Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, hay, champaca, and leather accord.

Wow. This is a really interesting scent. I've never tried a blend with a hay note before but I love the smell of hay. The pumpkin is really subtle in this blend and not foody at all. There's a slighty spicy note and I definitely get the hay note. The leather is very soft and not at all obvious as it is in Western Diamondback or Quincy Morris. I'm getting a bit of something that reminds me of Luctor et Emergo by POTL and I wonder if that's the champaca or the hay.

I'll need to wear this a few times to be sure. Right now it's a definite winner for me.

Edit: I wore this today and was sure there must be cinnamon in it. But I didn't get a skin reaction like cinnamon usually gives me. Today I also didn't get the PotL note as strongly.

ETA: Another wearing and the spicy note is stronger. Now it reminds me of super strong potpourri like you buy at a craft store. It's making my sinuses unhappy :(

Pumpkin, hay and leather. The hay is particularly strong, with the pumpkin and leather coming in later. Not foody at all.

Smells like someone who works with horses, outside during the fall.

Upon first dab Cinnamon wallops me with unrelenting presence and becomes cloying, persistent and strong. I can't smell any pumpkin at all :( and the leather and hay commingle into something dreadful, like BO. I wanted so badly to like this one though...

I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this blend, it's foody yet not foody at all. Hay leaps to the forefront with the spice-cinnamon note others have mentioned, but it's neither screams its presence nor goes craft-store spicy. The pumpkin and leather are quite subtle, and the champaca so much I wouldn't know it was there without seeing it in the notes list. Hopefully aging will bring everything else out, and I'll definitely be grabbing a bottle.

EDIT 11/15: Going to forgo a bottle after all. The hay's too front-and-center and it's making me sneezy. icon_sad.gif

Edited by thatbrownelf

I don't know what I expect out of the pumpkin patch - it seems that it's all sweeter than I was hoping. I think I was hoping for more fresh pumpkin scent and less pumpkin-pie scent.

In the bottle: Leather pumpkin caramel pie.

On Me: Wet: The sweet pumpkin caramel scent stays but the hay note comes forward a little more. The hay note makes pumpkin smell a little nutty, which is awesome. Leather is missing on me when this is wet but picks back up as it dries. Very, very sweet. Like someone rubbed a pumpkin pie on a saddle in a fall barn.

Same pumpkin spice smell as the rest of the pumpkin patch's. This one may be bit more spicy, but not getting any leather or hay, though I feel a bit sneezy sniffing my wrist.

I was excited to try this one, because I like Hay Moon, leather and a lot of the pumpkin patch blends, but this year's pumpkin blends seem a lot spicier than the previous ones ever were. I can't pick out any of the listed notes with this, it just smells like sharp cinnamon on me. Way too heavy on the spices :(

Imp: Cinnamon and spice. Definitely the pumpkin pie vibe.

Wet: Heavily cinnamon backed by the hay, which is getting roflstomped by the cinnamon. No leather at all to my nose, which is disappointing. I love leather blends.

Dry: Along with the cinnamon, it inexplicably becomes soapy in the drydown. Definitely a no :(

Wet: Spice.

Drying down on my skin: Spice. More spice. Great billowing wafts of pumpkin pie spice.

If I put my nose right over one of the application spots, I can juuuuuust barely pull out a whiff of sweetness from the champaca and a hint of the hay note from Hay Moon. Otherwise I'd go so far as to say this is allspice allthetime! (hee, see what I did there?)

ETA: Some of the Pumpkins have been problematic for me in the past because I don't do well with that particular buttery note a lot of them have; the good news is that if you have the same issue, there's nothing to worry about here -- no buttery note at all.

Edited by Wwindy

In the decant: That's similar to the hay note in Hay Moon--a little goes a long way!

Wet: Yay, the pumpkin appears so that the hay won't be alone.

The dry-down: Not sure what to think of this. The leather is a soft sueded leather, which is good. Might be best as a room scent. More masculine than feminine.

Ah, this is a weird one.

Fresh on out of the decant, I get this fascinatingly wild, almost nutty outdoorsy scent -- like somebody plunked a Starbucks down in the middle of a forest clearing. Feral but slightly foody at the same time! After a couple of minutes of drydown I start picking up on the leather and champaca... ah yes, there are definitely awesome hippies in leather vests hanging out at this woodland Starbucks. Aaaaaannnnd... then everything disappears but the cinnamon. I'm left with nothing but dry, spicy cinnamon. It's a shame, because for about five minutes this was a crazy intriguing blend. :(

Imp: wet (as in, being ruined it's so wet) leather

Initial on skin: Yup BPAL spiced pumpkin

Drydown: :nervous:

I don't even. Maybe age is hard on hay. This smells like "BPAL's Spiced Pumpkin Scented Crayon".

The leather is strong on me, and clashes awful with the pumpkin. Crayons everywhere. Blech. Life was not good to you, little imp.

I received this as a frottle from a lovely decanter and I’m enjoying it, even out of season.

At about 9 years old, Pumpkin I sits on me as heavy pumpkin generously spiced with cinnamon and warmed with hay and champaca. It’s easy to picture a candle-glow warmth to this blend, like a light in a jack-o’-lantern. The leather is absent.

Really, this is straight up, simple Halloween. I’m okay with this.