Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Goldenrod Crab Spider

White mint, coconut, Indonesian champaca flower, lime rind, white ginger, and green tea.

This is a fairly interesting, tropical concoction.

Fruity from the bottle, a swirl of the lime, coconut and tea. On the skin, the coconut blooms and becomes very apparent. It is backed up by the lime, and the mint adds a hint of sweetness. Both the awapuhi and champaca throw this quickly into summery, sticky, island-exotica territory. My skin does tend to amp coconut, but overall this turns out to be a very pretty, wearable perfume. At this time (Fall 2012) it's a bit escapist and tropical for Halloween.

Over time, it's mostly a whisper of coconut. Very fleshy, meaty.

Mmmm.

Om nom nom nom.

Yep, that's pretty much what my brain did as soon as I smelled this. I am not always sure what champaca is supposed to smell like, but I can honestly pick out each of the other notes. I think this is such an intriguing scent. There's a really nice warm element to it (coconut, and I assume champaca), but also lots of little zings (ginger, lime). I agree that I feel like I'm on vacation. Almost like the tiki lounge, but less booze and more warmth and smoothness. This would be really great in warmer weather. I struck out with the first half of the Halloweenies but I thin this will be the first this season that I have to upgrade to full bottle!

It all blends together into a really nice and smooth scent. Warm and tropical and not over-the-top. Just perfect.

Edited by neuilly

This scent is really quite lovely! The coconut and ginger really stand out. When wet, it's very tropical, I'm being reminded of something like an Atomic Luau Lounge scent. It's fresh, light and not overpowering. On the drydown, a note comes through that's almost plastic smelling (lime rind maybe?) but thankfully it fades once the oil has really settled into the skin. All the notes seem to come through in a beautifully balanced blend, the only one I don't quite get is the champaca flower. Overall I really like Crab Spider but as others have also said, this doesn't seem fitting for a Fall or winter scent. I would definitely wear this a lot in Spring and Summer!

I definitely agree with the fresh, tropical, Atomic Luau Lounge vibe. I love this when it's first applied: I get the mint and ginger for sure, with a hint of coconut and zestiness from the lime rind. I don't detect the green tea per se, but I'm sure it's adding a freshness to this scent that is quite nice.

Over time, an odd chemical-like note creeps into this on my skin. I'm not sure where that's coming from. After a bit it fades and the scent becomes "island paradise" again.

Pretty and fresh, but my beloved Sumai No Sechie fulfills this niche in my perfume box, I think.

Om nom nom nom.

OMG. I think I love a blend with coconut in it. I get giant hits of lime, some coconut wafting in the breeze, ginger and mint. This is fruity, coconutty, fresh, and limey.

Seriously, I'd get the cephalopod BO, and layer it with this and be this awesome coconut tropical drink.

SO AWESOME.

In spite of the fact that is inspired BY A SPIDER :ack: I adore coconut, mint, ginger... you see my dilemma. I will walk around smelling like a spider if it smells as good as I think it will. Oh, the sacrifices one must make in the name of scent! Holy crap, right out of the imp, it's amazing. Tons of coconut, a smidge more lime than I'd prefer, and really that's all I get when it's wet. I could be oh so happy with it as is but I'm hoping to get some of the champaca and ginger to show up. I definitely get the tropical drink references and whoever said this was Tiki Lounge sans the booze was right on the money.

This might be the only Weenie this year that I've considered buying a full bottle of (but the spider on the label makes me have panic attacks, so that's out the window, lol). Everyone else has already described this well. I don't get much of the mint or floral (maybe a cool feel from the mint), which I'm happy with, but I get lots of sweet, creamy coconut whipped up with energizing ginger, lime, and tea to give it a fresh, tropical drink edge. It starts off as a big tropical burst and then fades quickly and becomes more of a skin scent on me after an hour. It smells clean and sweetly tropical. I like it and will definitely use my decant as a pick-me-up on some of the dreary winter days ahead.

Aunt Rosie's All Purpose Cephalopod Bath Oil *gasp* is that you?

I don't mind spiders when they're not actually crawling on me, actually there is one on the ceiling right now. I usually let them be I only take the occasional outside-spider out of the house. (It helps that there aren't any spiders in this country that can kill you.)

Goldenrod Crab Spider starts out nice and tropical with a layer of fruitiness. The coconut isn't very apparent when it's wet, it's there but in the background. This is a fun scent so far.

This isn't a morpher on my skin it stays true to the wet phase though it does warm up a bit. Goldenrod Crab Spider has a good throw.

I love this but I do love a good tropical scent. A definite bottle for me, though I'll probably save it and wear it in the summer.

Thoughts before testing: I love all of the notes listed here and I'm really hoping that this works!

Wet: Ooh pretty! I get nice zingy hits of lime and ginger with just a hint of tea and coconut. Very pretty, very tropical!

Dry down: The coconut comes out a little more and isn't sweet or foody at all. The champaca flower is really pretty here too and is working with the coconut to give the lime/ginger combo some nice depth.

Dry: Gingery, floral, coconutty goodness! The lime is mostly gone about 2 hours in, and what's left is just beautiful.

Final thoughts: This lasted a surprisingly long time on my skin, and is just too pretty for me to resist! It definitely doesn't feel like a fall perfume to me at all but that's ok by me!

Verdict: Bottle-worthy!

In the bottle: LEMON. Followed by coconut. It's like the best parts of a pina colada! :rofl:

Wet: OM NOM NOM lemon and coconut. My husband is going to hate this (because he hates coconut) or TMI

think it smells like sex since we are hippies and use coconut oil as lube

I'm excited because I just tested Boo! 2012 a few days ago and it went all lemon-y on me in a Lemon Pledge, totally gross way, and this citrus note is not like that at all. It is delicious and fresh and fruity and sweet, backed by that delicious coconut.

Drydown: When I sniff directly at my elbow bend, the citrus has gotten much less sweet. When I sniff from throw distance, it's sweet coconut with slightly sickly-sweet artificial lemon behind it. Not so sickly-sweet that I don't want to wear it, mind (oh my god, where am I gonna get the money for a bottle of this, it's like summer sunshine in the best way), but how much the lemon complements the coconut and how much it :trout: it instead seems to vary as it dries.

While I'm waiting for it to dry, I'm going to scroll up and look at the consensus and the actual notes.

Heh. It's LIME rind, okay, fine. I imagine some of the lemon/lime scent also belongs to the tea and possibly the mint(probably a lot of the front/top of the note: the freshness), although I barely smell the ginger. I am guessing the thing that smells chemical and gross on me is the champaca, as I do not like florals and they return the favor.

My husband just got home, so here's his verdict

Husband: It smells like a bathroom.

Me: :blink:

Husband: It smells like the kind of soap or potpourri you put in a bathroom to cover...scents.

Me: :uhuhuh:

Husband: Specifically, it smells like the kind of soap or potpourri my mother puts in bathrooms to cover scents.

Me: :huh?: :rasp:

I want to post this before bed, so I'll post my final notes on dry scent, throw, and wear length tomorrow. But I think, in conclusion: :wub: And :neener:

Edited by Cadenza

OMG OMG OMG OMG, YOU GUYS, OMG. You know what Goldenrod Crab Spider reminds me of? (And this is going to date me as a BPALer...) Tarot: The Star. Yes, you heard that correctly - Goldenrod Crab Spider reminds me of Tarot: The Star. Where The Star was bright and crisp and cold coconut and lime, Goldenrod Crab Spider is warm, lush, and sexy coconut and lime - with just a hint of champaca that reminds me of Temple Viper from the Snake Pit. <3 I'm so happy with this bottle of happy goodness, I just don't even. <3

This ends up being a creamy, bright citrus on me. Kind of like a lime starburst would taste like, but with a hint of coconut. It fades rather quickly on me, in a little over an hour, but it is nice while it lasts. I may upgrade to decant, but probably no bottle due to the fast fade factor on me.

On an aside, I'm probably one of the few weird ones who love spiders. Mainly because they kill flies, but they have interesting symbolism.

in the bottle: coconut with a hint of lime

wet on the skin: limey green tea and coconut

drydown: The lime chills out a little and I get some added fruitiness from the champaca + ginger.

Not really getting any mint from this, but I think it might be hiding in the lime/green tea territory. This is not at all what I would've expected from a 'weenie (it's sort of tropical drink meets green tea), but come spring/summer I think I'll wear this a lot as it is really lovely! I do love me a green tea scent.

Buttery coconut and champaca zapped with lime and mint. Damp, sweet, and refreshing. When it's dried down, it loses some of the green bite and becomes creamier.

As others have mentioned, this seems like a warm-weather scent, but I've been enjoying it a lot during this recent rainy period.

I didn't give this a proper test when I first bought it because it seemed more like a summer scent. It's still a bit early in the year for this kind of scent, but I wanted to test it before I put in my Luper order (I'm contemplating a bottle of Rigorous Love, and since Goldenrod Crab Spider and RL both have coconut and citrus, I wanted to make sure they smelled different enough to be worth having bottles of both.)

This wasn't nearly as sweet as I'd expected. The lime is a fairly realistic lime *rind*, not limeade or lime candy, aromatic and a bit sharp, even slightly bitter (the green tea may be reinforcing this). It reminds me of a squeezed-out lime half left over from making homemade limeade, with a bit of juicy flesh still clinging to the inside of the rind. There's a bit of minty coolness, but not enough to leave the production smelling like a candy cane or mint tea. The coconut provides a sweet, smooth base and ties the whole production together. I don't get much floral. I wasn't expecting the sharp edge, but a little bite is quite appropriate for a spider scent.

I'd like to try this in hot weather. I think the slightly biting quality might be quite refreshing under the right circumstances. It's also given me an idea for a possible summer drink (coconut milk, sweetened green or jasmine tea, fresh lime juice, and a sprig of mint).

Oh my goodness, this is so coconut on me. It's buttery and sweet, which is normally a really good thing, but it reminds me of my coconut/shea body wash with a hint of lime. I prefer my perfumes to remind me of something other than daily life. LOL

Very nice! But not for me.

This was an unsniffed bottle purchase because all the notes sounded wonderful.

Someone in it went sour on me though, maybe it was the champaca flower? Or the lime rind? I'm not sure but I tried it twice and both times it started sort of okay and then went off. So I sold it, and I've added champaca flower to my "approach with caution" list.

In the bottle it's definitely tropical, with coconut and flowers, but it's also a bit on the cool and refreshing side thanks to the lime and mint. Rather than reminding me of a sunny beach, like many of the tropical blends, this is more a damp, green rainforest.

On my skin a pineappley fruit scent comes out a bit when it's fresh. As it dries, it's almost like a milkshake or smoothie... rich, thick, cool-fruity, tart/sour, but also with hints of spice from the ginger.

I imagine drinking this frothy concoction out of a coconut shell, while in the humid rainforest with flowers nearby. Amazingly evocative scent. I wouldn't have expected a Halloweenie to be one of my top tropical blends, but BPAL is nothing if not full of surprises!

Edited by sunlitgarden

A lovely coconut-lime-floral combo that feels soft, cool, and tropical! It's pretty light, and the throw is low on this cold, low-humidity day, so I'll probably apply more generously next time.

This is one of the biggest morphers on me that I've tried. Initially, its got an almost musky scent to me (I am not good at picking out notes), then it turns a little cloying and floralish. Once its totally dry, I get a bit of a plastic scent, I think that is the coconut. Its not nasty, but not something that's working for me.

I'm not a fan of florals at all, so I think my eyes just skimmed past that part and saw "lime, ginger" and thought I needed to buy it. So far, no coconut has worked on me.

Decant sitting in plastic imp for the last couple years.

Wet: sweet, island floral, hint of coconut. I agree about it being more of a Spring scent. Overall, pretty light with very little throw.

Drydown: Smells a bit like the home fragrances of Hawaiian Islands. Bit of the lime and ginger peeking through. I think the coconut is the sweet base that pulls them together, but not overwhelming.

Overall: success

Wet,it smells lovely of lime, ginger, and green tea as well as champaca. Wet on skin I'm getting coconut too! Yum!! I'm not getting the mint just yet that I can distinguish.

The champaca flower is making a stronger appearance now which I don't prefer.

This has now dissipated into nothing. Starts out pretty then strong floral, calm g down to something pretty and then nothing.

Imp: Super herbal and green

Initial skin: Remarkably floral at first, but quickly fades off.

Drydown: Super smooth base that reminds me of vanilla, but not vanilla scent. Like a coconut milk floral drink. On top of it is sparkles of lime and gentle ginger. It blends really well together. It's a bit faint, I wish it had more uumph because I would really love this.

Initial morpher, I had to wait at first. But it blends into a smooth, gentle, key-lime coconut slush. Really relaxing to sniff. I looked at the picture on scentbase - and this scent is EXACTLY THAT SPIDER! It's fragile, unimposing, but yet somehow flawlessly and eerily beautiful.

hmmm going to keep this imp and try again. I think it will be a fader, but something about this scent really draws me in. We'll see how it does as a room scent too.