Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Tomb of Zai

The Tomb of Zai, Sidney Sime.
Frankincense, myrrh, cassis bud, Moroccan rose, and lily of the valley.

Rose, resins and a hint of lily. This is a warm resinous blend, with a brush of cassia (which adds a note of spice) and a hint of rose.

Pretty.

This needed a lot of resting before I could smell anything at all. Now I get soft slightly sour frankincense and a hint of rose and lily of the valley. It's still very quiet and barely there.

The resins amps a bit when it dries down pushing the rest of the notes away then the whole blend fades quickly. :huh?:

I thought I was going to love this one, as all of the notes were a win, but I could hardly smell it either. All I got was a very faint lily that was completely gone within thirty minutes. I even doubled my usual application and still couldn't really smell it. How disappointing.

Imp: Soft, delicate florals and frankincense.

Wet: Slightly spicy rose and lily backed by the frankincense. So far the rose isn't amping like crazy and it smells quite pretty. It's different from what I usually like but if the myrrh and frankincense keep up their end of the bargain, this could turn out to be a surprise winner.

Dry: I should know better than to trust rose from stomping all over everything else. Although the frankincense has managed to retain a foothold and it smells rather pretty. Too bad I still haven't come to terms with rose.

I expected this to be a heavy rose & resins blend, but it's mostly a faint, soapy lily and hints of dusty, dry frankincense on my skin. It dries down with more of a sour, perfumey rose scent, but is still pretty light on me. It's mostly a light, perfumey, slightly soapy floral.

Mostly resins on me, but they are rich and voluptuous. Just a teeny bit of sourness, at first, which I'm guessing is the rose, but gradally disappears. The rose comes out after a bit, and it becomes more florally than resinny, so kind of a resiny, sweet rose. Morphs rather quickly from resiny to soft floral. Nice, but I don't need any more.

Imp: Sweet wet resins and a hint of aquatic.

Wet: Dry flowers, frankincense, resins. On me, of course, expensive, resin-y soap! The myrrh goes a little salty, as it often does, so it becomes expensive resin-y soap by the seaside.

Dry: This just fades away on me. Too bad, because it was clean and fresh for a while there. Oh well!

Really! I don't even like frankincense (so I thought!) on first sniff I thought for sure this was champaca with some beautifully mellow and blended tropical fruits . Apparently, aged 3 years, something extremely pretty happens. What's in this that's so light, sweet, and gorgeous? Color me surprised.

In the imp: Lemony frankincense?

Wet: Hmm. Yeah, lemony frankincense.

Dry: A very light, slightly floral incense. Lovely.

I really like this!

Wet: Immediately it's a powdery floral on my skin (I adore powdery florals!), along with some sweetness. Rose for sure, but I am getting some ylang ylang vibes, too.

Drydown: Same as wet, but LOTV comes out more and creates a freshness that is almost aquatic on me. Not soapy, dryer sheets, or salty - just dewy and fresh. There's something citrusy now, too. Rose and frankincense can have a lemony quality, but this is more like a lime. The citrus is far in the background, but it's definitely there.

Dried: The myrrh and cassis must be combining to create an impression of golden amber. The scent is no longer powdery. It's just a lovely sweet, resinous amber. Soft and comforting. 

4.5 out of 5 stars.