Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
strahlend

Buen Viage

Buen Viage, Francisco de Goya.
Tonka bean, red sandalwood, black pepper, vetiver, hiba wood, turmeric root, and Ceylon cinnamon.

Sniffing from the decant – vetiver and pepper with a sandalwood backup.

Skin testing – This is intense stuff. I'm still getting mainly pepper and vetiver, but I can tell there's something in here rounding it out a bit. This is starting to smell very familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. The sandalwood and tonka are trying to emerge, the more it mellows out the better it's getting. It seems like there's almost something fruity in here. I don't detect cinnamon (as I know it) at any point.

Over time this scent has really grown on me. It's now reminding me of a Snake Pit type of scent. Silky, rich, smooth, vetiver and gently woody sandalwood, but so much more than that, things that don't seem to be accounted for by the note list. The scent swirls around me and I catch myself thinking 'what smells good?' then I realize it's me. This is one of those times when the dry down is absolutely worth the (relatively short) wait. I can tell this will cling to my skin overnight and I'll likely wake up with it in the morning.

I expected to love love love this and I actually had to wash it off. :(

There is something very chemically about it and it just gets sharper and more acrid as it wears. Something in here is not for me, and I have no idea what it is, maybe turmeric? Because all of the other notes are ones that i generally like a lot.

Vetiver, pepper, tumeric and cinnamon. On a bed of sandalwood. Indian spices + sandalwood = Indian spice market.

Savory, spicy, fiery.

All vetiver with something smoky. It's somewhere between woodsmoke and incense. Very intense.

After the vetiver has burnt off a bit the spices come out, the tonka ties it together and adds a creamy layer. Heady, smoky and spicy, definitely an intriguing scent!

This was much smoother on me than I was expecting from the notes; the tonka makes everything very creamy. The cinnamon and vetiver came through mostly, but I did get a bit of the sandalwood once it was starting to wear off. I definitely got more "cozy" than "fiery" out of this - if it was a bit spicier or grittier, or just a touch less sweet, I might need more, but I think I'll be happy with my decant.

Buen Viage is mostly smoky vetiver on me with sharp black pepper and sharp cinnamon that reminds me of potpourri. It's a heavy scent on me and was really strong for the hour I wore it before washing it off (was starting to give me a headache.. I'm really sensitive with spice & smoky notes).

Imp: I didn't have the note list available when I tried this and my notes say "resins and incense". I think it's the pepper and vetiver that gave it that feel.

Wet: Really yummy smoky incense. Again, that was probably the vetiver and black pepper, and possibly the sandalwood.

Dry: Sandalwood with a touch of smoky incense. Ahh nose, you didn't let me down since there is indeed sandalwood in this! It's quite a lovely scent, I may seek out a partial.

A bit of spice and vetiver at first. Vetiver becomes more muted as it dries, and it's resiny, slightly spicy and an odd touch of somthing sour. I thought this would be a more aggressive spicy blend from the notes, but it's not on me. As time goes on, resiny with a touch of cassia. Not bad, but I don't wear a lot of spicy blends.

Yay, this was an Xmas present from my friend! When applied it was a very strong, almost astringent wood and I was kinda worried. However, after a few minutes that went away and I was left with a smooth, smoky, spicy wood. I find it to be really lovely, kind of like how a cigar box smells. I think that this blend is pretty gender neutral and would smell great on a guy. Bonus that it's a Goya label! This is a great blend and I can see myself wearing it often, especially in the winter.

ETA: At the end the sandalwood stands out really nicely.

Edited by Innocuousmold

Buen Viaje is strong and spicy on my skin, but with a sweet side; after getting to try the tonka SN, it's fun recognizing some here! I'm not sure if I recognize the hiba wood but I think it's adding a little freshness to round out the sandalwood. My one worry is tumeric: it likes to amp on me, and here it's straining at the leash, just on the verge of taking over.

ITI: Hiba wood has this beautiful, fresh, and aromatic quality when paired with red sandalwood. It transports me and calms me a little. Hmm, I like this already.

Wet: Hiba wood is still the dominant note, but now I get cinnamon and a touch of tonka paired with the sandalwood. It's deep, exotic, woody...just gorgeous.

Dry: It's such a lovely scent dried as well - wood, cinnamon, sandalwood, sweet tonka, and a touch of smoky vetiver.

Imp: Wood. A dry wooden box that's been used to store spices, and a light grassy vetiver. It's dry and grounding and exotic and smells just faintly of lemongrass as well to me. Very pleasant!

Wet: Black pepper and sandalwood and tumeric, but surprisingly not at all veering towards Indian food. Just that same dry wood/spice smell. This actually reminds me a bit of Clemence, but minus the paper and flowers.

Dry: Incense stored in a lovely wooden box in the hot dry summertime. This is surprisingly lovely, but I have lots of very similar scents.