Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Lich's Laboratory Atmosphere Spray

Hissing vials of acid, swirls of thick incense, creeping mosses, flecks of grave loam, and noxious potions clutter the blackened stone biers of an abandoned burial vault.

Lich's Laboratory is fairly masculine and resinous. It smells like opium, a touch of licorish and resins. It's oddly appealing.

This stuff is so good. I hope it does eventually get released. *crosses fingers*

There's heavy spices-- lots of clove and vanilla, possibly some nutmeg-- though I don't get that pumpkin pie spice smell, just a lot of baking spices and exotic spices. I want this as a wearable oil, it's just so delicious. The vanilla is strong-- not bakery at all. It's dark and swirling and nearly alcoholic. Pretty much vanilla extract exactly. There is a big kick of beautiful dark amber and musk combination I find very reminiscent of Haunted. I will assume the musk is a black musk then.

This is wonderful. I can't begin to describe it to it's fullest justice. It's electric, creeping, heady, and spicy. I imagine immediately the undead home town from World of Warcraft, and imagine that this is what this would smell like. Who knew that reanimated flesh and magic would smell so yummy!

I love this! It's dark and resinous while still oddly cozy and fills the whole room. I want this as a wearable oil too!

Overall, this reminds me a lot of the set stage of Brahmin. Lots of clove, amybe other spices as well. It's a bit strong for me for a room spray - gives me a headache.

To me, this is similar in feel to Unspeakably Evil Temple. However, LL doesn't have that firy sense. It does smell almost like something roasting though. (Must be spices.) I get some spice and probably myrrh and wood.

Edit: After reading the ingredients, I get mostly moss, but moss tends to smell a bit spicy to me sometimes anyway. Or it could be the acid. Anyway, the incense is still amazing and autumn-like.

Nice scent for a laboratory. Or, excuse me, a la-BOR-a-try. :lol:

May not be for you if you think moss smells fusty or you dislike any scent that could be considered manly.

Edited by patina

Got this in a freebie with my Lab etsy order. Love! To me it's the smell of dank decay. I am transported to a cloudy afternoon deep in the woods while the smell of mossy earth and damp oak leaves wraps around me. I smell vetiver I think, like someone has placed his cologne soaked jacket around my shoulders to ward off the chill.

Really nice and autumnal.

Clove and black pepper and no decaying flesh at all ;) It makes me think of the sort of spicy cologne an extremely sexy dark haired man would wear - a sort of mix of spice and sex and danger. I love it!

Well I could be in scent overload but I am getting fizzy celery soda but I kind of dig that it does. I sprayed my linen closet so I am excited to check it later to see if it has changed some.

I got a tester of this with my BPTP order.

When sprayed, it starts off being the smell of water and stone and darkness-as though you're in the dungeon of an old, haunted castle. As it has a chance to breathe, it retains that initial scent and adds a delicious, resinous incense. I LOVE this!

This came as a lovely little extra in my Halloween order. Gosh, how to describe this? Very evocative of moss covered stone and earth. There's a heavy, vegetative decay vibe without being a funk. I get some of the spiciness others have described but mostly it's mossy decay and heavy incense. It reminds me just a tad of Zombi. I dig it!

In bottle: Loam dominant with stone and moss in support. The incense and the acid/potions creep up on one a little, twining through the loam corrupting it with an herb and chemical mix that suits the conceopt well. The results are uncomfortable, but compelling. The moss seems to be bridging the loam/stone with the alchemical elements. I bet there’s mushrooms in the potions. There’s also this chalkiness that suggests bone. It'’ very well designed to convey it’s concept, but it’s not something I want my home to smell like.

The moss is over powering and this comes across smelling like dirty feet and just plain dirt. Its not something I would want my home smelling like.

So, yeah... Lich's Laboratory smells like crazy mad scientist on a bender. I smell decaying plants, dirt, and the barest hint of incense. It's very overwhelmingly dark and dank, just like I'd imagine a stone dungeon to be. Not exactly the best scent for bedtime spritzing, but interesting nonetheless. :)

Weird. I don't get any of the clove or incense that a few other reviews have mentioned, unfortunately. My sample of Lich's Lab smells mostly like sour, damp moss, a bit of dirt, and something like soapy men's cologne.

::: Lich's Laboratory :::

What a surprise this was when the latest shipment arrived in the post! This is the first time an Atmosphere or Linnen Spray sample has been within reach. Ordinarily it is the wearable oils that pique the interest, but thuis was an invigorating experience! The notion that this would be a welcome addition to the catalogue of wearable oils is heavily supported here!

There is a good deal of Vanilla that Does seem like it would be found in a well-stocked pantry. The mosses are rich, heavy, and silkent, There is something like Teak or Oudh that gives Lich's laboratory a nice polish.

A keeper for sure!

The wife says It smells like I smelled Caramel Corn around the house... She asked if I was eating Cracker Jacks... O_o.

Lich's laboratory gets a 5 out of 5!

I got a sample of this a while back and finally spritzed it in my bedroom today because I'd run out of the scented candle I wanted. It was a good choice for an early autumn day - there's something warm and cozy about it that defies the description. I get a distinct warm sweetness - so odd, when the description makes it sound like it would be mossy and cool. There's a little bit of that dry suggestion of stone that I like in Black Opal and a few others that have a stone note, but it's definitely a warmer feel with just a small whiff of dry smokiness after it starts to fade.

I got a little on my clothes and I kind of want to spray my husband with this stuff. It would smell phenomenal on a guy, but it's sweet enough that I wouldn't mind spraying it in my sweater drawer to make my sweaters smell extra cozy.

This is a mossy cross between Perversion and Red Lantern. If you like either of those, and/or missed out on getting a Red Lantern Atmo and/or would like to experience either of those scents with a healthy dollop of moss and loam, then this is something you will probably like. While I think the Red Lantern atmo is pure perfection already, this really is a nice option for an earthier and more masculine vibe, with that same exotic, and spicy incens-y opium den feel. Definitely Red Lantern's sexy brother :smilenod:

Lich's Laboratory is all wet moss, lichen and deep, dark earth notes. For those of you who play World of Warcraft, this must be exactly what The Undercity smells like. I absolutely LOVE this stuff. This is another example of why BPAL and BPTP are so wonderful, where else will you ever find a room spray meant to make your space smell like a mad scientists laboratory? :lol: It's spot on perfect.

Received as a frimp from ObliqueRed's decant circle.

In the bottle it smelled like dirt, and I figured this would be one of those novelty scents where there's a solid concept behind them, but not necessarily a wearable one. Since it's an atmosphere spray and not a perfume oil I suppose "wearable" doesn't apply. This is fun. I sprayed my sheets with a bit and it is nice. Spot on for a mad scientist lab. It is dark and mossy and damp and ever-so-slightly incensed. Very glad I decided to try it despite my initial hesitation.

I love this! I bought a beautiful soft grey sweater coat which has that chemical "new clothes" smell. I don't want to ruin it by putting it in the washer so I just misted it using my Goblin Squirt of Lich's Laboratory. It was a perfect choice! It smells like sweet incense, licorice and damp moss. As someone upthread mention "oddly appealing." It's a perfect scent for the coat and definitely took away the unpleasant smell, replacing it with Mad Scientist Chic!

I got a sample of this from the Post. I don't really use atmo sprays but figured I would try out the sample.

Sprayed on my fleece: Incense is the dominant note when first sprayed. I smell a lot of things in here. A little dirt, and a spicy wood that at first reminded me of cardamom pods (but then I sniffed those to compare and it doesn't actually smell like the jar of them) or curry or other Indian spices. That part faded, though. It starts to smell more dusty as it dries. The overall smell of it is bitter, but it's not unpleasant, especially when sniffed from further away. It's pretty masculine but not really "cologney". The bitter aspect also fades somewhat as it dries. There's a bit of fennel/anise or similar in it. (Other reviews have mentioned "celery" and "licorice" - it's definitely an Apiaceous note.)

Edited by sunlitgarden

Goblin fresh from the Trading Post.

Sprayed on fabric, at first it is all rich, wet,  loamy, black, spoil.  After about 10 minutes, it transforms into spices that make me think of pumpkin pie, Dutch Apple pie, or mulled cider except without the apple or pumpkin (which makes it surprisingly non-foody.)  Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice?  For most of the fragrance's life, I get both the soil and the spice.  It's a very odd juxtaposition, and the notes don't blend, instead sort of just sit next to each other, but the affect is somehow quite pleasing and lovely.  There's something very watery in here, too.  But I don't get any men's-cologne (or any kind of cologne) vibe.  It's quite unisex - no, "neutral" feels like a better word.  Like, gender references don't even apply to it.

This blend is far lighter and more short-lived than any of my other Atmospheric Sprays. I like them strong, but there are some people for whom, and some times when, a subtler scent like this one is just the ticket.

i don't get any sense of a laboratory at all.  (And I know labs, I was a microbiologist.) In fact, I can't come up with ANY association that fits this odd combination of notes.  But that doesn't matter because it is so pleasant.  And it's fun to let my imagination just roam freely while sniffing this, just to see what random images might turn up.  To me, the wet soil note makes this clearly a rainy, outdoors scent. But how do the spices come in to that?  So intriguing . . .

Another odd thing about this spray:  it doesn't work in my CPAP machine.  Because pleasant smells make me sleep so happily and well, in the past I sprayed Atmospherics on my bed linens.  But using the CPAP makes it impossible to smell them.  So I switched to spraying them on the air filter of my CPAP, which works great.  Many of the scents last even longer that way - several days before I need to reapply.  But not this one.  I can't even detect it when fresh, in the CPAP.  So I spray it on my towels to scent my bathroom instead.

4 out of 6 stars.  I would give it 5 stars if it had more throw and longevity.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

i read it as musk but i guess it's actually incense? i get incense and greenery. green but earthy and then there is a warmth from the incense. a nice scent, which leans traditionally masculine.