BPAL Madness!
ellebelle

Fizzy Jack O' Lantern

1.5 oz gin
½ oz dry sherry
½ oz lemon juice
1 tsp pumpkin butter
2 dashes of Averna amaro

Pour the gin, sherry, lemon juice, pumpkin butter, and liqueur to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake that mofo and strain it into a rocks glass filled with ice and a strong, spicy ginger ale. Stir gently, and garnish with a cinnamon stick or human finger bone.

This is lovely! It's a bright, effervescent fizzy scent, reminiscent of the fizzy note in the atomic luau blends or perhaps velvet pink kitty. There is a light autumnal note in there from the pumpkin, but pumpkin haters take heart! It is not powerful. More it just adds a buttery richness to the scent. I love this and I see it being worn frequently.

Tart and effervescent. It's bordering on unisex/masculine; a rather dry, sharp and fresh scent. It has the same fizziness that some of Arcana's perfumes (Joy, some of the TSG scents). This is not a sweet girlie scent - it's a bit like Pumpkin Princess's male cousin; none of the heady spiciness of Pumpkin Queen, but with the same kind of pumpkin core.

Something in this disagrees with me, and I'm thinking it's the gin. It does smell yummy and fizzy in the bottle. When I first put it one, I noticed a slightly funky scent, but then the dry down was lovely. I made the mistake of slathering on more at that point, which brought out whatever the bad thing was again intensified. On top of that, I had a particularly awful day at work, so now it has a bad association going for it as well. It's a shame because the dry down really is lovely and reminds me of the champagne scents, which I love...but this one has to go. :(

Anything fizzy and alcohol and pumpkin will catch my eye. Fizzy Soda incense is my fave of all time! Only concern is the gin. I'm allergic to juniper. Despite the slight stomach ache and slight pounding head I get from it, I love Martin Miller's and Tanqueray Rangpur. Sad :cry2:

In the Bottle: FIZZ! Like a gin and tonic with lime, great start!

Wet: Fizz! Not as crazy as from the bottle, but omnipresent. A little creamy and buttery with still some citrus cutting through. Slight alcohol waft.

Drydown: All sorts of memories, here. This is the scent of a get-together at the bar with my friends, the upscale bar with loads of interesting martinis and cocktails in fall.

Dry: A bit short-lasting, but the creamy and only slightly pumpkin-y scent is still attached to my skin. It's like my memories of last month at the bar, hazy with a remembrance of vodka tonics with lime.

Effervescent gingerale w/ a wee pumpkiny sweetness but the sharp gingerale scent is present through drydown. Gets a bit warmer and creamier later and settles down to a soft scent without too much "throw" but retaining the fizz really nicely.

Edited by jolarocknrolla

This one is so much fun and I just *love* it. I adore anything Beth makes with pumpkin in and this is no exception - it's super sweet, bubbly and makes me smile. I don't need another bottle, but I am definitely keeping this one.

This is absolutely fizzy! In the bottle, it is like opening up a carbonated beverage in the way that it tickled my nose; I actually checked for bubbles! On my skin, it retained the super fizzy for about an hour, and now is gently flat. I like this much more than I expected to. I thought it would be a novelty scent and it is actually very wearable. It has a dry, sweet quality that I can't put my finger on. It's not at all beverage like at the two hour mark. I do smell pumpkin, but not foodie pumpkin. More like gourds.

i love the fizzy and champagne BPALs. and i love pumpkin. and i so wanted to love this. and it's nice, when wet. but as soon as it settles in, it goes funky on me mecry.gif

the most bizarre thing, for me, is that after about an hour it smells like Harlequin And Columbine... and just stays that way. blink.gif

Sniff: Fizzy & Bright. This reminds me more of dry champagne rather than gin. It tickles my nose hairs!

Wet: Stays fizzy, and the pumpkin is sneaking in now. It's a baked pumpkin scent, very faint. There's something sharp and refreshing, a touch of herbs I think, but mainly this is bright crispy champagne with the pumpkin sweetness underneath.

Dry: Fades quickly on me, but stays fizzy to the end. It's lovely when dry, just a tad sweet and the alcoholic notes never get too strong. A light sparkling pumpkin champagne, yum!

Alls I get is gin. The same note that brightens Velvet Pink Kitty and Blue Fire totally takes over here. I get a very slight lemon undertone, but absolutely no pumpkin or other notes.

Thoughts before testing: I've never tried a BPAL pumpkin before and I have a feeling that this is going to go terribly bad on my skin.

Wet: Wow! Fizzy and bright and lemony! Awesome!

Dry down: Still very fizzy and lemony, but I'm definitely detecting the ginger ale. I'm not getting any pumpkin or really anything else, but I'm definitely liking this so far.

Dry: The fizz finally calms down and mellows out into this really pretty ginger ale scent.

Final thoughts: I am so surprised by how much I like this and how pretty it is! It's not really foody, it's just a light and fun scent.

Verdict: Keeping!

I tried FJoL shortly after my decants arrived several days ago, and it was All Gin All The Time, with a hint of that scent that you get at the bar late at night when you know you should have stopped drinking about a drink and a half ago, and you're not quite sure if you're going to toss your cookies.

I had the decant in my Oh God Never Again pile, and decided to sniff it just to remind myself why it made me cringe. Smelling anything other than gin was enough to make me curious, so I applied the tiniest microdrop possible, away from pulse points...

This time, I can smell something else behind the gin. It is ever so slightly sweeter, and might have settled enough that I'm willing to actually give it a real test sometime if it continues down this path as it ages... and I'm feeling very brave. But for now, I think I might as well make some bathtub gin, carve a rubber duck out of a lemon, and climb in - that might tone the scent down a bit.

That being said, I do enjoy drinking gin (but apparently not smelling of it) so I may try out the drink recipe at our Halloween party this year. Hopefully that will turn out better.

Lots of fizzy gin at first. Soon, it changes to a mildly fizzy gin blend, nowhere near the 'in your face' summer gin blends have, like 21, or Velvet Pink Kitty. This is a milder version with a touch of spice and butter. Kind of a scent that's not bad, not good, but really kind of meh, it is mostly gin now, so I don't think I need any more. I don't get any pumpkin or lemon at all, just mostly gin.

Fizzy gingerale with a little bit of pumpkin spice. I like it, but I'm very seasonal with the scents I wear and this seems almost too summery with the predominant gingerale note.

I really don't like this one. I get the fizz from the gin and gingerale, a crisp lemon note, warm spices and buttery pumpkin. And the mix of all of that just feels very off & mismatched to me. Fresh, fizzy, spicy and buttery... it starts off strong on me, but fades a lot within a half hour, and is barely there by the one hour mark.

Gin and pumpkin!

For me, this is an odd mix. The gin is effervescent, but most definitely gin (why hello juniper). The pumpkin is slightly sweet and buttery.... and the combination ends up... ODD, for lack of a better term.

It's crazy how different people's reactions can be to BPAL. My roommate's immediate response to smelling the imp was "Ooh! Very pumpkin-y! And spicy!" As for me, I get a quick whiff of spice as I open the imp (and no or barely any pumpkin), quickly pushed out of the way by the scent of fizzy lifting drinks! The Lab’s ability to bottle the effect of carbonation never fails to delight me. I also get some citrus with an edge, from the lemon juice.

On my skin, the bubbles start to fade away over time, as they always do. I can certainly smell ginger ale; it reminds me of Bon Vivant, which I've always gotten ginger ale from rather than champagne. What remains is mostly the dry smell of the booze.

I would've liked this one more if it stayed as it was in the imp, but I like it well enough anyway.

This went all soapy on me! Smells great in the bottle though...

Edited by Alshneato

In the decant: Very fizzy citrus-pumpkin beverage!

Wet: Oh, dear, the citrus is amping! :(

The dry-down: The blasted lemon has just ruined this. :cry2: It is just doing that sharp thing.

In the imp: Like pumpkin dish soap, pumpkin and booze. An interesting night perhaps! But not something I care to smell like.

Wet: I don't want to be disgusting, but this is like pumpkin vomit and soap.

Dry: There's a creamy sweetness that I feel could be nice, but it's drowned out by the aforementioned vom/soap combo. Groce.

Bottle: Pure fizz, right up my nose.

Wet: Yummy gingerale! I wish I smelled the pumpkin, I am getting none of that.

Dry: Juniper and Alka-Seltzer. The good news is that I finally found something that I amp...bad news is that it is juniper. To be honest, I smell more like a Hairspray cocktail. (Gin + Sprite + Lemon twist = Hairspray). I bought this in hopes of a sweet pumpkin soda, but it turns out that I amp juniper like a rock star.

Evokes images of: Spilling a Hairspray cocktail on myself and chewing on an Alka-Seltzer tablet...damn tragedy. :(

To my nose: fruity, buttery rich and a hint of carbonation.

On: Fruity and sweet, still not a lot of carbonation, but it smells lovely! I smell lemon and what must be the ginger, it's a bit spicy but not too bad.

This one doesn't morph at all on me, it stays the same - and it stays very loud. After an hour or so I had to wash it off becuase it was just too strong and sweet. bummer.

Effervescent spiky scent. On the drydown i get the ambergis accord, which is supported by other alcoholic notes; still bright ambergis is what i get mainly on my skin.

Edited by theredkilt