Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

Aunt Rosie's All-Purpose Cephalopod Bath Oil

Makes washing eight tentacles as easy as washing one!
NOW SUITABLE FOR BIPEDS, TOO!

Keep those suckers and knobs squeaky clean and smelling fresh! Lush coconut, ambergris accord, sweet rice milk, Siamese benzoin, white ginger, and orange pekoe.

Origin: decant from a D*C circle

Initial Thoughts: I am growing rather fond of BPTP bath oils, even though I never take a bath (the tub in our house just isn't big enough for a proper soak). I will use them post-shower to smooth on my wet skin and make it soft and nicely scented. But many of the bath oils have a death note for me and I seized a chance to try this one.

In the Bottle: Very sweet and rich. Coconut and rice milk with an energizing shot of ginger and a stinging little poke of orange.

On the Skin: After a luscious post-shower wave of rice milk and ginger and that tease of orange, this settles down into mostly coconut and rice milk on me. It's so soft and gentle it's almost like a skin musk, like me but enhanced. Unlike my Polar Bear Plunge with its shivery mint or the shock of citrus in Exhibit Hall Fatigue, I could use this before going to work and not worry about offending someone with an overly sensitive nose.

Verdict: I think I'm going to have to keep a lookout for bottles of this at the Post or on eBay. Because I will most definitely use up this decant.

a friend shared an imp-sized decant of her bath oil with me (that's all i wanted - just enough to sniff it!)

and it really is coconut and rice milk. kinda reminds me a bit of a horchata i got at a restaurant a few times (rice milk, dairy milk and vanilla, at that particular place)

after a while, it gets this almost candied-cherry sort of scent which is what i associate with the most perfume-y gingers (like the awapuhi conditioner one of my college roommates used).

i don't like that awapuhi smell, and i don't like coconut, so this isn't at all for me. i had hoped for some actual tea in there somewhere.

but for fans of creamy coconutty scents, this'll be just your kinda thing!

This smells like apricot and coconut to me, it's soft and cuddly. I love it!

Edited by Monday

Everyone saying coconut & ricemilk is right on ... but instead of apricot i smell something more like watermelon, lol. It is very refreshing and nice and very Hawaiian somehow.

Lots and lots of white, sweet coconut at first, with a touch of lime, though that's not listed. Must be the orange. Dry, still coconut, less lime, but the whole blend has a 'fresh' quality to it, kind of like a fruity tropical drink, though I'd say this was less fruit and more coconut. I really like this, and will probably save the decant for my Hawaiin vacation in the new year.

This is really growing on me, though it's a real morpher. In the bottle, I get the ambergris and coconut and rice milk with a hint of tea. In the bath water, a little ginger, a lot more tea, still coconut and rice milk, lot less ambergris. On my skin afterwards, I smell like orange pekoe whole leaf tea - specifically - I know because this is the tea that is traditionally used to make good Southern sweet tea, I know that scent *well* and I smell - JUST LIKE orange pekoe whole leaf tea with just a hint of rice milk/coconut to give a slight creamy edge. Will be good for fall/winter especially when feeling a little sickly and when I just want to bathe in tea

Aunt Rosie’s All Purpose Cephalopod bath oil

(Skin test)

In vial: rice flower and astringent tea. A lot more tea-heavy than expected.

On skin: sharp greenish-black tea, a bit like fresh Tattered Lace, with undertones of coconut and sweet rice and a surprisingly strong hit of raw ginger. Not floral ginger, but the slightly lemony ginger from Kumiho or Baobhan Sith that seems to team up with the tea to make a very sharp citrus-astringent-spicy scent. I was hoping for a bit more creaminess from the coconut and rice milk, but those notes aren’t as strong as the sharp notes. The ambergris adds a bit of a ‘perfumey’ scent to the tea-ginger combination.

The drydown reminds me of a coconut version of Tamamo No Mae! It’s got a similar blend of sweet floral-creamy rice and benzoin with a sharp fruity tea and ginger combination. This would layer nicely with Tamamo and also Hungry Ghost Moon (both versions).

I was waffling about ordering the ambergris accord SN so I skin tested this bath oil.

Coconut and I normally don't get along even though I love the smell. But in this, it smells amazing. I smell like a sexy, tobacco dusted coconut macaroon.

In the bath I smell mainly orange pekoe but on my skin I get mainly rice milk... Very gentle and soothing scent.

I use a lot of bath oils because I'm an insomniac and bathing {or showering} before bed helps one sleep. Something about the body being warm and cooling down mimics what our body does as it goes to sleep so warm bath/shower to cooler room temp starts the relaxation process. According to rumor and my personal experience. The trading post bath oils I have used so far have been purposefully chosen to be calming and this one is the faintest of the bunch I have tried. I do have some heavier resinous oils but I haven't put them to the helping me sleep test yet.

Anyway if you are looking for something that will not mess with your scent du jour this one is a really good choice. Also last time I tested Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds I was strongly reminded of Aunt Rosie's so if you like that you might want to hunt some of this down.

edited to strengthen comparison of Roses, Pearls & Diamonds to Aunt Rosie's.

Edited by elka

Another I can't believe I haven't reviewed. Thank you to the lovely fairy that nabbed this for me :wub2:

It's lovely, lovely creamy coconut with just a slight kick from the tea/ginger. It's a skin scent and I often apply it just before bed.

ohmigod I looove this. it's a creamy coconut scent with hints of the ginger and orange pekoe. it's very warm and sultry and a little bit sweet. I cannot stop smelling my arm and I need a big bottle!!

The coconut isn’t terribly strong for me. I think the tea and ginger stand out the most. The rice milk gives it a creamy vibe. And it’s not overpowering. I’d say it’s a fruity floral tea.