Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
antimony

Whitechapel

A gentlemen's blend, possessed of dignity, charm and refinement, but in truth masking a corrupted, hideous, soulless core. White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

I was so excited about this one, when ordering...
So happy when sniffing the imp, which was pure lime.
So happy when first applying, and when the lilac came out to play and braid the hair of the citron...
And then, puff, evil-evil-evil white musk came out, and ate them all...
There is nothing left on my skin, but sweet white musk.... :cry2:
It's not that I hate white musk, I kind of like it - in winter!
But I hopped it'd be a nice summer scent... so disapointed.

when I first smelled this in the imp... I though"oh lemon liquor.. sharp, tangy... not manly"

wet on skin i thought" Creamy lemon ... lemon meringue... not manly"

I was about to give up when 5 minutes into the drydown it was more of the same.. and I like my man to smell manly! juniper... pine.. maybe dusty rose, very dusty... ok lavender... truth be told I'm not picky when it comes to "men" scents... lots of things can be masculine to me... lemon doesnt hit me as one of those.

then, out of nowhere, theres this glorious... this this... warm fuzzy musky thing going on... its the warm fuzzy in luperci, in wolf moon 04, maybe its just the smell of my husbands skin... but its dead sexy and dangerous...

And manly! (but I would wear it too)

~~whitechapel~~

I loved the description of this scent. It made me laugh. I was expecting something different than the notes that were listed in the description, but then again, i love surprise....

In the Imp: Oh my. Lemon Pledge without the furniture. My skin amps lemon, so this doesn't bode well...

Wet: Lilac and lemon, which i assume is like citron, cuz i don't know what citron is...sounds like citrus though!

Dry: The lemon is still running out front on this blend, almost making the other notes disappear on me.

Timelapse 1 hour: Ah! finally I smell lilac!! There's still lots and lots of lemon though.

Timelapse 2 hours: As usual, just when the going gets good, the scent gets going...I can't find it on my wrist....sigh....

Verdict: Lemony with a touch of lilac on me....

In the imp, this smelled very lemony. On my skin, even more lemony! I happen to like lemon, so I didn't mind, but I couldn't make out any other notes. On drydown, this started to turn very powdery. I was disappointed, and figured that Whitechapel was just another scent that didn't agree with me. About an hour after putting it on, I was pleasantly surprised when the powder faded and was replaced by LILAC! :wub2: Ahhh...much better! I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist for a closer smell. The lemon was still faint, but oh my goodness...the lilac is wonderful! So glad I waited this one out rather than wash it off!

citrus. i assume it's lime. it's strong, but not off-putting and lightens up significantly after a few minutes. i can also smell the lilac, but it's faint on me.

Wet, this is WOW LIME AND CITRUS. Now the lilac comes out after it dries...ehhhh. This gentlemen is a dandy. Maybe he's soul-less...the one thing I can say for certain is that he has a weak chin. And a bobbing adam's apple. And doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Overall, I don't prefer the combination of lilacs and lime. The freshness of the citrus makes the lilac seem cloying and just out of place, paired together (otherwise I quite love lilac).

"Ninety years ago I was a freak. Today, I'm an amateur. The future isn't what you thought - it's what I am."

- Jack the Ripper, in Time After Time

In the bottle, plenty of lime and citron with a nice musk and only mild lilac, which is nice because I'm not fond of lilac at all.

On first application, CITRON, and lots of it. Light lime in the background but yes, almost sheer citron. After drydown, a bit of the musk comes back, and fifteen minutes later it's taken the citron down a few notches which is nice. The lilac, happily, never makes an entrance. Another nice and fresh everyday scent, but too much lemon to really wow me. This is definitely a unisex scent, not overwhelmingly masculine nor feminine.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Whitechapel. I'm not really fond of the overwhelming citron scent at the beginning, but I like it a lot once the musk takes over again. I will keep my imps, but I think I'll take the full bottle off my personal wishlist. I'll grab imps of it when I can.

l o v e i t !!

If you know any scent like this - let me know!

It reminds me very much of Sensi (Armani) and that it is my favorite.

I wouldn't like to feel this scent on a guy - it works so much better on me :D on this rainy day with Tom Waits on winamp.

I agree that in the beginning everything is so citrus - maybe even too much, but after half an hour it become just too beautiful! Amazing! White Musk is great - it breaks domination of citrus.

If you don't like it - give to me :D :D

I wanted this to be like Shanghai, but with lime. That's how it was in the imp.

But then, skin chemistry struck: it turned into cleaner solution, into laundry detergent, into lilac. I've put it on a tissue, in a silk sock into my unmentionables drawer. Hopefully without my skin, it will keep the freshness. If not, I'm fine with my laundry smelling like laundry. But this won't go on my skin.

My brother got this one for a late Christmas present and generously allowed me to try it out...

In the imp: this smelled really nasty, like some kind of acrid chemical cleaner, which fortunately in this case was deceptive.

Wet on my skin: I could smell nothing but lime soda! It was fresh, fun, and unexpected and I really liked it. After it dried: I got white musk which mingled wonderfully with the lime. I don't know about the lasting time, because I had to wash it off early.

Overall, I would say this is a great scent. It's definitely not feminine (I imagine a very charming but Machiavellian guy, like the description indicates), but a girl could pull it off. Very sophisticated and elegant.

I got an imp of this from a forum member sale and its not what I expected at all.

I'm not a big citrus fan, but it immediately reminded me of lemon candy. On the skin, once it dries, I get light musk and lemon. Kinda reminds me of Pledge, which is definitely not my thing. Nope.

In the imp and wet this is biting, sparkling citrus with just a hint of sweetness underneath. It makes my nose tingle and I'm excited!

And it dries, and I pout. White musk goes incredibly sweet on me, and I amp it like nobody's business, so my skin just destroyed this scent. :rantrave:

In the imp: Limoncello! Mmm

Wet: Lemon air freshener :( Then, sherbet lemons.

Dry: Something florally nondescript happening now.

You were promising in the imp, Whitechapel, but it was downhill from there.

In imp: Very citrus

Wet: lemony scent (probably the citron). Hint of musk.

Drydown: Now I’m getting the musk and lilac, too. This is a very light scent, though.

Later: Turns into lemon Pledge on me. Just not going to work. Might do better on a man.

:::WHITECHAPEL:::

Whitechapel is bang-bang beautiful! Whitechapel is also out and out, throw on a pair of grandma's underwear, pound your chest, and bark at the moon bonkers.

Whitechapel may have the Silver-tipped cane, the top hat, and white gloves, but there is no getting around the fact that Whitechapel is mercurial-eyed, has filed it's teeth into points, and talks to candles.

Whitechapel is THE LOVELIEST blend of Lime & Lilac with a splish of Musk in there to put hair on it's chest.

Looking over some of the other reviews, more than one reference to fruit loops has popped up... Okee-duckin'-Folky!

Well, that could be one way to explain a cereal-killer... At least the limes were right...

Whitechapel is a compelling fragrance, making a dapper statement for Him.

Whitechapel is a cheerful, carbonated sort of green.

It would pair nicely with pinstripes and an ascot.

This fragrance has yet to fail getting a couple of compliments at least from she-folk.

Excelsior!

In bottle: limeade and lemon, mostly. The lilac is noticable, the musk gets eaten. Given what my skin does to citrus, I know this will be lemon pledge on my skin, so I’m not skin testing. It’s alrady overwhelming in the bottle.

This one starts out as a strong sharp citron, sort of a cross between orange and lemon. Unisex, but maybe leaning toward the masculine. It makes me feel powerful, but a little unsettled, as if something isn't quite right. After about an hour the citron has faded into the background, giving way to a soapy, musky sort of smell that I have mixed feelings about. The jury is still out on this one for me. If you like white musk, I'd say give it a try.

Jack the Ripper all the way!

In the bottle: Lime and citron!!! Two of my all-time favorite notes. Brilliant, charming, and handsome.

Wet on the skin: The citron remains but my beloved lime has disappeared :( The lavender made it's debut at this point.

Dry-down: The same as when wet, only it's taken a weird turn. There's something dark and sickening under the citrus and lavender. Vetiver? No. Eh.. I have no idea how to explain it. It has lost it's charm and has turned ugly.

Half an hour later: Musk, lavender, and lilac. A very traditional, but lovely blend. The dark undertone is gone (thank God) and Whitechapel returns to a sophisticated blend.

Verdict: A lovely, stately scent, but not one I'd wear on a regular basis since the lime disappears so quickly.

This was a lab frimp. In the imp, very lemony with a hint of sweet musk and maybe lavender.

Wet, straight up Lemon Pledge, both on me and the husband. Ugh.

Dry, on me, the lemon goes away, leaving a white musk/lavender combo that's really nothing special and way too masculine for my tastes. Dry on my husband, straight up Lemon Pledge. Still.

We don't know how long it lasts. Neither of us could wear it long enough to find out. On me it had minimal throw once dry. On him it overwhelmed the room. If you're a citrus lover, you may like this one, but if you're not, stay away. Stay far, far away.

Wet: lime based men's cologne with a nice floral backing. I can see the froot loops relation if I smell lightly. The white musk helps smooth out the edges so it's not sharp as hell.

Drydown: the lilac and citron are more pronounced and the blend is dryer (nicer). I can picture a lunatic much more clearly here. It's slightly like a de-concocted white version of azathoth. Sweet. I'm wearing both, one on each wrist today. When I'm bored, in my multiple meetings, I can imagine them duking it out.

In the imp: Strong citrus and musk and lilac. But it blends in a way that it smells like a bathroom freshener. Not digging it.

Wet: Wow it's strong citrus and lilac mashed by the musk. It reminds me of an old lady perfume. Still, not digging it.

Dry down: The lilac is very prominant on my skin, but it kinda has a burned plastic scent doing on. I get no lime. I like lime, but there's none to my nose. It's not a terrible scent, but not one I'll be using in the future. I'm glad I got to try it for namesake alone!

On wet: Lime! Very much lime, with a bit of sweetness that has me thinking of lime jello, sadly.

Drydown: After a bit, the lime dies back to where it's still present, but not overpowering. I'm not picking up any lilac, sadly, as that's one of my favorite florals, but on the other hand, the tea note isn't going to total soap on me either, which tea notes tend to do. Instead, there's the soft white musk and a light citrus note. It's pleasant, but I already have perfumes that have similar notes, ones that I prefer over Whitechapel's lime. I think I'll end up tossing this one into the swaps box.

In the Vial: Wow, the description of this is spot-on. I can pick out each note individually: the white musk, the lilac, the lime and the citron. The floral and citrus notes give this a fresh, breezy feel, but the white musk gives it a dark background, and the feeling that something isn't quite right.

Wet: The lilac shines for a few seconds before the citrus notes flare up over it. But, wait - the lilac is making a comeback! The white musk is much lighter now, and just barely hanging on.

Dry: This is so much lovelier than I'd expected! It's lost the darkness, and is now light, pretty, and cool. Everything has more or less evened out - but the throw (which is quite strong) is primarily lilac. This is described as a "gentlemen's blend," but it's smells more feminine to me.

An Hour Later: It hasn't much changed, but it has gotten very faint.

Overall: I am pleasantly surprised by Whitechapel! I adore lilac, and the white musk and citrus notes go very well with it here. It'll be a great summer scent!

Wet: Lime! I personally love lime and absolutely adored the wet stage.

Drydown: The beautiful lime has left and I'm left with something that smells like baby wipes. What?! Please let this scent be a morpher!

Completely dry: Pure baby wipes. Ugh.