Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
antimony

Whitechapel

A gentlemen's blend, possessed of dignity, charm and refinement, but in truth masking a corrupted, hideous, soulless core. White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

I put this on my husband and sniffed his neck all night.

Bottle: Powdery citrussy

Wet: I smell the musk, which translates to powder for me. I smell the yummy citrus and mmm, yum!

Drydown: The powder gets a bit more pronounced on my husband than I'd like, but it's a very nice unisex scent.
3.5 outta 5

Whitechapel

First thought, yummy lime candies. I would love it if it stayed at this stage, but citrus fades really fast on me. As it wears, the floral becomes more noticeable, but does not dominate. The notes together weave into a very clean, fresh fragrance that's on the powdery side.

[ 3 - Like ] Like most citrus notes, the beginning is fantastic, but it fades and morphs into something entirely different.

A lot of very quick note-taking right at the beginning, as this one shifted around a lot before settling down...

0 min: lemon and lilac.

2 min: lilac getting stronger. Think the lime's coming out a little, too.

5 min: pale citrus and lilac.

10 min: can't tell if that's the faintest hint of white musk or if I'm imagining it.

15 min: lilacs, with maybe a very faint hint of sharp musk in the background.

30 min: lilacs. *sigh*

1 hr: Liiiiiilacssss...

1.5 hrs: faint lilacs. I think there's a faint strangled hint of white musk somewhere in the background, but it's just not making it out.

I'll really never be able to wear this around John, I can't even look at tossing it in the warmer for the same reasons, and while I don't mind the smell, it's nothing special enough to be worth keeping. I'll be swapping this one, I think.

L&c,

F

in the bottle, it smells cologne...then on, nicely--like lemon drops or lemon verbena.

after a while on me, it smells sweet and pink, like little kid erasers from the eighties...somewhat like Dragon's Milk on me.

Maybe it's the lilacs? I dunno, but I like the smell. I am not sure I would wear it often, but I shall keep this impie.

imp: sweet, juicy lime. yum.

wet: lime musk. these are not two scents i would have thought went well together but they do.

dry: lime with soft musk and florals. very nice!

I must say I was really looking forward to Whitechapel, because I adore lime and white musk.

In the vial: beautiful musk and citrus!

Wet on skin: it's got quite a bite and a throw - I can actually taste the smell on my tongue! It's dry and sharp, mostly grapefruit and lime. No sweetness at all. And the colour is a very dark green.

Dry on skin: it's still very dry, but warmer and richer now, and rather masculine. But there's a rather odd note now - I don't recognise it but it's bitter and unpleasant - like BO only spicier. :P I think I need to wash it off now.

Next day: I tried it again and the unpleasant note is still there. I think it must be the hideous, soulless core, but actually my brain is telling me cat poo! Whatever it is, it makes what would otherwise be a magnificent scent quite unwearable! I even tried it in the ends of my hair but it was exactly the same there. :D

This perfume is so absolutely perfect on my boyfriend that I gave him my bottle, even though I like it a lot. I didn't find myself wearing it all that much, surprisingly. I think it's not butch enough for me for an everyday scent. :P

It goes to this lovely springy scent, iridescent yellow lime and sweet pale-purple flowers, and apparently white musk is gorgeous on him (it kinda disappears on me). Funny thing is, it's not even particularly cologney or masculine, nor does it have that "evil" edge that people here are talking about. On him, it smells just exactly that sort of genteel that he is. It's just a very clear, gentle, lighthearted, quirky, polite smell -- all adjectives that describe him, too. He says he wants to wear it to a picnic, but I suspect he's going to end up wearing it all the time.

Not nearly as citrusy as I was expecting. Only the lime really comes out, especially in the bottle. As soon as it hits my skin, it's like a musk explosion, and not in a good way.

I'm a bit torn- I sort of like it, but it suffers from the same too-lasting problem that Water of Notre Dame has.

I think, ultimately, it's headed for swaps.

In Vial: smells like limeade

Wet: Strong lime with nice floral in the background. As it dries the floral is getting stronger. It is really a lovely mix.

Drydown:Really lovely. It is equally lime and lilac. There is a hint of a baby powder smell in the background but not enough to put me off. It is lightly sweet. I cannot really see a man wearing this. Although I have not taken a poll :P I will just say I find that it would be gender neutral and loved by women too!

Later... the musk is making an appearence. The lilac is fading in the background but is still ever present while the lime and musk dance together. I am now beginning to smell the more masculine side, but I would still say it is very gender neutral. One person in particular keeps coming to mind as I smell this. The Lex Luthor character on Smallville. I think this is the type of cologne he would wear. If any of you out there know what I'm talking about, pm me.

Evoking Color: Lavender

Smells quite like limeade. I don't get really anything but the lime and citron notes.. very, very lightly detect the white musk but can't smell any lilac at all. It has a bit of that cleaning fluid quality to it when wet, too. Slightly powdery on the drydown but still cleaning fluid. It smells better after it's been on for a good long time, but still not good enough to buy a big bottle. I will be swapping this one.

Because I am a big geek, I was totally over the moon when I ordered an imp pack with this. I didn't even read the notes, I was just like "Whitechapel? I AM THERE!"

Imp: Sweet lemons and limes. Kind of reminds me of a gentler St. Germain.

Wet: More of that citrusy sweetness.

Dry: Citrus is the dominant note with some musk lurking in the background. I don't get any floral from this at all.

Throw: Decent. I have this on one wrist and Somnus on the other, and it is beating the crap out of Somnus right now.

Overall: Summer scent. I like it well enough but it seems a bit too clean for the winter months.

In the imp, this is lime and citron.

On my skin, citrus with the most gentle white musk - oh Lord, this is nice.

Mmmm, I could wear this all day long; the citrus over just a hint of the musk and lilac. So, so, so pretty.

in the imp: veeeery lime-y! :P

wet on skin: lime and lilac coming through. i would've never guessed these two would smell good together, but they really do- it's very summer time to me.

dry down: the lilac comes out a bit more, becomes more balanced with the lime. i get no other notes from this.

in all: a very gender-neutral scent, this is one to wear on the hottest of summer nights to give a reprieve from the heat. lovely, fresh, very light.

:D

In the imp: Lemon Drops? It's sorta like a lemon candy, but there's something really... white, about it, almost like clean linen drying on a line.

Wet: Really fresh, bright, with a hint of sweet lemon. It really does give me the impression of laundry line-drying on a really, really sunny day.

Drying: Gosh, this is just so bright! It's like a ray of bright-white sunshine, in an imp. I'm straining to smell the lilac, 'cause that's what I'm always looking for... maybe a touch of it, or maybe wishful thinking. It's already starting to fade a bit, too, which is a shame. I may give this one another shot some other time, with a good slathering.

First off - I adore Whitechapel and want to have its babies. It's that good.

In the imp: Faintly citrusy. Not very strong.

Wet: Lime and citron! Very much a green/yellow citrus. Sharp and tart and amazing. Now some lilac is contributing to the blend. Ok, now the lilac is taking over and the citrus is fading, which makes me sad, but citrus always fades on me, so it was expected. Oh, gorgeous white musk. It's now a lilac/white musk blend, and it's totally beautiful.

Dry: This settles down to be a truly stunning lilac/white musk blend. It's smooth and rich and light and feminine and everything that's right and true in the world. I adore Whitechapel.

In the bottle: Lemony fresh - smells sort of like lemon verbena to me, but I'm guessing that's the citron. I can smell a bit of lime, and a faint hint of lilac and musk.

Wet: Citron, lime, and musk, in that order. My skin has amped the musk as usual, but the lilac isn't any stronger, much to my dismay (I adore lilac). This is a slow-drying and potent oil.

Dry: The lime is mostly gone, but the citron and musk are still strong, and the lilac has crept out a bit.

Summary: I'm sad there wasn't more lilac, and the citron is just too overpowering for me. If it were a milder note, I'd like this much more.

This smells like mildewed fabric on me. None of these notes usually go unpleasantly sour on my skin, so I guess they just don't play well together. This is quite disgusting! :P

I really like this in the imp. It's a blast of bright yellow citrus. I don't smell anything corrupted, hideous, or soulless in this!

On my skin this smells like a lemondrop martini. Yum! Not pledge lemon at all! The musk and lilac and lime help save it from that.

The ONLY downside to this is that the fresh citrus gets eaten REALLY fast by my skin. This is one I would need to slather and slather to keep it at it's best, though it's full drydown is still a nice pleasant light musk with a drop of citrus.

I'm not RUSHING to get a bottle of this, but I wouldn't be sad if one fell into my lap :P

This is a really sharp citronella mosquito candle in the imp and for about the first 15 minutes on me. Then it turns powdery on me with a hint of really disagreeable citrus in the background. And then it gets really, really faint.

Unless something miraculous happens, I won't be keeping this.

Bright, bright citrus which is mainly compromised of lime. No problems with that here! The lilacs just gives the citrus a bit of staying power. I didn't get this for myself, it's a little too simple and bland for my tastes but it should go down well with the manly recipient. I sniff Whitechapel and I think of clean men.

Conclusion - Simple and clean citrus.

6/10.

Tried: 2008.05.20

In the bottle: Lemon. Sweet lemon. With a tiny bit of lime and lilac.

Makes me think of: The best lemon candies I ever tasted. Not too sour, not too sweet, just perfect.

Just applied: Happy shiny lemon, with sweet white lilac. Not much lime... it mixed with the lemon almost completely.

Makes me think of: A warm spring day, having a picnic under a lilac tree and drinking lemonade...

Drying: Very sweet, lemon starts smelling a bit less, lilac a bit more, and soft white musk shows itself.

Makes me think of: Still a warm spring day, but the lemonade is all gone... we're left with only cakes now.

Dried and fading: Very sweet, powdery musky lilac.

Makes me think of: Lilac-flavoured candies... if that even exists.

Final impressions: Very pleasing scent, but not at all what I expected. I don't see the "gentlemen" part at all. I would imagine it more on a cheerful little girl...

I wouldn't wear it much myself, but I'd gladly put that scent in my home on relaxed, sunny days.

Wet: Lime all the way! Wait. That only lasted a second, and now it smells exactly like lemon head candy.

Dry: continuing to smell like a lemon head for several hours. That's about all I get out of this one.

Whitechapel was recommended to me in my introduction post. At first I was hesitant but I am glad I took the advice.

In bottle: The lime is most present. It smells sweetly sour and delicious, like a lemon italian ice. The lilac is faint but detectable. It cuts the tart lime nicely

Wet: Still the lime and also the Citron. It is zesty and crisp but not too powerful.

Dry: The lilac reappears and the musk is faint but lovely. the Lime still goes strong.

After a while the scent lulls into a calm breeze of lemon tequila. I find myself catching whiffs of this as I move. I love it, very clean and reminds me of a beachfront bar, drinking tequila shots in the warm breeze.

Edited by Etheriel

Strong, tart lime. very refreshing, with a nice white musk drydown. Can go play-doh and soapy during certain times of the month, but most days the musk behaves and it's a sour, mouth puckering lime. I also agree about the citron, very subtle but definitely smells like a bit of bitter citrus in there somewhere.