Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
whataboutprom

Bub

A dog's bright, beaming memories of playing in the sun, rolling in the grass, and begging for table scraps.

Oh no. I don't want to be first on this one, because so far it doesn't really work on my skin. http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_sad.gif

Bub on my skin is a combo of strong soap, ginger, and some other vague spices. The soap is kind of like dish soap; it reminds me of blowing bubbles as a kid. It's just soapy spice so far. I will definitely give it another try and update my review if I get anything different.

Caveat: I have uber wonky skin chemistry, so what is funky on me will probably be fine on someone else.

Bub is smelling pretty awesome on me. It started off smelling just like Silver Haired Bat (sweet muskiness), but quickly changed. It's now like a soft milk blossom with a fuzzy spiciness. its not cinnamon.. 'cause this is not that harsh, but a very very soft fuzzy spice is in here. Maybe a white cinnamon? As its drying, a hay and/or chamomile note is coming out. I'm definitely keeping this bottle. It's soft, but strong... if that makes sense, and not soapy on me at all (thank god 'cause i'm a dirty boy, and dont like the smell of 'clean' or 'soap' ). Although, with the light florals, I can see how some like WAP could get soap. On me it doesnt turn though.

Actually.. once its been on for about an hour, it smells exactly like fresh german chamomile. Like if you were to pick one and smash the spongy yellow mound between your fingers (a favorite past-time of mine as a kid).

Mmm, I really like this!

When wet, this smells like loud citrus cologne and I almost didn't put it on. I'm glad I did because it's lovely! Not a fresh-cut grass scent, more of a fragrant sunlit meadow (and I didn't realize there was a difference until now!) it is fresh and clean without being soapy. Bright but also mellow.

Orange! On wet, its got a strong orange note that dissipates to a soft milky blossom and spicy ginger blend. This is fun, energetic, and sporty.

If you liked the Fraggle Rock Red blend, you might want to give Bub a whirl.

I'd agree with an above person: this is not a grassy field scent, rather a sunny citrus-like bright scent, mixed with a fuzzy sort of hay note? Not really what I was expecting -- I honestly can't place this scent!

I want sunshine and meadows and fresh air and green grass ... but what I get is table scraps.

I tried it last week and thought maybe my nose was broken, but today it's the same, both wet and dry I get spicy pie crust. I'm sure Bub enjoys the pie, but it's not quite what I was hoping for.

Like Really Zeb I'm getting all table scraps and not the slightest hint of grassiness. Sad, because I was really hoping for a grassy one.

This is such a bright and happy scent! I get a tiny bit of grass, but I agree it's a "sunny" bright scent and not "green" per se. If Bub had table scraps I'm thinking they were of the pastry variety? I get pie...I have no idea what kind :huh: It's just one of those scents where I keep sniffing and just can not pin down what I'm smelling!

So glad I got to try this. Really unique!

Clean and soapy at first, like doing laundry outside in the sun. Then it turns into a soapy snake oil-like scent. Not complaining, it's rather nice. I did wash off some Lilith Victoria before I tried this, it smells remarkably like it. No, rather like orange and Snake Oil, Hunger, or Ravenous. This one is rather confusing. I like it, but would like to try it on again with totally clean skin, though I don't think LV really was there, it kiiiind of reminds me of it, though.

eta: Ha, I think there is some Siberian Musk in here, gotta love them single notes. So yeah, soapy Siberian Musk. I may get some more of this, it's kind of sultry.

Edited by milo

In bottle: Citrus bright and definitely sunny in feel. Wet: Still strongly orange, but more complex and grassy with amber and a touch of spice. I generally amp citrus, so that’s happening here. Dry: The citrus backs down and it ends up sweet creamy Amber mostly. This is utterly lovely on the dry down and would be brilliant on someone younger than me with less awkward skin chemistry.

Sniff: I'm getting orange zest from this, very clean and refreshing

Wet: Orange and amber and something a tad musky underneath. It's bright and has moments of tartness.

Dry: Dries to a light citrus musk. It does remind me of sunshine. It's not for me, but anyone who wants something light and warm should try it!

On me it only really gets into its stride after a couple of hours. Before then it is a bit foody in a half-hearted way. I guess this is the pie-crust that ReallyZeb means! I love foodie things but it would need more richness to appeal on that front. But after that it morphs into a lovely, twisty-turny soft thing - like the smell equivalent of a wonderful soft throw that you curl up in. And it floats all round me. It keeps morphing just subtly so that I notice it repeatedly - genius! Comforting, homey, for when I don't want to try to impress, I just want to potter quietly on my own. Calming and reassuring. Like something I fondly remember from my past - only it isn't. I'm so glad I got to try a decant of this and I'll be getting a bottle.

I must say though, for all I love it, I just can't see the meadows in it. I'd suggest you try it if you like very gentle foodie things and possibly also amber. Also if you are one of those, like me, who actually likes the "powder" smell.

PS I just went down to kiss our dog good-night and suddenly realised that the pie-smell is very like the smell of a dog's ears.

Edited by Quillifer

Bub and Norman are the only two ParaNorman scents that are kinda wearable for me, but both are also really light on my skin. Bub reminds me of citrus scented dish soap (kinda smells lemony on me more than orange), warm and powdery amber and a light spiciness. I think it's reminding me of The Lion with more of a soapy citrus & clean, bright feel, though I haven't smelled The Lion in a long time. I'm not really getting any grass or greenery. Not bad, but probably not a keeper for me either.

I could try and describe the notes I smell, but others have already done so. I wish only to add my own super strong scent association that took me by surprise when I first tried Bub-- This is the way my sphynx cat's skin smells right after a bath with the cat shampoo I use for her. Isn't it amazing, and strange, how our brains do this? Once I sniffed it and that wonderful familiarity occurred, I had to have the blend. Wearing this is like carrying her with me all day-- rubbing my nose against her skin when we snuggle. It is a comforting, warm, musky, clean-animal scent, and it has a fairly decent throw for me while still feeling intimate. Bub was the big ParaNorman winner for me and is everything I had hoped Papow would be :wub2:

Edited by MCS4096

Wet: Wow, this is interesting. Cinnamon rolls? Something fizzy? Not getting any of the outdoors, this is all table scraps on me, but they're yummy table scraps. It does have a "clean" feel, somehow. Hard to describe, but I am liking it way more than I expected to!

Dry: This gets a little soapy - I think a grass note that I don't really smell as grass, but does that sort of "clean green" thing. Still a bit spicy, bit fizzy. It's different, and I do enjoy it, but I can't imagine wearing it. I may use it as a room scent though (now that I have one of those cool mist thingies!)

Orange spice soap, then the grass note grows as it dries. Bub smells like freshly washed clothes, dried on the line and all warm from the sun.

Bub is surprisingly foodie on me. It's snuggly and spicy, not soapy at all, and I'm not getting a lot of meadow smell either. Once it has completely dried down, the scent it reminds me most of, weirdly, is Ooky, after the almond has evaporated. I've always had very food-motivated dogs in my life, so maybe if your dogs have been indifferent to food and just want to chase a ball in a field all day it might smell different on you? Anyway, I love Ooky so it's very nice, just not what I was expecting.

I wish my dogs smelled like this! Bub is sweet, spicy, grass.  It smells like the bright, sunny love I have for my dog.  Bub must've been a very good boy.  

ETA: My nose has learned more notes.  This is in the same family as No One is Above the Law on Me. It has the same sunny notes without any floral.  I would say there's amber, bergamot, grass, a little spice, and something a little bubbly I can't ID.  It might be a furry musk.  Still is beautiful and makes me a little weepy. 

Edited by biggnerd

Fuzzy brown musk, sunny bergamot, and a whiff of grass is what I get from Bub. I think there may be some spiced amber at play, too? It's a happy, cozy scent that becomes more fuzzy and musky over time. I think it's nice, but I prefer the wet phase when the bergamot and grass are more noticeable, before the musky amber almost completely takes over.

This doesn't smell like the "grass" note I'm used to from the lab.  It's less lush, sappy, and green, and more cool aquatic musk.  Not salty pirate aquatic, more freshwater with a tiny hint of soap.  It's bright and playful, and there's something chilly in the fragrance that I almost recognize.  It's kinda driving me crazy.  Something a bit like mint, but not.

Then.... Bub turns into bubble gum.  Fruity, cheery, pink bubble gum with a hint of sweet and sugary lemon drop.  Almost like Jailbait if it was actually kid friendly.  This is definitely not what I expected.  A few minutes later, the scent starts to warm up and I get some light, fuzzy musk.  No table scraps unless they consist of bubble gum.  It's a very happy scent, though I'm not sure I would have ever guessed at the notes.  Beaming memories is a good comparison though.  I think more of childhood but if there's a dog involved, he would be chasing around a water hose, surrounded by kids, on a bright summer day. 

I don't think I'd wear Bub much, but it's nice to have smelled it and smiled.  I think this would be a great choice for a child, or just someone in need of some bottled happiness.  :smile: 

Edited by VetchVesper