Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Salma

Crisp linen, a smudge of ballpoint pen ink, soap-touched skin, apple shampoo, and effervescent science fair experiment residue.

Considering the fact that I always do science experiments, I'm excited to review this one.

This scent is very...generic though. It smells like a few different shampoos that we all know, combined. It seems that the ballpoint pen ink (i love writing things!) and the science fair experiment kind of tame this bright apple/fruity shampoo aspect. The linen and soap do the same, in much the way that you would expect, but unfortunately they both add to the "generic" aspect of this. There is a touch of "perfumey" edge, but for the most part it is a nice, clean soapy apple. Wear this if you need someone to absolutely know that you use great hair products and just took a shower =D

After it dries down a bit the tame/linen...somewhat dry/husky background do come out a bit.

This smells a lot like a mixture of Boober's clean laundry and a bit of single-note Apple Blossom. It's soapy and clean, and I don't get much of anything else, like ink. Surprisingly good throw for something so clean, but it didn't last all that long. It's a little generic, as Absinthetics says, and I don't think I need to own it.

All of the notes in Salma combine so that it smells like soapy bubblegum on me. I don't get apple, or ink, and while the other scents are distinctly clean they somehow turn candy-ish.

Man, I am totally striking out on this collection. :cry2:

Apple shampoo (hello Apple Blossom SN!), linen, and a glob of ink (not the deep rich inkyness of India Ink SN, but like a little cousin of that). Salma smells like a nice nerdy girl. You know the type: clean, punctual, intellectual.

I actually think this would appropriate for a little girl, something that smells clean and slightly floral without being completely generic. Especially if you want her to ask for science kits as opposed to another doll.

Alas, I'm not getting any ink or science out of this, just fresh Herbal Essence-like clean shampoo, with a hint of fruit. It's a nice addition to the clean family, like Dirty, though it reminds me most of Wensleydale. Basically it's Wensleydale's shampooed sister. Nice! Just not quiiiite what I was expecting.

Edited by AnArtfuldodger

So interesting! This does not smell at all like I imagines. I get very clean shampoo smell - and somehow it feels like it's mid-lather. I don't get apple or ink or science fair. It's pleasant though, as if I'm literally in the middle of showering.

This the nicest of the bunch of decants I just received. It smells like apple shampoo from wet to dry down. I like this. And I think I will keep my decant. :D

My god, this smells like seventh grade me, circa 1996 - 1997: a crisp Oxford shirt fresh out of the dryer, pressed uniform skirt, green apple lotion, and pen ink smeared all down the side of my hand (lefties, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout!). Salma is the cleanest BPAL I've encountered to date, and it's really perfect if you want something unobtrusive that stays close to the skin. It dries a little sweeter than it applies, which I attribute to the linen note. I like it - it keeps the shampoo note from going, well... soapy! :P An unexpected winner!

This smelled just like jasmine tea to me in the bottle, and was almost the same on my skin, just with a smudge of slightly tart apple. Yummy, but not foodie, and very soothing.

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: Not many of the Paranormans grabbed me, but this one made me stop and pause because one of my son's best friends is a little girl with a very geeky, scientific mind. Who knows, if it doesn't work for me I might pass it on to her and create a new young BPALer.

In the Vial: High, white & light green, crisp. I'm definitely getting the clean linen with an apple undertone and maybe a taste of ink.

Wet: It takes a minute, but then the apple comes out, much sweeter than I expected given the shampoo description. And because I amp musk, I'm also getting the impression of skin. Very clean, sudsy skin, but it's there. But the musk is counterbalancing the soapiness rather nicely. And if I close my eyes and breathe deeply, I can imagine the green-ness as some nice goopy science plasma in a jar...like the barest hint of ozone. As I'm sniffing, the apple fades a bit and the linen comes back.

Verdict: It's nicer than I expected, given other reviews of really strong apple, but I'm not sure that I'd wear it. Think I'll poke around my bag of imps to re-home and see what else might be appropriate for a young girl...

Salma just smells like soapy apple blossom to me. I like the smell of ink, but don't get any from this scent.

Lots of soap, slightly perfumey floral and sweet apple.

Gives me a headache, but I guess it'd be nice for someone who can wear soap/clean scents.

Clean and fresh, I'm kind of getting a bit of linden vibe at first, but it quickly fades. Dries to a soapy, laundry sheet kind of scent. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not something I'd wear. I'll probably add this one to unscented spray cleaner, this will make the house smell freshly cleaned, (even if it isn't!!)

....I admit I was hoping like someone said, that this would be almost pure apple. Unfortunately, my skin loves whatever note is the "science experiments" which amped and resulted in my arm smelling like salad.

In the imp: Inky apples

Wet: Straight up apple shampoo.

Dry: Hmm, the apple seems to have gone south... there's a strange musky edge that wasn't there before and it's blanketing everything else out. Such a shame!

Soapy apple shampoo, linen, and a faint hint of the ink. It kind of pairs well with Norman, I think it's because of the cotton note in that and the linen note in this. The apple scent itself doesn't last very long, but it's still a very soapy clean scent. I really like it, but I was hoping for the ink note so I'm a little disappointed I'm not getting much of it.