Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mellifluous

Norman

Hoodie cotton and milk-splashed denim with a hint of pine needles and ectoplasm.

I swear Norman smells a bit like marijuana. Not as much as Hippie ghost, but something about the combo of cotton, milk, and pine reads as hemp to my nose. That said, it smells a bit like baby lotion too. Lol, so pretty much I'm getting a freshly bathed (and lotioned) baby.. smoking a blunt. :eek:
As its drying, the scent is heading more to the baby lotion side, and is not nearly as hemp-y. It actually is a nice scent.. and I think I like it.. but, its kindof disturbing as well. If I can get over my weird associations with the scents, I could see really liking this scent. Overall, its a bit cotton-y, a bit creamy, and slightly a bit herbal.

I think Mellifluous is onto something...

I also get an underlying note similar to Whitechapel. That must be the "ectoplasm," and for my skin that is what hangs around the longest. Norman is nice, but not really distinctive.

I was super curious about this 'ectoplasm' note and my mind had already created how it would smell like. It turns out I was very close! :lol: As soon as I apply, I'm hit with the ectoplasm, the closest way to describe it would be like a well-blended mix of a very bright (almost effervescent) green lime-ish and juniper scent, with a softer but slightly sharpish and chemical pine. For a few minutes I get a citrus detergent or cleaner vibe on my skin but it's thankfully fleeting.

Once it settles, the others notes start to emerge and I get this slightly creamy fresh linen scent along with ectoplasm (sadly linen notes tend to get a little soapy on me sometimes). I do get a baby lotion-like scent Mellifluous mentioned. So now Norman smells like he has changed into freshly laundered clothes but he still has some spots of ectoplasm that didn't wash off. At this stage, I start the juniper-like note jumps out a little more.

As a perfume this goes through a few stages until it settles into a clean and fresh scent with just a little bit of unusual, so if you like those type of scents you should give try this!

Baby lotion, hints of milk, cotton/linen, and juniper. It's clean, and fresh, and just... well odd really is the best way to describe it. It smells like it should be comforting and familiar (baby lotion, hint of milk, cotton/linen), but then with the juniper its like you realize you don't actually have a real baby... its more like a ghost baby. Simply, not normal.

Like the boy equivalent of Alice. Alice to me was always a 'curious' scent. Norman is also a 'curious' scent, but with more 'ghostly' connotations, which makes sense since the concept of the characters is different.

Cotton, creamy, curious.

I really like this one! Norman has a really solid base that's warm and hempy but then there's a layer of cotton-y creaminess over the top that makes the overall feel of this blend quite rich and yummy.

At frst I found it to be quite zingy - almost a lime kind of smell (ectoplasm, is that you?) but that was fleeting. I don't usually like anything with 'pine' (or juniper or other similar things that smell like disinfectant on me) but here it really is just a hint of the pine and it's nice.. warm and snuggly rather than sharp and medicinal. I do agree that it's kinda odd though - it's a strange mix of milky clean and hempy dirty. To me, Norman perfectly captures the scent of a boy who has a naughty nerdy streak but is still a good clean milk-drinking boy. A boy who smells perhaps just a little bit more like bong water than he really should, but a good boy nonetheless :D

This scent fits so well for Norman, but not so well for me unfortunately. The pine needle dominates this scent on my skin, and I feel a bit too much like an air freshener, although there is a bit of the milk note, too. I really do wish I could smell what the ectoplasm was supposed to be!

Piiine, sweet pine with some of that ganja ectoplasm that I also get in Hippie Ghost. This is a morpher on my skin. After applying the pine tones down very quickly revealing a creamy almost lemony scent which must be the milk-splashed denim.

The pine is back when it's drying down but as a natural woodsy scent, it goes well with the marijuana ectoplasm. There is a brightness to this scent that is also in Bub, like a ray of sunlight. It's soft and cottony.

It's a bit of a weird scent but I like the softness of this combined with the ectoplasm note. The cotton/lemon/cream combo reminds me of Tarot: The Star.

At first, I'm getting lots of pine, something bright and green smelling, (must be the ectoplasm), and a touch of milk. Dry, quite different, no pine, a powdery cotton quite orris like, and a touch of milk. I like both stages, though the first one is a bit odd. The second stage is powdery and comforting on me. Kind of nice, but I don't think I need any more..BTW, I'm not getting anything remotely bong or marijuana like here!

Edited by milo

In bottle: Pine dominant, but with a strong milk component. The fabrics work well with the milk particularly, but also surprisingly well with the pine. I don’t know what is standing in for ectoplasm, but it has a radioactive day glow green sort of smell, if that makes sense. It supports the pine the way the fabric supports the milk. It does smell rather like little kid only nicer. Wet: Ectoplasm is now being supported by pine and I’m calling it dominant, with the milk/fabric combo more backgr4ound. I’m not sure I like the way the ectoplasm is playing with the milk. The effect is rather curdled on me. Dry: Much better. It’s fast fading. The ectoplasm stays dominant, but calms down to the point of interesting. It’s not my thing, but might be someone else’s.

Norman is a strange, faint scent. It only lasts about 20 minutes total on me, even if I slather. It starts off smelling like PineSol, then settles into something that reminds me of Destroying Angel (cool, dry earth with mushroom), and finally fades into a faint, dusty scent with a hint of sour milk and soap. Interesting, but I don't know that I'd wear this one, and it has no staying power on my skin anyhow.

I wore this again today and it reminds me of the herbal, weedy pot note that is in Smell Bent's Hungry Hippies scent. It's that same green, earthy pot smell mixed with soapy-clean PineSol and cool dirt.

Edited by Little Bird

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. On me...clean crisp linen note with a hint of jeans and cream. Clean cream. I love it...and it is one of my favorite transition from summer to fall scents. :D

Source: Decant circle from 2012

Preconception: Just curious. I'm assuming it wont work on me, but trying everything out.

Imp: Cotton, pine, herbal

Skin: That... is pot. Pine pot. LOL makes Norman seeing ghosts make a whole lot more sense, eh? Wet pine pot on top of fabric.

Drydown: Pot note eases up and moves into a more pine-citrus direction. On top of "Clothing" perfume. A kind of musky fabric. Cream keeps everything pooled together but I don't find it prominent at all. I swear there's something cedar in here too, woody.

Verdict: Hits the namesake again. Clothing, pine, and citrusy potty ectoplasm.

Lots of pine needles and cotton. Not sure what the ectoplasm note is, but I like it. It's kind of clean in a way, but not like soap. I think it's just the cotton note that's giving me that vibe.

Fades pretty fast on me which I'm not a fan of, but the scent itself is really nice and comforting. I wish I got some of the milk.