Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthrope

Blue Moon 2012

The spirit of the full moon is capricious, intense and passionate, yet still distant, aloof and cold. Luna herself governs glamours, bewitchments and dream-work, innocent wonder, transient pleasure and delight, the Moment, impulse, mystery and veils. The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature:

Mugwort, for psychic sensitivity...

Calea Zacatechichi, yarrow, and mastic for divination through dreams...

Frankincense and hyssop for complexity, wisdom and noscere...

... with a potent lunar-charged, oneirongenic blend of blue musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, evening stock, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, rose milkweed, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit.

I have been looking for the elusive cucumber-tinged, original Blue Moon but haven't found it quite yet.

That said this is very pretty. Starts of with a heavy cologne bite that scared me a touch, likely it was the blue musk and tea, clary sage, doing a little oddness. There are so many components and initially the blend is a touch sharp around the edges but then becomes a very indescribable, soft, hazy scent. I don't know, but Blue Moon hasn't ever been 'blue' in color to me in terms of scent association.

Not terribly lemony. Misty. Reedy? And like... glowy. Beautiful, and I wish I'd ordered another one. But not moistly cucumber, which I was kind of hoping for.

By whatever accident of fate, Blue Moon 2012 smells almost exactly like the original Blue Moon [2004] did on me. I loved the cucumber note on the original, but it only really came out in the bottle for me; as soon as I put it on, the soft, warm, complex pale nighttime florals would bloom and stay for hours. I'm thirty minutes in and it hasn't faded. I hope it has the same staying power! In the meantime, the real question is whether I can afford a second bottle to stash away...

I am never, ever losing track of this beautiful thing again if I can help it.

Edited by ajodasso

at first application, the most prominent note in blue moon is a very herbal lavender. as it sits on my skin, the OMGLAVENDER settles down into a soft cloud of elegant blue musk and light, kind of watery florals. it's very elegant but i wish my nose was better-trained to pick out more of the individual notes. i can't find any cucumber or green tea.

overall it's a bit too perfumey and floral for me.

at first application, the most prominent note in blue moon is a very herbal lavender. as it sits on my skin, the OMGLAVENDER settles down into a soft cloud of elegant blue musk and light, kind of watery florals. it's very elegant but i wish my nose was better-trained to pick out more of the individual notes. i can't find any cucumber or green tea.

overall it's a bit too perfumey and floral for me.

I had this same darn experience. Maybe we are scent cousins porcelina. :eek: At first, while wet I had this gorgeous OMG lavender that I adore. But instead of the watery florals I got strong industrial cleaner. As it dried it turns into this gorgeous aloe lotion smell and then disappears. It's sad. But I think I will keep this to see if it morphs into something better with a few months of aging.

I haven't liked any of the Blue Moons so far. They all smell like sharp, perfumey, soapy floral on me, even the 04 version. This one starts out with herbal, kinda bitter lavender and then dries down to perfumey floral soap. It just smells sharp and cheap to me.

In bottle: sharply medicinal, aquatic, and a stronger lavender note than Blauer Mond. Actually, right now, it's almost all lavender for me, I can't get past it.

Wet on skin: lavender and...a multitude of other notes that are hard to pinpoint. It's thankfully a softer lavender than the bottle scent, and the aquatic feel is gone, leaving behind a clean, almost laundry-fresh lavender scent. Quite pretty. I think I will have good sleepytimes tonight.

Dry: soft, soapy lavender, and something powdery: I'm not sure what that is. Also, the iris is doing its grandmothery bit for me, which is a shame; still, it's a very clean and soothing scent, with soft lavender almost calling you to sleep and sweet dreams, which is quite apt for this lunacy blend.

Verdict: maybe I should keep this for sleep? It really is quite soothing, if I don't get too close that I smell the grandmothery iris note. It's not something I would wear out as perfume though.

... with a potent lunar-charged, oneirongenic blend of blue musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, evening stock, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, rose milkweed, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit.

I wanted to love this scent, I did, it just wasn't to be.

Bottle: Astringent and wet and a lot like moonlight. Interesting.

Wet: Lots of green and white florals, some resinous scent and astringent herbal wreath.

Drydown: Oh no, very cutting and green. I wanted some moonflower.

Dry: Umm... masculine, slightly. It's just not doing anything for me. It's slightly clean and sanitary and I can pick out some ylang ylang and lavender, all the sharp herbal scents.

I do think this could be lovely on the right person, but it's too herbal for me to enjoy the way I want to. Definitely evocative of a cool, moonlit night.

Blue Moon starts out with alot of lavender, it's also a bit sharp. It does soften over time and changes into a cool, almost misty floral. It smells quite cool and fresh and strikes me as a summery scent. I will probably wear this alot in hot weather. A little of this goes a long way, it's a strong scent and lasts for ages.

This sounded very promising and it is a beautiful scent. Someone else said it was soothing, and that is very much what I get from it, too. It's clear, and light, airy and gentle. Lovely, just not me. :(

Clear, clean and crystalline, slightly powdery and a bit dusty, and there's a bit of a sour quality. It's kind of nice, but reminds me a bit of baby powder.

ITB: It has a fresh soap smell while still being floral from the iris.

Wet: Green tea, lemon balm, something that strikes me as olive oil, a touch of lavender, and sage. It's soothing and makes me want to take a nap.

Dry: Lightly floral with faint lemon balm, green tea, ylang ylang, and lavender.

Quite a shower cream scent....flowery, I expected more although I've sniffed also a vintage Blue Moon which is more parfumey and ethereal..not bad, a clean scent, to wear with the right blue moon...