Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rapture

Sensual ecstasy, the blinding red fire of the apex of sexual pleasure: Moroccan rose, Sumatran rose, mandarin, Egyptian myrrh, night-blooming jasmine, bergamot and neroli thrust into Arabian musk.

All rose all the time. That's what this is on me. Rapture goes back and forth between a stale rose scent and a sharp rose scent--either one is not good. I can smell at times the Arabian Musk trying to poke its head through but the rose has it so thoroughly muffled that it's barely a blip here and there.

I'm glad the lab included a frimp of this in with my latest order because I wanted to try it--sad that, yet again, the rose in this scent does not work on me, overpowering all the other lovely elements in Rapture. I think I'll continue my dedicated relationship with carnation--no, rose, I will not have an affair with you for you are just not doing it for me.

also, within half an hour of putting this on it practically disappeared leaving just a slight sharp rose wake in its exit--though the peeping Arabian musk does pop up a bit more in the sharpness to create a little bit of spice, finally, in this almost gone stage.

yep, rose and I are just not made for each other. sorry, rose. :P

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

I... what? Baby powder? HUH?

Unfortunately, I couldn't even tell you what it was BEFORE it was baby powder, since I've only tried a couple of these notes in other blends. Suffice it to say that it was "kinda nice, i guess" and then it went strange. Wah.

In the bottle this appears to me as a strong and somewhat complex jasmine, with a background of rose lurking close behind...

Wet, this just turns in to super-jasmine.... very, very strong jasmine. It smells good, but I am not the biggest fan of strong jasmine...

When this dries however, this takes on a more balanced rose and jasmine scent with something else that seems to reming me of lilacs. I like this one, but this is a once-in-a-while perfume blend for me. I do love to use this to scent my bedroom though- it is very romantic and somewhat dramatic scent.

In the imp - Sweet and floral

Wet - A very prominent 'in your face' note, probably the jasmine.

Drydown - I can detect hints of the rose and a certain greeness but it's still jasmine all the way.

This has turned to soap, and not even the expensive kind :P

I'm coming to the conclusion that jasmine and I don't get along, but if it loves you this will be a winner!

straight sniff from imp is a musky jasmine...

once applied the roses and myrrh combine with the musky jasmine and

turn into something too reminiscent of dear old gramma :P

As soon as I sniffed this one from the vial I tossed it back. Too white, too floral for me. But, for some reason, maybe because it's a full moon, I felt compelled to wear this today. I took a chance dabbing this on behind my ears and on my wrists as I was leaving for work. That's it, no turning back. I defintely was going to smell like Rapture for a good few hours. I LOVE this. Oh wow, it's very feminine, very sexy, very mysterious, like the full moon herself. I can totally see this as being a favorite of Venus or Aphrodite. The longer I have it on, the more I'm loving it. It's softening to a sweet jasmine. Powdery yes, but no innocent baby powder smell here - no, no, this is finely milled French powder that comes in a beautiful package with a soft puff. Sensual. I don't get much rose, but the musk and the jasmine work very well with my chemistry. I'm definitely getting a 5ML on my next order. Beth, beautifully done. I'm totally enthralled! :D :P

In my brief time as a BPAL aficionado, jasmine and I have had constant tearful powder-scented encounters. Roses haven't been much more agreeable. Rapture has helped all their cases immensely, though.

In the bottle, mostly rose and jasmine. On skin it warms and spreads like silk, allowing the musk and neroli to stretch and luxuriate. I can almost sense the jasmine straining to go powdery, but something is keeping it in check; I suspect it may be the bergamot, since the only other scent featuring jasmine that didn't go powdery on me (The Caterpillar) also contained bergamot.

A lovely afterglow of a scent, overall. Not quite compelled to buy a whole bottle, but I'll keep the Imp as one of the few and far between floral blends I enjoy.

I was really hoping for a sexual, sexy scent. In the bottle and wet on my skin, I thought "I can do this"....and then the inevitable happened. On the dry down this settled into that god awful soapy smell.

It doesnt send me running to the bathroom to wash it off, but its not for me. Ah well...off to the swaps with you!

Rose and.. metal? This is probably the most ambiguous review I'll ever write but something in this absolutely REPELS me. :P It's metallic, dirty diaper, and an after glow of sex all mixed into one oil.

Definitely not for me. This is one of the few BPAL scents I've had to wash off immediately!

Bottle--Rose and jasmine. Pretty.

Wet--Hm, Rose still, and the jasmine, but some of the musk is showing itself as well I think, because there's a dark something there. This has potential.

Drydown--Rose-scented soap. Meh.

Rose and :P Jasmine. I was foolish to put this on before checking the notes.

Mercifully the Jasmine backs off a bit when this dries down, and there's a touch of the musk underneath. On a jasmine lover, no doubt this would be a beautiful blend.

But I'm no jasmine fan, and it's even managed to kill off the rose which normally amps on me.

Not for me at all.

Even though I know very well, by now, that I don't like jasmine in BPAL, I have this obsessive thing where I have to test every oil that comes my way. And I keep buying imp packs that turn out to have imps with jasmine in them. I'll say one thing for the jasmine scents...they're easy to review.

I like the sweet undertones of this scent - frankincense and musk, and I think I detect something citrusy, maybe neroli - but I can only smell that part for a few minutes before the jasmine overpowers everything else. I only applied the tiniest dab of this, but it lasted quite a long time, becoming very soapy-jasminey towards the end. Sigh, jasmine, I love your flowers so much, why must you be my enemy in perfume?

Rapture

In the bottle and upon first application, an overwhelming floral to the point where it's almost headache inducing. I try to keep my wrists a fair distance from my head as I wait for it to settle down.

After some wear, it's a warm, yet still heavy, floral. It has a mature feminine feel to it. Very aromatic and perfumey. I can't detect the mandarin, but I suspect the myrrh and musk are what's warming it up.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

2 : This feels too mature on me, like something that would appeal to my mother or grandmother. I'm starting to see that I'm not a big fan of florals, which is disappointing. I love the smell of fresh flowers, but floral perfume just comes off as sickly and old-fashioned. I'm sure I'll eventually find a floral note that is love, but I think it's going to require some patience.

In the imp: jasmine, honeysuckle.

Wet on me: Rose, soft jasmine and soft neroli. Everything that's usually sharp seems a bit muted by the musk.

After a few minutes: The jasmine is a little soapy. I can smell some citrussy bergamot in here. The soap seems to be amping....

Drydown: Shoot. It's turned into almost pure soap on me.

In the imp: Ooh, this is an unusual scent. Flowery-spicy, with something very bitter in the background. A hint of wood, perhaps; but all the scents are huddling in a big group, and none of them want to come out to play individually.

On the wrist: The jasmine is no longer feeling bashful. Neither is the neroli or bergamot, and they're definitely tempering the jasmine's exuberance with their usual dryness. Allegedly there is myrrh in here, but it's hanging back behind the others and hoping I don't spot it. After a while the rose saunters in from nowhere to take over the show, with just a hint of mandarin behind it, and at about the same point everything starts to turn a little soapy.

Y'know, I've had friends like BPAL's rose. Pretty, popular people who hung out with me for a while because they were bored and I amused them, then when I least expected it they tired of me, turned on me, and went back to their old group of friends to bitch about me. And yet no matter how often this happened I kept accepting their overtures, because I so desperately wanted to be accepted by the cool kids.

Why no, I'm not at all bitter about the way rose behaves on my skin. Why do you ask?

One hour later: It's all gone a bit generic florals, though with strong contributions from the orangey contingent and the musk. Bah.

This is a lovely spicy rose scent. It’s a bit waxy. Oftentimes rose and I don’t agree. I’m happy to say this scent is an exception. The musk is gorgeous in this scent and really compliment and grounds the rose. I’m getting myrrh too – I think that’s the touch of spice that I’m getting.

After it’s been on a while, the myrrh gets quite strong. It combines with the rose and jasmine and I’m not sure that I like where this is going. It was fantastic when it was wet, but now I’m not so sure. I love Aveda scents, and this does remind me a bit of one of those. I’m finding myself liking and not liking this scent. There are others that are more compelling to me and that I don’t have a love it-hate it relationship with.

Sweet, white florals, gardenia/plumeria both in the imp and on my skin, all the way through. No crazy morphing this time, thank you!!

Yumm. A bit sweet for an all-the-time kind of scent, but lovely for those days when you need a thought of sunny skies. It's very feminine and floral, though, so be forewarned if that's not your thing--but try it out! You could be surprised by how much you end up loving it...

RAPTURE

Oh, rapturous indeed! This just screams red passion and sexual afterglow. I can pick up a medley of florals but especially the jasmine. The myrrh adds a sexy, musky sort of effect. I need to keep this one on hand!

In the imp: Yum, a subtle blend of citruses... I can pick out neroli, bergamot (only just) and madarin, with something soft, possibly the jasmine, rounding it all out.

On the skin: Unfortunately this is another case where jasmine ruins a blend on me. It turns slighly powdery and the florals amp on me something furious.

Verdict: I would only ever use this one in a scent locket. I wish it did work on me, because I loved the initial sniff!

In the Imp (wet): Musky and the jasmine is divine. The myrrh isn't as warm as other incense scents I've tried, but not unpleasant either.

On facial cotton (dry): I sniff this and dream of the warm sands of a desert under a star filled sky. Rather romantic a scent.

On me: I sort of like how this one is turning out. No one note is predominant, but it is a little soapy. Not something I'd wear on a daily basis, but nice nevertheless.

Rapture is a gorgeous strong jasmine with a hint of musk and a touch of rose on my skin. It is heady and gorgeous in a classic perfume kind of way. For me this is a "dress up" scent. One which makes me feel mature and beautiful. I imagine the sillage from this scent staying behind in my wake though I don't think it's actually that strong. It did not go powdery on me at all which is unusual with jasmine scents and I didn't get that soap scent either. Definitely a keeper for me.

Yikes. This definetely did not pass the Husband Test. One whiff and he begged me to go wash it off. A little too strong for my tastes too. Perhaps very very lightly applied, or in a lotion or something, but straight from the bottle-no way. Except for Siren and Snake Oil, these Love Potions are really not doing their thing for me.

All right. If this had blend had every single one of those notes except jasmine, I would probably like it. Even with the jasmine, I sort of like it. It has what I think of as a traditional perfume scent -- not the kind you wear during the day but the kind you wear in the evening.

But it's that damn jasmine! It's practically pointing and laughing at me and may as well be jeering. Stupid jasmine. I WILL GET YOU ONE DAY, JASMINE. THIS IS NOT OVER. *runs off in a dramatic snit and then sits in a corner and pouts*

Initial impressions/prejudices: The "sexual" blends are often too strong on me, or don't play along with my skin chemistry, or feel like I'm wearing someone else's perfume (or maybe I just think the first two things because of the third?). This one has a bunch of roses in it, though, which makes me hopeful.

In the imp, this is mostly jasmine - but the nice kind of jasmine that plays well on my skin - with an undercurrent of musk.

Wet, on my skin, this is jasminey and orangey. Hmm, with mandarin, bergamot and neroli, I'm actually quite surprised this isn't more citrusy.

As it dries, I get the musk comes out a bit more with the jasmine and the citrus notes. Where is the rose, I ask you? Where?

This is very sexy, but in an understated, classy sort of way. I agree with everyone that's said this is an "evening" perfume, a "dress-up" perfume. It reminds me a lot of Feu Follet, which was (again) mostly jasmine on me; that was another classy, little-black-dress-and-heels, red lipstick, evening perfume. I don't know if this is really "me," but if I were going to wear one of the sexual blends, this would probably be it.

Maybe if I layered it with Spellbound...?