Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Rapture

Sensual ecstasy, the blinding red fire of the apex of sexual pleasure: Moroccan rose, Sumatran rose, mandarin, Egyptian myrrh, night-blooming jasmine, bergamot and neroli thrust into Arabian musk.

I wished so bad that this could work on me but... it's pure rose that fades FAST to soapy something. Shame. I should have learned by now that popular scents just are not meant for me and my skin. Sigh.

I didn't even know I had an imp of this until last night, when I tried it on, sniffed, and thought, "Eh." ...until a little later when I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists! Such a great scent when dry on me. I may very well need a 5mL of this. 8/10

This is the second scent I have tested from BPAL, the first being Snake Oil.

In the imp Rapture smells verrrry rosy. If you could simply bottle a rose garden...

When wet on the applicator, this scent smells a little stronger than when I first opened it.

Because of the strength of this oil I only put a small dab on top of my hand and as soon as it touched my skin it morphed. It changed from the bossy rose I was smelling into something very reminiscent of Rosebud Salve. Soft and almost powdery is this new rose.

10 minutes into wearing and after dried, I can faintly smell the jasmine starting to gain some confidence. It's really turning into something gorgeous now. It doesn't smell old and musky at all, but like I'd imagine a young maiden would have smelled in the Victorian era.

I really like this scent.

Vanilla and sugary or musky scents never smell good on me. They smell like a smoky old French whore house (not in a good way (; ). So, this is perfect for me.

In the Imp (ITI): Strong jasmine, thick musk, sensuous myrrh together make me want to swoon. It smells great!

Wet: While it stays close to the ITI scent, I can now detect the neroli on my skin.

Dry: After 13 hours, I can't smell anything. After reapplication and quick dry, it's strongly resinous with neroli, myrrh, and something that smells like a little patchouli. The jasmine gets a little soapy on my skin, but the rose keeps it from a bathroom-only scent.

In the imp: Sharp rose.

Wet: Rose and jasmine. There are hints of something warm and foody there, but it just barely wafts every now and then. This is very floral and edging towards soap-y

Dry: Rose soap.

This is nice, but I get none of the complexity that others did. Oh bother.

Rose, rose, jasmine, rose, rose, rose ...and just a bit more rose to round it out. Aaaand now it's going baby powder. I'm not getting any of the other notes. =( :(

Strong, heady, night-blooming jasmine at first. Not sour, but there was a brief moment when it smelled like fresh poop. Thankfully, that didn't last long, and the whole thing faded very quickly. I did enjoy the jasmine while it behaved.

Edited by milo

On application, this is a very sweet floral, with a lot of throw. After an hour or so of wear this softens to a whisper of fragrance.

I'm not actually smelling rose in this blend, but lily. Alas, is no lily listed in the scent description, so I am led to believe that what I'm smelling is the jasmine.

The jasmine isn't too bad once it is settled on my skin. Unfortunately, this has an "old lady" scent at first which I find ... not pleasant.

Oh well, the jasmine toward the end of the wear was quite lovely, though fleeting.

This smells like Easter to me, and reminds me a lot of Viola. This and Viola are one of the few really floral scents that I can stand long enough to wear. I wish I could pick out what flowers really stand out to me. I assumed it was the lily with Viola, but since this doesn't have lily, I'm guessing it's a very strong jasmine.

Out of the vial this is all jasmine to my nose. Unfortunately, it's not the type of jasmine I can wear but rather my arch nemesis...band-aids and diaper flowers.

On my skin this is ALL indole and maybe a bit of rose. I want to keep testing this but I need to wash it off. :/

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Strong rose. I can’t distinguish between the two kinds of roses listed in the notes, but it’s definitely rose. On second sniff, there’s just a hint of musk, or possibly bergamot.

Wet: Still strong rose. I hate to say this, but Rapture is very strong old-lady perfume on me.

Dry: The jasmine (a note I don’t love) and the neroli come forward, making the blend sour.

Interestingly, on the back of my hand, I get a sweetness I think must be the mandarin and musk, not rose or other floral at all, but the whole blend is very faint. On my arms, this remains strong and sour.

I didn’t really expect that a blend with so many strong florals would work well for me, though I always like to skin test everything.

In the imp: Pleasant florals.

Wet and dry: I'll just condense this by saying that I did not expect this to work on me when I read that it has mandarin in it. Orange and grapefruit makes me smell like dirty orange-scented Costco cleaning wipes, after I've cleaned the whole bathroom with them. Not even the rose, musk, and jasmine could save this from turning into cleaning wipes on me. I think I'll just go wash this off...

A frimp from the Lab...I'm expecting a deathmatch, honestly, because rose is great on me but jasmine is awful. To the thunderdome!

In the vial: light golden color; a light scent of jasmine

Wet on my skin: Much lighter than I would have thought! Reminds me of Beltane: a pretty spring bouquet, a white floral with a bit of citrus to keep it fresh

Drydown: It's not the "bad" jasmine; in fact, it reminds me of LUSH bath bombs--clean floral. It's odd that I'm not getting the rose more clearly, but I think it's just really well-blended. A nice GC option if you like Beltane, which I do.

Wet: Citrus, jasmine, soap. Uh oh.

Dry: Pure soap! Really lovely soap, actually, I would totally put this is my soap dish, but I don't want to wear it as perfume.

In the imp: all mandarin and bergamot.

Wet: Citrus and tiny bit of neroli and jasmine. Just a little headiness around the citrus.

Dry: Pretty much the same wet. I think I might detect a little rose, but I am afraid it might be my imagination. I really thought this was going to be a sexy, fun rose!

In the imp I get a heavy hit of mandarin and a little bit of jasmine.

Wet: This stinks. It honestly smells like poo. I've never gotten that from jasmine before. I'm not a fan of jasmine (and the other usual suspects), but they don't normally smell like eau de crap to me either. It's usually just a stifling floral note. This one goes straight filthy diaper.

Dry: I've had it on for three hours and it isn't getting any better. In fact, the warmer I get, the stronger the poo smell gets. Not good since it's already in the 80s today. The only other note that I can detect is the mandarin. So now I smell like someone has sprayed citrus air freshener in the bathroom. Not a pleasant combo.

Freshly applied, Rapture is bright mandarin, neroli, and bergamot on a backdrop of roses. The orange is strong in this one.

An hour later, I just smell faint neroli and bergamot.

Imp: rose and jasmine are fighting to the death under my nose
Wet on Me: now I get that 'cat-pee' note people mention about and rose.....
Drying Down: Why does rose loathe me so? it's like I'm a red-headed step child
Dry: yuppers....I keep trying with rose and it keeps hating on me :(

In the bottle: jasmine, neroli and myrrh

Wet and Dry: honestly, this smells like all the notes to/on me. My skin really amps the neroli and myrrh, but I can smell all the other things too. I get: neroli, myrrh, rose, jasmine and bergamot in that order. They all blend together and sit really well on my skin. It sort of reminds me of this one flavor in traditional Christmas ribbon candy that is sort of spicy and citrusy, and just a tad floral. I don't notice much of a difference dry.

Another blind buy, I figured I couldn't go wrong when I love all the notes listed and I wasn't wrong. I especially love that the blend stays with me and it's not just a single note amping on my skin.

I thought this might have ginger and jasmine in at first because the mandarin with the spiciness of the other notes created this spicy, bright scent, and the jasmine is more subtle since it is night-blooming. Very pretty, but definitely has that firey quality to it.

The progression of this one is odd on me, and after seeing that it has orange blossom in it, I think I get why. My skin tends to amp it to an absurd degree, sometimes to the point of it being sickening.

It starts out loud and bright with a huge amount of orange and white florals--mostly the orange blossom and a tiny touch of jasmine. The rose and jasmine (both of which my skin usually loves) are swallowed by an entire orange tree. It stays this way for several hours, and then dries down to an absolutely perfect dupe of black tea with lemon squeezed into it. I get no myrrh at all in this, and no rose, although as a tea-lover I almost wish I could bottle that drydown for everyday wear...

While I do actually like the way it smells on me, I'm pretty sure it's not how it was meant to be at all! I would love to smell this on someone else sometime, just to experience some of what others are describing.

In the imp: Rose, mandarin, myrrh, and musk are the notes that jump out at me.

Wet: The citrus notes are really strong at first, and the neroli is rather sharp. Then, the jasmine note joins in, and it is pretty strong as well, followed by the musk. After that, the rose emerges. The rose, jasmine, and myrrh end up dominating after a few minutes, with a bitter tinge of neroli.

Dry: The myrrh reigns, followed by the strong jasmine and rose, with the bitter citrus and musk in the background. I do smell some nice mandarin every once in a while, and I wish I were getting more of it.

Verdict: The combination of the myrrh, jasmine, and rose with the neroli is just not my jam. It's sharp and bitter on me.

This is complex and sensual at first. Very heavy.

Wet and right on the skin I don't get rose at all. I get more of the myrrh and musk. Truthfully, I was hoping for more of the rose and jasmine.

On the dry down the rose comes out but its still overwhelmed by the myrrh and musk.

Final thoughts - it's a little more rose after some wear, but not as much as I would have liked. However, I'm not bothered. I will have to sit with this while a little bit to see what I truly think.