Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MissMercurial

Help me choose a Blue Moon! (CHOSEN)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Blue Moons should I buy?

Hi folks! I love that there's a trio of blue moon scents this month, especially considering my circumstances. You see, I turn twenty-one on this month's blue moon (August 31st). Exciting in my book! So I was hoping some people who have experience with previous Blue Moon incarnations can help me choose one of the three. I've italicized the notes that sound most appealing to me.

For reference, I adore Urania ("moonflower, Moroccan jasmine, benzoin, white musk, iris, moss and a flash of ozone"), which is moon-like at least concept-/note-wise IMO, and have determined what draws me most to that scent are the Moroccan jasmine, white musk, and ozone (possibly moonflower as well). I've had so-so luck with iris/orris root, frankincense, and lavender (I consider the plants iris and lavender two of my favorites, more's the irony.). White and skin musks tend to work well on me.

BLAUER MOND - Brian's interpretation of the Blue Moon. A glimmer of hope emerging from a sea of dreams: sea buckthorn berry, terebinth pine, frankincense, hyssop, white sage, Neptune's night-blooming jasmine, cucumber, lavender, ambergris accord, and violet leaf.

BLUE MOON 2012 - The spirit of the full moon is capricious, intense and passionate, yet still distant, aloof and cold. Luna herself governs glamours, bewitchments and dream-work, innocent wonder, transient pleasure and delight, the Moment, impulse, mystery and veils. The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature:

Mugwort, for psychic sensitivity... Calea Zacatechichi, yarrow, and mastic for divination through dreams... Frankincense and hyssop for complexity, wisdom and noscere...

... with a potent lunar-charged, oneirongenic blend of blue musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, evening stock, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, rose milkweed, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit.

LUNA AZUL - Ted's interpretation of the Blue Moon. This is the scent of star-crossed love, folly, and passionate lunacy: white mango, French lavender, orris root, fig leaf, ylang ylang, mugwort, styrax, oakmoss, camphor, and black opium tar.

(Side note: what the hell is a "white mango"? If anyone should know mangoes, it'd be me, seeing as I'm half-Filipino, but I've never heard of them.)

ETA: Removed Luna Azul from the running based on the wise advice seen below.

ETA II: ordered Blauer Mond and Blue Moon. Thanks for your input, y'all!

Edited by MissMercurial

Happy early birthday! Not sure if I can help too much with choosing a Blue Moon, but I do have a decant of Blue Moon 2009 - Elizabeth's Creation, which is really similar to Blue Moon 2012 - looks like the only difference is that it has orchid instead of hyssop, and doesn't have the evening stock or rose milkweed. It's a very cool "blue" smelling scent if that makes any sense, although something in it smelled like pickles on me after I washed my hands. I got a lot of the florals and musk from it, not too much of the fruits or herbs.

PS: A white mango is a kind of mango that I think grows mostly in the Caribbean - the flesh is white, the outside looks like a regular mango. One of my Haitian friends loooooves them.

Hi folks! I love that there's a trio of blue moon scents this month, especially considering my circumstances. You see, I turn twenty-one on this month's blue moon (August 31st). Exciting in my book! So I was hoping some people who have experience with previous Blue Moon incarnations can help me choose one of the three. I've italicized the notes that sound most appealing to me.

For reference, I adore Urania ("moonflower, Moroccan jasmine, benzoin, white musk, iris, moss and a flash of ozone"), which is moon-like at least concept-/note-wise IMO, and have determined what draws me most to that scent are the Moroccan jasmine, white musk, and ozone (possibly moonflower as well). I've had so-so luck with iris/orris root, frankincense, and lavender (I consider the plants iris and lavender two of my favorites, more's the irony.). White and skin musks tend to work well on me.

BLAUER MOND - Brian's interpretation of the Blue Moon. A glimmer of hope emerging from a sea of dreams: sea buckthorn berry, terebinth pine, frankincense, hyssop, white sage, Neptune's night-blooming jasmine, cucumber, lavender, ambergris accord, and violet leaf.

BLUE MOON 2012 - The spirit of the full moon is capricious, intense and passionate, yet still distant, aloof and cold. Luna herself governs glamours, bewitchments and dream-work, innocent wonder, transient pleasure and delight, the Moment, impulse, mystery and veils. The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature:

Mugwort, for psychic sensitivity... Calea Zacatechichi, yarrow, and mastic for divination through dreams... Frankincense and hyssop for complexity, wisdom and noscere...

... with a potent lunar-charged, oneirongenic blend of blue musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, evening stock, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, rose milkweed, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit.

LUNA AZUL - Ted's interpretation of the Blue Moon. This is the scent of star-crossed love, folly, and passionate lunacy: white mango, French lavender, orris root, fig leaf, ylang ylang, mugwort, styrax, oakmoss, camphor, and black opium tar.

(Side note: what the hell is a "white mango"? If anyone should know mangoes, it'd be me, seeing as I'm half-Filipino, but I've never heard of them.)

Happy early birthday! Not sure if I can help too much with choosing a Blue Moon, but I do have a decant of Blue Moon 2009 - Elizabeth's Creation, which is really similar to Blue Moon 2012 - looks like the only difference is that it has orchid instead of hyssop, and doesn't have the evening stock or rose milkweed. It's a very cool "blue" smelling scent if that makes any sense, although something in it smelled like pickles on me after I washed my hands. I got a lot of the florals and musk from it, not too much of the fruits or herbs.

PS: A white mango is a kind of mango that I think grows mostly in the Caribbean - the flesh is white, the outside looks like a regular mango. One of my Haitian friends loooooves them.

Thank you! You may officially say you're the first person to wish me a happy birthday :P

I did some Internet digging and white mangoes seem to be fairly uncommon, so I don't feel too bad about not knowing what they are, haha. Apparently they smell/taste similar to mangoes mixed with either strawberries or jackfruit.

Thanks for your input - I'm happy to hear it smelled cool/"blue" to you, and the hyssop-for-orchid substitution makes me a happy camper anyways! I was a bit turned off by the fruits from the descriptions of these blends because I generally don't like mixing florals with non-citrus fruits and don't like passionfruit as a food.

A Blue Moon 21st birthday? I say go for all 3! :P But if that's not on the table, I think your safest bet would be Blue Moon based on what you say here. This is my birthday month as well, and I'm very tempted by Beth's blend myself!

I vote the first - that way you can review it and tell me if the frankincense is too much! :D Happy b-day.

Fisrt - Happy Birthday!

I voted for Blue Moon 2012, because so many notes in that one seemed like a win, but that being said, I betcha they are all amazing.

I think my second choice would have to be Blauer Mond, because pretty much anything Brian Makes is Genius, so... :lol:

A Blue Moon 21st birthday? I say go for all 3! :P But if that's not on the table, I think your safest bet would be Blue Moon based on what you say here. This is my birthday month as well, and I'm very tempted by Beth's blend myself!

Happy birthday to you as well :D!

And yeah, I was tempted by that notion for a bit (ordering all three, that is) but I know that as soon as I got to checkout I wouldn't be able to finish the order because that big total would scare me, haha. I'd just look at it and freak out a little inside, unsuccessfully try to justify the purchase to myself, and end up buying only one of them, if not skipping out on ordering altogether. So I figure might as well skip all that indecision/anxiety phase and ask for other people's recommendations/opinions ^___ ^

Thanks for all the replies/votes so far - I really appreciate it!

*groans*

You guys just had to make it all tied up, didn't you? ARGH D:

I'm giving this til 8 PM tonight, then ordering.

(Thank you again, though, for the votes, although I do terribly wish some of you gave explanations to go with your votes!)

On the good side, that means the lab made one for almost every taste ^^

You could always order 2/3 though, smaller total than all 3... but make it more likely you find one (or two knowing the lab) that works on you and you can love and always remember your 21st bday with. And since Luna Azul is through the BPTP as well as having two notes you say are iffy on you, maybe that is a good one to rule out so you are only paying for shipping once? Also that way you are only risking the lavender iffy note once. Though I do admit its a tough call because they all sound amazing, that is one way to par it down.

*groans*

You guys just had to make it all tied up, didn't you? ARGH D:

I'm giving this til 8 PM tonight, then ordering.

(Thank you again, though, for the votes, although I do terribly wish some of you gave explanations to go with your votes!)

Er I voted for Luna Azul because it sounds delicious. :D (Plus I've never came across that white mango note before and my mood is permanently set to curious so I couldn't let it go past.)

But if you're really into moonflower I'd go for Beth's Blue Moon, it sounds exquisite.

But Blauer Mond has night-blooming jasmine which is also gorgeous.

Ok I guess I'm not really helping here. I ordered Blauer Mond and Luna Azul, I didn't go for Blue Moon because blends with that many notes almost never work on my skin :( .

You could always order 2/3 though, smaller total than all 3... but make it more likely you find one (or two knowing the lab) that works on you and you can love and always remember your 21st bday with. And since Luna Azul is through the BPTP as well as having two notes you say are iffy on you, maybe that is a good one to rule out so you are only paying for shipping once? Also that way you are only risking the lavender iffy note once. Though I do admit its a tough call because they all sound amazing, that is one way to pare it down.

...The cadet's logic is sound*.

When you put it that way, it does make a lot of sense to cut out Luna Azul. Though I thought you could combine BPTP/BPAL orders vis-à-vis shipping? No matter - the rest of your reasoning stands.

Adiós, Luna Azul!

(I have removed that option from the poll.)

*sorry, couldn't help that one - I am a huge Star Trek fangirl and working show/movie dialogue into non-fandom conversation makes me giggle :P

ETA: all of the blends have lavender in them so I'm hedging my bets on that note regardless of which one(s) I choose, but lavender is much less iffy on me than orris root, so I'm still okay with cutting out Luna Azul.

Edited by MissMercurial

Glad to help. And for clarification, from what I understand, the BPTP and Lab are technically two different companies in two different locations... so any kind of order combining would be a logistical nightmare for them. But what you can combine now is etsy orders, because where they keep those and the site orders is the same.

You could always order 2/3 though, smaller total than all 3... but make it more likely you find one (or two knowing the lab) that works on you and you can love and always remember your 21st bday with. And since Luna Azul is through the BPTP as well as having two notes you say are iffy on you, maybe that is a good one to rule out so you are only paying for shipping once? Also that way you are only risking the lavender iffy note once. Though I do admit its a tough call because they all sound amazing, that is one way to pare it down.

...The cadet's logic is sound*.

When you put it that way, it does make a lot of sense to cut out Luna Azul. Though I thought you could combine BPTP/BPAL orders vis-à-vis shipping? No matter - the rest of your reasoning stands.

Adiós, Luna Azul!

*sorry, couldn't help that one - I am a huge Star Trek fangirl and working show/movie dialogue into non-fandom conversation makes me giggle :P

ETA: all of the blends have lavender in them so I'm hedging my bets on that note regardless of which one(s) I choose, but lavender is much less iffy on me than orris root, so I'm still okay with cutting out Luna Azul.

Edited by tativa