Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
briecheese1188

Similar to Any Tom Ford Perfumes?

I've recently become obsessed with nearly all of Tom Ford's Private Blend fragrances. They are ridiculously expensive though, and I'd love some recommendations for BPAL oils similar to the following (whether you've sniffed these or just can make recommendations based on the notes)!

Amber Absolute: amber, incense, vanilla, olibanum, labdanum and woody notes

Noir de Noir: rose, oud, vanilla, patchouli, chocolate accord

Oud Wood: oud, vanilla, sandalwood, rosewood, vetiver, amber

Tobacco Vanille: tobacco leaf, tonka bean, tobacco blossom, vanilla, cacao and woody notes

Tuscan Leather: leather, raspberry, saffron, olibanum

Santal Blush: Indian spices, cumin, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, sandalwood, cedar, benzoin, musk and oud

Black Orchid: black truffle, ylang-ylang, black currant, patchouli, sandalwood, dark chocolate, incense, amber, vetiver, vanilla and balsam

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm rather new to BPAL and have only tried a dozen or so oils. One of my favorites so far is Brown Jenkin :D

I've tried quite a few of the Tom Ford scents, although my favorites so far are White Suede and Musk Pure. My recommendations aren't the same, by any stretch, but if you like Amber Absolute you might want to try Sri Lanka and Mr. Jacquel. For Noir de Noir, maybe The Orchard? It's the only one as far as I know that would even be similar, but it's not as dark. For Oud Wood, I think the most similar is going to be The Magician from Gaiman's Cards from a Vampire Tarot - the listed notes are Burmese rosewood, olibanum, benzoin, turmeric, currant leaf, and oude.

I'll take a look at the others later, when I'm not wrestling an aggravated toddler. ;)

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

The Bow and Crown of Conquest is a dead ringer for Tobacco Vanille to my nose...no, scratch that, it's a better Tobacco Vanille (or TV's a worse BCC). :wub2:

The Bow and Crown of Conquest is a dead ringer for Tobacco Vanille to my nose...no, scratch that, it's a better Tobacco Vanille (or TV's a worse BCC). :wub2:

I much prefer it to Tobacco Vanille, I agree. :wub2:

I much prefer it to Tobacco Vanille, I agree. :wub2:

I was just trying out Dolly Kei for the first time this morning, and I found it to be almost the same as Tobacco Vanille on my skin - just a little softer. I didn't see this thread before writing my review of DK though, and now I'm going to have to find my imp of Bow and Crown to check it out.. I don't remember recognising any similarity to TV when I tested it, but now I'm curious! briecheese - unfortunately Dolly Kei is going to be hard to find right now due to it only being available at the recent Anime Expo, but if you can manage to find a little tester then I'd definitely recommend trying it out to see if you think it's a TV-alike :smile:

I also agree with GRR's suggestion of Sri Lanka for Amber Absolute :thumbsup:

For Noir de Noir, maybe The Orchard?

Crap. Noir de Noir's my favorite Tom Ford blend (and rose blend for that matter) and the only one I'd gladly cough up the money for. Since I haven't yet (thankfully) I'll need to hunt down a bottle of The Orchard...thanks for the new lemming! ;)

I have recently sniffed Tom Ford's Black Violet

Bruised Violet Compound is very very similar and it is much better I think :wub2:

Anybody have any comparisons to Black Orchid? I get just a breath of flowers and vetiver floating over the top; on me it's mostly a creamy incensey patchouli with black currant. I will never ever be able to afford a $150 bottle of perfume but ugh, it's lovely.

I'd kill for a BPAL equivalent to Tobacco Vanille. Bow and Crown of Conquest doesn't work for me - the imp I have is all about the sage and lavender, no tobacco or vanilla in sight. I wonder if that's a batch or aging difference, or just my nose?

Retesting Dolly Kei now - this is closer, and really nice, but not quite it. There's a faint cloying caramel or bubblegum note in it (tonka?) that makes Dolly Kei not quite a must-have for me. And it doesn't have the ultra-deep tobacco and vanilla that the Tom Ford scent has.