Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Butterscotch and Blackbeetles

Butterscotch candies flecked with dirt, encased in a shiny black shell of myrrh, patchouli, and anise seed.

Wet: Butterscotch and dirt. :eek:

Dry: The beetle part of this scent is quite pleasant. The anise seed is not the scary nauseating licorice variety. It's more earthy, almost an anise/patchouli combination which is quite lovely. I do enjoy the dirt note and the anise seed but as in all sweet/foody scents...the butterscotch is making me a wee bit. :sick:From wet to dry down, it stays sweet although it does fade to a lightly sweet scent its still too sweet for my tastes and makes me nauseous. I think that on a really really off day I would be able to wear this so I will definitely be keeping my decant..but thankfully I won't need much more.

First I get a blast of butterscotch. I don't love butterscotch, but this is pretty good and doesn't smell plasticy or overly buttery at all. I get a hint of patchouli with it too. Also vetiver? Somehow I could swear there's vetiver.

After only a few minutes, the butterscotch dies down a bit and the vetiver begins to separate into smoky myrrh and sweet anise. The anise is very faint, though.

A nice, foody scent for fall.

Edit: I was wrong. The vetiver scent did not disappear (though it was never overwhelming or unpleasant). I think it is the dirt note. Funny, I was expecting oakmossy or dusty dirt. It's a lot like something I get from Black Annis.

Edited by patina

In The Bottle: I get a mix of Butterscotch, Cedar and Vetiver. The butterscotch and cedar remind me strongly of Hearth 2005. (I know I didn't see any cedar listed in the notes. Maybe it's the Anise??? :eek: ) I was expecting a strong butterscotch, based on a CT I have that's of the WHOA BUTTERSCOTCH! variety, but this is pretty mellow, even in the bottle.

Wet On Skin: The scent morphs quickly into just that Cedar (Anise?) note and the Vetiver (which might be the myrrh doing something weird on my skin.)

Dry Down: This is now a woodsy, slightly resinous scent. Completely changed from what was in the bottle.

In All: Surprisingly low throw considering the intensity of the notes. I read this as a good "early autumn" scent, so I'm glad I chose today, a somewhat crispy early autumn day to try it. The note that smells like cedar on me is well behaved, not becoming the "hamster cage shavings" that real cedar does, so that's nice. but other than that, I feel unable to tell if this is something that is ultimately for me. Because of the depth of the notes, I have a suspicion that this might do very well for some aging, but if, in 6 month, I'm not seeing a shift then it will likely go to a new, more appreciative home. ;)

Under a nice sheen of butterscotch, it's all headache inducing patchouli and vetiver on me. I can't stand vetiver, as it makes me feel ill, and I'm pretty sure that is what I'm smelling more than patchouli. I can see why this would work on someone who likes both sweet and earthy scents, but unfortunately it is not for me.

Sniff: Sugary sweet patchouli. I have to admit, it's an odd combination and messing with my senses a bit.

Wet: Well, it's still primarily patchouli on me, but there's a sweet buttery overtone and scratchy herbal twang. I don't get much anise, but maybe it's just all mixed into the general herbal scent.

Dry: As it dries, it gets sweeter. The butterscotch note is stronger, as the patchouli becomes smoother. The mix of candy sweetness and dirty earth doesn't really quite work for me. While I find it interesting, I don't think it's something I'd wear.

Butterscotch immediately! So sweet! Then a blast of earthy dirt. The labs description is just so dead on. It starts sweet but always has that dark dirt background, which eventually dominates on my skin. Not a bad thing though! Love this scent and I will have to use this sparingly to make sure I have it forever!!

ITI: Earthy butterscotch with a little anise seed and myrrh. It’s super sweet, but a little earthy at the same time. Odd.

Wet: Thick, sweet butterscotch candies (those round ones), dirt, and patchouli. It smells like one of those candies hand been dropped on the ground.

Dry: While my nose is stuff after finally succumbing to my cold, I can still detect faint butterscotch and myrrh. It’s rather pleasant when given time to dry sufficiently.

In the imp: rich, smokey butterscotch. Really, it's quite delicious.

Applied: OH.MY.GOD. Where did that delicious butterscotch go? Did my skin eat it up in seconds? All I get is dirt. Dirt, dirt and MORE dirt. And there's something underlying that puts me into 'Get it off! Get it off! GET IT OFF!' mode.

I really wanted to like this one; and I've NEVER had this kind of reaction to a scent before. I don't even know what to say. I had to scrub it off, and I can still smell it up my nose.

this really shouldn't work on me, patchouli and myrrh both hate me :lol: and the mention of vetiver made me not even want to try it on :lol: but very glad i did! this is an amazing blend of sweet and dirt and a teeeeny hint of vetiver that doesn't take over and kill it :thud: love it! very grateful to the person who sent me this frimp cause i never would've tried it on my own! :wub2:

Sniffie from Ralenth:

Starts out as delicious, wet Butterscotch Candy. Then... what on earth??? Morphing to plastic. Not just ANY plastic, but dusty old plastic. It is eerily familiar and unsettling, then it hits me - this is the scent of the historic aircraft in the museum in my city. Huge, hulking, and dark. Filled with aging electronics, cracked vinyl upholstery, faded logbooks.

And ghosts.

Really creepy scent! Do not want to smell this on me EVER again!

At first, this smells EXACTLY like those creamy, tan butterscotch candies. No brand in particular, they all seem to smell and taste the same. After a bit, the patchouli comes out, and this tempers the sweetness somewhat. I'm surprised that I find this quite wearable, as I am scared of caramel, but this doesn't seem to fit caramel's usual fair on me, and it is butterscotch, after all. I love a sweet patchouli, but not too patchy and not too sweet. I like this, though it does borderline on the sweet side. I'm glad I got a decant, I'm pleasantly surprised and do enjoy this one quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's Banshee Beat, but perhaps a second cousin.

Uh! This one is going to warrant a multiple bottle hunt :thud: This starts out as a perfect butterscotch note. As it dries, I start to pick out the dirt and the patchouli. Whoever said it smells like a butterscotch candy covered in dirt is spot on. A few hours later, I'm left with candy-coated patchouli perfection. :wub2: This will be a great summertime scent for me. It's joyful, sweet and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Bought this from another forum member. Wet: butterscotch, rich and buttery, with a hint of dirt. I love it at this stage!! But it doesn't stay like this... :evil: dry: the patchouli and anise and vetiver comes out and makes a slightly headache inducing mixture until it drys further to patchouli with a bit of butterscotch sweetness on top. I'm torn between hunting down more bottles and only keeping the one bottle....hmmm...... Throw is great at first, but staying power is only for 5 hours or so...maybe with a fixative it will be better?

Got this as a frimp. Like many other people, I got a big hit of the butterscotch at first, and then it fades out within half an hour. Rather than being left with dirt, though, I get straight up Chapstick. If I really huff my wrists, it's a complex and interesting Chapstick, but it's still not a plus. I hope whoever I pass it on to likes it!

Wet, butterscotch is the most prominent note. On the drydown, the dirt begins to emerg. It's actually really pretty, it makes me reminisce of frolicking in the garden this past summer. The myrth and anise are coming out to play after a few minutes. Once dry, it's quite lovely how the notes mingle together.. It really is butterscotch flecked with bits of dirt. The butterscotch is nowhere near as powerful as the initial blast. I actually find this scent to be a bit light. This is a very lovely fall scent!

In the bottle: Butterscotch! Yum!! :yum:

Wet: The butterscotch is loud and delicious! I love the butterscotch note BPAL uses it's a favorite of mine and I have tried a lot of scents with it.

Dry: Sadly the dry down is where this scent gets less love and more like for me. As it dries down (which does take a while like and hour or so) that dirt note comes out. I hoped it would be earthy but actually it is like dirt and I don't think I like it. I don't get any anise either. The dirt note starts to come forward and the butterscotch fades away. And then I'm left with dirt. I will say though the initial butterscotch hit is amazing and I wish it stuck around. But I have plenty of other wonderful butterscotch scents so no need to hoard this one.

I do love the labels on the Coraline scents! They are soooo adorable! And this one is awesome! :)

I just got this in the mail today and I am in LOVE.

In the bottle-Very Butterscotch, with a hint of earthiness.

Wet- Oh no! Super patchouli on me, and patchouli and I are not friends. I really hope this dries down nicely.

Dry- The butterscotch is there again at the front, with a musty sort of dark smell behind it. Seriously just like a candy dropped in the dirt. I can almost smell the couch in the Other Mother's living room as she turns to offer Coraline a beetle. I love the depth of this one!

UPDATE: This left me with a MAJOR migraine. I'm not sure exactly what did it, but I ended up having to scrub it off and pop some Excedrin. I'm so bummed because I really do love the way it smells.

Edited by haileeheart

In the bottle this is pure, glorious butterscotch. I know that if it goes wrong, it's only because of my chemistry (though foodie stuff usually works)

Wet - Peanut brittle. And not in a bad way, at all.

Dry - Wow. This is butterscotch and dirt. It's awesome. Not too sweet. A little dusty. Some richness. Love!

I love Coraline and I am a big lover of all of the scents. For me the firs thing I smelled when I put it on was the anise, which I was so excited about. But quickly all I can smell after is Myrrh. But it's spicy on me. Sadly I smell no butterscotch at all, and the anise ( I love this) is only a whisper. Not sure if this has changed over time and aging as I don't know how old the bottle is, I got it from someone else. I'll probably test it another time or maybe mix it with something sweeter to see if I can get to love it like I want to. The artwork on the bottle is amazing I have to say that much too. I love Myrrh a lot of my scents have that note in it, but I feel like that's all I can smell in this one the 'dirt' I was hoping for a mix with the candy.

BUTTERSCOTCH!

I knew I liked it as food so when I saw Butterscotch Balls and Black Beetles from Coraline on eBay I had to try it. I have found my scent soulmate! It is warm and buttery but the patchouli keeps from being too foody. Actually it is a dirty and sexy skin scent on the dry down. Now I must have all the bottles!

Got this as a sniffie from a generous forumite -- thank you, Traubert! It is definitely interesting, the butterscotch immediately tempered with something more like machine oil than dirt on my skin, though never letting go of the sweetness entirely, but I don't absolutely adore it, which is a good thing because there's hardly any more and it must be hard to come by. But I'm thrilled that I got to try it out.

Everyone's review of butterscotch and dirt that is well-balanced pretty well sums this up. "Dirt" being patchouli mixed with anise. Kinda along the same lines as Fortuna Annonaria. I was lucky enough to get a hair gloss that a lovely forumite created using a bottle of this. Highly recommend!

funny the thing i like about it the most is that is smells like butterscotch candy that was dropped in dirt

this is it. dirty butterscotch is weirdly amazingly great.