Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Masquerade

A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

A base of dark and charred patchouli with hints of spicy carnation and traces of orange blossom. More of a night scent and better worn in late fall.

Kind of shocked I had never tried this before, or if I had I hadn't reviewed it and didn't remember it. But bought an imp during my "let's revisit some favorite GCs missing from my collection" period and glad I did.

IN THE IMP: Fresh, sharp, unique.

Dabbed in crook of one arm.

WET: Somehow medicinal and fresh and light at the same time. A golden scent. The patchouli is the predominant note at first but the carnation and OB lighten it up, Francis. Delicious complex and demanding my attention.

DRYDOWN: A teasing, playful and mysterious scent all at once, which, if you think about it, is perfect fit for its name. I can't really put my finger on any of the individual notes, they're so well blended, but I am testing four scents at once (two wrists, two crooks of arms) and this is the one I keep coming back to huff.

OVERALL: Glad I got this and will probably get more. I really, really love it the more I smell it. Probably NOT a big bottle purchase at this point because I have a lot of scents that are similar enough to have the same effect.

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.5

Wet: Soapy orange blossom grounded by dirty patchouli.

Drydown: Orange blossom always smells soapy on me and this is no exception. The carnation pairs with it, creating a soapy, breathy, floral perfume. Contradicting the florals is the patchouli, which smells especially dirty - bordering on gritty - in this blend. The duality is indeed evocative of extravagant ball gowns juxtaposed with demonic-looking masks. The two elements dance about the other in a way that feels like something is about to happen. And eventually it does when the ambergris steps forth to gild the scent and adds some much-needed body.

Dry: Each note stands on its own now with perhaps the patchouli a hair stronger than the rest. There is an earthy spiciness that smells nearly like pepper and an almost-sweetness that makes me wonder if perhaps the orange blossom is starting to behave. Earthy, dry, spicy, sweet, breathy, and floral. Colorwise, this blend lives in the realms of shadowed golds and soft, pinkish browns. It’s very romantic.

7 out of 10 bones

• ITI: A dusty orange blossom with slight carnation spice. It's...odd. I'm not sure as to whether or not I like it.

Wet: The patchouli rivals much of the orange blossom and carnation, but there's more spiciness and floral tones than anything sweet. There is a touch of muskiness, but it reads as a honey-d musk. It's growing on me as it settles.

Dry: The patchouli takes over much of the scent once dried. I'm having trouble, in fact, picking up anything other than that. Granted, it's a really intense, deep, non soil-laden patchouli, which makes the note pleasant even on its own.

My first review! So someday I will get a rhythm with reviews (I'm hoping) but now, just my general impression:

I see in the beginning a lot of people compared this to a particular Lush product. I was inspired to review this product upon realizing it actually made think of what I refer to as the 'Lush store scent.' That smell Lush stores or counters get from ALL their products melding together. Some people love this. (I generally like it.) Some people hate it. I'd suggest keeping this in mind when thinking of trying this scent because if you have a strong feeling about that smell one way or another it really is pretty close to it.

The only person who's commented on this scent to me really picked out the patchouli notes. Definitely there, but I feel like I detect the fruity sweetness (must be the orange blossom) almost as much. Not my favorite but enough for me to want to finish off the imp I got. I can stand smelling like this for awhile! Lasted a medium amount of time on me, throw seemed medium.

Overall rating: 6/10

This is a bit like YSL Opium, but more effervescent and multi layered. I feel a tightening excitement in my chest when I put this on and syteshetically get deep monarch butterfly orange, golden lights from high in a room and shadows dancing in soft browns. Love

The combination of patchouli and neroli in this makes it a smoky, almost bitter scent, balanced out by the spice of the carnation and warmth of the ambergis. Overall this is dark, smoky, spices.

In the bottle: Patchouli mixed with sharp yet vague citrus, and green/pine, hints of orange in the background. Overall "acrid" and strong, but also wet. I loooooved this in the bottle, so much, unlike almost everyone else. I love strong scents like patchouli, just wish it lasted longer.

Wet on skin: Same as above, yay. Too bad it only lasts for a minute or so.

Drydown: The strong patchouli quickly dissipates and it becomes a nice soft incense with orange blossom and what must be carnation in the background. It's pleasant, but more of a close to the skin scent, not much throw, but love the scent. Carnation might be the one floral I can handle besides very very dark violets.

Edited by MarlaMoreau

Masquerade imp

Wet/Bottle - Patchouli and ambergris? What an interesting combo. Citrus, maybe? Could be from either the ambergris or orange blossom. Strong and very slightly floral, so this really could go either way.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - This is very warm on my skin - not warm scented, i can actually feel a temperature difference. I've never experienced that from BPAL before. But what was in the imp is entirely changed. What was strong and powerful patchouli is now almost undetectable. I even applied a second layer and wated another 5 minutes, it's still barely there with 0 throw.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - It doesn't smell like I've even applied perfume today, it's just gone.

Apparently my skin just drinks this blend, which is too bad. I was really liking the drydown up until that point. :(

I just placed an order for a bottle. I love Masquerade!

This smells very similar to Karma to my nose. I've always loved a patchouli/orange combo. The carnation spices things up. The ambergris keeps things seamless and smooth. Masquerade is pretty and bright yet earthy and sexy. I'm digging this and it's totally a "me" scent!

I got an imp of this as an extra with an imp I asked for. Surprisingly it's a scent I never tried, I do like patchouli. Which is what this is basically, it's a slightly sweet, slightly softened patchouli. I think it's the orange blossom that lightens it up and makes the patch less heavy. I don't get the carnation which is probably just as well because I have tried several scents with a carnation note that did unpleasant things on my skin. I don't now if I am getting the ambergris, I don't recognize that know well enough (perhaps I should collect some imps with an ambergris note and try to pin down what part is the ambergris). All together I really like Masquerade, although I am not sure if I like it enough to get a bottle. I will keep the imp at hand though, perhaps in one of my emergency imp sets.

Not sure what ambergris and carnation are supposed to smell like, but the orange blossom and patchouli are easy to pick apart.
Warm, red, earthy but clean (kind of like lush's devil's nightcap). On drydown at first I thought my skin ate it completely. However, right after that there's a very insence-y edge to it and it seems to be sticking to it. Nice, but not for me.

A spicy floral with a deep warmth from the patchouli and ambergris. It's definitely rich and mysterious, but not particularly dazzling on me.

I expect a wave of stinky patchouli as soon as I apply Masquerade, but instead I smell... lollipops?

Yup. On me this smells like a sticky-sweet orange lollipop. Just slightly creamy, enough to make me think of creamsicle, but it's not committed to creamsicle.

Not the expected. And it doesn't change.

I love ambergris, carnation and patchouli, but orange blossom and I don't get along. I still really wanted to try this.

Wet: Oh wow, that's a lot of orange blossom. BUT it's not immediately going bitter and yucky on my skin. The patch is present, earthy and dry, not gnarly. The carnation is just a hint of spice. I'm not getting any ambergris, sadly.

Dry: Dry, dusty patchouli. Nothing else, it all faded right away. It doesn't smell bad, I just like other notes with my patchouli.

The is a scent I was interested in (especially the name since I'm going to a masquerade ball next year). I ordered an imp out of that curiosity, not solidly sure of which notes would turn out the strongest.

In Bottle: First impression is orange blossom and patchouli. Not half bad, but we'll see how it goes.

Wet on Skin: I think the ambergris is coming out as well. The carnation must be very light. This is a bit more masculine than I was expecting, but it's certainly not unpleasant.

Approx. 1 and a Half Hours Later: I think I should start off by pointing out that, while I was on a morning walk, I could detect a citrusy throw from this one; I just thought it was neat that I caught it in passing. Overall, I feel like it's the same: patchouli, ambergris, and orange blossom for sure and not sure I'm getting any carnation.

------

The whole thing smells like cologne to me. It's not unpleasant, but I'm not digging it on myself. I might try it again someday, but it's firmly in my personal no pile so far. Just not my style.

I just received a frimp of this lovely gem...how have I not fallen in love with it before?! Bright orange patchouli dazzles me after it dries down. There was something medicinal happening early on but it completely disappears. Magnificent!

Edited by Herb Girl

I can smell every note in this one, and it's a surprisingly nice combination. Spicy citrusy carnation, really - I barely get any amber at all, but it's there. Sharpens as it dries a little. Reminds me of a pomander, or a spiced orange.

I received this as a frimp with a BPAL order, so it contains notes I usually avoid like patch and carnation, but I am pleasantly surprised by this one. It is definitely patch, but a softer and florally patch which may be the ambergris and orange blossom? The carnation adds a spike of spice to an otherwise smooth scent.

There's a ton of patchouli in this one. I can take it or leave patchouli as a note, so when it's the most powerful note I'm not usually too excited. I get a little orange blossom with it, but it's almost completely smothered by the patch. There's no subtlety on me with this one sadly.

Wet, Masquerade is orange blossom-ambergris-patchouli, with maybe a little spiciness from the carnation. The fruitiness of the orange blossom fades quickly on me, though, along with any hint of carnation, and the patch gets stronger and stronger. It's one of the drier patchoulis that work less well with my skin chemistry. I can see this being a favorite of die-hard patch lovers, but it's not really my thing.

In the imp: patchouli and florals.

Wet: goodbye patchouli, hello carnation and orange blossom. Why, skin, why must you ruin this so quickly? ...wait, that's not entirely true, there's a hint of woodiness that has to be from the patch, or maybe it's combining with the ambergris. In either case it's not doing nearly enough to stop the florals, and they're stabbing me behind the eyes. Scrub time.

I'm sure this is lovely if you don't have floral migraine triggers and love patchouli.

In the imp: I’m getting lots of orange blossom, followed by carnation.

Wet: The orange blossom is by far the most prominent note on my skin, but there’s some spicy carnation behind it. After a few minutes, I get a little patchouli.

Dry: I was sure the orange blossom was going to reign forever, but the patchouli is actually the strongest note after a while, with the orange blossom and carnation right behind it. Sadly, the ambergris in this is not a main player on me (I was hoping for more of it), but I can actually tell it is present during this phase of the scent, at least.

Verdict: Masquerade is not for me, as I am not fond of orange blossom, and there’s a lot of it here.

In the imp: Ambergris backed by patchouli, followed by the breathiness of orange blossom. 

On my skin:

Wet, some carnation spice leaps out of the scent into the throw. It's quickly swallowed up by patch and ambergris. As it dries, it becomes more patchouli-dominant, though I still get whiffs of the orange blossom. At this stage, it's almost like a harsher, less well-rounded Vixen. Given more time, this becomes more patchouli -- marked with the sharpness of fresh patchouli. I do get the occasional passing breath of orange blossom, but it's not much. 

I'm going to go ahead and call this one "needs to age." Absent carnation and sharp patchouli match what I know about how these notes in new v. aged oils tend to behave on me. 

When first applied, this is a patchouli bomb. Give it a little time, and the patch (which is a rich, smooth one) calms down, and the spicy carnation and sweet orange blossom have a chance to add their voices to the chorus. Patchouli is still the star of this show, make no mistake, but it works with the florals to make a beautiful harmony. I have no idea what ambergris smells like, so sadly I can't speak to that one. Masquerade is warm, rich and projects like crazy. Save this one for the colder months. 7/10 - a lovely option for late fall or winter