Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Masquerade

A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

In the bottle: very strong orange blossom

Wet: orange blossom with a hint of spiciness

Dry: up close, it's orange and warm patchouli (a really nice rounded patchouli, not incensey like most), but from a distance I keep smelling tobacco!

Verdict: This is a really interesting combination - the first BPAL oil I've tried that has two distinct halves. I like both the original orange blossom and the dried-off orangey tobacco, though, and I'll be wearing this again.

When I tried Katharina, something smelled really sour on my skin and I suspected the orange blossom note was the culprit. Masquerade just confirmed my suspicions. This lovely freebie from the lab turned truly rancid on me, thanks to my screwy body chemistry. Such a shame, because Masquerade got some wonderful reviews and I was hoping to find a deep, non-musky scent.

*Gasp squeee!*

This was very piney, green, sharp and strong, a little spicey and kinda not me at first and I almost dismissed this as one of those herbal blends I find fascinating but just can't wear. However, (for once praise the chemistry) it softened, sweetened and did what my much beloved Allegory does on me - sweetens into sugar frosted juniper.

Normally I'd be tossing this in the swap pile since my chemistry wonkies it to something similar, but as Allegory is discontinued I will one day have a replacement when I run out. Squeee!

Eh... I'm not really sure what I think about Masquerade.

In the vial, it's dry and dirty, very bitter and I definitely pick out patchouli.

On me, it's dry and dirty, rather quite bitter, but with a bite from the carnation and just a hint of orange blossom. But you only smell the carnation and orange blossom when you exhale.

I kind of like it, but the bitter and dusty/dirty scent makes me hesitant.

I like the smell of patchouli, so I wanted to give this one a try. When it first goes on, it smells totally masculine on me. I think it's something about the patchouli interacting with the ambergris. As I wear it a bit longer, it mellows out a bit, and I do smell the individual elements, the orange, a bit of carnation, the patchouli, and the ambergris (the latter subdued so it's not overpowering). It's nice, but it's not how I want to smell. I think it would be SO SEXY on a guy.

GAAAH

Lost my post!

Wet, I smell cocoa in with the rest of the scents mentioned. Odd...

Initial dry, creamy spicy orange

Full dry - Lush Karma. (Never smelled Icon) It's a better behaved, more balanced Karma. I used to wear that perfume.... and get lots of compliments. It's not something I find really lovely now, but I may have to try this in public.

Overall, a very nice blend. I'm more of a floral girl these days, so the fate of my imp is in question. But, it does bring back fond memories of walking around Scotland (where I found Lush).

It definitely has 'something' reminiscent of Karma and Icon by Lush. The orange perhaps? Masquerade has a slightly bitter note that I'm not sure of and lacks in 'smokiness' to be really like Icon. Despite this, I do like its pine and orange scent (I can't pick out carnations at all).

Bottle Sniff: A little heavy, incensy. I can definitely smell the ambergris and patchouli. I was hoping the orange blossom and carnation in the description would be more prominent...here goes...

Wrist Sniff: Wet on me, the orange suddenly pops out! It's a nice compliment to the heavier, more formal notes in this. Gives it a little spice, a little tang, like a high-class party where nobody's wearing any underwear.

And so: If I weren't wishing so hard for Winter to be over so AI could opena bloody window in the house, I'd be liking this scent more. Right now though, anything that even faintly invokes the indoors is not on my love-it list.

This was a Lab freebie. Not something I'd have ordered for myself, and fresh out of the bottle I didn't like it much. Orange blossom smells bitter and harsh to me, although fortunately it seems to fade quickly once it's on my skin. Patchouli is more problematic, especially when it's a primary ingredient.

Once on, I could smell the patchouli and something sharp, which is probably the carnation. R. finds it flinchworthy. Drydown doesn't change it much. It's more pleasant than I expected once the orange blossom is gone; I think the carnation is balancing the patchouli. Although I could probably get used to this, I think I'll be better off looking for something with carnation in it that doesn't have musky notes. I may decide to compare-and-contrast this with Danse Macabre before I make a final decision about it, though.

Patchouli is very loud in this scent! But there is almost a piney scent that I'm catching! As this drys the orange blossom is coming out. It's toning down the patchouli, and the pine scent. The Carnation is the very last scent that I'm getting. It's very soft, and shows up when this has soaked into my skin. Very contrary, and lovely scent!

Initial Sniff: In the vial, I smell a strong patchouli with a touch of orange.

Wearing: Initially the patchouli and orange are very strong, but within minutes the carnation starts to dominate. I love Beth's carnation - it is spicy and creamy - just gorgeous! The other notes provide an interesting base for the carnation.

Final Impressions: This is fantastic! I love it!

The orange blossom and patchouli are instantly recognizable--like Ravenous and Vixen. The powder of carnation is discernable (becoming stronger during drydown), and gives it a bit of a mellowness that Vixen and Ravenous certainly do NOT have. This scent is mysterious and compelling...I picture a masked lady in a dark gown smiling enigmatically down at my small-child self when I smell this fragrance.

Masquerade is very interesting indeed. There is a sharp herby greeness accompanying the orange...with works because the orange isn't sweet at all. The patchouli is rather apparent on my skin, which I'm not liking as it is starting to overpower everything else. I don't smell the carnation at all, which is a shame. There are some complex combinations going on in the background of this scent, which is very intriguing. I have no idea what might be causing this (the cedar others have mentioned?) but I'm getting a slight undercurrent of pencil shavings here too.

All in all a very pretty and unusual scent, but my skin chemistry doesn't agree with it.

Edited by Fyre_in_Winter

in the vial rosewood???

wet: i still smell rosewood most, infact it reminds me of intrigue, and a bit of ouija, although it may not be because of the scent possibly a bit of the feel of it? if that makes sense.

as it dries i can detect a bit of teh carnation and neroli notes but it still seems mostly a resin scent (and i strongly think rosewood if u didn't get taht yet :P )

Masquerade; This blend smells a lot like The Coiled Serpent to me. The patchouli is very strong and it is not very sweet. This blend leans more towards the masculine side so I will give this imp to my brother. :P

First sniff from the bottle-Ambergris with a hint of orange

After 10 minutes- The ambergris is the dominate note in this one. It is a really sharp nose piercing smell! Like animal muskyness and olive juice mixed together.

After 30 minutes- As it dries down the ambergris fades a bit and the patchouli comes out more. I actually like how the patchouli and the orange blossom blend together. It is an earthy and sweet scent yet warm and spicy at the same time. Very masculine in a good way.

Summery- Too masculine for me. It reminds me of men's Aramis cologne.

Masquerade

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: I was really intrigued by this one - by the idea of it being both light and dark, of the idea of feathers and masks set off by the glow of candlelight.

In the vial: A little orange, a little pungent herb, and some kind of softness (the feathers - dark musk?)

On me:

I am getting orange with patchouli now, and something sweet and soft, which I think is musk. Again, there’s something pungent herbal in here, but that might be part of the patchouli. I definitely get the candles and feathers. Something about this scent reminds me of the scent of burning wax. And, a plus - it’s not too orangy, as I feared after just trying Xiuhtecuhtli.

In 20 minutes:

About the same. Very mysterious. Bright and heavy. Velvet and burning wax. This is definitely a night or evening scent, best enjoyed with candlelight.

In 45 minutes:

Still about the same, still about the same strength. Nice.

Overall:

This is a keeper. I love the burning wax, candle-smell, and it’s pretty amazing to find it in a perfume oil.

I'm liking this way more than I expected to. This is definitely a patchouli scent, but the orange blossom and carnation blend beautifully with it. Slightly orangy and peppery, this is very dark and mysterious. Herby and smoky, it's evocative of castles lit my candles and huge fireplaces. I may actually have to get a bottle of this.

My first review:

In principle, I thought that it did not go to be of

my affability (takes patchuli, and I do not like his scent in my skin)

but this is wonderful, neroli (that I adore!) and clavel united, calms

the hardness of patchuli making it cremoso. Bottle 5ml. without a

doubt. :P

I really like this one. I can smell the orange blossom, which is a sharp, bright scent, and the patchouli, which makes this deeper. It smells like a headshop where spiced orange tea is being made. It doesn't feel mysterious to me, but I do think that it's festive.

I may get a big bottle of this if I still like it as much after having tried other patchouli scents.

edit: I did get a 5 mL and Masquerade continues to be my favorite patchouli scent.

Edited by nineveh

Very dark. I agree with the poster who called this blend "dusty"; it really does smell like dust.

This and patchouli are all I get from Masquerade. Patchouli and dust.

In the bottle: Let me start out by saying that patchouli, carnation and orange blossom are all scents that normally do not work on me. That should make this fun. This smells like a cookie of doom. It's kinda sweet with some orange and then doom! Patchouli cookie of doom!

Wet: Ummm...ew. Patchouli and orange blossom should really not be mixed. Especially on my skin. This is a floral kind of patchouli but it also has this odd...I don't know...medicinal reek to it.

Dry down: Now it's down to just plain patchouli with the florals providing a nice medicinal background note to it. The longer I wear this, the more it kinda makes me want to hurl. I'm not very good with patchouli scents and orange blossom is just nasty on me.

Dry: Patchouli with a a floral orange blossom note. Too bad for me that orange blossom turns into nasty medicine when it hits my skin.

I got this as a frimp from the lab in my most recent order....

In the imp...

I can smell astringent orange and patchouli. The orange seems very potent, which is actually surprisingly nice as I'm not usually a fan of biting citrus- scents. This reminds me of something from Lush- perhaps the lovechild of their xmas L.E Orange n' Spice soap and Karma.

On the skin...

Wow! The moment it hits my skin it turns into a very well blended patchouli and orange-scent. The orange is on top at the moment. For some reason I can never detect carnation, but there is a certain spiciness to this blend which I'm guessing might be the carnation showing itself. At first it reminds me of Scherezade, but the resemblance is only superficial, as side by side Scherezade has a much sweeter drydown.

Drying-down...

As it dries down the patchouli deepens as the orange softens. The more this blend dries down, the more I like it.

I can detect the ambergris, but only because I have tried the singlenote- if I hadn't already experienced it, I don't think I'd be able to pick it out beneath the orange and patchouli which are the dominant notes on my skin.

Conclusion...

This is lovely- and very familiar. As well as the similarities to Lush and Scherezade I think the boyf and I used to use a similar smelling massage oil when we were first together. So it has, um, *ahem* happy associations :D

This blend is also strange in that the orange makes it seems quite summery, and yet the spiced orange aroma is also suggestive of yule. Christmas on the beach maybe?

At first I thought the lab's patchouli note and I did not get along... but I keep stumbling upon blends which have caused my to change my mind!

I forsee 5ml of this in my future! :P

A somewhat weird (for me) patchouli-orange blossom combo. Smoky, somewhat evoking Catherine for a bit. Goes incensy-orange, almost medicinally acidic and then to smoke. Not really my thing.

Wet it's a strong patchouli scent with a touch of ambergris.

Then the orange blossom comes out with a touch of carnation (I love carnation).

A good and strong oriental perfume, with a lot of personality.