Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
marared

Spanish Red Carnation

A celebratory scent, spicy and joyful. This is the nation flower of Spain. It symbolizes the suffering of Christ, the passion of lovers, and the laurels of victory.

Bottle: sweet, slightly spicy, cool. Definitively floral, of course, but not heady. Not a strong scent. It's almost like smelling the real petals.

On my skin: not all that different from the bottle. I think there's some kind of wood underpinning this scent, but it's very smooth, maybe ho wood? Again, there's not much throw; it sticks pretty close to the skin and fades after a couple of hours. I bet this would layer fabulously with patchouli.

This reminds me of Copper Phoenix. Not similar scents, but in the same family. SRC is more wood and CP is more metal, but they both have that same cool, smooth presentation.

Edit to say that with some body heat and sweat, the scent gets a lot louder and spicier, almost on par with Chrysanthemum Moon... Edited by Silvertree

Mmm.

Wet, reminds me very much of the top note of Clemence. Glorious, ruffly wet carnation petals. Does have a bit of similarity to LUSH's Potion lotion but where that goes more towards the rosey-aromatic petal part, this single note deepens a touch. I can definitely tell this isn't a faint carnation, this is definitely a 'red' category, the kind of red you see on frighteningly strong lipstick, like, drag queen fire engine red (Gurrrrrrl!).

Drydown is a little weaker overall, and adopts a much more rose-y, Rose Otto kind of sharp drydown. Mid-to high-pitched, uniform note.

Fun, because I'm going to run through my carnation blends and start searching for this now. I have definitely smelled this note before in Alice, Clemence, etc.

Also, this is a good learning experience for my hoarding, since I love the smell of this and adore carnations, but I think this will end up like my Fenris Wolf prototype - adored on occasion but glanced over for the final or finalized blends.

ETA about a few days later: it's super awesome, but really strong and definitely sharp. The edges on this are not blunted out. It's kind of like if you were to paint things with one shade of cadmium red, it's bold, it's present, it's red, but it is definitely a single note! I think I'll layer it onto things, though, hrm... like, put a string of carnations with some of my Yule blends.

Edited by Lycanthrope

Holy Carnation Batman, why did I not order five bottles of this! Wait! I still can!

OMG this is so good, it's so lush, and Clemence? WTF? I don't smell this in Clemence, that is a clove TKO for me. This is not sharp like Maiden, it's warm and round, lush and gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

Oh, and it lasts for hours and hours.

Edit * I am so stupid. Today I reached for my bottle of Clemence (I mean my partial dwindling down to a few precious drops bottle) and there it was! That carnation note right on top and still there an hour later...

Edited by stellamaris

Origin: Straight from the Lab!

Initial Thoughts: Single notes are back? CARNATION is one of the first? SOLD!!!!!

In the Bottle: Rich red and spicy carnation with just a hint of green to give the impression of fresh petals.

Wet: Oh yeah, that's CARNATION in my face! The green note has retreated for now, leaving a powerful spicy floral.

Drydown: The spicy calms down a bit and the leaf/stem green has perked back up. It's also developed a musky quality that may just be my skin amping any drop of musk to be found in a blend.

Verdict: I am going to have so much fun with this! Might need to snag a backup bottle before it goes away.

Mmmm so good. This is so warm and spicy it is almost musky, definitely a cold weather scent for my skin. There is a hint of green at first, but that is gone fast and this is sharp and hot as it lingers. Just what I wanted this scent to be. :D

I am Christopher Walken and carnation is my cowbell.

This SN is perfection, smells exactly like the real thing. Fresh, creamy, spicy. :wub2:

I love the scent of carnations, and so was thrilled to see this in the return of the SN, so of course I got it!

It is gorgeous, true red carnation scent. In the opening, when it is wet on the skin, it even smells wet, like walking into a florist's shop and picking a carnation out of the refrigerated area. I was amazed by how true to carnations it smelled--it has that lovely sweet almost clove like note that they are famous for.

So I absolutely LOVE the scent.

unfortunately, on me, it is super fleeting as a perfume. Put it on, enjoyed it, took a nap and 2 hours later, nada. Put more on and it's fading fast too. That's usually a deal breaker in perfumes for me: I am not interested in having to reapply. But this is so special and so true to the scent of carnations, that I'm going to have to overlook it. I'm delighted to have my bottle, but do wish the scent had more longevity.

I bet it will be gorgeous layered with Possets Silver Carnations, which I also love, but which is not carnation heavy enough for me.

Initial thoughts: I've been lusting after single notes since reading about the original ones. I literally squeaked with excitement when I saw the Singing Moon update. Carnation is one of my best love muffin notes that never fails me, so I'm crazy excited to try this bad boy out.

Wet: Strong, spicy, ruffly carnation :thud: This is gorgeous. Oh my god.

Dry down: Still strong and spicy, but it's starting to mellow out and become a little more creamy. I'm beginning to think that maybe one bottle isn't enough.

Dry: Creamy, spicy, strong carnation. I die.

Final thoughts: I enjoy perfumes that stay relatively consistent rather than morphing, and so the single notes are perfect for me. Spanish Red Carnation is absolutely everything I had hoped for and I find it to be very long lasting (6 hours and still going strong!). This, to me, is perfection in a bottle and I'm rearranging my budget for backup bottles before it goes down.

Verdict: :love!:

ETA wear time

Edited by Alethia

Carnation is another one of those notes that can be hit or miss on me, but this one is absolutely perfect. It smells exactly, exactly like a fresh-picked carnation, a bit stronger than the white and pink ones I'm used to, but an absolute dead ringer for the flower. I could swear there's even a bit of dewiness to it. Since fresh carnations also remind me of that old-fashioned Christmas candy that comes in all different colors, that was one of the first things I thought sniffing it. Floral but not cloying, a touch sweet, a touch spicy, and a huge surprise. I'm glad I took the chance!

Edited by Invidiana

This is a fresh picked carnation from start to finish. It's like I took a bouquet and rubbed it against my wrist. From the moment I open the bottle until the scent disappears, it keeps the same beautiful scent (though it does become creamier).

I may need a backup of this...and I've yet to finish a single bottle!

I love carnation. LOVE! And this really is a true, perfect, non morphing, long lasting carnation. For all that this is a perfect carnation, and it is beaaaautiful, I really don't think I would wear this. I LOVE carnation in a blend, but the single note is too simple for me alone, and I am not really a layering person!

This? Is GLORIOUS.

Now, anyone that knows me more than a few weeks learns quickly that my favorite of all flowers is the unsung hero, the Carnation. Oh, I obviously love violets and I like a good green tea rose and the like. But carnations have always held my heart. they are fresh and spicy and resilient (lasting several weeks in a vase!) when all others wilt. I love carnations.

Growing up in New York City, I've, over many years, gone to every place I can think of to get a good carnation perfume. Aphrodrsia, Enfleurage, Fresh...all to no avail.

Until now.

I am immediately understanding the allure of Single Notes- this being my first. There's a purity to them. What you get in the bottle is largely what you'll get on the skin. For those that need complexity, in terms of layers that reveal themselves as the scent is worn- Single Notes probably aren't going to be your thing.

You are meeting the scent on the scent's terms.

In the case of this Red Carnation, it is everything I could have hoped for and MORE- because with this I get that rare, precious thing- a perfume that stays true from bottle to application to drydown. And what's more-and ever MORE rare-a scent that actually smells like THE THING IT'S REFERENCING. Yes, this doesn't come across so much as a Carnation Perfume/Fragrance so much as, were I to close my eyes and be lead to this scent, I would be very likely to believe I was actually smelling a bouquet of carnations. :thud:

Medium throw and just beautiful beautiful beautiful. I WILL be getting a backup bottle for sure.

A wonderful way to kick off the new Single Notes! I cannot sing enough praises!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I was sad to learn, early on in my BPAL experience, that once, long ago, the Lab had single notes - one of which was carnation. At the time it didn't look likely that they would carry them again. I detest most florals, but I love carnation, and wanted a BPAL SN carnation with all my iddle heart.

So I about dropped my teeth when I checked in to see what might have been released with Singing Moon to find SN Spanish Red Carnation. Holeeee Crap!!1! Sign me up!

I was not disappointed.

This starts out an authentic, fresh-cut, slightly damp red carnation. Not white, not pink - red. I haven't stuck my face into a carnation flower recently, but when I was younger (like, decades ago... :lol: ) I used to love to put my nose right into fresh red carnations and soak in the scent and the soft tickle of the petals. For the first half hour or so, it smells just like that childhood memory. As time passes it mellows into a rich, slightly creamy scent, losing some of the green smell it started out with, but very wearable. I don't feel the need to layer it with anything, but it might be fun to try it with some of my carnationy scents to give them an extra bump.

So far (this is a fresh-from-the-mailbox review), it only lasts a few hours. It will be interesting to see if it changes after the usual settling-in time.

Either way, I am delighted to finally have it in my grubby little mitts.

You can find me in my bathroom vanity huffing my bottle... :wub2:

This is the truest scent of carnation that I have ever had the pleasure of sniffing. It smells just like the flower. :eek: The problem is that as I suspected,it messes with my sinuses and makes me sneeze. I adore this scent. I will cherish my decant, but alas I won't need anymore. :D

Edited by Dark Alice

SINGLE NOTE SPANISH RED CARNATION

I've had this for a week now but delayed reviewing for reasons that will become apparent. This is the most challenging BPAL scent I have encountered, and my usual review format won't do.

Opening the bottle the first time I smelled spicy carnation plus something wet or juicy. The odor was weak but of course there was not much surface area exposed yet so I wasn't concerned. Notecard and pen at the ready, I applied some to both wrists, observng that the oil was very thin.

On my skin, there was a bit of the flower but it was immediately overtaken by a green, wet, and slightly sour smell, like all the discarded stems and leaves got in the vat. I hardly had time to be surprised by that when the scent faded in the space of a minute. I literally didn't have time time to write fast enough to keep up with the changes. Two minutes after contact it had sunk into my skin without a visible trace. With my nose on my wrist I picked up a faint, mild, slightly soapy odor. What?

That night I applied some at bedtime, this time dabbing my pajama sleeves as well as my wrists, and lo! From the humble cotton flannel there rose a joyous scent of carnation, spicy and sweet and wonderful. My skin on the other hand yielded the same green smell close up, but this time I detected random wisps of blossom around me, just a few hapless molecules fleeing the event horizon.

My dry skin is notorious for drinking BPAL so the next day first I coated my wrists with jojoba oil and then tried again. My notecard reads, "8:46p flower scent for less than a minute 8:46 faint, green 8:49 almost nothing".

Day three. I have had great success with BPAL on my hair, which boosts scents that dry down poorly on my skin (a subject for a separate post), so that was the natural next step. I put SRC on my ponytail, sniffed eagerly, and… crappity! An hour of rank greenery. My hair did emit a faint carnation blossom scent the next day, but not enough to justify the amount of oil applied.

Summary: Spanish Red Carnation Single Note is a glorious scent on my clothing and I will happily use up the bottle that way. Combined with hexnut DNA, it's pure failure.

eta: Two months after my initial review I used this advice in this thread to convert my SRC into a linen spray, and the result was a resounding success. My sheets smell of spicy, heavenly, invigorating carnation flower, and just the tiniest bit of greenery if I put my face right on the freshly spritzed fabric. I will most definitely use up this bottle.

Edited by hexnut

Carnation can be such a hit/miss for me. The SN on the other hand is the kind of carnation that works for me. It's heady, a little spicy, but in general SMELLS JUST LIKE A CARNATION FLOWER.

The real deal. No joke. You're a carnation flower.

I don't know what that means. But whatever. You smell fabulous.

Carnation is one of the few florals that I love, so I'm really happy to have a bottle of this. For me, bpal's Maiden smells like a true, fresh carnation (just like a green stemmed carnation in a florist fridge) and Hod smells like a sexy, spiced, creamy, foodie-ish carnation. Spanish Red Carnation reminds me of Hod, but this is more noticeably carnation and has more of a sharp edge of spiciness. Like a slightly less sweet and creamy and more spicy-sharp Hod.

Dry, spicy, sensual carnation <3 and this has great throw and staying power on me. :wub2:

Carnatlons have alway been my favorite flower, but the carnations that you purchase nowadays lack that beautiful spicy smell that I remember from years ago. I've planted pots of red dianthus and garnered a tiny hint of that smell, but it's faint when compared to the carnation scent I remember. I didn't discover BPAL until after the single notes had been discontinued, so I was very excited to see the return, starting with Spanish Red Carnation. I ordered two bottles immediately, just in the hopes that I would find that long-ago spicy carnationn scent. Well, I am beyond thrilled! I met the postman at my mailbox today because tracking indicated that my order was out for delivery. Opening the bottle and sniffing straight from there, I am immediately in love!! THIS is how carnations are supposed to smell. Spicy, definitely red, and I am in love. :wub2:

Applied on wrists, it is the same scent, and hasn't morphed or even faded much.

I am so glad I ordered two bottles. Now to decide if I can afford to order a couple more before they come down. I imagine this will age beautifully, and it's such a work-safe scent that I can see me going through a lot of this. I can't wait to see what future single notes will come next, and there are a few I hope will appear, but if nothing else appears that ends up being right for me, it's ok, because I am so happy to have this!

Comparison of Spanish Red Carnation and the original Carnation SN of '04

Spanish Red Carnation

In The Bottle: Heady, sweet, creamy, and just a bit spicy

On Skin: Even less spicy than in the bottle.... sweet, creamy, and VERY heady. After a few moments though, a fairly prominent green note appears (leaves, stems, etc). The longer I have this scent on, the stronger the green note gets.... that is until about 1 hour in. At that point the green note begins to disappear along with the last traces of spiciness, leaving only that very heady floral scent in their stead.

Carnation

In The Vial: Dark, very spicy, almost resinous. Wow! I'm actually surprised the two are so different.

On Skin: Still dark and spicy, but a hint of sweet heady floral develops in the background (not at all the same heady floral that Spanish Red Carnation has though.... this is much deeper and of course refrains from taking over the scent as it does in SRC). From beginning to end, I never smell even a hint of green.

Two surprisingly different scents, but which is better? I don't love either one to be honest.... if Spanish Red Carnation smelled the same on my skin as it does in the bottle, I would say that one was my favorite. But.... I detest the green note it develops and it's way too boring after the spiciness fades away. And as a foody, the original Carnation isn't sweet enough for me.....

I didn't think I was much into carnation until I got a bit of this to try. it starts out with that damp green fresh-cut feeling that others described, but then quickly dries to a lightly spicy, gently creamy rich floral. It's utterly sniffable and there is something almost foodie to it without smelling like food, if you know what I mean. I didn't think I needed this, but now it's clear that a bottle must be mine.

Oh dear sweet baby Jesus. This smells WONDERFUL.

I adore Spanish Red Carnation, the perfect spicy floral. This is the note in L'Essence de La Passion that I find so rich and gorgeous, distilled to its essence. Perfect. I may actually try some layering, for the first time evah, just to see how this smells with other things. :wub2:

Wow! Decided to skin test this today, and it is INCREDIBLE! I've always liked carnation based bpals, so I guess this was a no brainer...

This is spectacularly rich and spicy, almost incense-y in its depth, but with a nice almost-creamy-sweetness and even the barest hint of vegetal-ness (if that is a word).

I'm so kicking myself for not ordering two bottles of this! Sexy, sexy single note.

I had only come across carnation in passing with other notes (and noted it was the first floral that didn't go *Poof* powder on me), and even though I lived in Ohio where it's the state flower, had never paid attention to the smell. So I was just HOPING this would be a good investment. So all the below should be treated as an average untrained joe sniffing away :D

In Bottle: It smells like pine. :lol:

Wet on skin: Rose.

Dry on skin: Holy f'in delicious baby of vanillarosewhatisthis OH THAT'S what Carnation smells like. Duh.

It is delicious. It is natural, light, but deep and gently floral. It reminds me of Rose and Violet in the way that it doesn't powder like evil florals. It's spicey in a sort of nondescript way for me. It smells raw. Like I crushed the petals of a carnation in my hand. Red and Green all at once. Bold. Vibrant. Really, just read the lab description. I hope they add a "Sugar" SN so that I can layer it with Carnation. I think I would pass out with glee. :wub2:

Great throw- not overpowering but noticeable. Probably noticeable enough to annoy the overly-smell-sensitive co-worker. Might just wear it when I feel like being a tad bratty.

i don't have a lot of experience with real live carnations so i can't really compare this to that. BUT! the carnation single note is lovely and i'm so happy to have my little bottle.

on my skin it first smells like a fresh floral, with even a bit of wet green stems. the wet sappy greenery eventually fades and i am left with a soft, slightly creamy, lightly spiced floral scent. carnation is great because it's a floral that doesn't always feel like flowers to me. this is beautiful on its own as a single note- it has more depth and complexity than i would expect from a one-note perfume, but at the same time it does feel like a SINGLE note- all carnation, all the time. i agree with marared who said this could be gorgeous layered with patchouli, but i'd also be happy to wear it alone.

Spot. On.

This is exactly what real carnations smell like-- slightly spicy, a little creamy, and a hint of greenery. Before I met BPAL I never would have thought I'd become a carnation lover.. but it is hands down my fave floral, and one of my fave scents ever.

This doesnt have huge throw or longevity, but it's so true and beautiful. Glad I ordered 4 bottles :lol: