Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Antiqued bourbon vanilla and tobacco-tinged yellow sandalwood with copal and amber incense, frankincense, tonka absolute, and myrrh.

Swapped this one off awhile ago. It seemed like it should have been perfect but the tobacco turned it from "love it sweet foodie" to "sickly-sweet, over the top foodie" on me. I liked it, but didn't LOVE it. I'm happy it could go to someone who LOVED it because it deserved love. I ended up with Silver-Haired Bat, and she is :wub2:

Just received a partial decant of this and slathered the whole thing on in one go because HHNNNNGH. This is gorgeous. It goes on vanilla and is turning into a smooth vanilla-sandalwood blend as we speak. The sandalwood is giving it a soothing quality and keeping the vanilla from being too sweet. This might have to go on ye olde wish list -- it's sexy yet incredibly warm and comforting. So glad I got to try it!

Wanted to remember to write a review this before I passed it on. I love all of the notes here so it's no surprise this turned out to be a lovely, vanilla/tobacco heavy blend.

The mix of delicacy from the vanilla and the rich depth of tobacco make for a smooth combo, and the other notes mostly serve to give it a background of sweetened resins.

The only downside I can note is that the "bourbon" aspect of the vanilla, and perhaps the myrrh, make this a bit dry after it sits for a while.

Eventually I'm left with a concoction that's gotten just a bit too sugary and "girly" for my tastes.

It reminds me a lot of Solstice Scent's Manor, however, I find I like Manor more. It has "woody vanilla musk, vanilla accord and aloeswood" which creates a similar vanilla/resin combo.

Still sweet and rich, but it doesn't dry out or get overwhelming as Dolly Kei did on me. So, I would recommend anyone looking for a similar scent that's more readily available (or if DK was too sweet for them) to seek that out.

Edited by Balame

Copal and vanilla are the dominant notes on me initially. It's like a combination of Xuihtecuhtli and Celeste. Dolly Kei stays close to the skin and lasts for hours. Over time it becomes a soft, slightly powdery mix of resins and smoky sweetness. I really do get the vintage shop comparison above. I used to have a Gunne Sax dress that smelled much like this.

i had a tiny bit of this, but it is now going on to a better home where it will hopefully be more appreciated.

the Lab's bourbon vanilla and i don't get along, i think, because it generally smells of nothing, or nothing-adjacent, to my nose. between the tonka, frankincense and tobacco i was hoping this might be delicious on me, but it isn't. i wonder if the copal/myrrh and "yellow sandalwood" are what reminds me of the peanut-butter-rice-krispy-treats scent i get out of Misk U?

Wet: OMG this is so good. Vanilla and tobacco and sandalwood - so so pretty. Praying it doesn't morph as it dries because this is perfection!!

Dry: Didn't morph. It's so beautiful. I absolutely love it. It's in the same vein as Aradia on me, with the vanilla and tobacco and woods. I simply adore it and am so happy to have it.

I am putting up my review before I send this off to a new home.... Myrrh and I are starting to dislike each other and that is what makes this scent a boo for me. Lately, as in the past 3 yrs, Myrrh has been to strong and overwhelming in any scent I try. Yes this dries to a lovely complex scent heavy on the copal for me with the sweetness of sandalwood and amber and a mere hint of vanilla. Honestly if I didn't feel like I was choking for first half hour I would keep this because it is So. Very. Lovely. once dried.

A soft powdery floral, reminds me of Flickering Lights, Fluttering Curtains in a way with the vanilla. To me, it doesn't really smell like bourbon vanilla, just regular. Tobacco is in the background and I kind of wish it was more dominant along with the incense and sandalwood. Vanilla is by far the strongest note on me and after some time it can be hard to pick out the rest of the individual notes. Enjoying it, but doubt I'll seek a bottle.

I really don't know this screams floral to me since there aren't any in the notes, maybe it's the sandalwood giving me that vibe.

Edited by fairybites
Added more info