Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Baobhan Sith

The ghostly White Women of the Scottish highlands. They seduce unwary travelers by night with their unearthly beauty and mesmerizing dancing. They engage their victims in a wild, hypnotic dance, and once they reach exhaustion, the demonesses exsanguinate their partners with their vampiric kiss. Talk about a quick courtship. Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

This goes on and stays on as a white powdery aquatic. I don't get any of the citrus or ginger - and ginger usually comes right through on me. Instead this smells like a soft, feminine French perfume. There is virtually nothing to match it to the description! This got a lot of compliments at work and I am finding it so nice on the warm spring days that I may have to get a big bottle.

First sniff from the bottle- Freshly peeled grapefruit

After 10 minutes- Now the apple is coming through....and the ginger tea is in the background. This is a grapefruit and apple salad being served with a cup of ginger tea.

After 30 minutes- All I can think of is how fresh and clean this smells. It is not an overtly sweet fruity scent but more of a refreshing clean citrus kind of fruity. The ginger slowly works it's way out as it fades but never becomes too strong. Those of you who dislike ginger do not need to be afraid of this one. It is very subtle.

Summery- This one is a fresh out of the shower invigorating citrus blend with a twist of ginger.

In Bottle: Grapefruit and ginger.

On Skin: Beautiful. The grapefruit gives it zing, the apple blossom is floral and sweet, the white tea keeps it crisp and ginger gives it spice and warmth. I think the floral is strongest at first. Feminine and pretty. The grapefruit seems to have soaked into my skin because I don’t smell it anymore. Very light and will need to be reapplied often I think.

In the vial, it's grapefruit with a bitter edge. Whoever mentioned the grapefruit peel was dead on.

On my skin, it's that same grapefruit with a slightly bitter note. I don't get any ginger or tea or apple blossom. And then after about 10 minutes, it sinks into my skin completely. Boo. :P I love grapefruit, and I really wanted to like this one...

In the bottle - Sharp, crisp grapefruit with a bit of an edge...

Wet - Ahhh, apple blossom... Yum!

Drydown - The apple blossom has faded and sweetens the grapefruit, (it makes me the think of raw sugar on freshly peeled grapefruit) and the ginger gives it just enough spice.

It stays very close to the skin, and lasted a while on me... I went a whole shift at work without having to reapply.

I'm *so* glad I got a 5ml of this... its really very lovely :P

In the bottle: grapefruit, fresh juicy grapfruit.

Wet: Grapefruit with a kind of floral/herbal scent in the back ground. It's so light and faint under the grapefruit that I almost can't tell it's there.

Drydown: Even if this had stayed pretty much grapefruit on me I probably would have loved it, especially this time of year when it's so warm out. But the tea and giner come out pretty strongly and it's just gorgeous. The ginger is fresh ginger root, kind of sharp and biting, like in sudha segara (though these don't remind me of each other). It's pretty light on the skin and has an almosty whispy misty quality.

The grapefruit is pretty fleeting, it lasted an hour and a half two hours tops and then faded away. After that I could smell the apple blossom, but the white tea and giner really stood out the most.

I love this, I think I'll go cry. I just want to slather this all over, but I only have one measly imp! Oh well, I'm going to wear the hell out of it this summer, cry when it's gone, and hope like hell it comes back some day (and if it does I'll be ordering a bottle for sure).

First wet sniff: lilac & grapefruit

Drying: a lovely lilac-like floral (I guess that's the apple blossom, but it's a hair away from lilac for me) with a pinch of ginger and a pinch of grapefruit. Very pretty.

Later: the scent is fairly stable. The grapefruit and ginger are even fainter than before, but it all blends together nicely.

Sensitivity alert here: my skin feels warm where I tried on the oil. As I'm someone who's usually not at all bothered by even cinnamon scents, (and I'm not bothered by this, just feel the warmth), I'd think that anyone with sensitive skin ought to be careful with this one.

In the Bottle: Smells citrusy. I can smell the sharp tang of grapefruit.

On Skin: I smell the grapefruit and something slightly bitter, which is probably the ginger. After a while, there is something floral which I'm assuming is the apple blossom. This is a very refreshing, very cool scent. I think its perfect for summer.

On Drydown: It fades a bit from my skin but I can still smell the whiffs of freshness. It warms up a bit and the ginger seems to be a bit of a spicyness.

Verdict: This is lovely. I love it. Its citrusy with a teeny bit of floral and its perfect for feeling 'cool' in the summer. It feels delicate without being girly :P I can feel myself going on an acquisition binge for this. Like 'sell my soul and/or first born for a 5ml'

I'll preface this by saying that I am always on the lookout for this because it is my 14-year-old daughter's absolutely favorite perfume in the world. It is her first "signature scent" ...

I test drove it again however for my own review purposes ... luckily I am not as in love with it so we're not fighting over the imps LOL ...

I do love it in the bottle, a fresh pulpy slightly acidic grapefruit. Not at all like my beloved sweet Pink Grapefruit single note at all, but a zingy eye-opening kind of citrus.

However as it dries down, the tea (always a bad note for me) and the apple blossom rise and make it slightly soapy and sweet on me. Not the way lily does, but more like a high-priced fancy soap ...

I'm not sure if my daughter slathers it or not, but I always notice it on her when she walks by and it's kind of sweet and lotiony, more apple blossom than grapefruit.

On a scale of 1-5, I give it a 3 and she gives it, of course, a 5.

Bottle (Imp): CITRUS!

Just On: Lemon rind.

An hour or two later: Lemon, with rind, fading quickly.

Around 6 hours: Barely there lemon.

12 hours: It's a goner.

Overall: I found this to be a lovely lemony scent.

After reading other reviews: That's odd. I didn't get grapefruit, but lemon from this. Still citrus, but just odd, because I adore grapefruits and eat them a lot.

I have worn this a couple of times now, and cannot decide exactly how I feel about it...it is very floral on me - the apple blossom and the grapefruit re the dominant notes, the tea and the ginger are very soft. I like it, I think, but it is more perfumey than what I normally wear. It is quite elusive for me...like, but not love.

Edited by emzebel

in the bottle: this is gorgeous. There's a waft of the grapefruit, with a slight spiciness underneath of it.

wet on skin: Sunday mornings at my grandmother's house when I was very small. We'd eat grapefruit halves with sugar sprinkled on top and drink strong black tea. That's what this is.

dry: I didn't get much of an apple blossom scent out of this, it was predominatly the citrus, tea and ginger. Such a shame that it's discontinued, because I'd buy it by the bucketload.

Baobhan Sith- *frimp* compliments of the Lab... :D

Wasn't expecting too much from this..so my expectations were pretty low. Only thing that was exciting me was the ginger..and that's about it.

Initial whiff from imp: Grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit...most refreshing!!!

Applied wet on skin: Grapefruit..with a soft ginger kick.Not so much on the tea and/or apple blossom notes..just all citrus and ginger.

Couple of minutes on skin: Okay..heeeere we are with the floral..ie apple blossom...grapefruit/ginger has exited the building...and it's ALL apple blossom on me..which by the way..is freaking STUNNING.

Dry on skin:Yes..this is a stunning white floral. What the HECKam I supposed to do now??? I only have one imp of this stuff... :P :D

Throw is good on me...so is the staying power...about 5 hours or so...

Yes...I wore this once before...so this is my 2nd time around wearing it.

Bottom Line:I am SO kicking myself for not giving this a chance when it was available. I am not a floral person per se, but the apple blossom is dynamite in this fragrance. I see this definitely as a late spring early summer scent..really beautiful..and definitely a work acceptable fragrance. Darn for not snagging some sooner!!!

This is by far one of my favorite scents so far. It smells so much like grapefruit and I can smell a bit of the apple blossoms. So crisp and slightly citrus. I'm sad this is discontinued and hope that it gets rereleased soon because it smells so wonderful!!

My Impression:

This lovely grapefruit dries into the sweetest floral. The apple blossom & tea notes make this into a lovely white floral. It is soft and sensual at the same time. I only wish it were not a discontinued scent. Truely lovely. :P

I am not a big fan of grapefruit, but I love white tea, apple blossom and ginger, so when the opportunity presented itself, I thought I would give this a try.

Wet - The grapefruit is the most prominent note, but it's not overwhelming.

Dry - as this dries the grapefruit softens up a bit, blends with the tea. This is a very light, pretty blend. A tad too light for me perhaps, but it is very nice, and were it not discontinued I would consider getting a bottle eventually. As it is I will definitely use the imp.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4

Edited by wickedgoddess

I received this in a swap, and I am thrilled.

This is a fantastic grapefruit scent - a very fresh and tangy citrus. The tea in the background gives it some depth, and while ginger seems to be hit or miss on me, it works well in Baobhan Sith. This is light but long lasting, and felt very energising.

I'm sorry that it got discontinued, since it is really marvelous, particularly if one wants a citrus that isn't sweet or foody.

Bottle: Very citrusy, this definitely has the right bitterness for a pithy grapefruit.

Wet: Bitter grapefruit pith, along with the tart fruit, but with a sweet blossom in the background. The blossom is also undeniably powdery on me. The whole scent is so far very clean and fresh.

Drying: I am getting a lot more powder flower than I am citrus now. The citrus is still there, but not like I expected it to be--this is powdery blossom with just a hint of citrus. It's still incredibly light and clean, though. Fresh, I'd say.

Later, the powder settles down. It isn't overpowering anymore, and the grapefruit is still there. Still later (2.5 hr), its even more timid, and I can begin to smell the ginger, but it’s the fruity type of ginger rather than a spicy one, if you know what I mean.

Overall: A light, clean, non-foody citrus/ginger at the end. I think the light clean scent is a good bit of white tea, and a hint of the slightly (but not badly so) powdery blossoms. This is very pretty. I just don't think it’s a "me" smell. I would never reach for it given all the other amazing choices currently in my imp box. . Too light. Too powdery (at least, to start). To the swaps.

I'm actually glad I didn't love this, since its discontinued. But I'm glad I got to try it--it was a very generous frimp in one of my forum orders--Thank you!

Oh, yes, this had great staying power. I could still faintly smell it after 7 hours, which on my thirsty skin is very impressive.

BPALBaobhanSith2.jpg

In the bottle

Oh my. This is the best thing in the world. I had no idea. Good thing I listened to those people like Jazzie Cazzie about things like this.

On

It's this incredible grapefruit smell, and this incredible edible ginger smell. And the Apple blossom is holding everything up in the background, and the bright but aicidic quality of the white tea.

Basically, with few exceptions, BPAL's best single notes are in this blend.

30 minutes

Now it's just more beautiful (if that were possible) as the apple blossom's soft powdery loveliness is at the fore front, and the scent of grapefruit peel and yummy ginger is wafting in the background.

Throw:

Incredibley refreshing and zingy yet soft and lovely grapefruit throw.

Scent category:

Fruity/Foody/Floral

Summary

If you like BPAL's SN Pink Grapefruit or even grapefruit period, get this.

If you like ginger that is somewhere between the foodiness of Gingerbread Poppet and the peppery bite of real fresh ginger...get this.

If you like a wee bit of soft femininity floating in the background, get this. I like Baobhan Sith more than the BPAL SN grapefruit alone or even Gingerbread Poppet and/or Chesire Cat for that matter. All perfect blends, but this one is really inspired.

Purchase again?

Yes. Absolutely, a 10ml if it were at all possible.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

I think that I'm pretty lucky in the fact that I haven't fallen desperately in love with too many BPAL blends that I can't get more of. Grapefruit is always sort of harsh and dirty smelling on me, so I'll probably end up swapping my decant of this one.

First on this is sharp bitter grapefruit rind. It smells a bit off on me, as always. There is a spicy peppery ginger smell sprinkled over the grapefruit. After about a half hour this has dried down into a powdery white floral smell. It is faint enough that it is not giving me a headache, but I'm definitely not in love with the smell.

I am sort of relieved that I don't really like this. Now I won't have to go through the torture of trying to find some more, lol.

In the imp: Apple blossom.

On, wet: Apple blossom, with a citrus undertone.

Later: Mostly the same as it is wet, but with a little extra bit of kick to it. Is it the ginger? Probably, but it's not strong enough for me to say so for sure. No tea, oddly enough. Damn, I love it. *pout* This, Cheshire Cat, Phobos... all the good citrus scents, bye bye, no more. ;_;

Bottle

Fragile. This is very exciting as I love the scent of grapefruit and white tea and they are both dancing upwards from the imp.

Wet

Whoa. Delicate tea, fresh grapefruit, the soft blossom, and ginger garnish. What a terrific blend. The only concern I have is that it might not be lasting.

Dry

On the dry down it is getting a bit, disappointly, soapy. Yeah, bland itch your nose soap.

And then, poof, it was gone! Weird.

In the vial, this is nummy and grapefruity, with a touch of tea in the background.

As usual, my skin takes and amps the tea to ridiculous proportions. With the white tea, however, that's not a totally terrible thing. White tea smells and tastes like hay to me. But I like the smell of hay. Overall, however, I think I'll send this off to the swaps. Someone else would love to have this.

Baobhan Sith

In the imp: sharp, citrussy tea. No doubt that's the grapefruit here, maybe the ginger as well.

Wet on skin: whoa, this is a sharp, sharp scent. Very tangy indeed!

Dry on skin: interesting. This is a very tangy and zingy citrus tea scent, reminiscent of a green tea and grapefruit drink I tried once. I think I also get a hint of warm ginger underneath it all. I also get a light floral sweetness-the apple blossom? I'm not familiar with that note but I'm guessing that's what this is. This is a bright citrus-tea scent, very fresh and tart. Would be nice for spring and summer.

After a while: still tangy grapefruit tea, but now I also get something dusty and grey. I have no idea what that is but I'm getting a hint of something wispy and ghostly behind the tart scent which seems to fit the scent's description, but even that doesn't damage the initial freshness of the scent. At this point, it reminds me of Spirits of the Dead, which I love.

Verdict: I finally get to try the Sith, another well loved discontinued scent…this is another one of those zingy pale tea scents, and the tangiest, sharpest of the tea scents I've tried. Thanks to the grapefruit and ginger, this tea scent has quite a lot of bite! It's very tart and quite astringent, very tangy indeed. It's bright, fresh, and good for spring or summer. The drydown is a lot calmer-the tea note remains along with something dusty and ghostly which may or may not be apple blossom. It's a nice scent, but to me, it resembles Spirits of the Dead, which I already have, and I much prefer SotD to this because it's not as sharp. I'm glad I tried yet another legendary discontinued scent but I'm not going to pine for it.