Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Baobhan Sith

The ghostly White Women of the Scottish highlands. They seduce unwary travelers by night with their unearthly beauty and mesmerizing dancing. They engage their victims in a wild, hypnotic dance, and once they reach exhaustion, the demonesses exsanguinate their partners with their vampiric kiss. Talk about a quick courtship. Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

Mmm, sweet flowery grapefruit! This is a great grapefruit note too, very tart, very nice. A really fresh and clean scent. I get whiffs of the other notes every time I sniff, the apple blossom and the white tea mainly...just tiny whiffs, but all the scents go really well together and make this light, airy, flowery backdrop for the grapefruit. Beautiful. There is no note in this scent that I dislike, it’s all just very well-blended and pretty.

In the bottle and freshly applied it smells like grapefruit pith (the bitter white part of the peel). The bitterness is not off-putting, though. It's clean and refreshing - got a nice bite. In fact, it's doing wonders clearing away a scent that didn't agree with me that for some reason got stuck in my sinuses. So far so good. :)

In the bottle: definitely heavy on the grapefruit, like someone sprinkled a generous amount of sugar on the rind and then stuck it in the oven for a bit. I might catch the white tea and ginger, but really this smells like all grapefruit to me. it's sweet, but not in a fake-sugar way. nice and warm.

On my skin: definitely nothing but grapefruit on me when it starts off, and it's the bitter bite of the rind. gradually dips into more sugar, and changes to add a bit of the apple blossom. if white tea and ginger make an appearance at all, it's definitely on the dry-down.

Last thoughts: smells like a delicious treat for warm weather. just not quite my thing - I'm not enough of a grapefruit girl to wear this more than once.

Very clean and fruity. I initially thought it was oranges, but turns out it's grapefruit - I usually hate grapefruit, but here it works somehow. And I am most definitely not complaining. On me it smells like sugary grapefruit with a tiny bite of apple and tea. I would love a bottle, but it just doesn't stick around on my skin. :(

Edited by rhetoricians

White grapefruit and white tea. The apple blossom is making this soapy. Ugh, florals just ruin things most of the time. :(

Still looking for that holy-grail grapefruit scent...

First on, wet: grapefruit with just a hint of tea - fresh grapefruit, yum!

Near drydown: overwhelming bathroom cleaner with just a hint of grapefruit - WTF is causing this?

Far drydown: faint sweet grapefruit.

The middle part rules out more for me.

Wet: a very juicy, yummy grapefruit! As it dries down: something weirdly plasticky starts to come out, possibly the ginger note, which doesn't seem to work well on my skin. On me, the final drydown is disappointingly acrid, sour, and chemical--the initial complexity of the grapefruit vanishes in favor of some kind of generic citrus cleaning product. On the plus side (?) the grapefruit note is VERY long-lasting, much more than any other citrus-based perfume I've tried. This meant I had to go wash it off eventually, but if it works well on you, it seems like it would have great staying power.

This is definitely a white scent.

The grapefruit and white tea jump out immediately upon application. It's tart and sweet, and reminiscent of pink lemonade with a hint of tea. Lovely. As it dries down, the ginger becomes more prominent and sort of ruins this for me. That crystalline white tea/grapefruit combination is still there, but it smells like it's been dirtied a little by the ginger. And now I'm getting the cleaning product scent others are getting. I'm not sure if it's the combination or what, but this is a little sad. I really liked the beginning of this scent on my skin. :(

In the imp: Grapefruit and lots of it!

Wet: Mostly grapefruit, but I'm starting to get a wee bit of the apple blossom.

Dry: Grapefruit & apple blossom for a while (pretty, but it's a generically citrus-y bodywash smell to me). I don't smell the white tea or ginger. Hours later kinda "ick" -- something went sour on me.

I'm a sucker for tea and grapefruit, so I knew I had to try this. So it went on my wishlist, and, joy, I was kindly frimped a bit of it (unknown age).

Wet, it's grapefruit and something pleasantly apple-y. Light, but so nice. It dries to a light, faintly powdery ginger, but not the throat-seizingly dry kind. This is a serene, cheerful and pleasant scent, so appropriate for work or really, almost any situation. I like this, and would be happy to get more imps or a bottle someday. I will leave it on my wishlist. (thanks, kind frimper!)

in the imp: white tea and a hint of ginger with some flower

wet: oh man, everything jumps out at me - I get the white tea and ginger and the grapefruit, and I can smell the apple blossom..

drydown: same.. this one stays same throughout, a very pretty citrus floral. It's beautiful.

This is one of my favorite scents that I always keep forgetting about, but every time I wear it, man, it hits me all over again how gorgeous this one is.

In the Imp (ITI): White tea, grapefruit, and the slightest hint of sweetness from the apple blossom. While I like the scent, I start to feel pressure in the front part of my head while sniffing it. Sadly, I think this scent still may not agree with me.

Wet: The grapefruit now is tinged with spiciness from the ginger, but to the point of overwhelming me. It’s such a pretty scent, but I’ve concluded that ginger and I are not friends.

Dry: As it dries, I want to sneeze every time my wrist gets close to me. Very strong ginger and grapefruit, but it really doesn’t work for me.

In the bottle I definitely smell grapefruit. It's mostly bitter, but with a hint of sweetness.

Once on it's pretty light and smells a bit like handsoap. But that soon goes away and its all tart grapefruit and that slight sweetness I can't exactly place (the apple blossom?). Not getting much of the ginger, which is a shame because I completely love ginger, but it's not bad without it. It has just enough to give this a bite.

Overall I found Baobhan Sith to be a light, fresh scent. I'm not completely certain how I feel about it, though a friend of mine really loved it.

I would probably like it better if it stuck around longer. Definitely plan on trying it again though. I have a feeling this one is going to really grow on me.

EDIT: It's been a good long while since my first review of this and I just had to come back and change it. I am totally in love with Baobhan Sith! I have to restrain myself from picking it up most days in order to save whats left of my precious imp. It still is a fast fader, which is what has kept me from buying a bottle so far, but I may have to cave and get a bottle anyway. And perhaps a scent locket so the wonderful grapefruit scent will stay around longer.

Edited by captnklaus

Imp: I don't know why, but it smelled like very sharp, wet, just cut cedar.

Wet: pepper, I think that must be the ginger, but anything else with finger never smelled like pepper.

Drydown: pepper, grapefruit, and apple blossom.

dry: pepper, grapefruit, apple blossom, and faint very faint tea.

Overall: this would have been very pretty, and I would have liked ot if it didn't have the pepper smell on me. It's a clean scent, but I can't get over the pepper. It fades very fast on me too, off to swaps.

BAOBHAN SITH

In Vitro Sweet and light. Citrus plus... something.

Wet Grapefruit, yeah! More of a perfumey grapefruit than a foody grapefruit. I also detected some tea.

Drying The scent sharpened a bit and blended, becoming even better. I was sorely tempted to ignore my test protocol and slather on more right away.

Ten minutes after application the grapefruit was decidedly peel, not flesh. After half an hour the entire scent was fading and it was gone entirely within two hours, but of course I had applied just a little bit for the test.

Oh, I love this! Not-too-sweet grapefruit, with enough "extra" to round out the scent. Sure it fades fast on me but that's just an excuse to carry a vial around to refresh with. This is my first official candidate for the bottle wish list.

I'm feeling pretty low-energy this morning, and am hoping for a citrus-ginger pick-me-up!

Imp: Sweet grapefruit and ginger and lovely, light, fruity apple blossom. Smells like a really expensive, lovely shampoo-- but that's definitely not an insult in this case!

Wet: Oh, delicious. Sweet but tart grapefruit and that clean white tea smell and fruity apple blossom and just a hint of ginger. This is springy and pale but sturdy at the same time.

Dry: This settles into a slightly bitter grapefruit and tea scent with just a hint of blossom and ginger. It's lovely and prickly and clean, but I'll have to see how much I reach for it.

I put off trying this for a few months because I get a big wave of grapefruit with a bite of ginger from the vial. If I smell very, very carefully I can catch some apple blossom. This is... fine, I guess, but not my favorite combo. But just because BPAL loves to prove you wrong, this was a surprise hit! As soon as it touched my skin, the apple blossom burst to front, smelling gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger slid to the back and finally made a little room for tea. A keeper after all!

This perfume is amazing! The grapefruit has a nice freshness to it and the apple blossom lends a wonderful sweetness that's tempered well with the white tea. I don't really pick up any ginger, which is fine by me because that's a hit or miss note for me. I don't feel like this has particularly good throw and fades fast, but it's so lovely I think that makes it bottle-worthy.

This is gorgeous, dry white tea and a sugary grapefruit. Underneath there's a fizzy ginger ale note making everything feel bubbly and happy. I can apreciate this scent but it's just not for me. Anything with too much citrus ends up smelling like bathroom spray on my skin. Really lovely though, just a skin chemistry issue.

On it's own, it smells crisp and fresh. I love the grapefruit and sweetness.

On the skin it blooms into a sweet, citrusy, crisp blend. There's a bit of warmth there, but not too much. The throw is slight and the overall scent becomes a light blend of crisp citrus.

Pleasant. I would compare the feel of this blend to a light-temperatured Szpasszony.

As a frimp...

Wet: You can definitely smell the grapefruit as the dominant note. A clean, crisp, citrusy scent. Sweet.

Dry: Still smells like grapefruit, just growing more rindey,. Smelling the ginger become more pronounced than at first.

Overall: It is a nice scent. Not disagreeable at all on me or if I smelled it. I just don't like citrus scents on me as a personal preference although I do like to eat/drink it. It almost reminds me of fabric softner because of its fresh scent.

In the Bottle: Look out for that grapefruit, Batman! Completely in your face. :ack: Already getting a soapy note. Slight ginger.

Wet and Drydown: All Grapefruit, all the time! And that's ALL I'm getting- no tea, no rose, no apple blossom. This is a completly one-dimentional scent on me. Phooey. :cry2: But if you're looking for a grapefruit scent- this is it! And it has a high throw.

2/5

Very clean smelling florals, the grapefruit was very pungent at first and died down nicely on the dry down. The ginger came out more on the dry down and then I started to not love it at first.

Wet: Juicy pink grapefruit. Incredibly authentic-smelling, like I’m holding a halved grapefruit right in front of my nose. Squirty and tingly.

Drydown: A bright, clean citrus with touches of floral greenery. It reminds me of a good lemonade - sweet but not too sweet, very fresh, and tart. There’s a bit of a soft muskiness - the apple blossom probably - but it’s still mainly fresh and vibrant grapefruit.

Dry: Soft and calming apple tea with a splash of tart grapefruit. Still fresh and clean, but it now has more of a fuzzy, lemony-apple musk vibe.

7 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24
(updated to include more recent impressions)

Nothing but grapefruit on my skin, but at least it never went sour as 99.9% of citrus blends tend to go on my skin.