Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Baobhan Sith

The ghostly White Women of the Scottish highlands. They seduce unwary travelers by night with their unearthly beauty and mesmerizing dancing. They engage their victims in a wild, hypnotic dance, and once they reach exhaustion, the demonesses exsanguinate their partners with their vampiric kiss. Talk about a quick courtship. Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

I initially received this as a free imp from the lab during one of the West Coast will calls. After smelling it, I had to order a bottle.

Wet, it has a wonderfully tangy grapefruit scent. I can't really smell the tea or ginger, although I suspect one or both lend the citrus some of its bite. It dries down to a lovely crisp citrus and then the apple blossoms come out, turning it into a sweet but clean fragrance. I have no idea why but I find it very comforting, especially when it hits the apple blossom part. At the same time, the scent strikes me as sophisticated and cool. I would feel very comfortable wearing this in an office or any conservative environment.

This and Kumiho have become my holy grail scents. Thank you to the lab staff for tossing this into my bag! I wouldn't have tried it otherwise.

Edited to add description Edited by Shollin

In the Imp: grapefruit (like the scent of the spray as you peel it or freshly cut into it)

Wet on Skin: grapefruit, ginger?

While Drying: slight sweetness - the apple blossom?, nice delicate scent; wrists get more of the apple blossom, elbows get more of the grapefruit; slight spicy kick (ginger?); when applied over unscented lotion, I lose the apple blossom but get more tea

After a Little While: decent throw, but subtle - not an in your face scent; the tea is starting to show up on the wrists; sweet (in the emotional sense); cheerful

Later: citrus goes away and this morphs into subtle soft scent; fades VERY quickly

Final Thoughts: This is a beautiful scent. This is what I keep wanting florals to be on me - delicate and sweet without being soapy or cloying; full of WIN; The Boy likes it a lot; I am very glad this one was resurrected. I just wish the scent would stick around longer.

Baobhan Sith earns a 4.5/5 scent-wise, but 4/5 overall because of the quick fade.

I really, really like this one, enough to perhaps get a bottle. It initially reminds me a lot of Kumiho, but Kumiho fades on me very, very quickly. This one lasts. It goes on almost a little too astringent - I'm assuming that's the grapefruit - but then becomes citrusy and sweet. I might need to try more things with apple blossom!

Very nice for the springtime or summer...or for imagining warmer weather in winter.

I have a really hard time picking out individual notes in this one, but I love it.

In the imp and wet it's like citrus hard candy, tangy and syrupy, but somehow not in a foody way.

As it dries the grapefruit fades (citrus...sigh), but what's left is sweet and unusual and very playful. This is a great scent for me at work when my brain just checks out--every time I'd turn I'd get a tiny whiff of a different note...here the appleblossom, there the grapefruit, like it's checking to see if I'm still paying attention.

This lasts fairly well on me (5-6 hours) but there's minimal throw so it's a rather private sort of scent. Definitely one of my favorites so far and likely a future bottle. :D

This is lovely. Crisp and fresh. It'd be excellent for a hot summer day, and isn't too unusual or strong to wear to work.

Imp: Mmm, white tea and grapefruit

Wet: Same.

Dry: Tea fades and grapefruit takes over.

Fades and is completely gone within 2 hours or so. Low throw, which is nice for this type of scent.

I really, really like it but there are similar tea blends that I want to try to see if they last longer. I'd like a bottle in this general family of scents, but I'd like a bit more lasting power.

Definitely keeping my imp and will save it for the blazing hot summer we're bound to get.

In the bottle: Citrus and flowers

Wet: A strong citrus scent

Dry: As the oil dries, the tea steps out and mingles with the citrus. After a couple of hours, the citrus continues to dominate but the tea is detectable and the ginger gives the blend an edge. This is a bright, sharp citrus with low throw. It is a fun blend alone, and could be used to 'liven' up a darker scent or to balance a strong floral.

In the bottle: Grapefruit, white floral. Very cold and delicate. If it were a color, it would be pale celadon green.

On my skin: This smells very fresh, floral and soapy on me. Not my cup of tea.

Later: Very soapy.

Bottom line: Baobhan Sith and I can't hang. Bummer.

Hello grapefruit! On drydown there is a slight whiff of tea. This is a great citrus is you like citrus scents that are not too strong. I would def. wear this in the spring and summer.

This is a scent I ordered, probably for the white tea and apple scents and I wasn't disappointed. It is a very fruity scent. I'm not sure it matches the name or story. It's definitely something I want to smell like in spring/summer, when it's hot and sticky outside. For me, it's heavy grapefruit and apple. On my skin, the apple comes out even more. There's not much floral in it for me, but even though I'm a floral person, I love this.

It stays pretty strong but the scent itself is so pleasant and sweet that even if I'm slathered in this is won't be overpowering. I think this might be a bottle. I'd like to wait to try other fruity/citrus scents, but this one keeps compelling me to sniff my wrists.

In the imp: Zesty citrus.

Wet: The grapefruit is strong! A bit too strong while it's wet - and I'm also getting a harshness. I think maybe the combination of citrus notes and tea notes is responsible for this, because I found the same thing with Enbalming Fluid.

Dry: This is now almost sugary, still with some tangy grapefruit.

Verdict: It's nice enough, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Loooooads of grapefruit. A kind of green sour scent. Icky.... Not for me at all.

Wet-Fresh Grapefruit tea, lovely sharp and refreshing, the perfect summer scent.

Dry- the tea note fades quickly, leaving a very light but bright grapefruit which disappears all too quickly.

This is a great, light, go anywhere blend, the only drawback is the quick fade.

Verdict- wonderful if you don't mind frequent application. Keep imp, search out more.

Definitely begins with a major screaming fit of grapefruit. It woke me up almost as well as my cup of coffee.

It calms down quickly into a really balanced scent - I can smell all four notes distinctly. It's really clean and cheerful and bright and happy. It does fade fairly quickly - I needed to reapply after about four hours, which is really short for my skin chemistry. It's worth it though - it's a gorgeous citrus!

In the vial: grapefruit and citrus

Wet on the skin: grapefruit, not as sharp as Aizen-Myoo, the white tea comes forward a bit and the Apple Blossom sweetens the deal

Drydown: Sweet grapefruit, a hint of white tea.

Like most citrus scents it doesn't last too long, and I'm left with white tea and a smidge of ginger. I think I prefer both Aizen-Myoo, which is a stronger, sharper grapefruit, and Schroedinger's Cat which was a sweet, minty grape fruit on me.

3/5

Fruity, that's the grapefruit. A little bit floral. The citrus bite fades, but still present in the floral.

In bottle: white tea and apple blossom with a touch of ginger.

Wet: Grapefruit and ginger, with the tea starting to rear it’s head.

Dry: The tea takes dominance over the fruits and florals and gives it a sophisticated feel.

Notes: A nice scent but more “perfumey” then I was hoping for, I prefer the playfulness of Cheshire Cat’s grapefruit to the more sedate and classier version here. I think it’s the tea that makes the difference on me.

I read about this scent somewhere - probably on livejournal or something - and when I saw the word "grapefruit", decided I had to try it. It turned out I already HAD an untested imp of it in my imp box.

Initially on, it had a sharp, clean scent, and the grapefruit really stood out. It faded fairly quickly on me though, and eventually became a teensy bit soapy, but not in a bad way. The throw is not very strong, compared to a lot of BPAL scents, but I didn't really mind that. This was a great scent for a really warm spring day, and will be great for those days I don't want something that will scent up the entire room. It's going on my list of scents to get in a 5ml.

I'm getting white tea, ginger and grapefruit in the imp. On my skin, I'm getting the white tea and ginger, we'll see what this does. Eh, with the citrus, it's not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

In the bottle: I'm a bit overwhelmed by the scent. It gives me an immediate headache, but it smells strange, like green pine sol to me.

Wet: Less green pine sol, but it still is smelling slightly green, bitter, and spicy. I'm not getting any distinguishable scents.

Drying: Grapefruit peel and ginger. I'm not getting much apple blossom

Dry: I finally smell the apple blossom and white tea with a little spicy ginger. Unfortunately, this combination gives me a headache, so I don't think it is for me.

In the imp: grapefruit like whoa. I get some apple blossom too, more fruity than floral.

Wet: mega-grapefruit.

Drydown: The grapefruit fades quickly, as citrus is often wont to do. I get predominantly white tea from this, with a bit of apple blossom, though this time very floral rather than fruity. Unfortunately, the whole thing just kind of smells like soap on me. Nice soap, but soap nonetheless. Also, as others have said, the scent doesn't last long.

Verdict: I don't think it's for me. I'll give it another shot because I feel like it's something I should like, but it's probably off to the swaps.

I kept on forgetting to get an imp of this with my lab orders, so it turned into one of those that I covet for ages, but turn out a bit meh when I actually get ahold of some (many thanks to girasol for the frimp!). This is consistently citrus, grapefruit peel mostly, which is really nice, but something I would've liked more when first getting into BPAL. The ginger comes out after a while, by which time the scent has all but gone.

:huh?: Grapefruit and dryer sheets, very fresh and clean smell. I thought BPAL tea was made of win on me, but trying 8 tea scents in the last month has proven me wrong. :cry2:

Sweet in the imp and as soon as it hit my skin I KNEW there was a citrus fruit in there! Wasn't sure WHAT at first, since this was a frimp from the lab. I'm sure the apple blossom is the "sweet" in this blend. The white tea is definitely there but I'm not sure if I can detect the ginger at all. Definitely the weakest note on my skin, with the grapefruit and apple blossom fighting for dominance! This is very beautiful and it evokes the image of "spring" in my mind. Really glad the lab frimped me this!

In the vial: grapefruit.

On my skin wet: over powering grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Can't smell any tea yet.

On my skin dry: still amping the grapefruit but it's more mellow and the ginger is coming forward more as well as note that I think might be the tea.

About an 30 minutes later: less grapefruit and more ginger and tea.

About 45 minutes later: grapefruit seems to be gone in its place is something that smells watery for lack of a better word.

Overall impression: Nice scent but I'm never going to buy a 5 ml of it.

This was a frimp.

In the imp: Grapefruit like woah! If Pledge made a grapefruit furniture polish, this would be it.

Wet: Grapefruit like woah! And the refreshing undercurrent of tea, very like Embalming Fluid's tea note.

Dry down: I wouldn't even say apple blossom. More like some thin slices of fresh, green apple emerge, but it's not enough to kick the grapefruit to the curb. Grapefruit pulls its usual bitter morph on me, and everything goes very, very soapy. Sadly, this blend and my skin chemistry don't hit it off at all.