Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
orata

Doozers

Totally unlike the Fraggles, Doozers spend their lives working. The greatest joy in a Doozer's life is to get up, put on a hard hat and take a place on the Doozer work crew.

The scent of industrious cooperation: glittering crystals, soft soil, and radish dust.

Uh. Whoa. I hope you like radishes, because this smells very true to life--that sharp, bitter, crisp, almost burning clear taste of fresh radishes. :eek: I find it a little repellent as a perfume, although as time goes on the radish topnote wears away into a softer, sort of soapy-powdery clean smell that reminds me of Johnson and Johnson's "No More Tears" baby shampoo and is not bad at all. I would never wear this, but I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

This captures the description perfectly and was super fun to try! Green and pepper notes from the radish lay over a slightly sweet earthy base. It's easy to see the influence of each part but it blends together into a whole that is greater. Great staying power (which is a novelty for me!) and decent throw. Once it's faded a bit it's also a fun combo with Gobo!

This starts out rather nice - freshly turned soil and radishes it's like hanging out in a veggie patch. Then it turns into headache inducing floral soap. *sigh* I can't believe I didn't have any luck with any of the Fraggles I tried.

In the vial: Sand and radishes, but with something behind them that's rather like a floral.

Wet: Lots of the wet dirt note, similar to Gorg's Garden, but overlaid with something sparkly and metallic, like mica sand. There is definitely a dry impression here that goes with the dirt even though the dirt note itself smells wet to me. There's more of a pungency to this one than to Gorg's Garden, also, like the concentrated radish dust which is the raw material of a Doozer construction.

One hour: Still the glittery dry note atop the wet dirt note. There's something very thick and soft underneath, though, something creamy and perhaps floral like an orchid note. Although the pungency is still there, the soft notes are definitely winning. This is a very interesting counterpoint of soft and sparkly impressions.

Two hours: It's really bugging me that I cannot put a finger on the sweet creamy flat note that's at the bottom of this scent. It's very pretty, though. Above it are the wet dirt and the sandy note, as before; the pungent note seems to have died back into something rooty or woody. Overall the impression is softly creamy and rooty. I am fascinated by this one!

Three hours: Each of the unusual notes -- wet dirt, glittery dry sand, rooty -- is much less obvious now, leaving the underlying creamy smooth floral in charge. Is that perhaps a musky note? It is very gentle and peaceful, tending a shade toward powdery.

This one definitely has been a morpher on me. I don't usually gravitate toward the dry earthy/sandy scents, which is what I expected this one to be, but it really surprised me. I particularly like the endgame of this one.

On an initial sniff test of all my Fraggle imps, this is the one that I liked most, surprisingly. There is a sharp radish high note when it's first applied (which I actually really enjoy, odd since I detest eating radishes). It mixes wonderfully with the earth note, and beneath it all is "glittering crystals" which I think I recognize as a powder note such as is found in Diabolical Offspring (although like hlinspjalda I can't quite put my finger on it's identity). The overall effect is somewhat dry, and dusty, but also comforting. The high pitched radish note goes away completely with time and I'm left with a perfect incense-like earthy scent. Really interesting and unique.. and probably a bottle purchase for me

Edited to add: Ok. This... is weird. The scent has morphed to smell (I swear) exactly like marijuana smoke :eek: ummmmm

Edited by MCS4096

In bottle: Earthy, dusty & green. Something slightly fibrous and rooty around the edges.

Wet: Immediately after application, the dirt note becomes very clean and plush. A surprising floral note emerges - a bit waxy and sweet. Tulip maybe? Iris? Whatever it is, it is familiar but I can't say for sure.

Dry: The more it settles, the more I suspect iris/orris is the mysterious front note. There is the barest hint of dry, subterranean earthiness lingering beneath, offset by a saccharine luminescence - like powdered sugar. I think there must be amber- make that lots of amber!- in this blend as well - after a while it begins to remind me of a sweeter, cooler version of Ozymandias.

Verdict: Watching Fraggle Rock, I always wanted to pet the Doozers because they looked so velvety and plushy. Their little piles of fluffy crystal dust and sparkling towers were so pretty. This blend encapsulates their essence perfectly. It's significantly different than I expected from the notes - but in a good way! A pale, innocent green amber with a quality of earthiness that is beautifully clean.

In the bottle, this smells exactly like radishes. If you like radishes, as I do, this is a good thing.

Wet on my skin, I get far less of the radish smell, and much more of a dirt smell. That's not meant to be a criticism; it's a fresh earth smell, and kind of reminds me a little bit of Demeter Fragrance Library's Dirt cologne.

As it dries down, I'm afraid it gets a little less pleasant on me; it turns into a scent very much like the sharp smell of laundry detergent. A little of the dirt scent still lingers there, but unfortunately, I get almost none of the radish scent once this is out on my skin.

If this smelled on my skin the way it smelled in the bottle, I'd probably buy two bottles, as it's a lovely, unusual scent. But it doesn't work on my skin, I'm sorry to say. In addition, it fades very quickly on me; my skin seems to eat it and I smell almost nothing there after about 15 minutes.

Edited by holborne

In Bottle: This is a lovely, rich, loam dominant scent, with the radish giving it unexpected and delightful bite. The crystal is soft and gives the otherwise earthy scent a delicacy not normally associated with fresh turned earth. Wet: now only slightly dirt dominant, but both the radish and crystal are stronger on the skin. On me, the crystal and radish clash rather. The warmer it gets, the more ascendant the crystals are, becoming coequal with the dirt. The radish settles down, so as to play better with the crystal, but it is an uneasy truce. They give the crystal a sharp edge, sharp enough to cut. Dry: mostly dirt and radish.

smells like the Industrial Revolution of the Doozers.

Steampunk Doozers! (isn't *that* a mental image?)....

i get the "Radish Dust" because there's something ever-so-faintly similar to Gorg's Garden... but they must have different soil, Doozers & Gorgs.

and i imagine the "glittering crystals" might be broken cogs (i was gonna say broken Cogsley Cogs or Spaceley Sprockets... but, then, Sprockets was the dog, in "outer space", and... um.... i had a point....) 'cuz there's a definite tinge of Phoenix Steamworks. appropriate, perhaps, for the hard-workin' Doozers, but not a scent for me. mecry.gif

This smells like a Doozer! :wub: Crystal, dust, and radishes. Sadly, radishes overpower the lovely dirt and crystal notes. The radish actually makes me gag in the back of my throat. I am sad. As I wanted this one to work on me. :(

ETA: The final dry down is a soft crystal soily scent. This is what I want. I think I will be finding a partial afterall!!!!! :joy:

Edited by Dark Alice

In the imp, it reminds me of Planting Moon - all dirt and veggies.

Wet on my skin I got the same feeling, but with what must be the crystal musk coming out. At this stage it really makes me think of Doozers! Sweet but dirty.

Dry (about 15 minutes in) - something went floral baby powder on me. It is making my eyes sting, actually. :(

Overall, considering this was something I just wanted to try (because Beth does great imagery with her scents), and not something that I thought would work on my skin, I am happy. I will probably keep this around to huff - or put into some sort of air scenting device... but its a real "no go" on my skin.

Edited by Xanon

I had to get a decant of this, curiosity got the better of me.

But no. Yeah. Just no. radishes indeed...

This is a fun scent to experience (I looooved the Doozers as a kid, so I had to get at least a decant), but it's definitely not for everyday wear.

It actually starts out as a soft, slightly sweet dirt scent-- and I love the Lab's earth notes, so the wet stage is quite wearable. Then the radishes come out. It's really amazingly accurate-- sharp, peppery, white hot. Rooty and vegetal. I swear I can almost taste radish. It drowns out the soil scent to just a dry suggestion. It's not blindingly offensive, but it's pretty odd. If you want to smell like you rubbed unwashed radishes all over yourself, this will do exactly that. :D

In decant: dirt. Cold, glittery dirt.

Wet on skin: cold, glittery dirt--and radish, that gives this an almost fruity component. Dirt and cold glittery rocks--and it's actually "clean" smelling too. That sounds like a weird combination, but it's true. Masculine.

Dry: doesn't morph from the wet stage. The dirt has softened out and is not as "dirty" as dirt (uhhh), but still recognizable.

Verdict: I knew this was not for me, and I thought of not even skin-testing. But I'm glad I did, it was quite an interesting experience nonetheless!

In the vial: Soap.

On wet: Soap. Soapsoapsoapsoapsoapsoap. And a little bit of spicy radish dust. And just a hint of plastic diapers? :eek:

Drydown: What is that spicy, soapy radish flavor I keep feeling in my mouth? Oh, it’s a line of Doozers, marching dutifully through my nasal passages. This is… not working for me.

This had such a strait up dirt smell directly from the bottle it was a little off putting. Soon as ya put it on you can smell.....ummm soap!!!! Lots of it. It goes from dirty to clean in 2 seconds on my skin. It smells actually pretty good. I dont mind a good soapy scent! I do not smell radish, thankfully.

In the bottle, Doozers smells like black dirt and nailpolish remover.

On my skin, it's black dirt and a spicy/herbal tone that reminds me of horseradish, which I'm guessing is the radish note.

As it dries down, this smells like horseradish, white bar soap, and dust or baby powder.

So.. Doozers is pretty awful on me :sick: at least it's light and fades quickly on my skin.

Wet on my skin: Perfumey beets... :eek: Wow this is powerful and heady. Goes on as soapy beets.

On my skin dry: This is giving me a headache. Very heady spicy soap with a hint of beets, has a ton of throw on my skin.

I'm sure this will suit someone but that someone is not me. :ugh:

Hmmm, I'm smelling my arm obsessively right now! I got a sniffie of this with just enough to test once. That's fine by me as I can't quite see myself wearing a dirt scent (the one chaos theory I tried ended up being strong on the dirt note - fortunately passed on to someone who loved it). However, there's something oddly comforting about this scent. I still can't see wearing it out but maybe in a room burner or a just at home by myself rare?

The scent for me is pretty much as described and as others have mentioned: a bit of bitter radish, lots of moist freshly dug up soil, a soft floral, and minerals/crystals. It reminds me a lot of my fascination with...black opal (I think).

It seems odd to me that this scent seems to be making me so happy - maybe it's the memory of fraggles, I don't know. But I may have to track down a decant to have some on hand for a pick me up!

Radish, dust and soap. This actually smells like radish soap. If there were such a thing. Which there should be, as it would smell awesome. As a soap.

As a perfume, this is a pass.

Definitely a dirt vibe at first. Dry, still dirt with something fresh and shimmering, like crystal. It kind of reminds me of sitting by the pond with the light dancing off the water, though I wouldn't say this was an aquatic. This is one of those bpals that strengthens as it dries and the end effect is a clear, crystal blend, it *almost* smells medicinal. I would love to see this particular note in other blends, maybe it would be nice with a vanilla. As it is, the dirt note is too strong, and ultimately not wearable for me.

Ohw, I vind this horrible :(

Not as horrible like Banana Peel in a Gravetard ... But almost! ;)

That soil ... Those radishes :(

Ohw men, how can I make my brain forget about this :P

Not my style at all.

Butttt: IT is Art! Good job after all, true to description :)

For the record...I LOVE THE FRAGGLES! Always have and always will.

I’m really enjoying wearing this fragrance. I’ve been a bit weary of the labs Earth/Dirt note as Singing Moon went wonky on me and frankly, Zombi scared me. But...as it’s fraggles I couldn’t resist.

So, this starts out with that earthy, mud, soil note but it’s paired together with something sweet and something slightly flowery so it’s a more toned down version of dirt. I can smell a background of vetiver in here waiting to push forward.

Drydown, yep...there it is...this oil dries down to an extremely dry grassy vetiver with a slighty soily sweet undertones. This stage is really nice, I’m reminded of “Devil’s Claw” a little bit. Quite masculine, slightly dry, smnoky and dark. It’s very different from the opening notes.

Not a bottle purchase for me, but a good addition to your “dirt” perfumes from BPAL if you like those kinda smells.

Sad to say, this was the first BPAL scent I not only disliked but violently loathed.

In the imp it smelt sharply bitter and herbal with a hint of metal. I was a bit cautious about it, but gave it a go anyway lots of scents smell very different on.

While wet the bitter lessened a touch and was replaced with herbal and radish. But as it dried and started reacting with my skin it started to stink of radish, or rather like radish sweat oozing out of my pores from a late night radish eating frenzy.

I hung in there a little while but disliked it so strongly that in the end I washed it off rather than letting it develop. The chance that it might develop into something nice was frankly outweighed by the ordeal of having the radish hammer assaulting my nostrils. :-|

It still is lingering a bit now that I've washed it off. Even with two soap washes there's still the faintest hint of rock and soil, but that I can live with, and it's not unpleasant. Still, if the only way I can this tolerate this scent is to wash it off almost completely, I think can conclude it's not for me.