Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
orata

Mokey

Mokey is an artist, poet and philosopher. She seems to be in touch with some sort of higher Fraggle consciousness. Mokey is fascinated by the beauty and intricacy of the world around her, and is always seeking new ways to share this feeling with others.

A gentle, contemplative fragrance: lilac blossoms, violet sugar, orris root, stephanotis, and osmanthus.

I love this scent! It's a light, cleanly creamy fruity floral that might lean too soapy for some, but I find it really beautiful. Sweet, ethereal, creamy, and delicate--the odd thing is that it smells really similar to Two-Barred Flasher to me, blueberry and all. I guess it's the lilac + orris with the fruitiness coming from the slightly tart peachy note of osmanthus. So glad it's in the GC and that I wound up with a half bottle or so left over from my decant circle.

This is pretty and does have a clean, slightly soapy quality. I don't know what magic Beth has worked here but both Fraggle scents I tried really do smell like...well, Fraggles. :lol:

There's a childlike, fun quality to these scents that is delightful, but just not my style at all.

Thoughts before testing: I love lilac! Every note in this blend is a win for me, so my hopes are high!

Wet: Very powdery and only a hint of lilac. It's not unpleasant, but definitely not me.

Dry down: The lilac makes an appearance at this stage, but it's not a fresh lilac. It smells more like lilac powder. This is very pretty, but again it's not me.

Dry: Powdered lilac is all I'm getting from this. Darn.

Final thoughts: This is disappointing! If you're into powdery florals, definitely give Mokey a try.

Verdict: Off to the sales!

I tried this even though I was pretty much guaranteed not to like it based on notes. But Mokey is my favorite Fraggle, so I had to give her scent a try!

In the vial: Violet, orris, and osmanthus. Not promising for my chemistry.

Wet: The purple/blue notes are intensifying. This is not going to love me, alas.

One hour: Mostly osmanthus now, with a touch of violet sugar that smells like a violet-flavored sugar pastille. Definitely falls well outside my range.

Two hours: Much softer now, less sharp inside my brain. It's mostly a soft violet/orris with some osmanthus on top. I could see this as something people would desire, but I can't wear it.

Three hours: Pure violet now, but very soft and pretty. If it had been like this all along, I would have been able to wear it.

The violet note was never a problem as I feared it would be. Even the osmanthus, so often headache-inducing, was pretty mellow in this scent. The orris wasn't as rooty as it often goes on me. In fact, for a purple/blue/ultraviolet scent, this is definitely the prettiest and best blended I've experienced. It's just that I can't wear scents in this range, alas.

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I saw lots of florals, which are generally my thing. The only note that made me hesitate was the violet sugar as the BPAL violet note tends to turn hideous on my skin.

In the Bottle: Light, faint herbs. There's the faintest suggestion of candy, which may be the violet sugar.

Wet: A bit more floral and a bit less herby but still a very high, sharp scent at this stage.

Drydown: It warms up and the florals come out more. It's sweeter but the violet is not skanking up as it is wont to do. But something just doesn't quite balance and I don't know if I can put my finger on it.

Verdict: I'm going to play with the decant some more. It's almost but not quite there...

A very clean, light purple scent. Definitely has a soap-like quality as others have said. My skin amps orris, so I get a lot of that note in addition to the strong lilac. It's a very well blended scent, with all the notes cooperating with each other. I think I may like it more than my resident lilac blend, Penis Admiration.

Mokey is the kind of scent that makes me think I suck at reviewing scents, because I love it but I have no idea what to say about it. I don't really get soap and I don't really get a purple vibe, but I am in awe of how this can make you think that it is a really nice floral even though it isn't identifiable as a floral in any way. This is just the kind of scent that sticks close to the skin and it is just the way someone would smell rather than the way someone's *perfume* would smell. It's like coming out of the shower and having a mix of soap and shampoo and soft water and lightly-scented creams all over you, yet still being able to smell the scrubbed skin underneath. It is gorgeous and intimate.

And is it me, or does Mokey sorta look like Dorothy Zbornak around the face there? :umm:

Edited by Leopard403

i swear this is a dead ringer for a drugstore perfume from the very late 80's. i'm certain i still have a bottle, somewhere. the mental image is that of the Xia Xiang bottle, but i don't know if that's it. i get a musky-soapy-violet kind of scent.

the drydown could easily have been released as one of the Philosophy almost-perfumes.

This is the only fraggle I got a decant of, and I guessed right. I figured it would be a cute light purple scent, sweet and powdery. And it is - all the way through. A little sparkly even.... this would be great to scent a light purple gel pen with. The florals gave the scent a softness, like being in a garden or meadow, but it's not really a floral. It's a gentle purple sugar.

The lilac reminds me of Ashlultum (grindhouse lady), but that turns to grandmother on me. This - Mokey - smells like her 8 year old granddaughter.

Very sweet, purple and pretty, and mainly powdery violet on me. While for once this is a floral that doesn't make me headachy or turn to soap, it's a little too sweet and girly - I want some grit or dirt somewhere in the mix

In the vial and right on the skin this was super soapy smelling.

On the dry down more of the violet and lilac came out. It's definitely a creamy, powdery floral. Im not completely in love but dont hate it yet. I'll have to wear it a full day to really give it another go and see. It's so different than what I normally wear that it might be a good thing.

This worked the best on me out of all of the Fraggles, but I still wasn't in love with it. It really does pretty much smell exactly like it is described, gentle, maybe a little mysterious. It's gentle, sweet, ethereal flowers. The throw on this was very light.

A soapy and high-pitched floral lilac beginning. As it warms into the skin, some of the violet sugar brings it down a notch and the sweet warmth of osmanthus chimes in to temper that initial stage. Normally orris smells a bit off to me, but I'm barely registering it; I think it's tempering the lilac and bringing a roundness to this scent.

A little longer in and I can smell the stephanotis, light and non-soapy. The lilac remains, but not so crazy out there as in the wet stage. Violet is one of those notes that almost always smells like floral glue on me, but not here. Once Mokey dries, all levels of the scent are noticeable: a wafty layer of sparkling lilac, a sweeter, warmer middle composed of violet sugar and osmanthus, and the orris and stephanotis round out the bottom. On me it's subtle and faint so I would need to slather it to really notice that I'm wearing it, but my chemistry tends to eat just about everything in sight.

This scent is a lovely, understated floral, and like another reviewer mentioned, a little childlike. And it's growing on me!

P.S. verrrry spring-appropriate.

Edited by obsidienne

Lilac, violet sugar, and orris sounded like a dream blend for me, but Mokey isn't working out on my skin. I think the stephanotis and osmanthus are giving this a sharp, perfumey quality, and something in this turns weird and soapy. It winds up smelling like lilac scented laundry powder after a while, a bit too harsh and headache-y for me :(

Mokey was my favorite Fraggle as a kid, both for her awesome lilac-and-mint coloring and her far-out poetic way of speaking. This deifnitely does her justice! It's a light, clean floral that makes me think of a bunch of purple flowers mixed with violet candy, and is somehow strangely calming. Fortunately I don't amp the orris above all else in this one like I did with Black Opal. I can see how this could go soapy on some people, but fortunately it just comes off fresh on me and reminds me a bit of a now-discontinued fabric softener I used to huff like mad. I swear this is a compliment!

Oddly enough, this Fraggle smells more like dryer sheets to me than Boober does. And I think it's the osmanthus. 2 hours later though, I get more of a lilac, delicate bloom going on (hello violet!), and something kinda spicey.

Meh.

Imp from a decant circle I was part of.

First. I love this. It's warm, and sweet, and just a bit tart, and creamy. I get waves of lilac, and sharper floral, and a sweetness that I'm going to assume is the candied violets. It smells creamy too in a sort of a baby oil scent kind of way. I'm going to bet it's the orris since it reminds me of black opal in that same oily/creamy kind of way.

Yes. I love this. I'll probably end up getting a bottle.

I was hoping for fresh lilac, but this is still lovely. It reminds me a bit of the two bottle of White Moon I have stashed away. I use those as a calming/sleeping scent, and I think I have finally found a GC scent that's similar. This scent isn't powdery on me but it's definitely very soft. There is definitely something childlike about it, and I can see it having a relaxing effect on me. I don't think I'd wear it out, but I would definitely put it on in the evening after work or just before bed. Very pretty!

I can't really seem to describe the notes. I don't know if it's because they blend so well or if I'm just unfamiliar with the notes (I thought I knew several of the scents but I don't smell them!). It's a very soothing soft floral.

Mokey smelled the way I expected, floral. I don't generally like florals, and didn't expect to like Mokey either. As expected, I ended up washing her off fairly quickly. She's a Fraggle, and I had to try her, but she's just not for me.

ITI: What a pleasantly sweet floral scent. It's light and contemplative, like sitting in a bay window overlooking your garden while drinking tea and while being warmed by the afternoon sun. I get pleasantly strong orris root with lilacs, stephanotis, and violets.

Wet: The orris root and stephanotis are stronger on my skin, but I still get lilacs and violets with something that smells like white tea to me.

Dry: It now get's a bit soapy and reminds me of Dove body lotion with a little more lilac. It's not bad as it is a clean scent, but I wish it had retained some of its initial characteristics.

Tea Olives...

The elusive, mysterious scent that you catch on a sultry afternoon in the Deep South. A perfume so rich and rare it makes the heart ache and can only be taken in small doses. Thankfully, this is Nature's perfect design. The smell of tea olives in bloom can be as hard to pin down down as a ghost drifting through daylight. You know it is there. Or is it?

Years ago, I was an 18-year-old innocent in her first year at a women's college in Macon, Georgia. Sitting by the open window of the freshman dorm, I was homesick and melancholy. An intensely sweet fragrance wafted in the window, haunting in its familiarity. Why does this place smell like my Grandmother's back yard? A hard mystery to solve, because the scent wasn't constant. Now-I-smelled-it, now-I-didn't.

A summer trip to my Grandmother's house in Columbus, Georgia, revealed the answer. My Grandmother grew Tea Olives.

Oh heavenly Osmanthus, the lovely Tea Olive.

This is Mokey. The osmanthus note floats in and out, so glorious, yet so hard to catch. One of my favorite commercial perfumes is Gucci's Flora. Same osmanthus note. No wonder I love this, and will forever thank the wonderful eBayer venus_mantrap for including it as a frimp with my order. I treasure the gift.

ahh, i was hoping for this to be mostly violet sugar and stephanotis, like a very soft scent similar to the mouse's long and sad tale, but it's much stronger. at first it's all lilac. a very strong lilac. once the lilac subdues a bit, i'm getting a sweet floral with a dash of hairspray on top. is that the osmanthus? i'm not really sure, but yeah, this pretty much smells like hairspray on me. i was really hoping i could deal with the lilac in this, but either that or the osmanthus is amping a lot on me.

eta: occasionally this smells like a beautiful floral (osmanthus) i think, but then the hairspray aspect comes back.

Edited by theseagrows

This is a little girls bedroom with lilac fluffy curtains and bedspread, a white four poster bed, and a dollhouse. Basically, an innocent lilac floral, gentle, kind of fresh, like a window is open with the scent of lilacs blowing in on a lovely spring day. Nice, but not something I would wear that often.