Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
orata

Gobo

Gobo is the natural leader of the Fraggle Five. He is an explorer, spending his days charting the unexplored (and explored-but-forgotten) regions of Fraggle Rock. Gobo is following, often quite literally, in the footsteps of his Uncle Travelling Matt Fraggle, the greatest living Fraggle explorer.

Tangerine, lemon peel, sugared pink grapefruit, and vanilla cream.

Gobo is SOOOO delicious! The orange--well, tangerine--creamsicle scent I've been dreaming of. Bright, sweet citrus (I can smell all three citrus notes if I think about it) and vanilla ice cream, but a fairly restrained vanilla, not the over-the-top French vanilla of Love's Philosophy or Detestable Putrescence. I will probably buy a big bottle once my decant runs out.

Also, if you missed out on Vespertilio Proterus, I think this is a very nice substitute. No ginger, and it's slightly less sharp and fizzy, so it gives the impression of rounded corners rather than little spikes, but I think the overall vibe is very similar.

Cheerful, simple, childish, delicious.

I'm getting the same sort of 'creamsicle' smell that other folks have mentioned, but I'm also getting a soapy 'aftertaste' in the back of my throat. :cry2: I wanted to love this so much, but I just can't get past the dishsoapiness. Maybe it's something with the cream note? I've never had a problem with the citrus notes before.

(Edited for spelling.)

Edited by csabreo

Thoughts before testing: I'm really, really hoping this works for me! I love tangerines to death and I would love to have a BPAL tangerine :)

Wet: This smells exactly like Lemon Scented Sticky Bat on me :eek: Like, pure lemon sugar rush.

Dry down: Still smelling like LSSB.

Dry: No change, still nothing but pure lemon sugar.

Final thoughts: I'm disappointed in the lack of tangerine or grapefruit that I smell and since this smells exactly like Lemon Scented Sticky Bat on my skin, I won't be hanging onto Gobo. It's very pretty, and very scrumptious, just not what I was hoping for.

Verdict: Off to the sales!

I don't usually do well with vanilla cream notes, nor with some of the citrus notes. I don't expect this one to work well on me.

In the vial: Like a really high-quality creamsicle with very prominent citrus rind notes.

Wet: Powerful yet smooth citrus rind. Not sweet at all, and the cream note is reading a bit boozy on me. This smells a bit like a Tom Collins or some other gin and fruit beverage.

One hour: Much softer now, no longer like a gin drink. The citrus rind impression holds, though, only now it's more like an orange ice cream soda than anything else.

Two hours: The vanilla cream note is stronger now. The citrus notes have blurred together into a general impression of citrus rind, without the pronounced orange impression of before. It still smells rather like an ice cream soda, but now it's made with vanilla ice cream instead of orange sherbet.

Three hours: The vanilla cream is still running the show here, and the citrus rind is the backup. It definitely smells like some sort of a sweet creamy citrus beverage, as it has all along.

Most of the time I couldn't tell the various citrus components apart; to me it read mostly as an orange rather than a lemon or grapefruit rind. But it never turned on me the way lots of citrus notes do. Even the cream note stayed manageable on my skin.

I am very impressed with all the Fraggle scents, even the ones that are not right for my skin.

Holy Barbiemobile Batman! This smells like a doll's head! This smells like My Little Pony!!! I freaking love this!! It's so silly, I think I need some.

This does remind me of being a kid and opening a new doll. Yay for dollies!!!!! I still like opening new dolls, ahem...

Edited by stellamaris

I haven't done a side by side sniff test, but to me this smells a **lot** like Monster Bait Underpants. Must be the vanilla cream. It starts out lemony but ends up very Underpantsy. I predict it will be very popular for that reason. Curious to see if anyone else sees a similarity.

I really don't have anything to add that hasn't been said above, but here's my review anyway: :D

In the decant, this is pure orange creamsicle, fresh out of the freezer. Absolutely delectable.

As soon as I apply it, Gobo turns to Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat with a grapefruit edge. I don't get much vanilla at all. Throughout the drydown, it remains a near-dupe of LSSB with a slight vanilla backdrop. If you like LSSB, chances are you'll like Gobo too. It's very carefree, sweet, and bright - just like Gobo himself!

All in all, Gobo is the perfect scent for its namesake, but since it's so similar to LSSB, I won't be upgrading to a bottle. Still, I'll be keeping my decant (and the rest of the Fraggles too) just for the childhood memories. Well done, Beth. :wub:

I was hoping the citrus notes would be the most prominent on me, but this was predominantly vanilla cream. It was very sweet and creamy and dessert-y. I could smell the citrus notes in this but it really got bowled over by the sweet creaminess. I was hoping for TART smoothed out a bit by cream, so this was disappointing. If you are fond of creamy/ vanilla foodyness this would be worth a try! It smells like something I would love to eat, but it's not something I want to smell like sadly.

This starts out like a fantastic creamsicle that's not quite orange, but, very citrus-y. The cream starts to come out more, but there's a slightly soap-y scent mixing with it for about 45 min. then it goes back to cream with a slight citrus tang to it. I don't mind the soap, but I hope it ages out as the wet and last drydown are so amazing!

Yep. Creamsicles. But I love that the citrus evolves from just orange to orange-and-yellow-and-pink-and-fuzzy. Definitely a prominently warm scent; must be the vanilla.

This is a lot of fun.

This is SO tasty! :D

I love that I can smell the grapefruit (my fave citrus, which I like loads more than any other citrus) and it's perfectly sugary with only a hint of vanilla. Simple and easy to love!

reminds me a lot of a prototype someone once sent me a bit of. maybe it was XCDW5 ... or it might've been PO13. i'd have to dig them out to see for sure... but i'm pretty sure there's a prototype of this floating around, that i've been able to sniff. i hate grapefruit and i don't like lemon, but this is mostly a faintly citrus-y creamy vanilla. it ain't bad. but it's not for me, either.

This is sweet, creamy, and just down right fun. All of the fruits blend so well with the vanilla cream and sugar that it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to distinguish each fruit note from the other. It's like eating fresh fruit with cool with and a sprinkle of colored sugar on my skin. So lovely...but alas like most foodie scents if it makes me hungry I have to pass on it.

This starts out as St. Joseph's baby aspirin. Unfortunately for me, I'm about the only kid in America who hated those.

Stays creamy, citrusy, with something that comes off a touch musky, probably the tangerine and grapefruit. I wish I liked this more, but it just doesn't work on me.

I'm with Alethia on this one - dead ringer for Lemon Scented Sticky Bats. Kind of sad, I was hoping for something different.

In imp: Going to reiterate the consensus-- straight-up creamsicle. I was a little surprised by how dominant the cream note was, at first. But BPAL has a way of sneaking surprises like that on me.

On skin: Wet, still creamsicle. As it dries, though, it transforms from that tangerine-and-cream to a very gentle, quiet lemon-and-cream. Lemon is a favorite note of mine, but this is not my favorite way for it to be presented. That’s unfortunate, because this sounded fantastic to me! It’s still a very nice blend, and I will keep the decant around.

I agree with some of the previous reviewers, this smells like a creamsicle AND it smells like Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat. Gobo starts out with a tart, iced-lemon scent similar to Sticky Bat. Then I get tangerine and vanilla with the lemon. As it dries, the tangerine and iced lemon fade out, and I get pink grapefruit over vanilla. The grapefruit eventually fades as well and Gobo dries to a lovely vanilla scent.

The throw on this is light and close to the skin, and it doesn't last more than a few hours. But I really like this scent, it's innocent and sweet and summery. I think I'd like a full bottle of this eventually, once my decant runs out. :wub2:

I agree this one smells like LSSB- which didn't work on me and neither does this :(

Tangerine and vanilla cream. This is citrusy and super sweet. It's got a creamy vanilla to edge.

Like a Dreamsicle candy.

Exactly as I had hoped - creamsicles! I swear I even smell the wooden stick!

In the vial, wet and dry this is a creamy, sweet, bright, orange/grapefruit/citrusy scent. I love it and have nothing like it so its definitely going to become one of my all time faves.

On me, this is more fizz than cream - that would be the grapefruit bullying the vanilla cream into nothing :(

Overall, Gobo smells like a fruity drink - the lemon is quite bright, and the grapefruit is the most obvious note on my skin. Grapefruit is a note I usually stay away from, because it tends to go stinky/sharp on me - it's not that bad here, probably due to the 'sugared pink' aspect, but it's still definitely bitter rather than sweet on me. And lemon is another note I generally stay away from because it always amps on me. The tangerine is the note I notice least... and of course, that's the one I was hoping would be most prominent.

This actually smells like an orange/lemon version of Geek.Goth on me - it has the same fizziness (for reference, GG was awful on my skin too). And it didn't have a lot of staying power - completely gone from my skin within an hour.

It's cute, but not for me.

This starts out lovely -- definitely creamsicle, as everyone has mentioned, a smooth vanilla citrus cream. Edging on foody, but not overwhelmingly sweet, the mix of citrus is mostly lemon-grapefruit at first.

As it dries, some of the citrus starts to fade and it smells a little... odd. Not really bad, but as if one of the citrus notes doesn't love my skin chemistry and is trying to get noticed. It doesn't do this for long, but it's enough to put me off momentarily.

When it's fully dry, the vanilla cream note remaining smells really soft and delicious, but this one was a quick fader on my skin, and the citrus that really defined the scent quickly disappears. A little disappointing on my skin, but it could be amazing with the right citrus-loving skin chemistry.

I love this but wish it lasted longer on me. I saw the comparisons to LSB but found LSB to be harsher lemon and less cream when I did a side by side comparison. Gobo to me is super smooth, tangerine cream! Really yummy. :wub2:

Edited by violetblue

In decant: definitely fruity. I immediately thought of Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat mixed with other fruits: it's predominantly a foody lemony citrus blend, with very lovely vanilla cream. I expect it will turn to plastic on my skin...

Wet on skin: gosh, this is so yummy! Like lemon candy and lemon pastry rolled into one. Very lovely citruses, with the lemon topmost, and sweet yummy vanilla cream.

Dry: this softens into a slightly soapy lemon and vanilla scent on my skin. Interestingly, contrary to expectation, the cream hasn't turned plasticky on my skin, hurrah! This stays sweetly foodily yummy all throughout.

Verdict: I really like this one, but I don't wear fruity scents so this will be a pass.

Gobo starts off heavy on the 'sugared pink grapefruit,' but quickly dries down to more of a vague, sweet citrus where I can't pick out any one note. I can see the comparisons to Sticky Bat, though I don't find this to be as lemony. I guess it's mostly tangerine in the drydown, with a sugary, creamy edge.

This is a really nice scent, but it fades super fast on me (disappears entirely within a half hour) and I have vanilla/citrus scents that I like more (Lavanila's Vanilla Grapefruit is my go-to lately and is really strong on me for 6+ hours).

ETA: With some aging, this has become one of my favorite bpals. I don't know why, but it's lasting a lot longer on me now. I usually smudge some of the oil on my jacket and the ends of my hair and I can smell it for 6-8 hours pretty strongly. It's sort of like marshmallows, salted vanilla cream and tangy lemon and tangerine custard. A fun, simple scent that makes me happy when I smell it. I've stocked up on a couple bottles of this one now.

Edited by Little Bird