Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Zilla

Newbie Lunacy Full Moon BPAL FAQs

Hi everyone,

I placed 2 orders for a set of imps from BPAL a few weeks ago and I think I made a mistake.

I put among my requested scents, Strawberry Moon as I saw on the main Lab site that it's live on May 3rd. (this was shortly after)

Then I joined this forum and saw a few Wanted posts on it. Was this a Limited Edition that is no longer available? I don't mind them swapping out a random scent as I wanted to try a variety anyhow. But can someone tell me what it is about Strawberry Moon and how it works?

I also ordered Dragon Moon, will that also be swapped out?

The full moon every month brings us a new Lunacy blend. Those are available for 72 hours. Yeah, your imp requests will be substituted.

The full moon every month brings us a new Lunacy blend. Those are available for 72 hours. Yeah, your imp requests will be substituted.

Ooh thank you! Okay so any ending in Moon or Lunancy will only be available for 72 hours?

To my knowledge, yes. I don't think that 72 is "hard and fast"-if that time frame ended on a Sunday, then it gets extended to Monday, I believe. It's a good thing to be aware of, though.

1338336674[/url]' post='2159607']
1338336124[/url]' post='2159602']

Ooh thank you! Okay so any ending in Moon or Lunancy will only be available for 72 hours?

Sometimes the Lunacies are up a day or two longer. They're listed on the Limited Editions page of the Lab's website when they're available. The Limited Editions page lists the dates when each of the limited edition scents on that page will "come down". Also keep your eyes open for the announcements when the Lunacies and other limited editions are posted, or "go up". The announcements appear here on the Forum, on the Lab's Facebook page, and in your e-mail if you've signed up to get e-mails from the Lab.

Also, the Lunacies are always 5ml bottles so you can't order imps of them from the Lab. Looking at the list on the left side of the Lab's Website only the things in the categories from Alchemists Local 93 to Wanderlust are available as individual imps. The other scents are "un-impable" but people do decant them & you may be able to find what you're looking for on the Sales & Swap pages later on.

Often times, at the top of the category's page, it will say something like "limited edition/carnival diabolique/whatever scents cannot be produced as imps. If you request one, another scent will be substituted in its place." If it doesn't say that, then you should be good to go. I think that the FAQ page lists the categories that you can order a scent in imp-form from, as well.

Yup, mostly everything that is not limited edition or co-branded are fine to go as imps. For co-branded ones, sometimes imp sets are available, i.e. for The Last Unicorn, The Salon, and I think Panacea as well? And they can't be broken up.

I got an email from customer service and they are super nice! My order will be shipped soon but wanted to say that it's refreshing to have such professional and courteous people behind the BPAL name.

I got an email from customer service and they are super nice! My order will be shipped soon but wanted to say that it's refreshing to have such professional and courteous people behind the BPAL name.

I'm glad they were able to fix the error for you. The Lab has pretty superb staff, they're wonderful to work with in any experience I've had, and have heard the same from everyone else. They do a lot of hard work, and have wonderful customer service, which is one of the MANY reasons I still love the Lab :)

I'm glad they were able to fix the error for you. The Lab has pretty superb staff, they're wonderful to work with in any experience I've had, and have heard the same from everyone else. They do a lot of hard work, and have wonderful customer service, which is one of the MANY reasons I still love the Lab :)

And especially being MY error which is what makes it even more courteous in my eyes.

I'm not sure if this should go here, but the title of the thread seems to be appropriate! I'm a newbie to BPAL and was curious about the Lunacy scents, specifically which ones were released in which years and if they changed year-to-year. I couldn't find a quick answer in the forum (although that could be the result of an epic fail from my search skills.) Anyway - I decided to do a little investigation and made a chart of the Lunacy scent by month and year. I posted it in my public Dropbox folder, if anyone wants to use it. It's current up to November 2012.

Lunacy - Month & Year

Note: I used the Lunacy section in the Reviews section of the forum for the dates. If a blend straddled two months, for instance Beaver Moon 2012 (9/27/12–10/1/12), I counted it as being in the first month. Any and all mistakes are mine! If this is helpful or at all interesting, I can keep it up. If it's redundant, I can take it down. If you notice a mistake or I put something in the wrong place, it's easy to change, just let me know.

Mods - I'm pretty new to the forum, so if this breaks a rule somehow, please just delete the post! Thanks!

Edited to Add: Updated the list for December.

Edited by Withjoy

What a great chart! I don't know if it is redundant or not, being pretty new myself. But the formatting on this make it so easy to use.

I'm so glad you are finding it helpful! I'll keep the link updated with the latest Lunacy blends.

I love putting stuff like this together, so if you think of another chart that would be helpful, I'm willing to take a stab at it.

Blessings!

Do the lunacy scents have a commonality? Like a shared note or something?

Quite a few lunacy blends have had "traditional lunar oils" or "lunar herbs" included in the notes, and if you cross-check a bunch of them you'll find certain notes make pretty frequent appearances, but as far as I know there's not any particular note or notes that appear in every lunacy blend.

But you will sometimes hear people saying that the lunacy blends never work for them, that "there's just something in them..." - which makes it sound like there actually is something they all have in common. But... I'm pretty sure there isn't... well, unless there's a secret lunacy ingredient that we don't know about :smile:

Do the lunacy scents have a commonality? Like a shared note or something?

To add to that, while all the Lunacies don't share one particular note, it often happens that Lunacies with the same theme from different years often have shared notes. For example, you'll find shared notes in most of the Blue Moon and Blood Moon blends. However, sometimes one with the same name and theme as a previous Lunacy may go for a complete turnaround too. For example, the very first Harvest Moon had more traditional fall notes like pear and spice, but his year's had dry leaves and rose.

A lot of Lunacy's have lotus and/or moonflower in them

I think this is AND why I keep buying them :P

AND why they almost all have that nightfall feeling :)

It does work or not work on most people, but yes, this could also only be the thougjt of it being in the same category or howevet you want call it ;)

A lot of Lunacy's have lotus and/or moonflower in them

I think this is AND why I keep buying them :P

AND why they almost all have that nightfall feeling :)

It does work or not work on most people, but yes, this could also only be the thougjt of it being in the same category or howevet you want call it ;)

Hey guys, resurrecting this long-dead thread to ask a question (and welcome back to the forum everyone!).

Can someone explain to me whether the Beaver Moons ('05 and '12, I believe?) are the same thing as Beaver'versary? I can't find a review thread for Beaver'versary (got a decant), but it smells like the description for Beaver Moon '05... am I just missing something? Help!!

The descriptions for all the Beaver Moon.. things:

Beaver'versary: Cheesecake and cupcakes, yo! This is Beaver Moon 2005 resurrected!

Beaver Moon 2005: Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with it’s cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!
Beaver Moon 2007: However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year’s incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry
Beaver Moon 2010: Strawberry and peach cheesecake, heavy on the sticky glaze
Beaver Moon 2011: Lavender honey cheesecake
Beaver Moon 2012: Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: gooey apple cheesecake!
Beaver Moon I 2013: Thick, creamy cheesecake with thyme, lemon zest, and sugared pear
Beaver Moon II 2013: This is the scent of thick branches of maple, quaking aspen, and willow held together by river mud, a feast of sedge and water lilies, and the first quiet breath of winter's night flowing over warm brown fur
Essentially? Beaver'versary and 05? Yes. The rest? No.