Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Coconut, Vanilla Bean and Tiare Hair Gloss

I actually had the good fortune of testing this at Seattle Will Call a number of months ago and was incredibly distraught to discover it had not yet been released. first of all, my hair is quite long- halfway down my back- and has been severely color-treated and bleached within an inch of it's life. and I'm racially mixed, so my hair texture is rough and wiry in places and uneven in density. In short: it takes a LOT to make any lasting impression for the good of my hair. but the BPTP did it! Argan oil loves my hair something fierce, and the hair gloss has it in spades. So the base was awesome- it made my hair shiny and definitely softer without making it stringy or greasy.

But of course, what has made me dream of this gloss for months on end is the scent. It was like a mix of Coconut Skin Trip body lotion and sweet, fresh gardenias. Just gorgeous and subtly floral and very, very summer-y. And the scent stayed in my hair well into the following day, driving me slowly insane with it's perfect and unattainable beauty. So, you know, my delight in seeing this gloss finally, finally get officially released was HUGE. If it didn't have such a specific shelf life, I'd be stocking up on multiple bottles of this elixir.

Yes, it's THAT good.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

OMGGGGGGGGGGG

So freaking fracking amazing! Not only does it smell duh-vine, all sweetly, toasty coconut goodness, but the formula seems to be different? Less thick, actually sprays rather than squirts.

It smells SO good. It is sweet and at times reminds me of sunblock, but in the best way that reminds you of summer fun and long days at the beach playing. Normally, I cannot stand tiare, but thought I would take a chance. It actually helps lighten this scent up a bit and keeps it from going completely foody.

So taking this to Maui next month for my wedding. Glad its a GC scent so I can relive all of these delish scent memories.

This smells like the beach! It's a mix of Gardenia and that old school hawaiian tropic suntain oil I used to use back in the day (now I'm all about sunblock SPF 50! :eek: )

anyway, the vanilla bean sort of just softens the coconut and the tiare...I don't pick it up as a sweet creamy note at all. But it's a fantastic summer scent! These glosses work awesome in my hair too - I spritz it on my hands and run my hands through my damp hair, staying a bit away from my roots, and close to my scalp. My hair dries with a wonderful scent, and it keeps my hair sleek rather than frizzing out!

I used this, and then wore Elegba as my perfume oil of choice to pair it with - it was SCRUMPTIOUS! I imagine Obatala would also be a good match!

:wub2:

This is my first hair gloss, but I have been using others prior to this. What's really odd is when I first apply this into my hair I smell like licorice? And for a few hours it wasn't terribly strong. But it eventually came out and smells beautiful! I do not get any coconut either, is it just me or do these damn things morph? I swear the next day it smelt like some carmel in my hair. Needless to say, it lasts awhile. I applied 4-5 spritz to my hair and its shoulder length so maybe I just soak it up..

I tested this at Dark Delicacies on a very rainy day in L.A back in November and fell in love with the tropical smell immediately--it's just so gorgeous and summery! Stronger on the tiare than the other notes, which adds to the warm-weather feeling. And it was incredibly long-lasting. I knew I had to get a bottle once it was available, and I finally did. I have very VERY fine hair that will not hold a style at all but this doesn't weigh my hair down. It makes it feel wonderfully soft and look very tame. This smells just as marvelous as the prototype and I know my hair will be wearing it a LOT this summer.

I have a bottle of Comptior Sud Pacifique "Aloha Tiare" perfume and this hair gloss is a dead ringer for it.

It's so tropical and coconutty, and strong! I'm going to spritz a little on my hand to mix with my Marrakech hair oil so it's not so OMG-beach-explosion. I love this, glad I got a bottle. <3

I am sorry to be the first "meh" review but I just dont really like the scent.

As hairgloss it is really nice like all the BPTP glosses I tried, but it is just a bit to much 90s suntan lotion for my liking.

I never really liked to tan and I am not a fan of artificial coconut smell. I was hoping for this to smell more like real, fresh coconut with sweet vanilla and just a hint of flower.

Maybe its just me but I just dont wanna smell like suntan lotion especially not when I use something from BPAL or BPTP

This smells like fresh coconut cream with a hint of floral and a tiny bit of anise. The anise goes away pretty fast so don't let that scare you. This is one of the heavier hair glosses out of the new round, scent wise and moisture wise. So use a light hand! I am very happy with the scent and I didn't think I'd like it since so many hair products out there have that generic coconut smell. Not so with this! It's lovely :wub2:

When I sniffed this out of the bottle, I initially caught vanilla with a touch of gardenia, and the more I smelled it, the more the gardenia came out, but in a good way. But once I put this in my hair, it starts to smell more like Bourbon Vanilla bath oil to me, that root beery vibe many people, including myself, get from it. Not a complaint, it's beautiful too, but for me, it loses its tropical touch once I apply this. I get barely any coconut out of it too. Still a keeper.

I really like this, although Snake Oil Hair Gloss is still my favorite overall. It is a somewhat toasty/caramelized coconut with some sharpish white floral from the gardenia and a rather floral/anise-y or root beer-like vanilla note. Much more of a caramelly floral scent than I had expected at first; it doesn't really remind me of sunscreen, as I don't find it as sweet and creamy/powdery as the smell of coconut sunscreen.

It seems lighter in texture than the other hair glosses I've tried--the decant I have really spritzes/mists out, while some of the others I had tried (Snake Oil, Honey, Frankincense) kind of squirted. I use probably way too much: about 4 sprays from the decant on towel-dried hair, brushed through to the ends--in contrast, though, I can only use one or two of Snake Oil before it gives me a headache.

I'm not entirely sure what it does for my hair texture-wise, to be honest, because my hair is fairly heavy and straight and well-behaved in general, but I like to think it looks a bit smoother and sleeker with some of the gloss on there.

I have gone through about half my decant already, and I've only had it for a month or so, so I expect I will probably buy some more once it runs out.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the smell of this at all. To me, it's like a fake coconut/vanilla lotion, buttery in the extreme. As normal, the gloss makes my hair silky smooth, but this decant is going to a new home.

I adore this. :wub2: Tiare is only my favorite floral on earth, and mix that with lots of creamy vanilla and a hint of coconut, and I'm in paradise. It's not a sunscreen smell to me at all, more like a vanillaed monoi scent. Whenever I wear this to work people pass me just to inhale it. Amazing. Did I mention it literally lasts from one wash to the other?

Edited by Invidiana

I absolutely love this oil! And so does my husband. Every time I use it, which is practically every day, he makes comments about how good my hair smells. We just stayed in MD for two weeks, so my daughter came for a little vacation. She asked what I used on my hair that smelled so good, so I told her to try it. She wants some now too! It's a fresh coconut smell that's perfect for any season, but also saved my hair from the sun and wind that you get from being on the boat all day. Awesome!

I like all the hair glosses I've tried so far. I mix 4-6 squirts of my decant of the day into the palm of my hand with a small amount of a cheap brand of argan oil, spread into my towel-dried hair (I have a lot of hair and it's below shoulder length) and comb through it with a wide-toothed comb. My hair is naturally curly and this makes it very easy to blow-dry straight.

As for Coconut, Vanilla Bean and Tiare gloss, I do like it, and it is extremely long-lasting and has great throw. I can really smell it on my hair all day long when I use it. But I get no coconut from this, which is somewhat disappointing. It's very strong and heavy on the tiare- not unpleasant, but I would have loved to get more of the coconut and vanilla bean. I still haven't decided if I like it enough to order a whole bottle- maybe next summer. For now, Amber Patchouli is my hands-down favorite hair gloss.

i definitely get all the tropical/sunscreen similarities, but i LOVE the coconut/vanilla combination, so i am really excited to have a nice big decant of it. :)

as for the gloss itself: my main concern was that since i have fine, greasy hair, the gloss would weigh it down or make it look greasy. it really didn't at all. i put a big squirt in the palm of each hand and worked it through my hair, starting with the ends and finally smoothing down the top. it looks great...my hair almost shimmers. (if i had more hair, i'd probably use more, but i'm sporting a chin-length bob right now.)

regarding the summery nature of the scent...it's mid-october and i decided to give this a little "oomph" by layering it with a darker, heavier scent: mme. moriarty. it. is. gorgeous. the vanillas in both scents intertwine beautifully...the coconut/tiare sit on top while the deeper aspects of ms. moriarty round things out. i highly recommend layering deeper/darker scents with this...just find something with a couple common/complementary notes and run with it! :)

This is a review of the scent only for this hair gloss.

Normally I don't wear tropical scents; either they're too foody or the florals don't work out on me. But I was curious to try this one since Puddin' said it was his favorite. I also thought that since the floral wouldn't be on my skin, it might love me better.

In the bottle: Not much of a scent at all; I had to open it up and sniff the liquid directly, whereat I got a sort of coconut-floral impression.

On my hands it was very much a light toasted coconut with a whiff of tropical floral.

On my hair it started off with a very foody toasted coconut-vanilla sort of impression, with a backup of floral. It reminded me of lightly browned macaroons with an almost caramel impression, soft but noticeable. There was moderate throw. It wasn't one of the vanillas I like, but it wasn't one of the ones I dislike either. So although the scent was bearable because it wasn't very heavy, it still wasn't really in my zone. After a few hours the coconut faded, then the vanilla, until it became a slightly tired foody gardenia. Oh, I thought, I'm not going to like this one at all.

But then the floral softened, losing the impression of damp wilted flower and becoming quite a lovely dry, soft tropical floral. I've never been able to wear a note like this before, and I really enjoyed it. It lasted for days, longer than any of the others I've tested.

I'm not sure how I'll use this one, but I don't think I'll give up my decant. I've got a real soft spot for that dry tiare note!

I hesitated for a long time about whether I wanted to try hair gloss or not. While my hair can frizz horribly with humidity, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to apply it evenly and I'd get greasy sections of hair.

Scent-wise it's lovely: the tiare keeps it from going too far in the sunscreen direction and I have a pretty and subtle sweet coconut scent for most of the day.

I do need to work on even application: the first time I was able to get it evenly through the ends of my hair (which made it super-soft!) but missed my scalp and still had flyaway hair there. The second time I managed to get a couple of good squirts up in my scalp, but they were too good and I had greasy patches that stayed no matter how much I combed and brushed.

If I can get it to distribute evenly through my hair, I will enjoy this very much.

I fiiiiiinally acquired a bottle of this luscious hair gloss! I actually joined a decant circle in order to try this, but then a swap offer came along with the chance at a full bottle, and so I couldn't pass it up. I am glad I didn't, because I'm going to need the whole bottle!

Bottle: I actually did unscrew the cap and take a big whiff. From there, the scent is very sweet with a side of gardenia, and yes, just a hint of anise! Perhaps it's just how the combination of the coconut and the tiare combine to give the impression of anise, but there you have it.

Sprayed/Wet: I practically doused one of my wigs in this scent because it was being particularly unruly! The scent blooms and is dominated by the vanilla and coconut at first. I can smell the gardenia, but it is in the background. The coconut/vanilla reminds me very strongly of Snow White, but the addition of the taire is certainly more evocative of a beach vacation than a winter retreat. This is very potent when first sprayed, and has a large throw -- my upstairs smelled pretty delicious for a good hour after application.

Dry: After a while, the only thing that lingers is the gardenia, which I really have to press my nose to my hair in order to smell. I was surprised that it would fade so much after being so strong upon application, but this may be a good choice for you if you apply HG to your hair at night and don't want a scent that might clash with your perfume the next day.

Verdict: I love it, but I didn't have much doubt that this would be the case -- it's three of my favorite notes! If you don't mind sweet scents or gardenias, I highly recommend this gloss.

I love this one, it's the perfect match for vanilla/flowery BPALs. The gloss itself is nice and light. I only have a decant of this, may have to upgrade soon.

I got a tester amount of this and I am grateful because I was able to cross it off my list in a frugal manner. I found the scent overly sweet and my nose interpreted it as "generic floral." But the gloss itself is amazing and I look forward to trying many of (maybe all :D) the other scents.

So....

This is so NOT for me! I think we can all agree that a scent can powerfully bring back memories....good, bad, happy, sad. This one instantly brought back a not too good memory!!

Sad, because the notes all sound good, and I think this would have been nice except for the fact that it brought back a memory of when I was younger, I would baby-sit for a lady that lived in a run down trailer park. She had 2 wonderful boys, but she never had food in the house and she would leave at 6pm to go out and not come back until 4am, ON a SCHOOL night for me! Anyway, she had some cheap perfume and it smelled JUST like THIS hair gloss!!

I never want to use the term "cheap" with anything that has to do with BPAL/BPTP scents, but for some reason, this is that lady's scent. Dollar store floral! It had a fizzy quality when I was applying it, but that went away fast and I got icky floral. Sorry......off to swaps/sales it goes!

Super short review.

Coconuty cream soda with a light hint of floral.

I so love this! :wub3:

On my current coconut/vanilla kick, plus my love for all things tropical, this was a no-brainer and sure to be a win. So I was kind of surprised when I didn't like it much sprayed into my hand. BUT.... on my hair, it has turned into a sweet vanilla/coconut cloud of awesome. I get barely a hint of the floral - this is wonderful!

This was the first HG I ever tried! I got a decant from a fellow forum member. It was so lovely and very strong (which I greatly appreciate). I mainly got the vanilla and coconut and this was the good strong coconut I love. Didn't get much of the tiare but that was ok. It did work well in my hair too. My hair was longer when I had this so I put it on my ends only. Never repurchased it but it was the gateway to other hair glosses!

Edited by vanilla323