Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HerbGirl

Amber & Patchouli Hair Gloss

Woo hoo! I'm first! :)

Let me preface this by saying that I have been on pins and needles waiting for this hair gloss...Amber? Patchouli? Yes please and thank you. :joy:

This works just like the other amazing hair glosses - makes my hair sleek, shiny, soft and untangled...also beautifully scented. :)

The scent? Well...it's mostly Amber with a bit of Patchouli underneath. It's the best Amber ever though! If you were worried about the Patchouli in this being too strong, don't. Now, I am a HUGE fan of Patchouli, and the stronger the better, but this is delicious. My new 2nd favorite BPTP product (first will always be a tie between Snow White Bath Oil and Autumn Grove Atmo Spray). If you are a fan of Amber GET THIS. :) 10/10

This is BEE YOU TEE FUL. :yum:

I'll echo Herb Girl: I definitely smell the patchouli (I am also a fan), but amber is the star here. What a yummy combo, and this will go nicely with most of the scents I like to wear.

Giant win. Thank God this is part of the catalogue - thank you, Puddin'!

This is just gorgeous!! The patchouli is not smacking you upside the head at all, but it's there and is smooth. Amber is definitely more prominent. I am absolutely in love <3

I have gotten quite a few compliments already!!

I agree with the other posters- I think this is poised to be my favorite of all the hair glosses in terms of scent! It goes wonderfully with Sin, and a few days ago I wore it with Hellion v. 2 and I was in a cloud of heaven all day! Even my husband likes it, and it is rare for him to comment on a scent.

This is really good, in a very groovy hippy sort of way. Love this, it is everything it's cracked up to be.

This seems to be one for the guys!

My OH has only one expression every time i let him smell a BPAL perfume : "Good!"

Its kind of annoying and not understandable for me. If its about food he can go on for hours why something is great and well balanced :huh?:

However when i let him sniff the Amber and Patchouli hairgloss he was really suprised and said it smell really really good! He liked it even so much that he was letting me try it on his thick japanese hair. The test run is still going but it might just be that I have to give him his first bottle of a BPAL/BPTP something EVER for his birthday since he really really loved it. His hair needs alot more care than mine because he is getting a straight perm every half a year and he straightens and washes his hair every day.

As for the gloss itself I found it very nicely lightweight. Its actually perfectly balanced for my hair. Somehow i expected it to be as heavy as snake oil due to the patchouli.

I smell strong patchouli but this might just be due to my decant. It works well with the amber on me and its the first time anything amber ever worked on me.

The scent is indeed very very dirty, but in a good way.

Somehow I can see this spray working well with Jareth perfume oil, since this has something dirty to it as well.

I would not get a full bottle of it, since i am a Snake Oiloholic and Hairgloss is very difficult to work with for me in general because its wearing my greasy, fine hair down so quick, no matter how little i apply. But I might just have to get a bottle for the OH :lol:

Love this scent. Dirty patchouli warmed by melty chunks of glowing amber. Very strongly scented with great lasting power. Like Morocco hair gloss, this one seems less likely to make my hair greasy even if I thought I used too much. Perfect year-round scent. It compliments pretty much any BPAL perfume oil I'd wear with it. Pairs well with the other hair glosses, too!

Edited by ModderRhu

This scent is warm amber and mild patchouli. It is sexy in a tousled kind of way. I'm wondering why the lab hasn't made a skin scent like this, although maybe there is one out there, I just don't know about it. It seems more suited to cooler weather, though. More is in order, most definitely. :wub2:

This is a review of the scent only for this hair gloss.

I love amber and patchouli, and this one had come highly recommended by friends who smelled it before me.

In the bottle: Lots of dirty patchouli.

On my hands: More amber than patchouli. It's not one of the clean clear ambers, though, not like white or red. It's not golden either, more like antiqued or smoky amber. The patchouli isn't the mentholated kind, nor the sweet rounded kind that loves me; instead it's the thick, pungent, dirty kind. This gives a gritty, defiant impression.

On my hair: At first there's less amber and more patchouli. It has more throw than some of the blends, and while it still seems dark it isn't gritty any more, just pungent. But then as it matures in the air, it changes a lot. The amber note dominates, clearer than before and practically strobing off my hair. This one appears to gain throw as it matures, unlike any of the others I've tried so far.

I am delighted that there is a "heavy" scented hair gloss to balance all the lovely lighter ones I've tried. I'd definitely wear this with some of my heavier, smokier blends, like Mircalla or Mme Moriarty or Schwarzer Mond. It might even be suited for some of the amber/musk/floral blends too.

I absolutely LOVE this hair gloss scent!! It's definitely for the patchouli lovers, although the amber sweetens the scent into a gorgeous blend. The scent is very long-lasting and compliments so many of my perfumes, especially because I love patchouli blends.

How I use it: my hair is below shoulder length with long layers, and it's not thick, but I have a lot of hair according to my hairdresser. It's also naturally wavy, but unless I put a lot of product into it to shape it, it hangs limply and does nothing. So I have to either blowdry it with a diffuser and scrunch it into long curly waves or straighten it, or use a curling iron, depending on which kind of product I use and what my "hairstyle mood" is for the day. My hair is also color-treated and quite dry, so I only shampoo every 2-3 days. Because of that, I mostly use the hair glosses on my wet hair, mix about 6 sprays into an argan oil product in my hand, and they work very well to keep my hair from frizzing while blowdrying, while scenting it with the hair gloss scent. After hair is styled, I squirt one spray into my hands to blend into the ends and especially the strands along my face so I can smell it all day. This one is my absolute favorite of the hair gloss scents and lasts until my next shampoo. :wub2:

Edited by Poenari

This is just fantastic. I've got 5 of the hair glosses now and this one, along with Snake Oil, tie in first place as favourites for me. It has a lovely balance of both patchouli and amber and as always leaves my hair heavily scented, soft and silky.

I love this when it first goes on my hair, but as the day goes on it loses a lot of its fragrance and my hair just smells musty. There nothing quite like stopping and thinking, "Why do I smell like my grandmother's basement.... Oh gods it's my hair!"

Edited by SadariEvenstar

This one didn't work for me. I suspect the amber. I agree with sadari in that the residual smell, after the patchouli wears down, is a mustiness or staleness, to my nose, anyway. I've now added amber to my official list of death notes.

Edited by Circaea

Sweet amber and dirty patchouli. It's not as sweet as Silkybat HG, and the amber component gives it a different dimension.

Pretty, amber, patchouli.

I love this. The amber gives the patchouli a dusky sweetness that isn't cloying or overwhelming...has a slight masculine vibe..not "girly" sweet at all. I've gotten a lot of compliments when people hug me and can smell it in my hair.

I have baby fine hair which gets greasy easily, but I find that I can spray this pretty liberally in my hair without it weighing it down. Which is great because I find myself slathering it because it smells THAT GOOD :wub2:

I think this would do well as a perfume oil. Beautiful stuff

I didn't think I'd like this - I rarely like patchouli on me and I got a decant of this for my partner. But this is *beautiful.* It's warm dark amber with a bit of patchouli grounding it.

It goes perfectly with Lights of Men's Lives, A Bright Flame Between Two Jacinths, and The Phoenix, Having Burst Her Shell. I think it would go well with most darker amber blends.

This is strangely addictive for something that I thought was not my thing at all. I will be getting a bottle.

I am an amber lover, and some how patchouli creeps up unexpectedly in Beth's perfume blends when I least expect them. Well, I was expecting the patchouli in this - but not THIS patchouli. It is not that dirty patchouli that some people cringe from. It's a very smooth, almost sweet (might be the amber helping that) patchouli. Not green, but a brown-ish red that compliments the amber nicely. I've been wearing it since I got it in the mail today (seriously could not wait to put it on it smelled so good!) and every time I catch a whiff of it I smile.

Now I just need a bath oil! ;p

Oh wow, I was not expecting this to be that good! It really reminds me of the patchouli from RR, only with sweet amber instead of vanilla. Lovely! I highly recommend it for anyone looking to fill the RR shaped hole in their life...

In the decant: A really wonderful golden amber accompanied by some red patchouli.

I sprayed three sprays into the length of my wet hair. I don’t always get good throw with hair gloss applied to wet hair, but this one definitely has it. I’m in a cloud of cozy, sweet, golden amber with the warmth of the patchouli underneath it. I was wary of this one for a long time because of the patchouli, but it isn’t the star of the show here. This is absolutely lovely.

The next day, I sprayed one spray of the hair gloss into my hands and ran it through the ends of my dry hair. I felt like I got more of the patchouli from it this way, which I think may be a red (or as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, a brownish-red) variety, but the amber still shines.

Verdict: I will be holding on to my mini decant of this one. Since I already have bottles of Revenant Rhythm hair gloss (for patchouli) and Implacable Beautiful Tyrant (for beautiful amber and resins), I don’t feel the need to leap for a bottle of this one just yet. But if I ever do run out of one of those and am not able to obtain more, I will consider a bottle of this one. :)

Edited by dementia_divine

My Amber & Patchouli HG was a gift from an incredibly generous forumite, and I'm not sure what the vintage is.  It is exactly as advertised, and these are both favorite notes of mine.  It's kind of a dry, warm patchouli with a golden amber, just lovely.  It's not super sweet, and maybe not work appropriate unless you already have a reputation as a bit of a hippie.  On me, the patchouli is stronger than the amber, which may be a function of age, since a lot of the earlier reviews comment on the patch taking a back seat here.  Medium throw and wear length, and it pairs beautifully with any patch or amber scent (I'm wearing it today with Hedonism Bath Oil and Miss Lupescu and I smell so good).