Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Strawberry Moon 2012

ITI: Strawberry honey, strawberry juice (the thin, sugary kind), and a little grass. It's bordering on too artificial and it's rather sugary to my nose.

Wet: Better. It smells like sliced strawberries, strawberry jam, vanilla, and just a touch of dandelion. It's still artificial, but the other notes make it less problematic for my nose.

Dry: There is more of a green earthiness to the scent from the grass and dandelion sap, although the strawberry is still too sweet and bordering on artificial, like sugared frozen strawberries from freezer bag.

Some backstory before I begin: I bought a bottle of Strawberry Moon unsniffed last year the day it went live- it just looked so appealing! When I got it I did a quick review on my tumblr but I reviewed it straight out of the mail and you know how scents can change after they settle. I also like to think my nose is better trained now. Sooo since I'm in a summertime mood today despite the snow still piled up outside, I'm gonna test this again.

In the bottle: Mmm, it's like a warm, languid summer day. The strawberries are ridiculously ripe and juicy. Actually, the image I'm getting is a warm, sunny garden littered with squashed strawberries, haha. I can almost hear the cicadas. Also, there's def something green if I concentrate. Very nice.

Wet: It's more subdued and cooler than in the bottle, but it's pretty much the same- sunshine, blue skies, and strawberries. It's amazing how good the strawberries smell. They're not that bright, cheerily artificial sort of strawberry that's present in every other strawberry-scented thing. I mean, they don't quite smell like true strawberries on my skin, there's an artificiality to them now that wasn't there in the bottle, but this is nevertheless the nicest strawberry scent I've ever smelled.

Dry-down: The other notes are emerging but they're so well-blended with the strawberry that's it hard to pick them out exactly. There's a light green quality, and a very soft floral quality, and a subtle sweetness. These qualities are making the strawberry less loud overall and they're adding wonderful complexity.

Dry: Much of the same, but cooler. It's almost like it's spring now instead of summer. Gosh, I wish I could pick this apart better- I guess my trained nose is no match for Beth's masterful blending!

So looking back, this review is fairly similar to my first one. Aging hasn't done much to this blend, it seems. Still, it's very lovely. The honey isn't too prominent or cloying, the green aspects aren't screaming at me, the strawberries seem a little bit candylike but they aren't full-on artifical strawberry candy, which is great.

Basically, I'm really glad I have my bottle. (: I'm def gonna wear this more this year when the weather warms up!

I cannot stop sniffing myself.

This is the first BPAL scent that I have applied, re-applied, and completely slathered over myself.

I really should stop, because the bottle will not last long if I keep it up.

My mouth *LITERALLY* waters when I wear this. I have never found a strawberry fragrance that has been natural smelling - they have all turned me into Strawberry Shortcake :lol:

No, this is not dessert. The green (dandelion?) in this makes it smell EXACTLY like picking strawberries in Texas in May. The warmth of the sun, the sweetness of the berries, the green of the strawberry leaves you pluck the berries from, and the bees buzzing around.

In the bottle - A rich but tart pulp of strawberries

Wet on me - Honey and the green sap off freshly broken stems with just a hint of strawberry in the background

Dry on me - A smooth herbal honey with hints of that strawberry

Overall - I'm confused I do love honey so I like the dry down, but it was quite lacking on the strawberry front

:wub2:

I love strawberries, love them to death, have since I was a little girl. Since I started buying perfumes, I have been searching for the perfect strawberry scent.

I've found it.

I've had four types of encounters with BPAL's strawberry notes. One disappears completely (Bon Vivant, Love and Loli Goth all did this), which is extremely disappointing. Another turns into cherry chapstick (Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo and White Chocolate Strawberry are both culprits here). Strawberry Moon 09 smelled like sour strawberry candy, better but still not great. The strawberry note in Mariposita, and Self Portrait with Puffy Stickers however? Is PERFECT.

This is that very strawberry, crushed and enriched with sweet honey, over a bed of very light green grass and positively drenched with sunlight. There's serious risk of me trying to eat my arm here.

Wow, I have to say... this is absolutely delicious!

This blend is very fresh-- like fresh strawberries-- but not so fresh that it becomes sharp. I find the strawberry note to be true, but "perfumey" enough not to smell exactly like I rolled in strawberries.

At first application Strawberry Moon 2012 comes out really bright and vibrant with a strong throw. I can smell the fresh wild strawberry with just a backdrop of the green "milky dandelion sap" and grasses; a soft almost musky undertone of honey is layered on the bottom.

After a while the strawberries relax a little allowing for the spiced (almost musky floral) honey to pop through a lot more and settle.

As time wears on the blend gets softer and creamier, the "green" and "fresh" sap note becoming more like milk and dried grasses. The strawberry never leaves however and sticks around. On me, I can smell a very very faint "plastic" tone to the dying strawberries, but I can look past it considering the deliciousness of the blend on a whole.

Note: after one test application I found myself having to wash my hands (for other reasons, not the perfume!)while the blend was still fairly fresh. When I used the hand soap, the scent of SM2013 stuck around even after.... but it morphed to smell exactly like strawberry scented shampoo on clean hair!!!! It was probably only thanks to the addition of soap though.

I've been dying to try this for a while, strawberry scents being my new infatuation, and the honey addition meant I absolutely had to find a bottle :) I was worried by the grasses and dandelion sap though, I don't like bitter green notes at all, and they tend to go crazy on my skin and stomp all over everything. Happily, those are far in the background, just a tiny whisper of green that keeps it really fresh and outdoorsy smelling :)

Newly applied, there's this amazing mouth-watering combination of sweetness and tart strawberries, I wholly agree with someone else's view that it smells exactly like a bowl of freshly cut strawberries, sprinkled with sugar, sweet and tart and juicy and amazing. It's a very pink scent though, rather than red, the strawberry flower and grasses make it a little green, and a little floral, so it's not all straight-up gooey red strawberries.

As it dries, it stays fairly true, and the honey comes out, which is fabulous :wub3: Even with the honey though, it's very pretty and very fresh, and I can't stop sniffing it when I wear it! :) My only complaint would be that it's not the strongest of scents, stays very close to the skin, but despite that I will definitely be keeping my bottle, this will be absolutely gorgeous in summer :wub2:

strawberry = one of the few fresh fruit notes i like to wear. honey? even better. vanilla is good. grass is good. dandelion is better!

what a beautiful fresh scent! it just begs to be worn in spring and early summer. this makes me want to lie in the sun in a grassy meadow filled with fluffy dandelions and eat a bowl of fresh-picked strawberries. note that in real life, this would be an allergy-ridden nightmare for me in more ways than one, but i am happy to have strawberry moon to indulge the fantasy.

this is a soft, cool, green, yummy sweet scent. it stays pretty close to my skin and smells absolutely wonderful.

I sometimes have a problem with BPAL's strawberry note smelling artificial and kind of like plastic, so I'm iffy on trying strawberry scents. But I was pleased to discover it behaves just fine in this one! It's a very sweet, bright red strawberry scent. Very cute. I like it.

STRAWBERRY MOON THAT SMELLS LIKE STRAWBERRIES WOO.

I mean, the others can/do sometimes. But I can barely get my hands on ones that do. They can also get too herbal or too floral. Personally, i like juicy bright fruits.

This scent is super sweet, goopy strawberries. With dusting of summer - grass and sun, somehow. Ah, so beautiful. now that spring is finally here in SD it feels super apt. Lovely spring/summer scent.