Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Inspired by Edgar Degas' L'Absinthe, and created in the vein of the Dark Delicacies / Black Phoenix lace-themed collaborations. A scent of dissipation and ennui: green cognac and icy absinthe, louched, spilling onto lace that is drooping with neglect and darkened by tobacco smoke.

The lace scents really are lovely - I have been trying several out lately and they all have qualities I like. This definitely gets better on the drydown. Each time I have tried it, I have been skeptical at first - the tobacco smoke being a bit much, but then it settles down, and I find myself wondering what is that gorgeous scent, and I realize it is this!

Wet: Wow. Less absinthe than I expected, making this actually way better than I could have thought. This is good! Tobacco, general booziness, and hints of anise. Nice!!

Dry: Lovely. Sweetness from the cognac and tobacco, hints of spicy anise. I like this way more than I expected to, and will now have to hunt down a bottle.

Wet: Yum. I get the cognac right away, which is nice because the lab's cognac scent usually dies on me. I do get something soft that might be vanilla or linen. It's sweeter than I expected, but still has that alcohol quality I expect from the lab's liquer scents.

Dry: Something in the green, sweet quality of this reminds me of Gennivre, which I was wearing today. The tobacco is just finally starting to come out as I get my nose right on top of my skin. This is just awesome.

Absinthe and Lace is a kind of nondescript Lace for me. It's definitely dark and Lace-y, but most of the notes are pretty muted.

Honestly it smells super close to the Black Lace (res) that I also had. That was sweet, dark, cologne-y, musky, and clean, but basically just kind of boring.

Absinthe and Lace is basically all that, with a subtle hint of licorice. And that note fades pretty quickly when I'm wearing it, so it really seems like a different batch variant of BL to me.

So, if you are totally in love with Black Lace, Absinthe might be a good substitute in a pinch! 😃

In the decant: Cognac and tobacco. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's tobacco and cognac, tempered by absinthe. Absinthe and my skin usually aren't friends, but if tonight it wants to take on domineering tobacco, it's welcome to try. As it dries, something powdery -- maybe the lace? -- begins to emerge as the tobacco strengthens. At this stage, I cannot detect absinthe. The absinthe does make itself known for a few minutes before the scent starts to fade into tobacco and vanilla on me. It's nice but not amazing.