Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
windbourne

Epomophorus Monstrosus

Black patchouli, tonka bean, mahogany bark, gurjum balsam, and decadent cacao absolute surrounded by two dark, feral musks and sweet sarsaparilla.

Mmm, dark chocolate cologne. Now there is a man I need in my life. This trends masculine and is very sexy. The cocoa doesn't dominate for long, but that wet phase is killer. An hour later, it's a rich blend of sweet dark patch and musk and woods with just a hint of chocolate and sarsparilla. It's down to a skin scent now, but I keep sniffing my wrist and fantasizing about meeting someone who smells like this. At a lecture, or a bookstore coffeeshop, but you know he goes hiking at night to look at the stars. So, anyway, I like.

Surprise frottle from the lab, yay!

Cherry tootsie pops was exactly what I thought when I applied it wet, but like with bitter chocolate and inside out - chocolate first, then some dark cherry candy lurking underneath. The dark chocolate and sarsaparilla work beautifully with the earthy, woody notes to smell less like candy you'd hand out at a birthday party and more like candy you'd give to the older kids chaperoning their siblings for trick-or-treat.

But after a while l just smell like a clumsy kid who spilled Sarsi (the drink) on herself... where'd my yummy dark tootsie pops go? :think:

I gotta make sure I'm constantly re-evaluating my scent note preferences to account for how the notes play off each other, because I would have been nervous about buying this one today. Balsam and dark musks would have given me pause even tho patch and cacao and sarsaparilla are all favs. I didn't hesitate when I snagged it off Etsy in 2020 and for that I am grateful!

In the bottle and freshly applied, this bat is all rich dark cacao. As it wears, the patchouli and mahogany and musk come forward to join in. I don't get a distinct sarsaparilla note, but it feels like that and the tonka are providing a bit of soft fuzz around the deep darkness of this bat. It is definitely not a sweet scent, but I find it quite comforting. 

I get the cacao, musk, patch, and a bit of sarsaparilla from this at first, but it quickly becomes more about the musk and patch, which are pretty dank. The mahogany comes out over time and adds a bit of a sharp woodiness to that dank combo. The sarsaparilla hasn't completely disappeared, but I really have to go looking for it in the background because the musk in particular is just so strong on me.

I was really hoping for more root beer-y goodness from this one! Alas. This is too dank for me.