Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
windbourne

Epomophorus Monstrosus

Black patchouli, tonka bean, mahogany bark, gurjum balsam, and decadent cacao absolute surrounded by two dark, feral musks and sweet sarsaparilla.

This one was very strange on me. Initially, cocoa and sarsaparilla oh heck yeaaah~~ (just imagine me doing a little dance of delight), and then suddenly BAM! WOOD. MUSK. TONKA. In that order. It's like one of those old West saloons -- the sheriff and his henchgoons have just slammed open the door, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is playing, and the cocoa and sarsaparilla have fled the room, headed for the back hills. There's some of that there gurjum balsam (I think it's the bartender), too, much like the one in Mage, and just as weird on me. Then the patchouli, dark and kind of smoky, stands up from his game of cards and then there is a standoff. A really weird standoff. Nothing really drops back, but nothing comes to the forefront, either. Eventually it fades out and a hint of the cocoa comes back, but only a vague hint.

I don't know. I think this might be one that grows on me, and I'm 99% sure it requires some aging for the full story to come out.

It is a very brown, weird scent. There is something about it that reminds me of one of the Sakura-con scents, too? Maybe Wrestler Onogawa? I'll have to dig those out and compare.

This scent starts almost completely as a chocolate single note. Dark chocolate, actually. And as time goes by, it keeps getting darker and darker. Not really bitter.. but smokey. It doesnt seem like a patch/y smoke.. more so a woody one. I guess thats the bark, lol. Unfortunately for me, I dont get any sarsaparilla :(

Completely dry on me, this is mainly bark, then musk (not clean at all), pretty far behind is tonka, and then way waaaay back in the back are glimmers of cocoa and patch.

:evil: I want Sarsaparilla and patchouli! Lol, so I was a bit disappointed. But if you like a more woody dark fragrance with very subtle sweetness, this no doubt would be a winner for you.

Of all the bats this year, this is the one that I was coveting the most, and also dreading the most, based on the mix of notes. So...I don't really know what's going to happen here, but I know that so far not a single Bat has been what I thought it was going to be. Therefore, there is only one thing to do with this Wild Card- play it!

In The Bottle: the cacao is definitely front and center. This reminds me of one of the more recent incarnations of 13, actually. From May of 2011, perhaps? My Wooden Box O' Doom is in another room, so I can't check at present, but...trust me- it's got that bittersweet chocolate edge to it that's foodie without being at all kid-like.

Wet On Skin: Ah, hello, patchouli! How ARE you? It's been a minute! I'm getting a fabulous mix of a very dirty patchouli indeed, with the cacao holding it's own in the near background. This is the patchouli from Mme Moriarty. I'm sure of it. It's dirty, but it's also sweet, with a LOT of depth. I'm really liking what it's doing paired with the chocolate. :wub2:

Dry Down: Brown musks most frequently wind up smelling *exactly* like a huge bundle of wet cardboard. That is to say, not terribly pleasant. I am pleased to note that the brown musks have done no such thing in this blend- huzzah! Also pleased, actually, that I get NO trace of the sarsaparilla, and I'm so sorry to those who love it, but...I'm glad. Because that is a note that invariably turns to flat, sour root bear on me and that is a thing no one wants to smell like. And by no one, I mean me.

In All: Low to medium throw. This scent has shaped up to be a fabulous alternative to Mme Moriarty. I'be often wanted another scent with that same patchouli note in it, and this is a great one. I have a feel, based on the notes, that, like Mme Moriarty and others that seems to fall in that same family (Snake Charmer, Snake Oil) that this is only going to get better with age.

LOVE! :wub:

That is some patchouli and musk! The cocoa disappears immediately on my skin and instead I am left with a blend of dirty patchouli, musk, and woods. To me this smells manly and amazing! It's not really for me, but if I found a man that smelled like this... :thud:

After a bit, a sweet, almost vanilla note starts popping in. :yum: Reminds me of the parts I liked about Banshee Beat without the overpowering dirt. The cocoa starts to sneak back in a bit later as well, but it isn't overpowering at all.

Wow.... I really like this one the longer it sits on my skin! I think this one is hoard worthy!

Evil chocolate. Evil EVIL chocolate. :yum: This is not a foody scent, but the cacao is evident from the wet stage and remains at the top throughout. For a moment the patchouli and mahogany wrestle with it for dominance. I was afraid at that point it would end up being all masculine patch and wood, but the cacao then reasserts itself with the other two close behind, gradually sweetened by the tonka, sarsaparilla and balsam in the background. The dark musks add that final sexy finish that gives a new meaning to "dark" chocolate. An enormous thank you to my Bats' Day fairy for picking up goodies for me, because I'm loving every one!

I love my wonderful fairy!

In bottle: ok, that was a rather sharp first whiff. Um. Sarsaparilla, and a hint of cocoa. The sarsaparilla is almost screaming. Whoa there.

Wet on skin: yep, sarsaparilla for sure. The others are there, just not as present: cocoa, patchouli, balsam. And yes, dark feral musks--quite feral, really. The patchouli is understated.

Dry: this is quite a morpher for me. Newly try, it's a soft, dark sarsaparilla scent, supported by the other notes: a darker, smokier Anti-Saloon League. ASL is like this new cowboy on the block, all shiny guns and spurs, with a devilish smile. Epomophorus Monstrosus is that sun-darkened cowboy dressed in black, the dust of the desert on his things, with a surly glare and smoky eyes. Does that make him less loverly? Nope. Aaaaanyway-- as this stays longer on my skin, the musks continue to develop in strength, giving this a definite musky sarsaparilla feel, much more toned down on the sarsaparilla and much more mahogany bark.

Verdict: a lovely masculine scent, perfect as a foil for ASL, but...well, yeah. Not for me.

Thank you to my amazing fairy!! :lovestruck:

I was not expecting to connect so well to this scent, after reading some of the reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how it has morphed on my skin! Immediately, it's a blast of dark chocolate, followed by the patchouli. It is indeed pretty masculine at this point, but after 5 minutes or so, the scent begins to unfold into something much more complex...

I am now left with an impression of soft patchouli, cacoa, and something very sweet and fruity(??), and I am IN LOVE!! :wub2: I have no idea where the fruity note is coming from, but on me, this is as far from masculine as you can get. It's dark, sultry, and definitely not something I would wear to class or work. This is better saved for a night when you bust out your sexiest black dress, red lipstick, and stilettos. And while this kind of night doesn't present itself often in my life, I think I'll hang on to my EM for the occasion. ;)

Many thanks to my wonderful fairy. :wub2:

I can't pass up anything with woods, and when it's combined with patchouli, musks and chocolate, I'm sold.

It smelled like Boomslang with a bit of #occupywallstreet in the bottle. Dark chocolate and dirty patchouli. :heart: Once it touches my skin, the cacao is smacked down by mahogany woods and balsam. I'm not that familiar with tonka bean so I can't tell what it lends to this perfume, but eventually this settles into a cocoa-dusted heady patch/musk with some sarsaparilla. The musk reminds me of the ones in the original Black Lace.

It's a bit on the masculine side but it's teh sex. The dry stage reminds me more of La Mano Del Destino than anything else. Slightly sweet dark patchouli.

It's a lovely sweetened patchouli on me. Earthy and sexy. YUMMY.

And I HEART my lovely fairy!

Edited by Polly

This shot right up into my top 10...

Dark Cocoa, Patchouli and musky woods...Oh my goddess. Yes - this is a filthy Patchouli ala #occupy but the cocoa is the stronger note of the two. The dry down is glorious even though the cocoa and patchouli are muted - it turns into a mahogany/teaky skin scent which is divine.

If I had unlimited funds and had gone to Bat's Day I would have picked up at least 10 bottles of this (if that's allowed). I am SO thankful to my Bat's Day Fairy for picking this up for me...I am forever in her debt. This is one of the most fabulous oils I have ever put on my skin, period. 10/10

ETA: Dec 2013: so, I think my skin chemistry has changed since I quit huffing cancer sticks...this starts out cocoa and mahogany and gets a bit dusty in the dry down...no patchouli in sight. :-( I still love this but not as much as I did last year.

Edited by Herb Girl

I'm really happy to have this, and I love the label! Thank you so much, fairy and fairy-broker. :wub:

In the bottle, I get a ton of cocoa but on my skin it isn't showing up at all. :cry2: I'm hoping this changes over time. I'm also not certain about the sarsaparilla - something about the far drydown says "incense" to my nose, but I'm not sure what that is. It's very woody, also, and there's an almost peppery quality to the woodiness. Oddly, the patchouli is not announcing itself, it's playing hide and seek.

A very interesting scent, indeed. I'm keen to see what happens with a bit of age.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I am getting a lovely patchouli/dark musk scent with a touch of chocolate sweetness - not much sarsaparilla or other notes to me.... Shocked how clear the oil is when applied when the scent is so rich and dark. I think it will age well. It amazes how different Beth's blends are from each other, even when a lot of familiar notes are used in so many of them. I really like it and am so thankful to my fairy. :wub2:

Thanks and praise to me generous fairy!

In the bottle: deep chocolate. *drool*

Wet on skin: deep chocolate and patchulli, rounded out with what I believe is the mahogany and teak. *love*

Dry: the chocolate is blending with the earthier notes to create a smooth rich almost coffee like scent. The musks are coming out, and I definitely detect black musk as one of the two. The other I am guessing must be a brown musk. Can't really detect the sasparilla but this is so rich and lovely. Along the same lines as Arabian Dance or Dark Chocolate Whiskey Cognac in that respect. Will no doubt age to magnificence.

Another bat for the win! This is going to be gorgeous in the fall!

Edited by Larinessa

I didn't think I'd like this as I'm not into "dark" scents but oh god this is awesome. Dark dry cocoa and very dirty patchouli slightly sweetened by the sarsaparilla.

Much love to my fairy!

Thank you to my awesome fairy :wub2:

In the tester, it's all cacao and patch in a lovely dance of sweet and earthy. On me, I get the sharply astringent balsam and barely, underneath that, the cacao and patchouli. It starts settling down fairly quickly and I get musky woods with a wisp of sweet sarsaparilla hiding in there. Hello, little morpher! Musky, woodsy, a smidge cologne-y... hey, where'd THAT come from? Sadly (or luckily, I dodged a bullet here), this one isn't for me.

ETA: Upon retesting, that horrid cologne vibe from when it was fresh has disappeared. It's sweet, musky, a bit woodsy and quite yummy. I think I need to find more.

Edited by brilliantcat

Thanks so much to my Fairy and Fairy Broker!! :wub2: This is amazing wet, cacao, patchouli, and black musk. Quite similar to Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, but a bit more on the the masculine side and a bit more earthy and herbal. This is dark, gritty and sexy. When it dries, more patch, less cacao. Going to try this again, as I got rained on after applying, and maybe it changed on me too quickly. I really like this, but LOVE it in the early stages. This would be AMAZING on a guy, and if the opportunity arises, I'll definitely test it out on one!

Edited by milo

Patchouli, dark musk, hint of sweetness. I don't really get cacao out of this.

Dark, musky, patchouli.

I love the bat labels on this series, but the scent is a mess on me. The patchouli smells dry and ashy, more like the patchouli I hated in occupywallstreet than the black patchouli I love in Depraved. My bottle doesn't have any 'cocoa absolute' (the dark, sludgey, delicious smelling stuff), but it does have a note in it that reminds me of chocolate scented markers. Which is to say that it smells incredibly cheap and chemical-y. As it dries down, a sharp, perfumey musk joins the mix and doesn't help matters at all.

Cheap headshop patchouli, cheap chocolate scented markers and cheap, sharp musk. Blech. :sick:

Edited by Little Bird

literally every note in epomophorus monstrosus is one of my favorites so i knew i had to have it from the start. (thank you, wonderful bat's day fairy! :wub2:) it's a lovely dark patchouli, sweetened by tonka and the barest hint of yummy sarsaparilla. underneath is rich mahogany (what my apartment smells of :lol:) and dark dark cocoa. it doesn't seem super musky to me.

the individual notes are really well-blended, like all the bat's day scents i've tried- it's not like occupy wall street where i can smell the patchouli and the cocoa and the tobacco individually. but if you like occupy wall street, or banshee beat, or boomslang, this is a must-try!

A sour cacao and wood scent, quite similar to Ein Kuss Von Krampus. The cacao smell is stronger in the imp than on my skin, where this blend becomes a dry bark (maybe just a little bit powdery, not very noticeable). I prefer something a little sweeter and more feminine, so I think this will have to go to swaps.

In the Imp (ITI): Cocao, tonka, and a little musk. I normally don't like foody scents, but this is pleasant.

Wet: I get mahogany first, then the cacao and tonka, all bracketed by the camphor aspects of balsam.

Dry: Mm, dried is lovely. I get mahogany, musk, tonka, faint cacao, and something that has a touch of myrrh.

I can't believe I have never reviewed this. :eek: :wet: This is grown up sexy chocolate. The cocoa is deep, sweetened by the tonka and mellowed and tamed by the mahogany. Dry: this is grown up sexy chocolate wood. :yum: I am so glad I was able to track down a second bottle. :D

I like this one a ton. It reminds me of a friend from college. He smelled like patchouli and was always chomping on Tootsie Rolls. This also smells like dark Halloween candy given out by the Munsters. It would not be an everyday scent but it brought back such strong memories I will bust it out and chill back in a 1998 frame of mind.

Moody, dusty chocolate. This reminds me a lot of baking chocolate, really expensive good quality baking chocolate. There's something going definitely to 'dust' right away and then it goes a little woody. Something is making this slightly sweeter, so it starts smelling really good, really, really dark chocolate. I didn't think tootsie rolls until I started reading reviews but I can definately see it. Eventually it starts phasing between an incensy type light tonka/patchouli and then goes back very quickly into the dark chocolate.

I'm not sure that I would want to smell like this enough to need more than my tester (especially since I have imps in my collection that are years old and are only now at the 3/4 mark) but I seem to like 'moody' lately so I think I'll hang on to it.

On wet: Uh, evil Tootsie Rolls? No really, it smells like slightly dirty, slightly dark Tootsie Rolls. Spouse says: cherry Tootsie Roll pop.

Initial Dry: Dirty Tootsie Rolls, but the chocolate is edging out of Tootsie Roll territory finally.

Mid-Dry: HI I'M PATCHOULI, HOW ARE YOU?

Full-Dry: Yep, very heavy on the patchouli, there's a hint of sweetness behind it but I mostly smell like a bus full of hippies that someone gave lollipops.