Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Morgause

Earth sorceress and mother of Mordred, she is, in essence, the harbinger of King Arthur's doom and the downfall of Camelot. She is a sister, or sister-self, to Morgan Le Fay. A bouquet of five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

I love half of this scent.

In the imp I got a strong whiff of what I read as narcissus (is that a night-blooming flower?). Anyway, narcissus hates me so I was worried about Morgause.

Wet on my skin I get mostly plum, violet and a little warm incense. This is the half of the scent that I love. It's heady and swoonworthy. At this point I'm ready to order a 5ml RIGHTNOW.

But then the Jasmine leaps out -- too sharp, too much -- and runs away with the scent. And dry it's all Jasmine. Alas. I think if this was just the purple fruits and violet and incense this would be the perfect scent for me. It's those night-blooming flowers that get me.

My search for the perfect violet and plum continues.

Best,

Tzi Edited by tziporra

Bottle: Violet, which unfortunately, I don't like.

Wet: Violet and floral, with a teensy bit of incense.

Drydown: It is a beautiful violet, but I just don't mesh well with it.

2.5 outta 5

Beautiful Morgause!

In the imp and wet, she is all sweet jasmine.

Dry: Violets come through now and cut the super sweetness of the jasmine, adding a hint of soapiness. I also detect plum rips and about to burst.

After about 30-40 minutes, violet is the main note now. I smell different shades of purple.

Wet in imp:

complex floral - I can't really pick out what I'm smelling (mostly because I'm not terribly skilled at specifying notes, especially in imps)

Wet on skin:

lily and jasmine

Drydown:

very pretty floral with almost a light "woody" scent

Final impression:

This develops into a fairly "conventional perfume" smelling scent on me. It's not bad, but it's not what I'm looking for.

In the vial I smelled freshly cut violets and not much of anything else. The moment I dabbed it on my wrist the violets exploded with the humidity of hothouse blooms. The incense holds the strong violet smell and the air of humidity together very well. I actually think it's a little too humid for me and doesn't have enough non-violet floral. Will pass on this.

Morgause is one of the few BPALs with "night-blooming" in the description that I can actually pull off. It's wonderfully purple--the violet, the fruits--very feminine and very sensual. It's a fruity floral for a woman, not a little girl.

I am being surprised all around by blends this evening. I usually don't like fruits, and violets and I despise each other, but for some reason, this really works for me. I think it's the incense note that ties everything together for me. I agree with other reviewers in that it's a very "Purple" scent. The flowers and fruits blend together seamlessly. Wet, I could detect jasmine (definitely) and maybe plum? But as it dries, they enmesh so well that the individual notes are almost indistinguishable. The incense wafts throughout the entire blend, creating a depth to the scent that otherwise might be written off for me.

wet: jasmine, a little violet, and more jasmine.

this is a heavy floral scent on me and i'm scared the jasmine is going to turn into a bad band-aid smell.

dry: still very floral and i can mostly pick out the jasmine and nothing else.

i don't think this one is for me. it has too many floral notes and i'm starting to get a headache

Wet: Sweet heavy florals. Very pretty, but I'm not a big floral person.

Dry: I can catch a bit of smokiness with what smells like jasmine. I think I can also smell the violets deep down with the barest hint of berries.

It's nice , though there is something just a bit off with it. I'll probably try it once more before making up my mind, but I have a feeling this one will end up in the swap pile.

A dark velvet cloak of evening primrose, night-blooming jasmine and cereus, angel trumpet and moonflowers...a whiff of dry violet and a tinge of fruity plum and blackberry. The incense reminds me of the note in Parlement of Foules but even lighter. Sensual and captivating, not nearly as heavy a blended floral as it sounds. By drydown it is in control by the incense. The overall feel is mysterious and shrouded in mystery. A beautiful interpretation of Morgause.

:P

I tried Morgause on my wrists last night, and it was completely disappointing. Out of all of the listed notes, all that I got was night-blooming jasmine... except for about two startled seconds of faint purple fruits. Then, back to jasmine and then I went to bed. Faded completely by morning.

Jasmine smells literally like flower-poop to me (indole, yay). Although it is my goal to somehow overcome that and start to like and smell jasmine from an appreciative point of view, I have not yet been able to do so. After all, one day someone will be crazy enough to make some K23 and I have to be ready for it.

But as jasmine goes, this was one of the less objectionable smelling ones. Blergh.

An imp I order in my first order and I am falling in love. Since I was going to work today I just put a little on. I really seem to amp the incense and I love that. Unfortuneatly it has finally kinda worn off althoguh every once in a while I catch the incense again. My thinks this may be my next big bottle purchase. Just have to try like 20 more scents to see my favorite for an order. :P

Wet: Joy in a bottle. Sweet, fresh flowers, not perfumey at all. It's like walking around with your nose buried in a bouquet.

Dry: Morgause deepens, and I start to get the "purple" feeling from it I red about in other reviews. I don't smell incense, nor does it smell fruity, but I suspect the purple fruits are what's making the flowers smell so juicy and "alive".

It doesn't last as long as I hoped, but my skin drinks oil like crazy :(

This was love at first sniff!

Imp: mmmmm violet and jasmine maybe

Wet on Me: still a tad more violet than anything else.

Drying Down: violet…some jasmine…not sure if I’m getting

the incenses or the fruits….but I’m getting something.

Dry: It’s violet and jasmine. Everything else seemed to be

too scared to come and play with me.

1247051852_VRGo8-Ti.jpg 1247051862_e3AVd-Ti.jpg

This blend is a puzzler; sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don't. I totally blame the night-blooming jasmine, as jasmine in any form is not always a friend of mine. When it hates me, it smells like sour death; when it doesn't hate me, it acts all innocent and sweet, like "me stink? Never!"

Today, though I was afraid jasmine was in a snotty hateful mood, it actually turned out to be very good for me with Morgause. This isn't a blend I wear very often, because my younger daughter wears it a lot, and I sort of identify its scent with her (as well as Black Dahlia, but that's another review). But since today we took her to the airpot to fly to her sweetie in Canada (wedding bells may well be in the offing within the year) I wore Morgause in her honor (she wore the Black Dahlia :lol: ).

It smells very differently on the two of us; hence my calling Morgause a puzzler in my first sentence. On her, it's all lovely violets and incense. On me, not so much with the incense...but at least violet shows up with the rest of the florals. I love violet, and it almost makes up for when jasmine plays her nasty little tricks on me. Almost.

Sadly, even dry I get no incense (which I love!) and not a lot of violet (see above). I have a rollerball bottle with several imps' worth of Morgause; that will do me -- no bottle purchase for this blend, though I bought a 10ml bottle from a LJ seller for DD#2's Yule gift a couple of years ago. I'll let her wear the Morgause for me too.

Edited by stellans

In the imp: Purple fruity-floral. The only two notes that stand out distinctly at the moment are jasmine and plum… possibly a touch of violet, but it's very subdued here. It's feminine and powerful, dark and mysterious.

On, wet: Heady dark floral with a very ripe and fruity aspect. It's a deep, intense purple, a majestic sort of perfume. After a few minutes, a swirl of incense smoke comes out, a haze over the violets, jasmine and plums. It's not as sweet as you might expect, because the incense really cuts a lot of that sweetness. Perfect for Morgause.

On, dry: Smokey, winey, voluptuous dark plums and incense, with a backdrop of flowers. It's a bit sweeter now, but still very dark and intense and complex. It's not overpoweringly floral, and not completely fruity, either; this is something in-between, and it's very well blended.

Later: Plummy, very incense-y, smokey, with a bit of sweetness from the flowers. It's drier now, not as juicy, but it's blended beautifully.

Much later: Incense, with a hint of plum.

Overall: A deep, dark purple scent, womanly and regal but shadowy and mysterious. It's quite fruity (specifically, very plummy) but not overly sweet, and the incense is the perfect touch to bring the flowers and fruit together. I'll wear this one when I'm in the mood to smite somebody. ;)

This was gorgeous, when it smelled like plums on me, (even though I don't like the taste of plums--go figure) but then it went powdery, and I smelled like a hothouse. Not the kind that you can spend all day in, but the kind when the flowers are half dessicated, and it's more death than blooming. Which, I suppose, is more appropriate for Morgause, but smelling what this is like on my aunt, makes me very sure that it's just that my chemistry hates florals.

In the imp all I can smell are the florals. This doesn't look good for me..

On my skin, it's all floral.. and then, baby powder. All baby powder.

Wet: Very grown-up and floral.

Dry: Stayed much the same.

Overall: Quite nice. Not my everyday sort of scent - for more formal/professional occasions, I think. Most likely a bottle purchase.

Imp: White and purple flowers

Wet: Floral, slightly antiseptic

Drydown: The antiseptic note has disappeared. This smells like a hothouse full of blooming flowers.

Overall: This was floral overload. Not my thing.

Morgause

I kind of wish I had the impulse to do the lovely poetic reviews that some others do, but alas, my scientific mind just doesn't go that way.

In the imp: The night-blooming white flowers - jasmine for sure, not sure what else. A lovely purple fruitiness that is sweet and juicy. The violet is not too sweet, but I am not getting any incense. This is purple and white.

Wet: I think the fruit might be grape. This is a fairly complex blend, a little bit of incense coming out now, but not much.

Dry: It loses some of the sweetness and juiciness as it dries and it smells better in the crook of my elbow than on my wrist! It doesn't seem to be as strong on me as on some of the other reviewers. The floral and fruit is very well blended on me. What incense is there is very subtle. The violet has tempered down from how it smells in the imp. I am really liking the way the fruit balances out the floral.

A night time scent to be sure, very smooth and round and dare I say, velvety. Morgause and I get along just fine.

As I work my way through trying my vials, I have noticed that dabbing vs slathering makes a difference on how things smell on me. I seem to have perfume eating skin and I sometimes get a different balance of notes depending on how much I have applied. Weird.

Hee, hee, I have a web feed of an eagle nest running while I am doing this. One of the baby eagles just sneezed!

My body chemistry has definitely changed recently. I used to love this as sort of a more formal bpal, for a special occasion. Suddenly it just straight to a headache-inducing floral explosion. Sad. Maybe I can find a better home for it.

I'm afraid my skin amped up the flowers instead of the incense I was hoping for. Nice, sweet floral with decent throw. Pretty :)

Flowers with an edge of purple fruits and a smidge of incense. The plum in this is very similar to the plum in Bathsheba. Once it dries, it's a pretty blend of florals and purple fruits followed by a woody incense. A womanly, mature scent.