Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Blood Kiss

Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

In bottle, smells like poppy, wine and musk with maybe a hint of cherry making it smell medicinal. On me definitely smells medicinal, musk, vetiver and clove are very overpowering. Not my type of smell. Edited by Shollin

The spicyness of the cloves and the herbal grasses (vetiver?) round out the sweetness of the vanilla and cherry. It's a well-blended, creamy scent with a touch of fruity without being gourmand or too foody. I never though I could wear cloves, but they add just the right touch to create a womanly fragrance.

Rating: 4.5/5

this is a complex scent. dark and musky, but sweet and spicy. i'm not getting so much powder as incense from this one...i think i'll give it an hour and see what i think then. this is a heady blend, i'm not sure if i love it or hate it...but i keep sniffing my wrist to be sure :P

Bottle: honey and cherry (not marachino!), and vanilla (in that order)...sweet but not cloying

Wet: the same.

Dry: the wine is a getting that boozy sweet, now, and I can catch the vetiver beneath it all.

Later: O vetiver: To the last, I will grapple with thee. From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

I dabbed on a little Blood Kiss this morning, because it was today's random pick of the imps to test.

In the imp, it's quite dark in feel ... there's honey amongst all of this (I'm beginning to learn that I *heart* BPAL's honey note), something cherry (but not in the artificial cough syrup, or maraschino, or superbright glacé cherry kind of way ... there's something kind of woodsy bringing all of this together.

Wet on skin, I get something ... dark honey with that woodsy thing going on. There's a hint of clove peeking out now (it makes me think I want to make gingerbread, seeing that's a big part of what makes up my gingerbread besides the ginger!)

Once dry, the musk and vanilla mellow everything out. It's still dark honey, the woodsy feel backs off a bit - is that the vetiver contributing to the woodsy feel?, or maybe that's the poppy ... nothing that particularly strikes me as being winey...

I could imagine wearing this with a deep red corset, flowing skirt, tendrils of hair tumbling down. It's not quite right for a summer scent (although it's cooler today than it has been in recent weeks), I think it'd do better in Autumn or Winter.

When I opened my imp and took the first sniff, it wasn't how I expected it to be at all, and I became reluctant to try it on because I was sure I would dislike the scent on my skin.

However, I went back to it tonight and decided to test it out while I was alone at home (because we all know there's nothing worse than trying out a scent that doesn't work with your skin chemistry when you're out in public wearing it all day) and was pleasantly surprised with how much BETTER Blood Kiss smelled on my skin. It took at least 10 minutes until after the scent had dried for me to distinguish the differences, and as time continued to pass, I found myself liking it more and more. Blood Kiss has a raw, feral edge to it that can work equally as well on a man as it can on a woman. The vanilla eludes me, but cherries, red wine, and the other included scents stand out. Blood Kiss is very full-bodied, complex, and sexual in a very appealing, androgynous way.

I'm not sure of whether or not I'll be buying a 5 mL in the future, but I'll most definitely keep my imp and use it up. :P

From my BPAL database:

Bottle: My enemy vetiver.

Wet: I can smell the sweet vanilla now and the cherry. Sadly lacking in musk.

Drydown: Ooh, much better! A musky scent, sweetened by vanilla and cherry. The vetiver prevents it being too cloying.

Dry: The sweet cherry comes out even more. Yum! Now a gorgeous vanilla scent over musk. A real "wow" scent!

Vial: Dark and musky and slightly sweet.

On: It's murky, must be the vetiver and poppy and musk. The vanilla is very faint and the cherry scent is also very faint, too. Sad I get none ofthe clove yet. It's a musty plastic scent.

Overall: It's not so bad, but I think my chemistry is doing something with the cherry and vanilla to make it plasticy. Better for others, I'm sure. That's sad, I wanted to love it :P

First reaction upon smelling: Sweet sweet *gasp* too sweet!

Initially on skin: Still overpoweringly sweet. I'm not getting any vanilla, honey, or cherry (and I got honey galore from Bengal), just a very strong musky-sweetness that's not bad, just a bit much.

Four hours later: It's finally toned down enough so that I can smell a bit of honey, along with cloves.

Overall: I can imagine Drusilla from BtVS wearing this (which is fitting), but not me. I think I'll be trading this one out.

Imp: Sweet red wine

Wet: Clove and red wine. The scent is so strong it makes my stomach turn.

Dry: The clove disappears and the scent mellows. It becomes a very sweet vanilla, cherry, wine which gets muskier over time. A dark and sexy fragrance.

This scent works well with my chemistry but I don't think it's for me. The dry down is nice but the initial wine and clove stage is really tough to get through.

I am in love with this,intoxicating brew.

In the vial I sense an intense dark spicy floral.

wet I get a rush of sweet but deep full honey- not sticky,sugary,or childish- the dark vanilla merged with it- must help.

Secondly and early during the drydown, I smell the spicy warm clove,although it does not dominate and block the other scents- as I feared:)

I then smell the "swollen" red cherries and the blood red wine at the end of the whiff.This scent is intensly sexy and "heaving". I am guessing the musk is aiding in that.

As I said, I love this scent. it is dark and mysterious.

I am so please that I bought this in a 5ml right off the bat:)

edit: my 2 year old said"mommy, you smell like a big black cherry!"

Edited by Shollin

In the imp this smells like cherry honeycomb.

But on me? Well, let's just say that with the exception of cherry, Blood Kiss is a list of notes that do not like me. This turns into sticky, sweat-sour puke band-aids when it meets my chemistry.

Off to swaps!

I definitely agree with what others are saying when they describe this as "a complex scent". It is that, but it the loveliest way. I get so many different things from this. The vanilla, honey, and cherry make this sweet and pretty, but the cloves, poppies, and resins make it mysterious, laguorous, and quite a bit sexy. I am really liking that combination... a lot. I can pick out each and every one of the notes, but they blend together perfectly. That's exactly what I like to see.

This scent is incredibly wearable, very very "me", and really different from any of the other BPAL imps I've since upgraded to bottles with. As my collection grows, it gets harder and harder for me to become really enamoured with a new scent, but this one stands a chance. The more I smell it, the more beautiful it becomes, and I could easily see a 5mL of this making it into my next order. It's a masterpiece that I already know I'll be reaching for often.

In the bottle: Vanilla-y honey, sweet, metallic bloody aftertaste with a touch of clove, disturbing and dizzying like sugared blood.

Wet: Way more vanilla and some woody notes. Metallic tang mellows out, along with clove bite. Much more smooth and sugary sweet, instead of honey-sweet.

Dry: Vanilla tones down a bit and the woody notes almost disappear to let clove take on the supporting role. Still that hint of tang that lingers in the back of the throat that lets you know this is no innocent sweet scent.

Later: Definite vanilla and clove, with that smear of honey. No cherries here, but still a faint woody note and that discombobulating tang.

Impression: Absolutely, one hundred percent, reminds me of blood. It is spicy-sweet blood. Favorite scent of a very feminine, seductive vampiress.

Buy: No, it doesn't smell quite right on me.

Edited by otterstamp

This is my first post and first review here and I'm very new to BPAL. I just got my first order yesterday and I've already placed two more--can you tell I'm already addicted? :P

Bottle: A sticky sweet 'bloody' scent. I totally agree with the reviewer who described it as "sugared blood". Very vampiric. I pick up more of the sweetness than the spice.

On Me: It is very sweet on me when it is wet but the clove starts to come out quickly and it smells almost incensey. I am catching whiffs of the sweetness (the honey?) but it's now much more spice. I can pick up the cherry as well and maybe a bit of the vanilla. It's still very dark, sticky, and oozy. I love it. I think I might order a bottle.

This scent is so perfect. It starts out as an okay blend of sweet smells, but deepens as it dries. The vanilla comes out strongest on me, but cherry, clove, musk, and some sort of wood scent keep coming up and down throughout wear. There's a sharp note in there somewhere (vetiver?), but it doesn't really detract from the scent.

This may possibly be my favorite BPAL scent thus far. I procured a bottle via Ebay and thought the description sounded li

First sniff: Damn it. It smells like Hell's Belle which went terrible on me.

Initial Application: Vampire Harlot!!!!!! The wine, clove. and vertiver stand out and this is quite strong. The cherry is in there somewhere and as for the poppy, I don't really know what that smells like. I am hoping it will die down or I will smell like a Vampire Harlot at work.

1-2 hours: The scent is mellowing out and the honey, vanilla and musk are coming forward.

3-4 hours: Iyt's just the musk, vanilla and honey. It's Evil O!!!!! It is everything I had hoped O would be. O had little throw on me and was pretty for a few hours but dried down to a powdery scent within three hours. Too inoocent in my opinion also.

4 Hours +: I love the musk in this. I have never smelled anything like it before. It's not a heavy scent, it's definately a musk, but has almost a lightness about it but its not a light scent! The vanilla and honey are somewhere in the distant background.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this scent. I need more as I have been drenching myself like a Naughty Vampire Harlot and have already used alot. I am not sharing this either just like my Lust. None for you for all you friends of mine. It's all miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

* I did not get any of the "bloodiness" that others seemed to get alot.

Im in :P

I've tried Blood Kiss a few times now, and I honestly can't decide if I like it or not. In the bottle, I don't care for it all that much. But in true addict fashion, I know that the bottle scent hasn't got a thing to do with how it smells on me...

Wet: This is complex, and I can't figure out a) what it smells like or :P whether or not I like it. The complexity itself is fascinating.

Dry-down: I can start to pick up clove, cherry, musk, traces of a deep bitter vanilla, dragon's blood...

Dry: As it starts to mellow, I like it more and more. Black wine cherry vanilla dragon's blood? But the next sniff, I don't like it. And then I sniff again, and I do...

Since there are so many other scents that I absolutely adore, this one will be off to the swap pile, even though it's a tantalizingly complex scent.

In the imp it is honey. REAL HONEY, GUYS, OMG IT'S HONEYYYY I WANT

... And then I put it on my skin. And this is a three word review:

GODDAMN YOU, VETIVER

ETA: Hahaha I lied, vetiver never even had a chance. Upon testing of other blends I've discovered that honey likes to turn into powder on me. So this is Honey SN on me I guess.

Edited by modernsaints

This is my all time favorite scent. Out of the bottle to me it reminds me of chocolate without smelling like chocolate, if that makes sense.

On: it still reminds me of a little bit of chocolate, but also with cherry and vanillia. However, there is something darker hidden behind it. Like a vampire hiding in the shadows.

Several hours later: Unfornuately after a couple of hours it starts to smell mostly like vanillia and powder on me. So I just reapply a lot because I love it so much.

Bottle: Ohh. The cherries- and the wine note, ohmygod, the wine note is GORGEOUS.

Wet: The vanilla and honey really come out- it's very creamy. BPAL honey always goes a little funny on me but this seems alright. The amazing wine note is definitely still intact and there is a HINT of musk. There is something a little spicy as well which I assume is the clove. No vetiver (good), but unfortunately I don't smell any more of those great big juicy cherries.

Dry: The vanilla, musk and honey are predominant.

Overall: Blood Kiss is a dark, sensual scent. I really like it; it's extremely sexy and so lush and creamy.

Category: Bewitching Brews

In the Vial: ... Wow! That's remarkably... chocolately? Cocoa-y? Something like that? I'm not sure, but it's foody and it's making me hungry. I don't even know why; but the clove and the vanilla -- with a hint of the wine -- comes out with a strangely cocoa-esque smell. Huh. How strange. I... still rather like it, it's just making me hungry. There's a whiff of something darker, too... musk, maybe?

On wet: Oh, hello musk. Mmm, love you. <3 This is very complex and the notes blend well, but it is very much a musk. Most of the musks I've gotten from BPAL, however, have been men's (Iago) which needs to be aged to smell right on me, or just not suitable -- too sharp and bitey (Loviatar). This... this could be my musk.

Drydown: This is light, sexy musk -- with hints of everything else listed except the honey. I never even get the faintest whiff of it. That's fine, though -- that's why I bought a bottle of O, which I really adore.

This will probably be on the list of 'bottles I really want', along with some Iago to age, and one of Bon Vivant... But we'll have to see what my next order brings me in new imps and frimps!

In the imp: A little bit of vanilla, bot mostly something darker, a bit musky, and kind of boozy.

Wet: This reminds me of O (probably just because I just tried O as well), in that it's got the same musky honey and vanilla, with more vanilla on me than O had. This is darker and deeper, though, and not as sweet as I expected. It's almost smokey - that's probably the cloves.

Drying: Yummy, but darkly so. Still not what I expected (I expected something slightly lighter and maybe sweeter), but nice. It softens a little bit with time and mellows out.

Final Verdict: I'll use my imp, definitely, and may order more eventually. It's like a darker, almost evil version of O, if that makes sense.

Vanilla and honey are two of my favourite notes, especially when combines with skin musk, so I'm intrigued to try this blend.

In the vial - All the sweet honey and vanilla of O are here, but there's a darker undertone lent by the vetiver which intrigues me. While I loved O at first, I've found that my tastes have changed to include some of the darker scents, so I have high hopes for Blood Kiss!

Wet on the skin - If I had to sum this scent up in one word, it would be "throbbing". The honey and vanilla re still the most noticeable, but vetiver and poppy are lurking in the background, like vampires waiting for the sun to set. :P

Dry down - Luscious, rich and vampiric, Blood Kiss has the perfect blend of dark fruit, earthy notes and sweetness.

Blood Kiss....you really don't like me and that's okay because it's mutual.

In the imp: Cherries and wine. The scene from "Witches of Eastwick" plays out when I think of that cherry smell.

Wet on skin: It definitely doesn't want me wearing it. The wine scent becomes extremely bitter on me. The cherries are buried under it.

Dry on skin: *sobs* I wanted so much to like this one, but in the end I smelled like cat vomit. This is the first scent that has made me want to cry. :P