Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Blood Kiss

Blood Kiss

Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

Initial Impression

Sweet. You can smell the earthy, gritty vetiver, but overall, it's just a very sweet scent.

Wearing It

Not being much of a fan of sweet scents, this is probably going to be a bit of a biased review. When it first goes on, the vetiver is very strong but almost immediately it fades and submits to a honey scent (and by honey, I mean fresh off the comb). There's the faintest scent of cherries and vanilla, followed by the spice and earth scent of vetiver. I'm assuming that some of the sweetness is also the wine, but I can't smell it too much. In anycase, the musk is also very prevalent (and actually ties this whole thing together).

On the whole, it would be a great scent for someone who could stomach wearing honey or vanilla, and who didn't have skin that hated cherries. Unfortunately, that person isn't me. I really love the clove and vetiver, but as far as spicey scents go, Serpent's Kiss smelled better to me (the dragon's blood and vetiver and cinnamon made the perfect earthy, spicy cherry scent).

Blood Kiss and Velvet are the two scents that taught me to rethink my vanilla repulsion. It figures that the lab would be the one to teach me that vanilla can be good!

Blood Kiss is a gorgeous mix of vanilla, clove, and honey on me. I don't smell the cherries much, but the musk and wine are there- and the vetiver makes it just dark enough. mmm.... There's just something sexy about it; a sort of "I'm going to seduce you, but I'm not planning to" kind of thing.

{Granted, that's not always the response you want, as my dad complimented me on it and then asked for details... including the name. I just couldn't bring myself to tell Mr. UltraConservative that the name was Blood Kiss....sigh- I felt like I was disowning the lab! } :P

Interestingly enough, this scent didn't change much once I put it on. The cherries came through a bit more, but the overall scents remained, from strongest to weakest, clove, vetiver, cherry, and vanilla. I didn't get a lot of honey, but I'll live. I was in it for the vetiver and vanilla, anyway. Also, six hours after application, I can still smell it on me, which is very unusual. Most scents have either faded to powder or disappeared completely on me in two hours.

After it's dry, it's more sweet than smoky and the cherry and vanilla balances the clove more. I'll definitely go through my 5mL bottle.

And the description makes me want to sit down and write vampire erotica.

I thought I'd love this, given the reviews here and the description. And my love of vanilla, berries, wine; all things sweet and/or berry.

But all I smell is what I guess must be vetiver and/or musk. Ugh. I think I may have had this same problem with King of Spades and with some of the Lunacy blends (and maybe Samhain and Lampades-- which I loved at first, but then got incensy/musky). Frustrating.

Still trying to pinpoint the problem notes, so I can avoid them.

In the imp: Vetiver. Pure vetiver. Oh dear, this could be bad.

Wet: Vetiver and musk. It's very dark and overpowering. I smell vaguely like wood shavings. Doh!

Drydown: After several hours, this does dry down to something nice and what I normally like -- creamy & sweet. I can smell the honey and vanilla mixed with some fruit. It's much lighter in this stage.

Final thoughts: While I do like the late drydown stage, it took me about four hours to get there and its throw is weakening by a lot. If I can't get a blend to something nice within the first hour, it's just not worth it to me. Especially when the first few hours smell like wood shavings. Ah skin chemistry, how I wish you had better timing.

I'm trying Blood Kiss tonight, and I'm intrigued! A veil of bright cherry/strawberry just hiding something... interesting... That would be the vetiver and possibly some bitter almond. Reading about it, I see poppy, honey and vanilla is supposed to be in there, and when I think about it, I can feel the honey running through it all. No sign of the clove, or even musk, though. Unless it's hiding in the vetiver. Very cool, since I didn't think I could wear vetiver scents.

Vanilla, clove, musk, red wine. . . dear lord, I think the Labbies have been spying on me!

In the bottle, this smelled very strongly of vetiver and red wine, which would have put me off if I hadn't read the other reviews in the thread before ordering. Because others reported that this scent changes dramatically after it's applied to skin, I ignored the bottle-scent and dabbed a bit of Blood Kiss on my wrists. I must say, the improvement was quite dramatic.

Wet, it smelled like a musky vetiver (which is much more pleasant than straight-up vetiver), and the sweetness of the cherries was very prominent. I think I may have detected a bit of the poppy, as well, rounding things out. Alas, my beloved clove and its vanilla playmate are MIA. But I'm patient. I'll coax them out.

Upon drydown, my wrists smelled quite chocolatey, but not sweet. It was more a dark chocolate/baking chocolate scent than a milk chocolate. A tad bit musky, vaguely sweet, and. . .what's this? There's the clove! The clove's not all that strong as it's embraced by vanilla and a bit of that pesky vetiver, but my precious is there, and I am happy.

This is a very tantalizing blend. I wish the clove note was stronger, but I'm not complaining. This scent is long-lasting, very soft and elegant with a sharp bite. I'm quite impressed, and am currently at the mercy of the Lab. :P

The base of this blend is definately vanilla, and in the bottle I do get a bit of cherry - but once it's on my skin it's all clove and vetiver. Not a good combination for me at all, unfortunately. I could see this as a dark, sexy, sweet scent - for someone else. :P

Oh my god. I love this....almost as much as Dana O'Shee.

Wet -- its very strong of the amber. My fiance thought it was very honey smelling and to him it smelled like LUSH Honey I washed the Kids.

Dry and during the die down it was more amber and a soft powedery smell...must be the vanilla.

The fiance swore up and down all day that it was honey smelling to him. And now he really wants some......

So I've hooked him on LUSH and BPAL.

Sweet and spicy in the vial.

On, my skin takes the vanilla and it then overpowers all other parts of this fragrence. :P

It smells wonderful in the oil burner though. :D

The cherry is juicy, the vanilla sweet, the poppy, wine, and honey add an interesting depth to it. It makes the house smell warm and inviting. Oh, how I wish it smelled as good on me.

Bloos Kiss takes the sex scent of O, and carries it off for a bloody good time elsewhere.

It's the sort of romp that would leave you with torn clothes, wine in your hair, mud on your hands, and bruises for a week.

Let's call it a 'maybe'.

This is very complicated. Since putting it on it has morphed through many different scent combinations. It seems to have settled on a very sharp medicinal honey - actually very similar to a homemade hot lemon and honey. interesting.

BLOOD KISS

In The Imp: Wasn't so sure about this one, I worried that it was gonna be like Bloodlust which was a scent that DEFINITELY hated me. Was all dragon's blood and something else that I couldn't identify.

Wet On Skin: Still a little unsure, it's a little overwhelmingly musky

Dried: Honey. I'm smelling honey and it's dark and sexy. Mmmm...A good scent to review on Valentines day. As it dries down more, it mellows out and gets sweeter. I wanna dress in red velvet and lounge about my gothic mansion.

Overall Opinion: I love this. I'm surprised that I love this because of my dislike of Bloodlust, but mmmm...it's sexy and yummy and warm.

I just got this today as a giftie in a swap from IvyandPeony - thank you! - and had to review.

Learn from my mistakes: I had actually ordered an imp of this when it very first came out months ago - thought the description sounded perfect for me - and swapped it away almost immediately. I've been having second thoughts, so had added it to my wish list.

Smelling it now, I think I must have been a lunatic to give it up in the first place! However, I did get it before I instated my new program of trying everything twice and not trying more than two new scents at once - yes, :P, I've often binged when a new order or swap arrives, smelling bunches of them at time and trying 4 or 5 at once!

In the bottle and wearing initially:

Smells mostly - and strongly - of vetiver and cherries, with a touch of wine and sweetness in the background. Doesn't smell that great to me at all - cherries and vetiver is a weird-ish combo - and I think this is what threw me off initially, as I had been expecting to love this from the get-go.

Wearing:

After about 15-20 mintues, the honey, vanilla and clove come more to the fore and the cherries and vetiver fall back a bit (don't really smell the wine anymore). It all starts to blend seamlessly, the vetiver and clove grounding the sweeter notes and giving it depth and keeping everything from going sickly-sweet on me, as often happens with honey and vanilla (and cherries, for that matter).

I see the drydown as being a combination of Blood or Bloodlust and O.

(I actually hate O on me - so disappointing - so this ends up being a wearable O type of fragrance for someone like me that finds that blend to be too cloying.)

This may be a big bottle for me - and I don't buy many.

In the bottle: A musky version of Blood.

Wet: Musk. Clove and cherries come up as well, but mainly musk. Very warm and spicy.

Drydown: Sweet and powdery. Nice and clovey too. As far as wearing it tho…being honest with myself, I would never wear this. I love Blood and there is a very similar vibe between the two. But I’ll just enjoy my Blood and pass this on to someone who loves it.

Finally: Very very nice, but just not very me.

When I read the description for Blood Kiss I was instantly infatuated.

Vanilla sweetness was calling my name…

Dragon’s Blood was a mystery, and I was eager to find out just what it smelled like.

Now I can only assume that Dragon’s Blood is what made Blood Kiss smell so suffocating to me. Well, that or the musk which jumped right out at me, smothering any hint of vanilla (I swear, it knows I don’t like it, so it makes a nice show of being noxious).

This will be going into ye old swap pile, straightaway.

In the bottle this is awesome. It is sweet, but not overly sweet. The cherry and vanilla make this smell edible, but the other components tone down the foody aspect.

As soon as I put this one the dragon's blood "pops" making this super sweet. Then the vetiver and musks start vying for the forefront. The combination of the sweet versus sexual leads to a more masculine version of O. This is a little two masculine on me, but is awesome on the boy.

First sniff from the bottle- Just like Blood but with some vanilla

After 10 minutes- The vetiver which I am not a fan of has now come out, making me wrinkle my nose. I hope this phase does not last long.

After 30 minutes- Huh. I don't smell the vanilla in this at all anymore. Just a slight tang of 'Blood' and LOTS of icky vetiver which smells like mothballs to me.

Summery- Well, crap. I was really excited about this one. My skin chemistry has ruined this by turning something really lovely into stinky mothballs.

It's a little bit of cherry and vanilla... wrapped around a solid brick of vetivert.

It changed around a lot in the fist hour or so, but it was like the vetivert stayed the same, and the other components just moved around it.

Blood Kiss:

Blood Kiss had the most incredible description.

It sounded perfect.

Sadly, I don't know if there's something going on with my body chemistry today or not (I was sick last week, and I'm still on antibiotics), but Blood Kiss went on wonderfully fruity/cherry-clove, and ended up smelling like amber. Amber and I do not get along whatsoever, so this was quite horrific.

I plan on giving Blood Kiss another try at a later date, and hope that it doesn't do this again.

I fell in love with this one straightaway from the description. I had imagined a warm spiced vanilly cherry sort of scent, thick with sex like molasses......*sigh*

In reality, this is the complete and utter opposite of my imagining. :P

First sniff: Ick, what is that sharp biting smell? It's a note I recognize from others..must found out what it is so I can avoid it in the future.

On skin: *sigh* Biting note gets louder and there's nothing to really mellow it out...Kind of reminds me of a cold, dark, occult shop run by mean ladies.

On skin later: It's still the biting note mellowed only slightly by occult-shopy incense.. :D

Four hours later: Finally this scent "warmed up" and blended with my skin. It's still not overly lovely or even close to its description, but it's fine. It's now a deep skin spice touched with hints of incense..I still can't help but think of an occult shop, this is the warm (now, not at first swipe) spice of earth, graying women running the register, and maybe just a touch of pretentiousness. If it jumped straight to this within 5-10 minutes I would definitely consider wearing it (not often though), but as it is...I might give it one more shot to love me, looks doubtful though.

Overall: I'm soooo sad about this one. Really, I need to stop imagining what scents will be like from only their descriptions, I find disappointment every time. This smells nothing of blood, kisses, sex, or warmth. Only cold, sharp, biting, occult-ish bookstores. Evil Hippies might like this one..not me. *cries quietly in the corner*

Edit - I reread some of the reviews on this page, how can mine be sooo different?? Where's the cherry in mine? Where's the clove? Where's this vanilla? I swear not a single one of those notes is in whatever I got. Could I have possible gotten a bad one? I've noticed discrepencies in scent from imp to bottle before, could that have happened? *allows hope to creep back in*

Edited by Sara

it's not Honey I washed the Kids.

it's better than that.

It's.... dare I say it.....

FLYING SAUCERS!

I must be some sort of skin chemistry freak of nature.

In the vial, this is oh so delicious, gorgeous, ecstatic, stupendous, sexy, love, beautiful.

In a highly excited state, I slid this over my wrist and within ten seconds, literally before it had even dried on my skin....The Amber Curse. Damnit! Pure baby powder. None of the delicious clove or cherry or vetiver could defeat the dreaded powder. If you can wear this, I envy you so much! It's beautiful in the vial, truly transcendant.

I hate this Curse. I must be rid of it! *sob* :P

in the bottle: a dark scent with a hint of cherry and vanilla

on skin, wet: hmm... i don't smell the cherry or vanilla anymore and the musk has become very strong.

on skin, dry: it smells very powdery.

final thoughts: definitely not for me since i'm not a fan of powdery scents. swapped.

the first time i wore this it smelled like chocolate covered cherries. but about a week later i wore it again and it smelled completely different. the cherry was almost unnoticeable and it smelled very strongly of honey and a little bit of vanilla. after half an hour i was smelling only honey and then nothing -- it faded pretty fast.