Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Blood Kiss

Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

I would have sworn that I reviewed this already, but apparently not.

In the Bottle: Honey and cherry.

Wet on Skin: Strong smell of Robitussen, hint of musk.

Dry on Skin: Musk, artificial cherry, very strong.

Altogether very disappointing. I was really hoping that it would be good. I hate the scent of artificial cherry, so it just isn't going to work for me.

This is very sensual...has a good throw and lasting power on me. Which says A LOT becuase not much lasts or has much throw on me.

One of my favorites!

Blood Kiss turns into a dark, thick honey smell on me from the start. No trace of the cherry or wine. The musk comes out a little bit after a few minutes. There might be a trace of the poppy as well. Hm...

I'm not a huge fan of honey, but if I did like it I'm sure I would be head-over-heels for this blend. I smell like the evil twin of those honey bear squeeze bottles. :D

If you like honey, this might be the perfume for you! (or if you have a significant other who just happens to love the stuff! :P )

ETA: It's been three hours since I put it on and it's still going very strong.

Edited by Underline2

In the bottle: Sweet, but spicy. I could really smell the clove.

Wet: Sweet, but DARK. Has an almost coppery twang to it, which made me think of real blood. VERY strong, too, this had an insane amount of throw on me right from the start.

Dry: The clove and musk finally settled down after about an hour or two, and turned into a deep, sweet smell.

Overall: I generally don't like really husky, heavy scents...but this was actually a really nice one! Usually I don't like heavy scents because they're bitter and too cologne-y, but this was sweet and rich with musky overtones. It lasts a LONG TIME, though--I put this on last night, and I still smell like it. :P This would be a great scent for going to a party/club, I wouldn't need to worry about reapplying at ALL, I think.

This? Is GOOD.

I recently got an imp of Saturnalia and was totally turned off vetiver; in the Blood Kiss imp I could smell the vetiver and it was worrying me a little, but it wasn't too strong and there were lots of other scrummy scents in there. Predominantly deep dark cherry.

On me, the slightly rotty note of vetiver fades, and this becomes really quite foody without being at all light and sugary (which is how I usually do my foodie scents.) It's still cherry, but a very deep, lush, black cherry, not like candy at all. There's something, probably the mingled vanilla and honey, which is making me think of buttery pastry desserts like cherry tarts (it's really not buttery though, just very rich) and then there are dark spices and just a touch of a green note that make the whole thing totally unique.

This will definitely be a bottle purchase. It's awesome.

Honey and musk rarely fail to do it for me. Add in the cherries, clove, and vanilla and I'm sold. This is a great blend. It alternates, through the day, between a dark cherry to a spiced honey, with the vanilla, poppy, and vetivert balancing everything so beautifully. It's very dark, raw, and overtly sexual. I think a bottle may be in my future.

Hmm. This took two wears to get a solid feel for, though I fell for it on the first wear.

The "nots": the clove doesn't speak to me of Christmas, nor the spices not of headshop incense. The honey isn't the same too-sweet, milky note from Bengal.

This didn't do one of those large changes from wet-to-dry on me, so --

Overall impressions: Dark spicy resins; sharp but smooth and warm. My darling musk, a coppery thread of clove, and vetiver tempered by the sweeter scents, complex and sexy. Perhaps the cherries, poppy -- I get almost the faint smokiness of opium, but not quite -- and wine give the depth and consistent darkness to the scent; it does feel a dark bloody red, even fading. Sultry and very warm; I want to bury my nose in my wrists, the crooks of my elbows.. SEXY. Apparently I need to investigate more dragon's blood scents.

Wow! I tried this before, and liked it more than my friend who ordered it, so she gave it to me to hold on to or sell. I just tried it again, and wow!

In the imp, this was pointy cherries and honey. I wasn't sure about putting it on, but I decided to try it anyway. . .

I want to lick my arm a lot. The earthy vetiver is comforting, and the cherries are smooth and juicy. The honey and vanilla sweeten it, while the cloves are pointy and yummy, and the whole thing is just gorgeous!!! :P I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Blood Kiss! Thou art sweet and dark and sexy. And very red :D

Blood Kiss...

Imp: sweet cheery and red wine, with a hint of honey and spiceyness in the background.

Wet: what a difference! Now I smell mainly cloves and can't pick any other particular notes out of it, although it is a lot deeper than just the cloves...

Dry: after 20 mins it hasn't changed much, maybe the cloves have just died down a little, but I still can't pick out any other notes.

Verdict: this is another perfect example of the difference that skin chemistry can make. On me this becomes a very well rounded scent with the cloves the only note I can pick out. It is smokey and a touch spicey with warm dragons blood like undertones. A bottle will certainly have its place in my collection one day :P

Pendragons rating: 3.8/5

This was the oil that taught me about vetiver and what it smells like. It was yummy in the imp--cherries, clove, wine...but the minute it hit my skin it smelled like DEATH. The vetiver took over and cancelled out all the other pretty notes. I was crushed. But it was a valuable lesson.

I am wearing Blood Kiss today and I can't stop sniffing my arm! I love the way it smells...sexy, spicy and sweet! It really lasts a long time on me, and boy, a little goes a long way! This was my first big bottle purchase and I am very happy with it. My bf loves Blood Kiss as well...so much that I catch him borrowing it! I don't mind, it smells good on him, too. :P

I wasn't able to like this one- the scent from the bottle stabbed my palatte, and it recoiled from my natural skin chemistry- I sent it to a friend in CA and she said it's fantastic.

I was a bit sad, as this was a perfect example of the skin and scent just not mixing well.

This really surprised me.

I definitely got the honey and musk, and they blended beautifully on my skin.

Of the scents I've tried thus far, this one has the most staying power, for sure.

Oddly, this gets really smoky on me. But it's a good smoky, very sexy when combined with the sweetness of the honey.

I really liked the combination of the clove's spice, the honey's sweetness, the sexy musk and the way that it goes all smoky and lovely on my skin!

Blood Kiss

In vial, quite nutty. On skin, nutty with musk. The nutty scent is quite strong, it reminds me of peanut butter. This is strange, I wonder if its the combination of honey/vanilla with poppy. Honestly, it's hard for me to get beyond that association. I can detect a faint hints of other notes, but really, what I mostly smell are sweet nuts.

[2 - Dislike] When I think of peanut butter and jelly, I don't think of vampires. And when I think of vampires, I definitely don't think of peanut butter. Yet, that's all this makes me think of, disappointingly.

I like all of these notes, but this combination is overwhelmingly sweet. Honey has its own musky smell, amplified by more musk in here. The cherry-clove swirled in like some kind of cough remedy (with a booze note, to boot.) It's that head shop like "generic BPAL" scent of the box/shelf where you keep all your oils together.

I just got mine today, and I must say that I was afraid of what I'd gotten myself into when I first took off the cap and sniffed. I'm no perfume oil connoisseur, so I connected that smell with "old lady", like so many inexperienced buyers do when they can't recognize certain scents.

However, I put some on my wrists and proved myself wrong. At first it was dark and spicy (probably the cloves at work), then the sweeter notes began to peek through. As of now, I smell like a medley of red wine, cloves, sweet, creamy vanilla, and something rather sultry I can't seem to identify...

Note: Late in cycle. Imp straight from the Lab, but about eleven months old.

In the bottle: I am not sure what vetiver smells like, but I am getting something green, and musk, and poppy, I think. Cherries.

On me: There's the honey & vanilla. They're all I smell now. I didn't smell them in the bottle. At this point, it seems like it could become too sweet before long. I have yet to smell the clove, or the wine, really. As I type, the honey is already backing off. I am smelling a green sharpness, now. The cherries are gone, I think. It seems to be going light & crisp.

1 hour+ later: Now I've got the honey & vanilla, plus some green crispness, and a faint hint of musk. These last two keep it from being too cloying. It doesn't have a ton of throw -- or I've just gotten used to the throw -- and it isn't as dark as I expected. It's rather mild, and personally I like it, though it wasn't what I was expecting.

Edited by Gaidig

My First Review!

In the imp: The cherry hits me right away, along with something sweeter. It reminds me of cherry cordial candies with a wine note peeking out in the background.

On me: The strength of the cherry fades and I start to get worried because a powdery feel replaces it. It's not bad, but I'm not sure if it's working for me.

Dry: The powdery overtones are gone, and a very warm musk comes forth with the vetiver and makes me feel a lot better about this one. To me it feels cozy yet subtly sexy. I'd consider a full bottle of this one, but it's not something I need to rush out and get. I'd say about 7 out of 10.

In bottle: honey. Honey right in the honeycomb.

5 min: the vetiver starts coming out.

20 min: cloves coming out too, vetiver stepping back a little. Still very definitely honey.

35 min: Honey with a touch of vanilla, and an undertone of clove and wine.

1:30: Vanilla with honey and *very* faint cherries and cloves.

2.5 hours: Honey's getting stronger, vanilla's still there. Faint hints of clove.

Overall, a lovely warm sweet smell, worth keeping. I wish the midpoint of honey clove and wine had stuck around for me, though--that had some lovely dark notes to it that really built on the constant honey sweetness.

L&c,

F

imp: vetiver drenched musk.

wet: vetiver. this smells more smoky than usual, sweeter too. but the only thing that i can pick out with certainty is vetiver.

dry: sweet, almost carmelly, vetiver. of all the scents that have vetiver in them, this one is the smokiest and the one that reminds me most of the halloweens of childhood.

Hmm...this one grew on me after about 5 attempts!

At first I went like this :P It's the Red Wine note that makes me turn my nose up. It does die down though and explodes into a GORRRRRGEOUS blend indeed!

The more I smell it the more it reminds me of one of my favourite BPALs ever. Sed Non Satiata. It must be the musk/honey similarity, it's thick, lucsious really strong and I've had 2 compliments already today!

It's definately got that nutty undertone that SNS has. And I'm thankful that none of the booze is apparent in the dryer stages.

If you want something very sexy and musky! Try this. WINNER!

Edited by ouch!

in the bottle: cream and hazelnut, with a dark undernote of something sinister i can't name.

wet on skin: i'm catching little whiffs of the cherry, but it's buried under the hazelnut/cream so that i only get it once in a while.

dry down: the cherry recedes further, leaving me with a hazelnut/vanilla combo that is to die for. :P

in all: SO glad i went with my gut and bought the 5ml bottle!!!

Blood Kiss starts out as a honey-cherry scent, which lures me in before I realize that there is a bit of clove and the dark, sinister vetiver finish. I find this simultaneously alluring and dangerous. It's such a complex, intoxicating scent.

I had high hopes for this one. I wanted to love it.

Vanilla? Honey? Cherry? Dark wine? How could I resist?

Unfortonately, the vetiver and musk notes make this very perfume-y and overwhelming on me, similar to my mother's Opium which I could never wear. This is definitely a scent for a bolder woman with a stronger body chemistry.

When I opened the imp of Blood Kiss, I immediately hated the way it smelled in the bottle. The vetiver and musk made it smell too strong, and though there was a hint of a promising spiciness underneath it was too muted to tell what it was.

On my skin, from a distance it smells very bitter and almost plasticky. Not pleasant. With my nose right up against my wrist, I can smell a lovely honey and sweetness but its not strong enough too even out the bitterness.

Im gonna give this another shot, but I dont think that this is one that I will be able to wear. Its a shame. Im pretty disappointed, but its probably just my skin chemistry. :P