Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

Origin: Frimp in a decant circle purchase

Initial Thoughts: Now that I look at the notes, I don't see any immediate death notes. I'm not necessarily fond of booze notes, thought.

In the Imp: Very rum and very almond-y.

Wet: The honey erupts, sweetening everything up. It's very foody, but I've dipped my toe into the foody direction over the years.

Drydown: A super-sweet and boozy cake.

Verdict: It's not as bad as I suspected given other experiences with booze notes, but probably not something I would wear. Off to a better home!

At first, I'm getting lots of almond, which I do like a lot. Pretty soon, something sweet and nutty comes out, and it's now more foody, though it was more of a juicy almond/cherry foody before. I liked the beginning stages better. Dry it's a bit too much butterscotch and nuts, something I don't really want to smell like.

In bottle: Almond dominant, with strong mead and rum support. The butter cream is ubiquitous, tying it all together. The hazelnut is soft, but distinct. Wet: Much as in the imp, with dominant almond. The butter cream is stronger than in the bottle, if anything. Dry: Mostly honey meed and rum. Yummy.

I was gifted a bottle of this recently from a friend who bought it and didn't like it. It's... okay. Fades very quickly, which is sad given how amazing it is during the wet stage. I like almondy smells and hoped this could be my go-to almond blend but I don't think so with this one. The search continues!

Not usually a rum/food/nut fan but thought I'd give this a try. In the imp sweet sweet rum mixed with marzipan. On my sugary rose marzipan with woody polish hints.

Very sweet and flowery. Not what I expected. It's very girly and pretty.

In the imp...candied fruits...cherries...

On wet...warm, candied fruit, very cherry (my brain is convinced almonds are made of cherries).

Dry...the warm qualities of this blend come out here, with a sweet, nutty base. The candied fruit smell is strong, almost like those plastic tubs of fruit cake fruit. Ya know, it actually smells kinda fruitcake like on the whole, with the nuts and almond and rum.

It's nice, goes a little playdoh (first one that ever has) on the drydown.

Love it in the ill, but not enough when it's on. Swaps!

HELLCAT

Blind test of the last imp in the box.

In Vitro Boozy... plastic?

Wet Boozy sweetness and slight plastic but pleasant spice underneath. Throughout the wet phase it exhibited a dual nature: nice up close, but a nearly nauseating throw.

Drying As this dried on my wrist the sickly component diminished but remained as an unpleasant note in the mix. Twenty minutes after application the overall scent was better, and moderately strong. After an hour it had faded to a nice spicy scent with a bare hint of plastic if I inhaled deeply. Many hours later there remained a very faint sweetness and no plastic smell.

Upon seeing the list for Hellcat I was surprised this wasn't worse. I now strongly suspect that it's not alcoholic notes per se that go Lovecraftian on me, but the combination of booze and any of BPAL's dairy notes - buttercream in this instance. The end stage was nice but not worth enduring a stink cloud to get there.

Wet: Sweet almond extract. It's verging on cherry territory but I think the other notes are keeping it in check. Very wet and potent without being overly strong.

Drydown: Still mainly wet, sweet almonds but with a layer of buttercream folded in. The butteriness is emphasized for a bit and then it settles back down. I can now identify the sweetness as coming from the honey as it has that glowing, cloying quality that honey has.

Dry: Honey-drenched almonds with a touch of booze lurking in the background. These are all rather intense notes yet somehow this blend is much more subdued and smoother than I had expected. I was expecting it to be a disaster on my skin but it’s actually behaving quite well. Not bad.

6.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

In the imp: Smells like almonds and alcohol...I like it!

Wet n my skin: Wow, it smells like almond paste - yum!

Dry on skin: The almond fades away leaving behind a sweet honey-like spiciness. I can't pinpoint the scent, but it reminds me of cinnamon without being "cinnamon". There are no cinnamon notes listed in this, so maybe what I'm smelling is the combination of the rum and honey mead.

I really like this scent, but the throw is very low; it just may be my skin chemistry though. My epidermis does have a tendency to eat some oils :( If I were to get a bottle, I'd probably use it up quickly as I'd re-apply often.

I really wanted to like this, but it's nasty. Maybe I just have an old decant.

In the bottle: Bitter almonds and something else?

Wet: Ewww still bitter and alcoholic.

Dry: Slightly rancid buttery dust, with a side of bitter.

Nope nope nope nope nope.

(This was a second-hand imp, i.e. presumably aged!)

In the imp: holy shit, sugar! The honey is definitely there, along with the bite of the almond & hazelnut.

Wet: Very warm, almost spicy. Pleasantly boozy.

Dry: Yes, it's sweet - but it isn't cloying. The nuts and booze give it some bite; delicious velvety boozy marzipan (in fact it's striking me most like marzipan-coloured velvet!). It's got enough throw for me to get occasional pleasing whiffs of it, but not enough that I feel overpowered. Definitely a keeper, and I'll need to get more of it!

Starts off as extremely sweet marzipan that morphs to a spicy mixture of rum and almond liquor. As it dries, it smells strongly of potpourri, and hints at Christmas. I was hoping the booze would stick around!

I was nervous about this one, because normally any trace of almond turns cloying and gross on me. In the imp, I don't like Hellcat - it's all sour cherry, which I'm assuming is the almond factor.

But once I put it on, the hazelnut and buttercream and rum take over. It's sweet and warm, almost like a foody candle, without actually smelling like something I would want to eat. It reminds me of a hot alcoholic drink with all the sharpness of the alcohol totally removed - for some reason the boozy factor is almost undetectable on me. I get hints of cinnamon as well - not Red Hot candy cinnamon, more like a trace of cinnamon in a cookie.

Okay - Hellcat is as close as you can get to a hazelnut sugar cookie dipped in warm spiced rum, without making you want to eat your own arm. I really like this one!

Bottle: Warm hazelnuts and honey

Wet: Heavy honey, VERY SWEET

Dry: I cant seem to pick up anything other than honey. It is a beautiful honey though, not the kind from the honey bear bottle. This is honey from a honeycomb chunk, sweet and deep with a bit of earthiness from the wax.

Evokes images of: Classic Winnie the Pooh and the oddly creamy-gold honey he must smell like since he rolls in it all the time. Seriously, why is honey that color in the cartoons? I don't think that color even remotely resembles honey...but it does look good, haha.

So, I received an imp of Hellcat in the mail today and had forgotten what it's supposed to smell like.

I rubbed some on my wrist and smelled it: to me, it smells EXACTLY like cherry tobacco used for smoking sheesha!

Not really my thing, but I know there are a lot of people who like the smell of cherry tobacco and for them Hellcat would be perfect!

In the imp: Almond. Syrupy sweet.

Wet: Cherry almond, like very nice Jergens lotion.

Dry: I’m getting cherry or almond blossom. Despite there being no floral notes listed, this goes floral on my skin for a couple of hours.

As time passes and the oil warms on my skin, the booze and honey notes emerge. I don’t ever detect the hazelnut.

I would have loved for the wet cherry-almond phase to stick around. I will try this in an oil burner as others have mentioned above.

First I smell lots and lots of almond with a spike of hazelnut. It reminds me a bit of a certain pastry that is filled with almond paste and eaten around December festivities here :)

After it dries down it becomes a golden/brown comforting smell. The honey comes more out and blends with the rest. It is a bit what i hoped that Bard smelled like.

Super sweet, but I like it!

Hellcat is very nice. It's nutty, buttery rum, with what smells like an overlay of dry, hot spices. It's golden-brown, rich, and creamy. Sexy and rich. Idk if it totally suits my personality, but it's a great scent! Would definitely consider a bottle.

Edited by applecider10

I have no idea what is going on here, but it might have something to do with a slightly stuffy nose and the fact that I've tested something like 20 scents today. Something in here smells like fish. It isn't aquatic at all. It's fishy, like the counter for cleaning fish at the pier. I'm going to have to pass on this, even though the notes sound great.

In the bottle: Sweet almond, a little foodie-nuttiness, and an odd sour twang in the back of my nose.

Wet: That's the sour twang - it's all balsamic vinegar and almond extract on me.

Dry-down: it's mellowed to a really fruity balsamic vinegar, all sweet and sour, with a weird undercurrent of mead. All in all, I find this rather odd.

In the imp: Oh. My. God. Exactly as described by the lab. I desperately want to drink this - I won't, because I'm not stupid, but man do I want to! It smells like the most luxurious, hedonistic, alcoholic dessert (or cocktail) you could imagine (yes, even without chocolate)!

Wet on skin: Can I just eat my arm? The hazelnut & almond amp first, then the buttercream, & then the booze. About the same as in the imp, only sweeter & a little less boozy. Amazing!

Dry on skin: The notes have all blended together in the most heavenly way! So decadent & intoxicating!

After a few hours: Slightly more faded & a little sweeter than before (more buttercream, less booze), but still gorgeous!

Verdict: This is NOT a daytime scent for me! This is a scent to be worn to a bar for a night of creamy cocktails, or to a party where there will be a lot of alcohol & sweet foods. Anywhere where you're expected to indulge & not behave yourself! I LOVE this, but it's too intense to be something I can wear too often!

Honeyed almond with LOTS of sugar and booze. Where has all the rum gone? Right into this here blend. I can't detect any hazelnut.

Too sickly sweet for my tastes, but I can see foodies all over this.

In the imp it smells buttery and dessert-like.

First applied, it is a clean scent like linden blossom/dryer sheets though with a kick, because something reminds me of cinnamon and musk. 

Edited by icecreamcone

I've always wanted to try this but I always assumed it wouldn't work with my skin chem. Puddin' ended up frimping this to me in a recent BPTP order so I gave it a whirl and omg this is so good. It's basically sweet, boozy marzipan smeared with honey. There's also something that smells woody in the background, which might be the hazelnut. It smells thick and luxurious but it doesn't have an overwhelming throw. Nothing is going powdery or sour or plastic like I feared. I think a bottle may be in my future. :wub2:

In the imp: Butter rum. Yummy.

Wet on my skin: This is what butterbeer from the Harry Potter books should smell like. No wonder all those wizards loved it so much.

Dry: As this dries, it goes from warm butterbeer to honey mead and pastries topped with almond flakes and buttercream icing. I want to eat myself. I'm so hungry now. This is a wonderful scent and I love it, but I'm not going to be doing my waistline any favours if I wear it when I'm hungry and have access to sweet things that are more edible than my arm. :P