Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

Very fruity!! This stayed very fruity and sweet for a long time.

Imp: Erm... I'm not sure. It smells heady and boozy and very foody. It's kind of making me nauseas in the sheer foodiness of it.

Wet: Nice. Cockaigne with hard liquor.

Dry: Sort of a warm, spicy molasses. It's okay, but my skin did turn it a bit dusty.

Throw: Good.

Overall: Eh. I'll keep my imp for winter and when it's gone, it's gone.

Expectations: Almost too sweet and rich, like a box of assorted chocolates without their chocolate coating.

In vial: Boozy and sweet, with a sharp tone that is probably from the almond, but initially registered as cherry.

On skin, wet: All of the above, with added spiciness and an unfortunate hint of smoke.

On skin, dry: From afar, it's lightly sweet and creamy. If my nose goes anywhere near my wrist though, it's all bitter smokiness which is absolutely disgusting.

After time: 25 minutes and it's sticking with the bitter, musty grossness.

Conclusion: This is such a disappointment. It wouldn't be a wicked bite without the aspects I'm hating, but I failed to imagine how that delicious combinations of notes could turn so vile.

Hot buttered rum .. butterscotch lifesavers .. needless to say the Bf looooves this scent . I dont find it as wearable as I'd hoped . But in an oil burner its divine.

I don't usually do foodie, boozy or sweet scents...but I had to try. I love almonds.

In the vial I get sweet almonds, almost amaretto. Then a creamy note. On my skin I can still smell the sharpness of almonds, but now it has been joined by the honey and rum. I hate honey mead as a drink, but the lab blend for it is nice. As it dries down, I begin to lose the almonds though and get pure honey. To me this is sort of a "Christmas office party" scent. A bit soft, a bit wicked...it's a pleasant combo. However, true to my nature, it's too sweet and boozy for me to wear on a regular basis. I'd have to give it a 2/5, I wish the almonds would have stuck around.

Probably off to the swaps, but my mother is eye balling it...

In the Bottle

This is my dream scent! I've been looking forward to trying this since I saw the description, and it's gorgeous: yummy almondy hazelnutty boozy caramelly goodness-- so decadent and pretty and warm strong-- I want bath oil of this! Why do I only have one tiny imp of it! SO UNFAIR!

On Me

What happened, Hellcat? We had a beautiful beginning, and now this?

No sooner than the impstick touches my wrist, and Hellcat morphs. Into something more like Polecat. Seriously, it's gone to musty, strong-as-anything old lady perfume. (I'm not one for Chanel No. 5 at ALL, and that's what this has done. Turned into something resembling THAT.) There's this foul bitterness and it's so strong, even after washing my hands, I can still smell it. And it stays like that for a LOOONG time.

I wound up swapping my imp with a friend-- Hurricane didn't work on her and Hellcat smelled lovely on her, so we traded. I'll admit, I had that heartfelt regret that you get when looking over old pictures of your ex-- every now and then I opened the imp, just to have a sniff of the glorious warm nutty goodness that sadly wasn't to be on my skin. This one was a true heartbreaker.

That said, I gained valuable insight from the whole experience, just like one often does after a failed relationship-- never EVER fall in love or completely dismiss a BPAL because of what it smells like in the bottle! Seriously, I was practically salivating for want of more Hellcat when I first smelt it, and the actuality of Hellcat on my skin was making me regret those thoughts something chronic.

And I KNOW this works for other people and they and Hellcat get along. Since it does smell so lovely on others, I can't even be sad or bitter about it-- but tragically, Hellcat and I weren't meant to be.

Im a bit stuffed up so this might distort a bit but at first I got all alomnd which I abhor but once it dryed this was wonderfully sweet and suprisingly for me not so foody that I wouldn't wear this out to dinner or something....not a daytime scent. I think the mead keeps it less foody jsut enough for me.

This is really rather foody, and slightly spicy. Like Yankee Candle's Home sweet home. It smells really good, and as a room scent this would be the perfect kitchen type smell, however I'm not sure its really 'me'.

In the imp and wet it is just almond. It then then gets much spicier and creamy, and really really sweet.. I smell like boozy syrup.. Yummy

Source: Frimp from the Lab

I love all of the individual notes in this blend and thought that I would love it because of that. In the imp, it reminds me of marzipan, which I love. However, Hellcat ends up being a bit too foody even for me, and I usually love foody blends. The almond is delicious, but is a bit too sweet and cloying and becomes even more so after wearing it for awhile. Overall, it's a lovely scent, but it's a bit too sweet for me.

Lab frimp with my last order.

In the imp: creme brulee/burnt sugar plus marzipan.

Wet: strong burnt sugar (yum!) and almonds, plus rum.

Drydown: sugar and almonds.

Not as spicy as Cockaigne, but the same vibe. If you like the sweet foody scents, this one is for you.

Edited by Czarina

IN THE IMP: Woah, very strong almond and rum. Heady and boozy. Almost too rich and sweet for me, and I'm a huge fan of foodies.

WET: Okay, the initial blast dies down a lot. It's still very sweet, but it's calmed down, and the almond is much more subdued. It's very warm and sweet and spicy. Like a Yankee candle or something.

DRY: Just really warm and sweet and spicy. Quite nice. :P

Mmm. This is so yummy in the imp. Creamy hazelnut and sweet spicy rum. I'm a foodie, so this is right up my alley.

Mm, there's something a bit naughty in this that keeps it from being too saccharine sugary sweet. Warm and delicious...oh man, I am falling in love. The only downside of it so far is that I've noticed a bit of a prune-y undertone. It's not terrible, just a bit odd. Also, I wish the rum was toned down just a bit, because I lose a bit of the nuttiness as it dries down.

Overall, this blend has made it's way to my wishlist. On full drydown it loses those odd notes, and is just rummy creamy yumminess.

In the imp: Fruity? Honey and rum I think. There's a bit of sweet almond that I can tell at once.

Wet: Straight up rum and honey, with a hint of that almond again. The buttercream and hazelnut are, I think, what's giving this scent a musty and dark overtone. More like coffee....

Drying: I'm getting a bite to it now, kind of bitter. I'm guessing it might be the hazelnut and rum combo. Not a bad scent but a bit thick and musty for my liking.

Dry-fade: The buttercream is getting much more prominent, but there's still that darkness to it. It's not too bad now, and it's quite a nice scent without being too foodie, but I think I'm going to let it age a while first.

Edited by amnerine

burnt caramel? is it patchouli? some kind of incensey smell. def. some kind of spicy cinnamonish something underneath. *reads* hmm. that is the rum. as for the burnt caramel -- i guess almond just doesn't work for me as a note :P

All I can smell is almond in the imp, so of course this scent is going to be trouble on my skin. And...it smells like cheap cherry votive candles, waxy, fake cherry, with a hint of potpourri. No.

Wet in imp:

sweet nuttiness

Wet on skin:

pure nuts

Drydown:

boozy nuts with butterscotch

Wearlength:

fading fast by 4 the four-hour point

Final impression:

Did I mention it smells like nuts? I like the smell, but I don't believe I'll be wearing it. Maybe a comforting room scent in the fall or winter.

In the Imp (wet): This is thick, creamy and sweet. A syrup of decadence.

On facial cotton (dry): This scent is very similar to Cockaigne, but not as sweet or heavy.

On me: While its honey and sweetness is almost like Cockaigne, it has a wilder twist of unbridled strength and freedom, which I attribute to the mead and rum. The throw isn't very far, but the scent definitely has strength and last. This is one of those scents I would only wear when the fancy strikes me.

OMG i love this !!!

Got it as a frimp, so going to get it for next order !!!

On me its like vanilla burning. It's like someone made a cigarette out of vanilla almonds and honey mead and butter cream lol. I don't know about the rum...

Like something sweet and cheeky, but hyponotic and incredibly decadent crawled out of the flames :P

Hellcat

In the bottle this smells way more foody than I expected. Smells like cherry, almond, and something sweet, buttery and rich. I do not like foody scents so this is :P for me.

On me it smells like buttery cinnamon almonds. I can see this working out really well for someone who likes sweet, foody scents but it is just not me. This is one of the few imps I received that I can't see myself hanging on to; wayyyyyy too sickly sticky sweet for my taste.

I got Hellcat above all for the reviews that said it smelled like the Home Sweet Home candle from Yankee Candles--my favorite candle smell of all time. And I wasn't disappointed... that's EXACTLY what it smells like on me (after a rather weird start when it's wet).

In the bottle: Buttercream frosting with rum.

Initial application: Weird! Frosting... and butter... and... is that marshmallows? A slight almost-floral scent emerges... almond?

After a while: Very sweet, but not particularly foody. Like a scented candle (Home Sweet Home, as mentioned above). Sweet, tart, a little sharpness and just a hint of mild spice.

Overall impression: I love it! Not sure if it will appeal to anyone else, but I'll like the way I smell when I wear this! :P

Sweeeeet. Almost reminiscent of a country store [you know the type, with Yankee candles and wooden home decorations, wreaths and collectibles] wax melts or potpourri -- sweet and homey.

I can pick out the almond, rum, and buttercream.. almost a hot butter-rum scent? But oh LORD is it too sweet and foody for me to wear.

I expected this to end as Gluttony did for me: in disappointment. Gluttony turned into nothing but caramel on me, and I worried that Hellcat would go the same route.

But no, Hellcat stays true to itself on my skin. I get hazelnut first and foremost, which makes me really happy because I adore hazelnut. There is some sweetness here, and I can identify the buttercream and the mead notes, but they're secondary and by no means dominate this. There's maybe a faint hint of rum in this, but it's far from boozy on me.

I'm surprised and pleased by how not overwhelmingly sweet this is. There's nothing cloying about it on me, and it's really a very light, beautiful scent... kinda refreshing. Definitely a win.

When I first opened the imp I was assulted by almond meal. Pure almont meal and nothing else.

Unfortunately it stays almond meal even on me and I just can't stand it. I does not agree with my nose or my skin sadly.

To swaps it goes.