Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sharkdiver

13 Hours

"You have 13 hours in which to solve the Labyrinth…before your baby brother becomes one of us…forever."

A scent of profound foreboding: dusty black stone, dried rosehips, black moss, and creeping ivy.

Out of the 5 Labyrinth scents, this was my least favorite, though I still liked it quite a bit, so that is really saying something of how amazing these blends are!

This one is definitely "airy" and the "stone" is definitely present - The ivy and stone are the strongest notes, though every now and then I was catching a whiff of roses - which must be coming from the rosehips. It's extremely well blended, and a really great representation of the stone Labyrinth. This actually evokes a scent memory for me, of it being wet and rainy outside while sitting on a stone wall waiting for the bus to school when I was a kid! crazy!

this will probably be my rainy day scent - since it captured that SO well!

out of 5 stars: 3 (but that's mostly just personal preference)

ETA: I've been wearing this 2 days in a row, to really get a deeper feel for it, since my initial test was done while watching Labyrinth and testing the other 4 blends as well - I actually DO really like this blend a lot more than I originally thought; this one was an herbal almost masculine, but still unisex feel to it, that is softened by the rosehips - It warms up a lot the longer it's been on my skin, and doesn't have heavy throw, but just enough - someone would have to come close like for a hug or something to get a whiff of it, rather than it filling my office with it's scent. I think I'd bump this one up to a 3.5 - 4 out of 5 Edited by sharkdiver

In the bottle, it's moss and ivy. Wet on my skin, I get those and the rosehips. This is greener than I thought it would be. Drying, I think the stone is starting to come through. It's not something I would wear every day, but I like it.

In the vial this is just like its description and I love it. Stone and moss with a little ivy and rosehips. Wet on my skin it stays the same, a really great atmospheric blend evoking the labyrinth.

As it dries the rosehips come out a lot. I have a history of amping rose notes, so I think that's just my skin chemistry.

This has great throw and lasting power. I plan to wear it in my scent locket to get more of the stone and moss feel. It's lovely!

First off, I want to say that the main reason I ordered a decant of this is that I LOVE the stone note in Black Opal. I hope that one and this one are the same note, and I hope it's awesome.

Wet: Dirty flowers rolling in a dryer sheet. Really? Ugh. Maybe it's mothballs, not a dryer sheet. It seems like it's getting more pungent by the second. Something about this is really, really foul.

10 minutes: Okay, whatever that horrid nastiness was is starting to resolve. Now I'm getting old roses covered in dust and... something. I'm not really familiar with the ivy note, so that's probably what that other note is.

Dry: The rose hips amp up even further, and at this point it's all roses and dust. The best word I can use for the scent at this point is "boring," sadly. This one's not a keeper for me.

I believe I am amping the stone note in this. I was hoping it would be like Black opal's as well and I think that they may be similar, but not the same. This is very cold and somewhat sharp on my skin, where black opal was cool and more gentle, maybe from the vanilla. I am getting all airy stone, no rosehips (thankfully since I was worried about them), no moss, no greenery (maybe aging will bring those out for me). It smells very crisp and almost masculine, but not so much that I can't wear it. A very interesting blend.

ETA--I could still smell this the next morning (great lasting power) and now it smells like a slightly dusty white musk. I really like it.

Edited by heartlilly

wet: powdery rose and ivy.

Dry: I am amping the bejesus out of this stone note. Powdery rose flows in and out of this scent but it is definitely stone. It reminds of me of the stone in the Iganok Jewelers perfume. Except rosier. Off to the sales page with thee.

Initially this is a strong, sweet rose hip scent with a faint bit of dryer sheet. The dryer sheet almost disappears and I'm left with the smell of an old trunk crammed full of rose hip jelly and dried rose hips. Also there's some stone. This is simple but very pleasant. The rose hips are the most predominant note.

There's the tiniest similarity to the Halloweenie Salon La Mort. It must be the rose and myrrh.

Note: I'm trying this on a sweltering day, so it's probably stronger right now than it would be in cooler weather.

13 Hours starts out interestingly incensy and ends up as a oakmoss dominated scent. Quite a resilient scent, long lasting. While I had this on I couldn't smell anything else in my environment. Powerful!

This was an odd but compelling scent--like many others, I was hopeful for a Black Opal type of vanilla stone note, but it doesn't smell much like Black Opal to me. It does have a cool, stony, inorganic quality, but mixed with a green, dry vegetal scent and a hint of rose. I liked it, but couldn't quite picture when I'd ever be in the mood to wear it.

It smells like a rich person's sitting room. Forreals, it does. The rosehips are leaning kind of lavender-y to me, but I do smell ivy and, through some devil-magic, stone. I was afraid this would go to powder and icky florals, but it doesn't! It's actually very calming and pleasant. It would be an excellent rainy-day scent or would work even better as a room spray. No foreboding detected.

This one really does smell like someone bottled swirling shadows from the goblin castle. Something incensey here reminds me of--dare I say it?--Formula 54.I think there must be clove somewhere, possibly in that dusty stone note, because I tend to amp clove and I bring it to the forefront as this begins to dry down. Something like F54 with rosehips instead of that cherry note that hangs around in the beginning. Along with the clove, rosehips are also pretty prominent in the wet(ter) stage. As it keeps drying, the clove and rosehips recede a little and something cold and stony reminiscent of Night's Bridge comes through. I think this is the work of the moss and ivy along with something else unnamed in that stone note. I tend to lean towards foodier clove blends, but I must say this is highly evocative of what it's supposed to bring to mind.

Edited by Invidiana

Wow, how did Beth DO that? Stone in perfume form...intriguing.

Anyway, in the imp and wet on me, it is mostly rose hips and ivy. I was thinking, "Oooohhh lovely..." And then the stone came out to play. Wow, yep, that's stone all right!

When it's dry and it's had time to sit awhile it's pleasant - rosehips and stone, slightly sweet, but pretty masculine smelling on me. I'm going to make Chris try it, I think it'll smell delicious on him.

In the bottle: A musky, masculine, sexy scent is what I get on my first whiff of the bottle and I immediately try to get more of it. I think it is mostly moss, with a bit of ivy. I don't know what the stone smells like (or I can't make it out yet) and I can only sense the roses as an afterthought if I really focus on trying to find them.

On my skin: Mmm, more of that delicious musky goodness on me. It has a very greeny quality to it which I love (I am always looking for a green BPAL scent that doesn't immediately turn to incense on me) and I just can't get enough of it. I am not sure if it is the moss or the ivy that does it but this smell is heavy and dark and green and love, love, love.

Drydown: It settles down as this deep, musky scent that reminds me a bit of a gothic clothing store and musky soap and clings to my skin like a layer of dusty moss. I really like it.

This is almost exactly like the XNIA2 prototype.

Lot's of wet stone with a bit of ivy. It translates into a musky slightly masculine scent for me as well.

If you like this XNIA2 and Iganok Jewelers also feature this 'stone' scent.

Stone (which to me smells a little like black leather, which is a note I amp the HELL out), hints of ivy and moss.

Okay, so to me, 13 Hours is actually is like a scaled down version of DeSade. I get the stone/black leather as the prominent note, and its a dark, masculine sexy blend. There's a slight whiff of rosehips now and then, just enough to soften it. If DeSade was a whip, this blend is more like the leather glove.

Based on the reviews, everyone seems to be having a bit of a different experience. Which just adds to 13 Hours's oddity.

In the vial, it's screamingly ivy and rosehips. On me, it's screamingly rosehips. Sigh. I'll give it a chance to develop that stony note, I was hoping for a more herbaceous Dungeon Crawl, picturing stone arches overhung with ivy and moss... We shall see. It goes a bit dusty and I get more oakmoss and ivy and I can just barely make out the stone. Sadly, not for me.

In the bottle, this smells like very sour roses and dry, earthy dust.

On my skin, this is dark, masculine-ish, sour, dirty and strange. It reminds me of a soiled barn smell (almost like smoky vetiver - cigarette smoke, hay, leather and feces :/). And it's very strong and intense. :sick:

I wound up scrubbing this off after only about fifteen minutes, which is rare for me. This is definitely going in my top ten of least favorite bpals.

Edited by Little Bird

I was looking forward to trying this, as I love Night's Bridge. This one however, smells watery and aggressive, like 'angry' stone if there were such a thing. I get a touch of leather here to, but it's a masculine, dry leather. This is not me, it's kind of bitter and masculine, definitely dark and watery cold. Blech.

to me 13 hours smells like a bundle of assorted incense sticks (uburned). that is the overwhelming feel for me. when i sniff more carefully, i do get a sense of stone (vaguely aquatic?) and dried botanicals but mostly i think it just smells like generic incense which is really appealing to me for some resason.

A deep, dusty scent of light rose. It has a faint grounding element of something damp and musty-dark. I'm assuming that would be stone and moss.

I amp rose, so this scent is almost entirely old, dried out rose on me. A very mysterious scent.

dried, crumbling roses and ... what feels like a brown musk. inoffensive, but not really something that's all too very *me* something in the back of my head tells me i once had a (VeryExpensive) lipstick that smelled rather like this.

Now that's gorgeous. :wub:

In the bottle-- rose hips and ivy. Rose hips have a distinctive sugary creamy rose smell and I don't find that they ever go soapy. Absolutely heavenly mixed with the sweet green ivy and the undertone of damp moss.

It's funny, I never realized ivy had much of a smell, but I can pull it out quite easily, and instantly get memories of rummaging through the ivy covered walls in my backyard as a kid looking for tyedyed eggs on Easter. :) stone+moss +ivy. This scent has it perfectly. It makes me incredibly happy.

Wet on my wrist, creamy rose hips, mmmm it smells like my favorite rose tea with plenty of cream and a hint of honey.

As it dries the greenness of the ivy shows up more and the wet moss amps and blends. To this point I hadn't actually gotten much stone but there is this dark dirty dusty talcum like note that must be the stone. It smells exactly like dirt and glittering stone. Pretty incredible.

It continues to morph and the rosy sweetness dissipates into the background, leaving mossy damp stone with a hint of sweet rose hips. I can still smell the creamy sweet rose in the air around me though, but when I press my nose to my wrist, it's dusty stone. O.O crazy.

I love this. Really a beautiful and haunting blend. It does evoke images of being lost in that incredible labyrinth for hours. Instant favorite.

This was my least favorite from the Labyrinth blends but I still really enjoy it for those certain days.

It really does smell beautiful in the bottle with the mix of creamy almost powdery rosehips and the herbal quality of the ivy that at times can pass off as soap on some people. It doesn't turn that way on me though and I really love the smell of ivy anyway.

The moss and stone give it that desolate feeling and it's haunting. A little gritty and a little earthy but still backed up with the greenness of ivy. Toward drying down on me that "dampness" that the moss and stone bring out stays with me and idk but I feel like the sharp part of the blend reminds me of something like Shattered....... Like broken glass. The rose still is present but it's almost faded completely into a softened whisper. I like it but like I mentioned it is only a blend for certain moods with me.

So I got a decant of the 13 Hours prototype.

And now i'm sad.

Because the prototype works much better with my skin chemistry. I get luscious tobacco/clove on the drydown (on wet, vetiver definitely let its presence be known) and now I just have some sexy tobacco/clove going on. In some ways, it reminds me to Voodoo Queen. UGH.

I now want this. BADLY.

I find this to be quite masculine.

I don't get any of the rosehips, ivy, or even moss really. I think what I'm mostly getting is the "stone" note, which actually smells quite aquatic to me. I quite like, and think it would smell really great on a man, it's just not something I want to wear. I am really happy to have tried it though.