BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Fairy Bites

"It bit me!"

"What did you expect fairies to do?"

"I thought they did nice things.

Like — like granting wishes."

"Shows what you know, don't it?"

Osmanthus and raw honey with lavender, chamomile, white peppermint, raspberry, honeysuckle, thyme, bergamot, and Dracula orchid.

This is stunning! It has a very ethereal feel, as you would expect - I think this is acheived through the balance of floral, fruit, and white mint. The mint isn't strong, but it's there just enough to pick up on, and to take the "bite" off of the floral and fruit. The florals that are in this, as just downright gorgeous - not cloying funereal flowers by any stretch! I also can pick up on the sweetness of the raspberry. This will be an awesome springtime scent!

out of 5 stars: 4

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Fairy Bites is lavender and white peppermint, and I think I'm getting thyme and chamomile way in the back. Drying, raspberry and a whiff of honeysuckle start to come through. This is very nice.

This starts with a generous bite of peppermint, but don't judge it so easily. After the initial clearing of the nostrils, the peppermint slowly but surely backs off and reveals a playful, candylike combo of tart fruity raspberry, sweet honey and gentle florals. The raspberry and honey especially amp over time, and something about it ends up reminding me of The Confectionary. It's going to be great for those hot summer days when I want something sweet and refershing at the same time.

Wow, this is looking (or smelling :P ) to be the first minty BPAL that I really like!

I will say that the mint is strong in the imp and upon application, but it does soften up with a little time. The rest of the notes seem really well blended to me, I'm having trouble picking them out individually. But, if I close my eyes and inhale, I think I'm getting mostly sweet raspberry and honeysuckle. The overall impression is 'sweet' with a bracing and refreshing cascade of white peppermint in the background.

Quite different from anything else I've tried. I could see myself reaching for this one on hot summer days. It's lovely!

Hmm, all I'm getting is lavender, no fruit and florals whatsoever. :huh?: There's an occasional whiff of something biting and cold--I take it that's the mint--but nothing else. There's a bit of soapiness too, making this a clean lavender, like I just stepped from the shower after using lavender soap. Pass.

This is really fantastic, and I am kind of meh on lavender. This is blended so that the lavender mixes with other flowers and something high and sweet? Fruit? But then mellows into a strong softness, if that makes any sense.

The mint in this is much like the sweet mint in Mad Hatter. This is full of win.

Wet: lavender, peppermint, and sweet bright things!

10 minutes: Okay, it's cute and fluffy and bright, but I think it's already disappearing.

Dry: Yep, it's gone. My skin ate this one in under 20 minutes. All I can smell is something vaguely plasticky where it was, and that's only if I put my nose directly over the application site.

Wet: Get it OFF me! I knew chamomile would behave like this one me - I just knew it :(

Slightly more dry: Ergh, someone used a Pine roomscent to cover baby diapers :(

Dry and calmed down: It's...a miracle has happened - the diapers have gone away, the mint is mint, instead of a plastic pine-forest imitation, and the flowery stuff is getting rather pleasant. I would never, ever put myself through the wet-stages again though, this one will be swapped.

Funny, I've never had such a violently anti-reaction to any Bpal before. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

Lavender is the predominant note here, but it's a delicate, herbal lavender tempered by chamomile. The white peppermint is somewhere in the background, giving this a very ethereal feel. A year or two I wouldn't have given this scent a second glance, but my newfound love of lavender has me reconsidering things, and I really like this. It, like its kin in the Somnium series, would make an excellent "getting ready for bed" scent on nights where you need a good, long, deep sleep. That said, I was a bit sad that the honeysuckle and raspberry didn't appear for me. Maybe as it ages!

In decant: minty, but soft, with a pleasant herbal mix: lavender, chamomile, and a bit of honeysuckle. Quite pleasant!

Wet on skin: the mint is very soft, subdued, with a pleasing sweetness to it, with the herbs wafting about. Now I'm getting lavender and thyme most of all. It's very well-blended. The mint is fading every so slowly as the blend dries.

Dry: soft herbal, with only a hint of mint, but it does retain that coolness. The raspberry has also come out for me now--the sweetness mentioned before has a definite "red" tinge to it, but it doesn't push this blend towards the fruity side. Definitely more like an herbal blend with a touch of red, raspberry-ish sweetness. Sniffing this maybe thirty minutes on, something is giving this blend a "grandmothery" feel for me.

Verdict: I was a little on the fence about this blend, but the grandmothery note that pops up here does tip this towards the "really nice, but not for me" category. Otherwise it's definitely a very pretty blend!

A very pleasant blast of minty lavender at first that calms down to a really lovely floral. The bad part is that it keeps calming down until nothing is left.

Color me severely disappointed with this one! :cry2:

Wet I get that overpowering blast of fresh lavender, just like everyone else!

Once it dries it calms down to a really fresh creamy almost citrus smell - I guess its the raspberry but I wouldn't recognise it as such. It really reminds me of Monsterbait Bigger Critters once its fully dry. I don't know if I want more but I might.

Very ethereal! I get lavender, hints of honeysuckle and orchid, with the white peppermint giving it a cool feel to it. I get whiffs of raspberry on the drydown.

Not into ethereal blends, but this one is definitely GORGEOUS! Definitely one of the prettiest scents I've smelled in a while, and I would think would be great for a wedding.

Let me start by saying that I HATE lavender and somehow managed to miss it in the notes when I ordered my decant. That being said, I really like this scent!

It does start off with a blast of lavender and what I'm guessing is the chamomile. The peppermint steps in after a few moments, but this doesn't smell at all like candy cane peppermint. Once it's been on my skin for a few minutes it's just this gorgeous slightly sweet, slightly herbal scent. It's very hot here today and this is the perfect oil for the weather. Not my style at all, but I think I'll have to get my hands on a full 5ml soon!

Right off the bat, I am hit with the lavender and chamomile, after the mint follows soon after. Very botanical and spa-like. Wet, the lavender is rather medicinal and the tingly peppermint is right behind. The herbal thyme is creeping in too but it's very light. Ultra relaxing. I like this way more than I thought I would since lavender can be really tricky for me.

In imp, minty and herbally and lavender-y! I definitely like this at first sniff. Hopefully it behaves on me. Wet, lavender and herbs with some sweetness underlying. The first impression is definitely lavender and herbs. I'm getting little to no mint :( And it quickly muddies into indistinguishable floral/herb/powder. I blame the chamomile. I know my skin chemistry doesn't always like it but I had hoped the other notes would keep it in control. No such luck.

Loving the subtle peppermint. This is really, really nice. It's so evocative of all that fairies adore - sweet meadows, soothing herbs and magical, blooming flowers. I wish that it lasted a little longer on my skin because it does seem to fade very quickly, but those first few minutes - gorgeous :wub2:

This is all honeysuckle and florals on me. I love it. It's sweet and lovely! This fairy does not bite me, unless it's a love bite~!

Fairy Bites starts off as herbal lavender and herby, slightly bitter smelling chamomile. I was worried about the peppermint, but I'm not really getting any mint from this one. And I was hopeful for the raspberry note, but I'm not getting anything fruity either. On my skin, this quickly settles into a warm, perfumey floral with dry, herbal undertones. I guess the floral notes are amping up on me.

ITI:I get honey first, than wonderfully soothing peppermint, followed by a little osmathus and chamomile. I remembers not liking this right when I received it, so aging for a little over two months has really helped it.

Wet: It smells like peppermint and chamomile tea with a dash of honey. It’s rather soothing at this stage.

Dry: It’s such an innocent sweet, raw honey with a subtle hint of peppermint and lavender (very light).

Fresh floral and lavender at first, quite nice, but nothing to write home about. Dry, this fades into almost nothing. I'd like this if it didn't fade so fast, as I do love a fresh kind of lavender. Oh well.

In the imp: Reminds me quite a bit of Schrodinger's Cat, actually. Mint, citrus and lavender.

Wet: A herby, citrusy floral. Very pretty.

Dry: A complex and somewhat ethereal floral with citrus and herb elements. Nice!

OOH! smooth, sweet, wild honey with a nip of dried lavender buds and peppermint! the herbs (thyme, chamomile) really give the otherwise sweet scent a nice bite. the lavender dominates but is tempered by the sweet, delicious honey. i like fairy bites more than i thought it would and can see myself wearing it a lot in the springtime!

Holy shrubbery! It's like plants fighting each other in an indoor nursery! . :cry2:

Fairy Bites is the one that sadly confirms my suspicions that I should not wear green or herbal scents. On some people I'd imagine this smells wonderfully ethereal and feminine, calling to mind fairies, sprites and wood nymphs frolicking in an evergreen wood.

In the bottle: To my nose, it's a rush of green plants but that very young raw bitter green you get when you cut a leaf open. I was hoping to at least pick up the chamomile and raw honey but I can't amidst the bitter herbal notes.

Wet on my wrist: I get the very green stem of raspberry leaf, but not the fruit. After a few minutes the thyme rears it's herbal head.

Dry, I get a little lavender...but not much and it's soon gone.

Six hours later: Time for a shower. It has turned extremely bitter and very strong. Now I'm reminded of the plant feed my Mum would use when I was helping her to water the garden.

Oh boo, I'm sad this one doesn't work on me.

So lovely!

In the bottle: Lots of mint, with a subtle background of lavender. (I don't usually like lavender, but this somehow works for me. It's soft, not at all sharp or medicinal - like a whisper of lavender.) I think I can smell the chamomile in there, too.

Wet on skin: Sweet, light, herbal. The mint mostly fades until it's only there as a subtle supporting role - it lends coolness to the blend, but the honey and raspberry are the standout notes.

Drydown: There's the honeysuckle. Still sweet. Kind of cool and refreshing - would be great for summer. It's VERY light; I have to put my nose right up against my arm to smell it. Will have to try slathering and see what happens!

Verdict: I really like it! Got a bottle as a Christmas present, had never tried it before but was pretty sure I'd like it. Glad I was right :)