Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Goblin Cider

A dark, earthy ginger cider.

Oh Gosh! Where do i start?

Upon application, the visual memory and smell of grapes pomace hits me in the nose along with the fizzy ginger!

As the oil slowly evaporates, a vanilla creme custard note develops joining the sparkly ginger, which looses its potency. It's an unexpected combo, but i can't say it's bad. Still unsual, but long-lasting!

Yum! This smells quite similar to a slow cooker apple jam I had made. There are definitely some darker spices in this cider, smells of ginger and cloves to me. It becomes more apple-y as it dries. Very tasty, delicious apple cider!

This is such a really nice almost fermented apple, ginger cider both in the bottle and on my skin. A tiny bit of cinnamon (that is what my nose smells at least) emerges but it's just in the background giving it a little extra kick of spice. I really love it for Autumn.

This is all ginger, fruit & fizz on me. Maybe a hint of molasses that melds well with the ginger. Fun & just the thing for a rainy day!

Wet: As described! A strong, earthy, gingery cider. The cinnamon blooms shortly after.

Dry: Spicy and a bit fruity. Most of the apple fades on me, as apple often does. I do like this, but I have other similar blends that I like just as well or better, so I won't be getting more.

Decant: very very earth. Vetiver earth and the sharp heat of ginger
Wet on Me: Ginger!! Oh Hai Ginger!
Drying Down: Totally getting ginger kinda cinnamon-y cider. A lot less of the vetiver type scent.
Dry: This sharp bubbly ginger-y apple-y almost cinnamon-y cider. Kinda Cool. Also smells like something I would want in an atmo spray or candle!

In the decant: That’s some earthy, ginger apple cider, all right.

Wet: It feels weird to be testing this in the summer. One whiff of this and I am already longing for autumn! At first, predominantly like apple cider with some ginger in the background, but the ginger note seems to be getting stronger as it sits on my skin. I’m reminded a bit of Lambs-Wool without the presence of spices like cinnamon. I have sensitive skin, so I was worried this might burn and leave welts, like Dwarven Ale, or be too heavy on the spice like Autumn Cider, but I haven’t experienced any burning so far!

Dry: It still smells like cider, but the ginger is more prominent now, and now I think there is cinnamon at play here adding some extra spice. I keep thinking like there’s some waxy red apple peel involved in this, so maybe my skin chemistry is doing something odd with this and trying to pull it into candle territory.

Verdict: This is a nice autumnal GC! I don’t need more of it because I vastly prefer Lambs-Wool, which doesn’t have an odd quality to it on my skin. I am really glad I tried this one, though!

Oh vetiver, just stop it already. Ohh, okay thanks. Yep, at first it was a blast of vetiver, and I wasn't a fan. Thankfully it recedes to the background as a grounding note to these apple but mostly ginger notes, like an Extra Extra strength Reeds Ginger Brew (a strong, rooty natural ginger ale). I really like it! Hanksite went a bit dusty, old school ginger ale on me, while this went strong and dark.

I agree with Mag, it's a fun scent. Perfect for late summer and fall road trips to the countryside, maybe hitting up country stores and eating locally made apple donuts and going on a hayride. It really is nice for any season, though. It's always a good time for a good, natural ginger brew tonic. Also, it has great throw and wearlength. I'll be getting a ton of mileage out of this!

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This is absolutely Vetiver Cider, which I wasn't expecting (I just got excited and didn't study all the former reviews before buying!), so when I plopped this on my skin and smelled my beloved vetiver amidst a buzzy punchy cider, I was THRILLED! I think your enjoyment of this will entirely depend on your opinion of vetiver. I love it, and not surprisingly, Goblin Cider absolutely sings for me. This vetiver is smudgy and smoky but not harsh or gritty. Smoked is the perfect description for how this cider turns out. I can smell a smoked apple, a smoked ginger, smoked cinnamon and mulling spices. But the earthiness is 100% thanks to the vetiver.

The blend has a beautiful medium throw to it. It is bringing autumnal vibes hardcore, and is way different than my other cider blends (Autumn Cider, Spiced Autumn Cider, Fearful Pleasure, and Lambs-Wool). The vetiver and the ginger seem to corrupt the apple really thoroughly until it is hardly recognizable. So if you're not typically an apple fan, don't rule out Goblin Cider. However, this is for the spice fans and the vetiver fans. It's not too fizzy, but there is a zing high in the nose that reminds me of ginger beer. So if you love ginger beer, here's your scent.

I had high hopes, but wow this exceeded them all! I wish I had tried this way sooner, just like Hoggle. Permanent place in my fall collection, and another squee for a permanent blend available for purchase on the site. Slather away!

I would wear this while: eating apple cider donuts in front of a bonfire. Have I ever done that? I have not. Has this scent inspired me to do so? Yes.

Goblin cider, my beloved. This was one of the very first full bottles I obtained, and it continues to please. Wet on the skin, it is spices, especially ginger, with just a little apple sweetness. On the skin, it the apples bloom. The apple note is the exact smell of apple picking very late in the season, when rotten apple strew the ground and ferment. The spices are very much still present when dry, but they seem to get deeper and spicier. It is a very autumnal sent, but not a bad choice for something cozy and just a LITTLE sinister for winter.

Earthy, spiced, sweet fermenting apples with lovely ginger. I love the lab's apple note so I felt confident in purchasing a bottle, and this does not disappoint! It took me a few hours to understand the scent entirely - bubblegum, then banana candy... a whiff of rubber/latex? And then finally my nose sorted itself out and Goblin Cider bloomed dark, dusty and spicy-sweet. I would love to drink this! But I will refrain, as it would poison me.