Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Goblin Cider

A dark, earthy ginger cider.

This was the other blend I was most leery about trying, since I really didn't care for punkie night or Lamb's wool (I never tried the autumn cider blend from this last round of weenies, so I can't compare it to that) - that being said, I LOVE this! The ginger and the spices are an amazing combination, and it has that zesty zing! that just makes this so refreshing, yet it really seems like it will be something I will definitely want to wear all the time in the fall. It has a great throw too.

Out of 5 stars: 4 :wub2:

This is like Punkie Night and Autumn Cider's darker cousin. I can definitely pick out the fermented apple from the beginning, and while there is definitely ginger there it isn't a sharp blasting ginger, just adds an element of warmth to the blend. It makes me think of hard cider and dark beer mixed together with brown sugar and spiced just so. Delicious.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Goblin Cider is just apple cider. As it dries, the ginger starts to come through. This is good, but definitely more of an autumn scent.

This was the winner of the bottle arrivals today, and from first sniff catupulted itself into my top ten!

Nommy fermented Apple cider with heady ginger and probably other spices. Tremendous throw, a little goes a long way (in the Jack category for that!). Delicious, and making me crave the hard Apple ciders I drink in the fall. So glad this is general catalog, I will be buying this often!

I am not sure if it is just my freakish chemistry or what, but on my skin I swear there is something smoky in here. Some sort of vetiver or something which is really prominent on me. I smell sweet apple and other spices, but they are mostly hidden behind that smokyness. The apple/sweetness comes out more the longer it is on, after a few hours or so which is promising. Hopefully the smoke will calm down with a bit of aging, because the apple part is beautiful (and what I was most excited about trying).

I didn't think I'd like this one so much. Ginger can sometimes smell like a cleaning agent on me, but this smells more like dried ginger. Dried ginger, something earthy (tumeric?), and some other spices I can't pick out. Anyhow, the cider note is wonderful and I want to eat my arm right now.

Very autumn scent, now that I think about it, it reminds me of Blue Pumpkin Floss, but that was more cinnimony, and it turned into a candle like scent.

My skin chemistry does something completely wonky with this one, and what I get is very sweet and spicy--I'm definitely getting ginger, and kind of an underlying baking-spices feel without having another specific spice I can pinpoint. This is where the wonky part comes in: all of this lovely warm spiciness is overlaid on the same kind of earthy bubblegum vibe I get from The Lion.

I'm happy to have a spicy cider scent I can finally wear and enjoy, I can see wearing this a lot come fall. =)

After Autum Cider worked out great on me (which i discovered after it was taken down :( ), I thought this will be simular.

Unfortunately something in this is very off on my skin. Does someone else gets soapy?! There is something soapy in there. I blame the ginger which seems to create an "off-scent" on me :cry2:

Other than this it is pretty simular to autum cider.

If my skin wouldnt turn a certain part to soap, it would be the perfect autum cider replacement.

3/5

In the bottle this one seemed really promising. Tart green apples and gingery spice stand out to my nose.

On my skin it just morphs into a the general scent of a Yankee Candle store. So very much not my thing. However, it does last forever.

This was like muddy molasses and cinnamon with a hint of rotting apple in the bottle. On me, though, it went rich, warm apple immediately, with just a hint of ginger. The cinnamon is coming more as it dries. I can even smell the apple seeds. This cider has been mulling on the stove all day, filling the house with its dusty apple spice scent. Yum. I bet I could wear Three Witches with this one. I am delighted that this is a General Catalog scent. I will be buying some when I have the budget to do so.

Wet, I got the impression of a ginger root, maybe still with dirt on it, which has just been cut open. The ginger is so fresh and spicy it tickles my nose. It has that woody smell of a fresh ginger root.

Then the cider picked up, and for a brief while the ginger went a little disinfectant on me. Eventually it settled down into a cider-ginger mix, not particularly sweet.

I'm not wild about cider scents on my skin (love as room scents, though) so this isn't a bottle purchase.

In bottle: oooo! I wish this were a real beverage! It does indeed smell like ginger cider. It’s fizzy real ginger beer scent about coequal with a hard cider scent. Wet: The ginger is now stronger and the cider less alcoholic. There is still fizz, but it’s more understated. Let’s call this mildly carbonated ginger beer with a touch of apple. This is the best the fizz note has ever done on my skin and paring it with ginger is pure genius. The ginger and apple play really well together. Omnomnom. Dry: mostly ginger with hints of apple and fizz.

On me, this is a warm, lovely apple cider with a touch of fizzy ginger beer. It's a really nice autumn cider scent, but it feels a little odd to be trying it in May.

In bottle: oooo! I wish this were a real beverage! It does indeed smell like ginger cider. It’s fizzy real ginger beer scent about coequal with a hard cider scent. Wet: The ginger is now stronger and the cider less alcoholic. There is still fizz, but it’s more understated. Let’s call this mildly carbonated ginger beer with a touch of apple. This is the best the fizz note has ever done on my skin and paring it with ginger is pure genius. The ginger and apple play really well together. Omnomnom. Dry: mostly ginger with hints of apple and fizz.

It almost is a real beverage! In the fall, if they sell it near where you live, look into Angry orchard Hard Cider in the apple ginger flavor!

http://angryorchard.com/#!/apple-ginger/

SO YUM!

This smells like the booziest apple cider known to man. Like, almost "someone threw some tequila in the apple cider" boozy. There's also a very sharp ginger note here. In general, BPAL's cider scents can be very hit or miss on me. I loved Lambs Wool and the cider scent from the Sleepy Hollow series, and Autumn Cider went cloyingly sweet on me. It's hard to tell one way or another what this one's fate will be. Some scents take a few months to settle and shift into their final forms, so I think I'll be re-testing this in the Fall.

In bottle and wet on skin, this smells EXACTLY like apple Nutri-Grain bars, or those apple filled biscuits (google tells me the US version would be like apple Fig Newtons). Seriously uncanny and kind of off-putting, but the pastry-ness fades off a lot on drydown and after 15 minutes I'm getting a warm spiced apple scent with the ginger hiding among the other spices. I'm going to have to deathmatch this with Autumn Cider to see if I need a bottle.

Sweet and spicy and warm. Quite yummy! Definitely an autumn scent. After it's been on for a bit, I get some fizziness and some darker tones that make me think more of ginger beer than cider. Not necessarily a bad thing! I think I'll stick with Lambs-Wool for my cider needs but glad this is GC in case I need something cider-based.

In the decant: Boozy, fermented apples. A hint of spice, but not specifically ginger.

On skin, wet: Pretty much identical to in the decant.

On skin, dry: Still pretty much the same.

After an hour: The apple has gotten more prominent and the spice settled down a little. This is actually what I'd hoped Autumn Cider (which turned into a cinnamon single-note on me) would smell like. I really like it, but I'll have to deathmatch it with my other apple scents to see if it's really different enough.

Edited by lohengrin

So, this one caught me off guard. To me, it has a dark, planty banana smell especially on wet, and as it dries I get more apple booziness like in Autumn Cider, but its more mellow like apple MASH cider from Lamb's Wool.

Throughout all this ginger is MIA.

On the other hand, it totally has that fall/autumn apple thing going on. And if you have a hankering for that and it's not autumn, there's GC equivalent ready to fulfill those needs.

I'm a huge fan of ginger-scented things. And this one is fantastic! On me, its very fresh sharp ginger, like its just be cut and grated. Its mellowed out by something dark and dirty smelling. Absolutely perfect!

I'll be getting a bottle of this!

At first, this smells exactly like Juicy Fruit gum, which some fruity scents sometimes interpret on me. Dry, no more gum, but spices, mostly ginger with a bit of cinnamon and a touch of juicy fruit. Twenty minutes in, a bland, slightly spicy scent, no trace of apple, and it's almost gone on me. For something that started out so strong, I'm surprised that it disappeared so quickly. Not for me.

To me, this smells exactly as described. It's a dark, sweet, cider-y spiciness with a small hint of ginger fizz at its core that gives the scent a bubbly lift. I'm not sure why it smells dark to me, because it's tons of sweet spices, but it's somehow a bit dark and spooky smelling on me. I'm glad that I got this bottle for the fall/Halloween season, as that's what it feels like for me. I'm also pleased that it's a heavily spicy scent that doesn't give me a headache or smell like red hots cinnamon on my skin. Very nice.

This is a very light and pleasant scent on me - gingery cider with just a hint of booze. It smelled really boozy in the imp, but mellowed out nicely once I put it on. It's a little bit fruity and sweet, but not so much that it goes into "autumn potpourri" territory. I don't know that I'll be needing more of this, but I'm glad to have tried it.

I love this at first- the ginger is awesome!! But the dry down has this funky note... it smells exactly like the note that ruined Tiki Princess v3, and J-Horror for me. Weird.

Huh. I'm surprised there are so few reviews for this so far. I guess this one is relatively new? Oh well, I'm adding another. :)

In the bottle: Ginger brew/soda. I'm not quite sure I would call it cider (I always associate cider with apples, but I guess it's that fizz - and I could probably pick out an apple note if I tried hard enough).

Wet on skin: Similar to before. Gingery, with a bit more apple (I might be tricking myself into thinking that, but still). The sweetness present is apply, rather than fruity. This is very pleasant.

Dried down: Same. This is a fun, fizzy scent. I think I may have finally found a great ginger scent for me,where the ginger lasts all the way through.

Throw: This seems to have very little throw on me. I get a hint of sweetness (apple) around my head, but in order to get the ginger, I have to sniff my wrists.

Verdict: **** I am glad I got this. It's a fun scent, and I hope it stays around for a long while. It's not as complex as Jareth, but it doesn't really need to be. Plus, Labyrinth! :D