Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Hoggle

"I ain't never been no one's friend before."

Fermented pumpkin, brown leather, dust, tobacco leaf, and dark woods.

In the imp: Sweet honeyish pumpkin mixed with dusty, dusty tobacoo. Kind of turns my stomach, tbh - the sweetness is too sweet and the dust is too dusty.
Wet: Yup. The dusty-leather-tobacco note is stronger once on my skin.
Dry: The dusty element overpowers the sweet pumpkin on me ... and then it gave me an allerigc reaction. WTF, body? I wanted to be friends with Hoggle but it just isn't happening :(

i think that this smells like a hobbit hole. where gandalf has visited recently. it smells like a hearth and multiple good things to drink and maybe flint. in the bottle and fresh it is of course very buttery foody which gives me the wiggins but the moment it dries it is really good. it is not like a perfume in any way but very organic and with the wood i think actually a little dark - a little connected to real faery homes or maybe badger's home from wind in the willows...

In the bottle: butteyr pumpkin with dusty leather

Wet: BLAST of pumpkin then WHAM dust, the leather creeps in and I even feel a touch of the stone from the labyrinth

Dry: You can smell the fermented-ness of the pumpkin which makes it very evocative and keeps it from drifting into candle territory. Tpbacco and dust are grounding here while the pumpkin wafts swirling around.

The only pumpkin scent i have had before was Samhain (and the pumpkin never came out in that for me) I'm delighted to say that with Hogle, I have become a dedicated pumpkin convert. I am so pleased that the rest of the decants i have coming are chock full of pumpkin. ^__^

I initially stayed away from Hoggle as the notes made it sound much grittier and more masculine than it really is. Thankfully, it dries to sweetened pumpkin with a hint of leather in the background - much friendlier and wearable than I thought it would be!

There's a noticeable alcoholic note right after application, but it doesn't stick around on my skin for more than a couple minutes. The leather can be a tad strong up close, but the general wibe of the scent is sweet, easy-going and comforting. I'm really liking this!

Wah.

I love Hoggle. I loved this oil in the bottle with all it's pumpkin-ness and leather. I loved it when it was wet and smelled just like in the bottle.

When it dried on my skin it was all woodsmoke, which I do not love, or even like :(

No Hoggle for me.

huh I haven't reviewed this one... Well I got it when it was released cus hello pumpkin my love

I amp dust. This was the scent that made me realize dust, dirt, earth anything was a total pass. In the bottle gorgeous rich pumpkin. I adore it to no ends. I put it on and all I could smell was muck. The leather was the note I was worried about since leather is also an amper on me but nope I didn't even smell the leather because the dust turned into a fracking mudslide and buried me in grossness.

I still have my bottle {actually an imp or two in bottle cus the kind decantress knows I am both a pumpkin lover and a bottle art hoar} and sniff it every once in a while for the yum-o but every time I retest just in case age helped I am forced to wash it off. Le Sad

Wet: Lots of typical "pumpkin spices" but with some grounding earthy and woody notes. Sweet caramel-ey tobacco. YUM. I typically don't like pumpkin or pumpkin spice type scents, with only a few exceptions, but I am adoring this. That earthy quality is EVERYTHING. I can smell the dust too, and just a hint of leather, and it's really rather glorious. If this dries the same as it has started, there will be a bottle in my future. Also - why do I feel like I smell coffee in this?

Dry: This is seriously awesome. I do smell coffee. And tobacco, and spices, well worn leather. Just the right amount of pumpkin (but it's not buttery - pumpkin is often buttery on me and not nice). I really like this, and am thinking about adding a bottle to my Autumn rotation.

In the decant: Syrupy sweet fermented pumpkin, brown leather, what I believe might be caramel-y tobacco, and perhaps the dust from Misk U.

Wet: The sweet pumpkin and brown leather dominate, but the scent was actually sweeter in the decant than it is on my skin, because the brown leather is more prominent on me. After those notes, I get the tobacco leaf, which adds a little smokiness to the scent, and I’m somewhat reminded of the Trading Post’s Pumpkin Tobacco candle (although this is sweeter and has less tobacco). As it dries, I get a bit of the dust note, which does remind me of Misk U.

Dry: The sweet pumpkin continues to reign, followed by the soft, brown leather, the tobacco leaf, and the dust. After a while, I get the dark woods in the background, and the coffee vibe some of the other reviewers have mentioned. It’s like the Trading Post’s Pumpkin Tobacco and Misk U had a baby.

Verdict: I thought this one would be far too sweet for me, but it’s actually a lot more pleasant than I thought it would be! I don’t think I’d reach for this over other pumpkin scents in my collection, but it is nice, and I’m glad that I decided to give it a chance.

Wet: Leather and deep, earthy woods.

Dry: Smelling just a tiny bit of pumpkin now, but the dark earthy woods scent is overpowering it. The leather has stuck around as well, but not as intense as the wet stage.

I like Hoggle. It starts off with a blast of pumpkin, cinnamon and other spices (slightly burns, not too much) with dark yet dry backing notes. Then dries down to a Fall spice version of No Man is An Island: dark, woodsy, tobacco with a nonoffensive leather that supplements without taking over (not new car smell, just soft). I don't get a fermented vibe, plus the pumpkin doesn't stay around much, at least not fresh from the Lab.

This is great. I'm kinda wishing I tried it years ago, but grateful it is here now. ❤️ Great throw and wear length, a dab will do you. Gender neutral for sure.

For fans of Antikythera Mechanism and No Man is An Island 

I love Hoggle, and I often forget. I’m the wet phase it’s strongly sweet buttery sticky syrupy pumpkin that dominates. Quickly enough, leather and tobacco come swooping in like Robin Hood to bring balance back to the world, and it’s simply delicious. The dust and the woods emerge when there’s more breathing space for them, drying out the pumpkin effect even more. While the foodiness sticks around, everything remains pretty balanced on my skin. I feel rugged and snuggly, like I’m sipping a hot Autumn drink and watching an old western. 

I need to slather this more often, especially with the weather shifting cooler! Hurray for a badass Weenie-centric GC! 

Edited by artisjok

Wet: I was not expecting this to be cloying.  Super sweet and tingly on the skin.

Semi-dry: I wouldn't say rancid bit this is a little sour now--not sure fermented pumpkin or wet brown leather.  I don't think this likes me and I'm feeling similarly about it.  

Dry: tobacco, spice, wood.  Arm is still tingly.  This probably smells better on a dude. 

When it's wet, the sugary pumpkin is the strongest note. But it dries down to a lovely woodsy, pumpkin, and tobacco scent. I can't smell any leather or dust in this, but I think it's fantastic the way it morphed on my skin. It's foodie but not as much as other scents, so this could be more wearable for those who don't like a lot of gourmands. This oil screams autumn ! It's very close to the skin on me however, which is a shame. 

This is my favorite of the Labyrinth scents I've tried so far. Gonna hold onto my decant and will keep an eye out for a bottle!

Hoggle smells like a classic biker gang stopped at IHOP for all you can eat pancakes on a crisp autumn morning.

Crisp leather and pumpkin syrup 

How have I only JUST NOW tried Hoggle? Swoon!

The easiest way to describe this is Pumpkin & Leather, the Weenie counterpart to the recent Yule release Gingerbread & Leather (Ho ho ho: black leather, gingerbread, clove, and tobacco). And while I dearly hope that ACTUAL scent is released this Weenie season, Hoggle is damn near perfect already. It is a dirt-streaked, lived-in sueded leather, accompanied by a pumpkin that is fermented to the point of smelling like mushrooms to me. If you were wondering what the heck fermented pumpkin smelled like, my impressions are not beer or fizz but mushrooms and gourds in a field! Those are the dominating notes here, and I don't have anything else quite like it in my collection. Escape from the Autumn Carnival would be the closest thing, and that one is more grassy/sweet.

There is a touch of hidden sweetness to Hoggle too, just like the character. The tobacco brings the spice, but I think it also may be French tobacco because of the slight (slight) caramel sweetness here. Usually that can sabotage a scent on my skin but here I think the rougher elements keep that one in check. A slight suggestion of incense is probably the dust + dark woods, and I'm here for it! Dark woods sounds a little scary (teak and mahogany are both no-gos for me) but just like Hoggle, they are all bark in the name and no bite in the blend. They are a subdued atmosphere, no identifiable single wood for me, and definitely neither of my death note woods. It could be oud, just a much softer and muted oud compared with the Pumpkin Musk & Black Oud that I love.

Hoggle is the perfect unisex option for fall or winter days where you want something cozy and pumpkinish but also a little roguish and devious. It's easy to love and easy to wear, especially when you're not in the mood for anything too foodie but still want to bring all the autumn vibes. I really love my bottle and am so happy to slip it into my fall box of scents. I'm also thrilled that it's a permanent blend so I can slather at will!

I would wear this while: doing any and all fall/spooky activity