Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Jareth

Ethereal lilac fougere and gleaming leather with ti leaf, tonka absolute, white musk, and oudh.

I'm echoing Lit Chick's above review... Though this is less sexy and more ethereal to me. Leather present but behaving and working well with other components before vanishing... Dry down is straight white musk. To me, this is more reminiscent of David Bowie on the Heathen album cover art and less like Jareth.

Definately from the same family as Dorian, but much more masculine. Dorian's older, less foppish, more straight-laced yet kinky brother. It becomes a very fresh after-shave scent, bright with citrus, but grounded in soft leather. This isn't the punch-you-in-the-nose leather of Whip (for example) - it's more like a suede scent. It smells like the flogger of a dark, sensual Dom.

... I'll be in my bunk.

I had serious reservations about Jareth, after reading all the reviews comparing it to Dorian, because Dorian HATES me. I can definitely tell similarities between the two fragrances, but Jareth doesn't go nasty on me like Dorian did.

It's still too masculine for me to actually wear, but it isn't bad at ALL, and I really do like the leather note in this. Another one to make Chris try.

I'm not sure if this smells much like Dorian, but it matches my memories of the scent. Sadly, Dorian turns to burning tires on me. This doesn't. There's plenty of soft vanilla (tonka absolute). It has a fresh/gleaming edge that suggests green tea or metal accord (not as sharp as it sounds.) That must be the ti leaf. Underneath that, there's a faint floral and even fainter leather. The leather note is neither sharp nor chemical, just a very soft brown leather.

The vanilla and white musk are comforting and the fougere lends a bit of freshness, but this isn't something I have to have.

When wet I get a refreshing cologne, but as soon as it dries I first get a whiff of very strong leather and then it settles into something half medicinal, half like a very savoury spice scent - it smells of one of indian cooking spices that's rarer in the west, I just don't know which one (my partner has a very extensive spice rack but he's not around to ask). The trouble is, while I'd be happy for my kitchen to smell like this, I don't want it on me.

After a couple of hours it has finally mellowed into warm vanilla and tonka, yes quite reminiscent of Dorian, but I don't want to wait that long for the good bit.

I had to try this on several times before I could write my review. Once again, Jareth was one of those scents that smelled amazing on me when I tried it at will call, then different when I got my own bottle. Much sadness.

I have to agree that Jareth seems like a blend of Dorian and Villain. Like a more mature version of Dorian. Very classy, and well balanced. However, when I got my personal bottle, those notes vanished quickly and I ended up with mostly leather. Dammit! >.< After a long while, the leather fades into the cologne scent. I may have to let it age or just wear it in my hair.

What I especially like is that it's not an overpowering scent at all. It has strength to it, but you don't recoil at its potency.

This is similar to Dorian, but I think I like this one better! ;)

Less sweet with a bit of leather. The leather gets a bit stronger as time goes on, but thankfully it is the kind of leather that works on my skin! Kind of a cologneish leather, but better than cologne. Slight lemon tinge.

I need to douse my SO in this! Nice!

In the imp, this is like a drier Dorian with added leather. Wet, the tonka shows up, which to me gives it more of an ethereal vibe. There is also something sharp about this. I think it's the ti leaf woven into the leather. It's definitely better on me than in the bottle. Although it's a little too masculine for me, there is something about this that I kind of like. It screams confidence and mystery, which is basically David Bowie in a nutshell. It's one of those perfumes that although it isn't me, I know I'll be secretly snatching an application every once in a while, because it is just that intriguing.

And about ten minutes into this, I am totally getting oudh, which is making this even better.

I've had a crush on Jareth for YEARS so I was uber-excited about trying this one :wub2:

The verdict? GORGEOUS!!!

Definitely and absolutely the twisted sibling of Dorian. When I first sniffed it in the bottle, I thought it smelt *exactly* like Dorian, but upon wearing it, that delicious dark side is revealed with subtle leathers and musks. Oh to be Sarah, breathing this in as the Goblin King swirls her around that poisoned-peach ballroom fantasy scene. I need about a billion bottles of this. Perfect!! <3

Lilac, slightly cologne-y but not overwhelmingly so. I love the smell of lilacs. My great-grandmother had a huge lilac bush in her yard that my mother took a cutting from to grow in our yard when I was little. Lilac always evokes happy memories to me. As it warms it becomes leather, well-worn leather that has molded to the wearer's body, with vanillic overtones from the tonka. It's utterly gorgeous, just like Jareth. I, like many of my generation, had a huge crush on him :wub2: I absolutely love this to death and I need vats of it! It's got a slightly smoky sense to it, perhaps the ti leaf and musk. Perfectly blended and amazing.

In the decant: Men's cologne, or aftershave. Off to a bad start. x.x

On skin, wet: Same as in the decant. Ack.

On skin, dry: Pretty much still the same, except a tiny bit of warmth from the tonka is showing up.

After an hour: This finally smells more like a darker, more masculine Dorian like so many other people have said. Sort of like if someone mixed Dorian half and half with aftershave. This phase is tolerable, but not even close to good enough to make up for the straight-up-aftershave phases.

Edited by lohengrin

Wet: This smells of something we call salmiak here. I googled the english translation of it but all it seems to come up with is Salammoniac. :huh?: Basically: salty liquorice powder.

Where is all that salt coming from? Must be the leather. It's giving me a headache combined with the lilac that is coming through when it starts to dry. It has a distinct ammonia scent to it. :ack:

Dry: Yup it's the leather. The lilac fougere is very nice. The über-sweetened liquorice/leather really isn't.

It's not a bad scent at all once it's dry. I can get why people like it but the decant I have of it is enough for me right now.

I am shocked at how much I like this! :eek: I typically avoid anything masculine or reminiscent of men's cologne like the plague. And while this one does start off quite masculine, the drydown is stunning! It's soft, slightly sweet, and ethereal, and probably the first scent with leather that I can actually wear. Since it is fairly unisex, add me to the list of gals who want to try it on their SO!! I'm not sure I'll wear it too frequently, but as a huge fan of Labyrinth, I love having it as part of my collection! :wub2:

Wet, this is quite similar to Dorian, though with a touch of lavender and lilac. It is also more masculine, though I find Dorian not to be masculine at all. Dry, not so Dorian-like. More of a musky lavender floral, with a bit of the warm Dorian vanilla. Masculine in a delicate sort of way if that makes sense. It suits the character well. I'm not sure this is 'me', I'd be interested in smelling it on a guy to see how it reacts with male chemistry. I'm on the fence with this one, I like it, not sure if I'd wear it, but it may be a nice comforting bedtime scent.

Jareth in the bottle smelled very boy-ish. Cloves and peppermint-y. I put it on my husband. It smells like him after he eats a couple of peppermint candies. On dry down, it smells like him after he's drunk a couple of Jones Cream Sodas. Apparently my husband smells like a goblin king.

oooh this is pretty. i get the dorian-ness and an added leather note but not that super strong black leather note, more subtle and a bit sweet. this scent is very gleaming and otherworldly to me, perfect for jareth! i have been shying away from more masculine scents lately, but i am really liking this. i love dorian and i like leather as a note, so that's probably why. after about an hour, when the leather goes into the background, this one becomes perfect on me. warm sensual and golden but with a hint of the purpley lilac. kind of has a similar feel to TKO but less sweet and more "dark". i would love to wear this as a going out scent. it also is in the same vein as MAC MV3 which i also adore. definitely need a bottle of this one!

ITI: Pompous lilac fougere with the sweet understones of tonka and white musk. While the leather is missing in the imp, it is getting close to what I imagine Jareth would smell like.

Wet: When I first skin tested this about two months ago, the leather was much heavier. I still get the lilac fougere, but the sweetness is much more present, which is coming from the ti leaf and the tonka, with hints from the musk.

Dry: Sweet, but with some depth from the oude, ti leaf, and tonka (with plenty of musk). I like it.

I love this :wub2: The lilac is in check, the leather is perfectly proportioned.. To me this feels like a blend of TKO and Liz.. it's beautiful and easy to wear.

I love all of the listed notes in this and Dorian is one of my all time favorite scents, so I was so excited to try Jareth. Unfortunately, this turns cloying sweet on me and is like a lighter, sweeter Dorian with a weird leather note.

Jareth does smell a lot like Dorian with the sweet, vanilla-y, musky quality to it, but this is even sweeter than Dorian, which makes it smell kind of sickly on me. There's a whiff of dark, smoky leather underneath all the sweetness and it just doesn't feel right to me here. It's almost a bit off and sour.

Reminds me of Dorian layered with Perversion + extra sugar. And that sounds good to me, but it feels mismatched and is too sweet in reality. I'm glad I got a decant of this before going for a full bottle. I'll stick with Dorian.

jareth is definitely reminiscent of dorian, but lighter in feel, drier and not as sugary-sweet. it's more grown-up and definitely more masculine, and the musk is lighter and brighter. the leather is a very nice touch. i wish it lasted longer on me; my skin kind of swallows it up. i bet it will smell nice on my husband, though!

Thoughts before testing: Dorian is one of my all-time top ten BPALs, and when I heard rumors that Jareth was Dorian + leather, I was sold!

Wet: Oh shit. This is Dorian wrapped up in a sexy well worn leather bike jacket. I am in serious trouble. Seriously. It's not as sweet as Dorian on my skin, and the leather is very soft and not harsh at all.

Dry down: I'm swooning over here, Jareth is that good. As it dries, it gets a little deeper and more full-bodied if that makes sense at all. It definitely blossoms the more it dries.

Dry: The final dry down of this is much, much less sweet than Dorian is on me. And the leather in this is definitely my favorite leather ever in a blend.

Final thoughts: This is a terrific unisex blend; I definitely don't think it's too masculine for a woman to wear. I never got any lilac which is good because it would have wrecked this for me I think. It also lasts insanely long on my skin. I'm wearing it even in the dreadful heat and humidity now, but I can't wait for fall/winter so that I can scent all my scarves with Jareth. If you're waffling on this one, just go for it. This is truly a beautiful blend.

Verdict: :love!: You'd have to pry the bottle out of my cold dead hands, and I'm seriously considering a backup (to put this into perspective, out of all the oils I own, I only have 2 backups. This is serious business).

Jareth, even at ten years old I wanted to stay with you. So when I was gifted an imp of him I was over the moon. It started out as Dorian with some pepper and leather. Then it changed to just leather, then back to the vanilla from Dorian. This swap happened back and forth over the next three hours. Then it landed on the perfect musk finish. The whole time I just kept thinking of when he turns from an owl and back to the goblin king. This is a keeper and almost as sexy as some spandex pants.

First off, I am a Labyrinth/Jareth squee-ing fangirl. Have been since my teens, don't imagine it'll be changing anytime soon. That said, when I read all of the reviews and people kept bringing up Dorian (which I lovelovelove) I KNEW, just KNEW that I needed to get my mitts on Jareth. (heh.)

A wonderful forumite gifted me with a decant and the moment it touched my skin I started huffing it like a crazy person. I totally get what everyone is saying: Jareth is absolutely Dorian's more twisted and deviant older brother. I'm smelling the lilac fougere extremely consistently but the rest of the notes are playing ring-around-the-rosy with the lilac and I keep getting this lovely resin-y incense smell.

I'm not really getting any sweetness out of the blend but it is absolutely drop-dead sexy. I could absolutely believe that this is what a naked Goblin King smells like.... It's definitely on the cusp of masculine (for me) but it's a smell I want all over my sheets. I guarantee I'd have *extremely* pleasant dreams. :twisted:

All in all? It lacks the lemony-sweetness of Dorian but packs a super sexy punch.

I need more of this in my life.

*Wanted to include: Jareth is awesomely sexy but in the past 5-10 minutes he's faded to a whisper. A sexy whisper, but a whisper none-the-less. The Dorian that I slathered lower on my arm for comparison purposes is still going strong. This may just be a trick of my skin chemistry, but I figured I'd mention it. ;)

Sniff: ozone with floral hints, bright & sharp

Wet: I get a strong cologne vibe from this. It's sharp and vibrant, kind of like fresh ginger, and there's definitely a floral musk underneath those high notes. I don't get any leather, but there's something kind of earthy & buttery

Dry: As this dries, the earthy vibe gets stronger, becomes rotten & sour. It's the oudh, doing its typical nasty thing on me, turning everything into stinky burning rubber. I was hoping the other awesome notes would make this blend OK, but the oudh strikes again! :ack:

Got a frimp of Jareth at NYCC!

Like everyone else, I am a huge fangirl of Jareth, so I was really happy to get a frimp of this.

In the imp, Jareth smells like tea with a bit of citrus and spice. Nice, but nothing to call home about.

However, on my skin, Jareth becomes beautiful. It's an ethereal, shimmering, gleaming, otherworldly beauty. I can barely pick out the notes, they're blended so well- all the notes are swirling together into a gorgeous cologne that both lifts my spirits and breaks my heart. Oh my gosh, I love this. :heart: My only complaint is that he clings to me. I wish there was more throw!

To be honest, I think it would be better on a boyfriend than on me, but this blend just does something to me, y'know? Smelling it brings all these wonderful feelings and images to mind. I think I need a bottle!