Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Jareth

"I ask for so little.
Just let me rule you…
and you can have everything that you want.

Just fear me…
…love me…
…do as I say and I will be your slave."

Ethereal lilac fougere and gleaming leather with ti leaf, tonka absolute, white musk, and oudh.

Jareth is definitely an older delinquint brother of Dorian's...they have that same smooth vanilla-musky swagger, but there is a subtle leather note layered in there, that definitely makes Jareth the bad boy of the bunch - You know, that vibe that says, "While my brother is sipping tea with the ladies, I'm stealing their children!" This, like Dorian, is very unisex I feel, though maybe bordering on the masculine side - though not so much that it's out of place for a woman to wear it. This for sure, is an amazing scent!

out of 5 stars: 4.5

:wub2:

"I wish the Goblin King would come take ME away...Right now!"

I'm definitely getting the lilac fougere and white musk. I think the other notes are in the background. This is ethereal, mysterious, and very sexy, just like Jareth.

Jareth is beautiful, yet masculine. I get a base of tonka, for sure, and the leather isn't exactly worn-in but more smooth/gleaming. Layered over those is the perfect amount of white musk, and then the lilac fougere on top is just to die for, especially mixed with the tea!

Although I would categorize this as masculine, it's definitely accessible enough that I feel that I can actually wear it instead of just appreciate it. A definite keeper. For me, it's well within the Severin/Theodosius family that I adore, and Jareth is even better in that I can get more of it whenever I want!

In the bottle I smell spicey wood and a hint of tonka, which is pretty much what I get while it's wet. Once it dries I get a bit of spicey smokey wood with the perfect amount of vanilla from the tonka. The leather starts coming through and has a very smooth scent to it that I love. The lilac fougere is amazing (it was the one element in Jareth I was worried about) and seems to tease through the rest of the scents and makes me love Jareth that much more. I feared it might be too masculine, but I think it will work for any gender. About the only disappointing aspect of Jareth was the fact that it stuck pretty close to my skin (though I could still smell it twelve hours later as long as my nose was pressed close to my skin). Definitely my favorite scent from BPAL thus far :wub:

I was so worried by all the reviews comparing it to Dorian because that one just did not work on me. It just smelled washed out somehow. Jareth however is grounded by the leather and some woods, and it's much better on me! I still get the sweet clean note from Dorian, but that's just half the picture. It's not too masculine, and I could see myself wearing this a lot. I was hoping for more white musk, but really this is a winner. I've been wearing it for a few hours now and it's still there going strong. Good stuff!

This smells like the embodiment of exactly how sexy David Bowie is as Jareth, bulge and all. :lol: This is definitely in the Dorian family, kind of like a hybrid of Dorian and Mysterious Warning. It actually doesn't smell very lilac-dominant, at least on me; the notes I get the most are the vanillic tonka and ethereal white musk grounded by mysterious oude and second-skin black leather with light florals wafting around. Instant love.

In the bottle - traditional masculine cologne smell. Nice, nothing special. Also nothing scary. A BPAL newbie could smell this and not be afraid to try it.

1st wet - Lilac for a second, then LEATHER. Clean leather. Not brand-new, but not broken-down either. Well worn but meticulously kept.

Dry - Tonka (which smells like vanillaness, but does not go plastic on me like real vanilla does), spiced wood, sex.

Very dry - a sweet, sexy, close-to-skin musk.

Honestly, this is SUPER SEXY, and gorgeous, and it makes me feel wrong because it smells like I'm cheating on my husband. He usually wears more romantic blends (Oisin). This will smell SO good on him. It smells fantastic on me - but because of the musk it smells like it rubbed off, rather than was applied. :twisted:

This will be in heavy rotation.

To me, Jareth smells like spice tea, lemon and leather. So, yes there's something that echoes both Dorian and Mysterious Warning, but the tonka adds a level of warmth to it. Slightly manly, but not overtly so.

Warm, sexy, alluring.

Never smelled lilac fuegere before, but I like it!

Overall this blend strikes me as ethereal and light, I do get the musk, tonka, leather and lilac, no one more dominate then the other. Very sensual and evocative of Jareth, with a touch of wistful longing in it. Not overpowering or long wearing, but I bet it will age well.

Edit: wore this today for the first all day run, and I LOVE the Oud/Tonka drydown combo! Smokey and warm, and deeply yummy. :)

A winner!

Edited by Larinessa

i'm both glad and saddened by the fact that i'm not the only one who thinks this smells like Dorian.

i prefer Dorian, though, by a landslide.

If Dorian were part of the Phoenix Steamworks series, this is how i'd have expected it to smell. a slightly more masculine and... steampunk-y...version of Dorian.

i just knew i'd like this, so i bought a bottle... wish i'd just gotten a decant :(

For the first couple of minutes of Jareth I swear, the heavens parted, and David Bowie himself came singing from on high. :eek: There was the thick heady lemony-tea of Dorian, but with leather, sprinkled with bits of lilac. I was in heaven! Then the oud came in and ruined it, shunting all the other notes aside and turning smexy Jareth into band-aids. GAH! :cry2: I'm glad this is part of the permanent line, as I'll tuck away my decant and hope the oud calms down and quits ruining this otherwise awesome blend for me.

EDIT: On a whim I tried this on Mr. WhiteElf and OF COURSE on him it smells like leathery, lilacy WIN. ARGH, that cinches that oudh is a death note on me. :/ But I can still get a bottle to slather on him, right?

EDIT2: Tried again during Shark Week since I've heard it can change one's body chemistry (and thus scents) and OMG, this is everything I wanted! The oudh's behaving, and Jareth is lilac tea leather heaven. So what if I can only wear it one week out of the month, I'm grabbing a bottle!

Edited by thatbrownelf

Jareth is a sexy, sexy mix of Dorian (definitely the fougere) and..villain maybe. At first I thought it was going to be too masculine for me to wear, although it would smell amazing on my husband, but as it dries down I get a lot more....hm. Wood and leather? It's a very grounded scent. I loves it but on my skin it couldn't be more different than Dorian.

I am so excited to try this! :wub2:

Oh, yeah. Even just sniffing the decant yields a similarity to Dorian from this blend. In the vial, it smells like Dorian with a less overpowering level of sugar and vanilla. I am suitably intrigued. Honestly, what this really reminds me of when it starts to dry down is The Bow and Crown of Conquest. They have a lot of similar notes: both share leather and white musk, Jareth has oude where TBACOC (laziness much?) has cedar, and Jareth has tonka where TBACOC has vanilla. I'm going to have to death match these two because just from memory, I'm quite certain that I don't need both. Jareth is basically TBACOC with lilac instead of carnation and sage.

On my weird skin, this is STRONG leather with a little bit of Theodosius (Dorian's less sweet brother) in the background. It is almost all leather, it is only when I sniff it up close that I can smell the sweetness. The leather backs off a bit the longer it wears on my skin, but it is the star of the show. I will age it a bit and see if the leather can chill a little, because it has potential to be really lovely, but right now the leather is just a bit too strong for me.

ETA; The late late drydown of this allows the sweet musky quality to blend with the leather and it is great! Hopefully aging will let this happen more quickly.

Edited by heartlilly

This smells like a sexy man. The fougere really is similar to the one in Dorian, but this is SO MUCH BETTER. Dorian was way too sweet and cloying for me, and the fougere was overpowering. I can't really individually pick out the other notes, but they all blend together perfectly to balance out the fougere. It's perfectly balanced. The throw seemed medium to light, but then again I don't slather. It is a little more masculine than I will actually wear, but I really really like this. If the boything were a scent wearing sort I'd slather him, but alas...

Oh. My. God.

This leather is similar to the note used in Clockwork Couture: Female, which is one of my favorite scents ever. That, combined with the Dorianishness of the white musk, tonka, and lilac fougere means I am buying all the bottles, right the fuck now.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

This is one of those rare scents that actually made me gasp out loud when I opened the decant. Followed by immediate slathering.

Jareth, as many have said, is clearly on the same order as Dorian with its strong sugared musk quality, but I have to agree also with Venneh: that it has a similar tonka-and-leather vibe as Clockwork Couture: Female (though it's not totally feminine by any means-- I think this would be drool-worthy on a man). I love both those scents, but Jareth is still its own distinct thing. There's a slightly spicy, woodsy base to it, and just a breath of lilac hovers at the edges, misty and suggestive but barely floral and definitely not overpowering. Everything is very well balanced. The "gleaming" leather had me concerned, but it is not a chemical leather note, it's sleek and warm and is kept in check by the other elements. It's great fresh, and I imagine it will age extremely well.

Sexy as hell. I want to wear this forever.

WoW this got me by suprise :eek:

Jareth was one of my first childhood crushes, so of course I wanted the perfume to work on me, but since Dorian is a big sugared-stomache-turning-lemoncake-mess on my skin and Jareth had been compared to Dorian, I had no high hopes.

In the bottle: Uh! Oh! Strong mens cologne. Am I sure i want that on my skin?!

On the skin wet: It imediately tones down and its getting sweeter.

On the skin dry: Yep thats Dorian alright but the leather and smoke background makes it much more sexy and naughty and on me it stops the Dorian aspect from turning into a sticky sickening mess.

After 1 hour: It mellows down on me much faster then Dorian but I like that. Dorian was to crazy strong on me, which was one of the reasons I couldnt stomache Dorian. Its like the Goblin King is followering me around silently, wispering forbidden things in my ears, which nobody else can hear :yum:

Verdict: This one is definately very sexy and while its wearable for man and woman its leaning to the masculin side. I am not the person to wear masculin scents normally, but then again I also cant do Dorian.

Jareth made it to win my heart again, this time in scent form. The scent is comforting and sexy and I just want to curl up next to it.

I can imagine it as sleep perfume as well.

I never thought I would say that when I ordered a decant of Jareth, but i need several bottles of Jareth in my life.

If this is what Sarah smelled when she faced Jareth, once more I cant understand how she could say no to him :thud:

"Yes Jareth!

I will fear you…

…love you…

…do as you say and you can be my slave!"

Edited by DahliaHayashi

I got an empty of this with my Tanuki Decant Circle package. This smelled so. very. sexy. in the bottle, musk and leather with a touch of lilac. Sadly, on me, it flattens. I don't know what ti leaf, tonka absolute, or oudh smell like, but I suspect it's at least one or two of those coming out strong on me. The sexiness goes away and it just becomes leather with some flowers. It smells like a dignified old gentleman who used to be quite the lover but find his interests elsewhere now. Not my favorite on me. I bet that there are certain people it would smell AMAZING on.

In bottle: It’s pale lilac and fern colored sort of scent. It really does feel like Jareth looks. Call it lilac fougere dominant, with ti leaf a strong second. It’s one of the softer leather scents leading a coalition of white musk, oudh, and tonka 9listed strongest to softest). It’s well blended and balanced, ethereal and more than a little wicked. It’s a bit softer than I’d hoped, but lovely. Wet: Still fougere dominant, but the oudh makes it’s move to a strong second, taking ti leaf as strong support. Then.it warms a little further and the leather asserts itself strongly overtaking everything to be co-equal with the lilac fougere. It’s quite the morpher. This is what I’d consider a mid-level leather, with some of the sharp, chemical edge that characterizes black leather, but nowhere near as strong, and some of the softer more supple feel of the gentler leather notes in the catalog. Best not to try this one if you don’t like the stronger leather notes, though in this blend it’s toned down enough to play really well with the delicate notes that make up this blend. Dry: Leather dominent, wwhith quite a bit of musk. A touch of fougere and tonks lingering.

I put some on and it smelled identical to my memory of Dorian, but when I did an actual side-by-side of the two, Dorian was definitely sweeter and more lemony. But it has the same sort of sweet, pale-musky, vanillic fougere base as Dorian. The drydown adds a fabulous light smoky leather note. It's similar enough to Dorian that I'm not running out to buy a bottle (I have a decant and that should do me fine for a while) but I'd be hard pressed to say which would win in the inevitable deathmatch; I really like the fresh lemony note in Dorian, but also really like that soft leather drydown in Jareth. Anyway, it's really lovely and I'm glad it's in the GC!

I made a point of not looking at the notes when I sniffed my decants-- I ordered them about a month ago, so it was easy to forget the particulars. What struck me about this is that it seemed like a hybrid of two BPAL scents I already love-- it had the sugary near-citrus dusting of Hungry Ghost Moon (which is odd, as I see no citrus notes, so it's probably the tonka playing tricks on my nose) and the soft, tea-stained musk of Dorian (which is probably the fougère, though I detected no lilac). Jason and I both skin-tested this one (upon sniffing, he readily presented me with his wrist), and it was lovely on both of us, which is fitting for a scent having to do with David Bowie. On my skin, it went sweeter, but always had a lovely woody base, which I assume is the oudh. There was no citrus. I forsee this being a bottle purchase, and being stored in the bathroom so we can both get at it. Delicious.

In decant: oh yes~ this is absolutely lovely. Dorian (that is, lovely sweet creamy tea), but less sweet and foody, and a very present leather. Definitely more masculine, but relatively gender neutral, just hinting on the masculine side.

Wet on skin: yeap, definitely a more masculine Dorian, but I think that's mostly the leather. I'm really liking this! Leather and a whiff of creamy tea. If Dorian is gender neutral but leaning towards the feminine side, this is the same, only leaning towards the masculine side.

Dry: you know what? This is like a Liz'd Dorian. Seriously. I actually busted out some Liz to see, and while the leather note is not the same (but then, my Liz is aged, this new fairly new I'd suppose), the leather note here does the same thing as the leather note in Liz. Lovely, sexy, but so wearable. Leather with a touch of creamy tea and a hint of sweetness. I did a full-day test of this and it's got decent staying powder, and all soft lovely leather at the end of the day.

Verdict: my, I WRESTLED with this blend. Yes, this is almost at the brink of "too masculine" for me. But gosh, I am liking this a whole lot better than Dorian, which I'd been feeling guilty about. I waffled big time, telling myself I will be good and not get it, that is IS a touch bit masculine for me, but the next moment I'm all "it is SEXY and YUMMY and FARK I WANT IT" lol.

This actually reminds me of Crowley in some ways, with the leather-vanilla-lilac cologne combination. (The tonka in Jareth is reading as vanilla to my nose.) Except, where Crowley is thick and heady from the oakmoss, patchouli, wood, and red musk, Jareth is a bit sweeter and sharper from the tea and white musk. I do get a bit of citrus in Jareth, I assume from the tea. I think this is also similar to Dorian, as others have already said.

To me, the strongest notes are the lilac - which is sweetened by the tonka - and leather. I really like it and I think I'll wear it a lot!