Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

All I smell is light lavender, which is my mother's scent. It doesn't have much personality.

However, it makes a great linen spray and adds dimension to spicy/incense scents.

Hmm... the description kind of scared me, seeing as it mentioned lavender and all

<sidetrack>

why have I suddenly got so many imps with lavender in it? For the most part, they're all random frimps/ebay winnings where something else in the group tempted me, is someone trying to tell me to relax?

</sidetrack>

... but in the imp, it's not that lavendery to my nose ... shall give it a try then hey? (:

Wet on skin, I do smell ylang ylang + gardenia, there's something sweet, slightly baby powdery, the lavender isn't that obvious... it's quite bright at first.

Dry, it's creamy sweet florals and powder. Something in there that I think is from the sandalwood...

Who'd have thought, something with lavender in it, that I think is wearable ? (Then again I have dorian on the way, and am fully aware of what usually makes up a fougere ... eeep!)

ETA: Hours later, post-washing up dishes (made lemony cupcakes with lemon + ginger syrup to drizzle!), I'm wondering what smells so nice ... and it's the little patch of skin where I'd tested Veil. It's all creamy and sweet and gentle and round ... One of those blends that justifies the decision to test everything that comes my way (:

Edited by Girl Android

In the bottle, this is a medium-weight floral. I think it’s the ylang ylang that’s really standing out to me, mostly, though I could be mistaken. It reminds me of something, but I can’t say what. It makes me think of childhood family reunions, although this isn’t a scent I’d expect my family to have around, so I’m not sure why. Enigmatic is right.

When I put it on… It pretty much smelled the same. :P Although for some reason that mystery, what it reminded me of, wasn’t so present. Which is odd, because I didn’t think the scent had changed that much. I’m not smelling anything I recognize as sandalwood, despite its being in the description, and that sort of disappoints me. I had been looking forward to a sandalwood/floral combo. In the end, though, I found I liked it pretty well despite it not being what I’d hoped for. I could see wearing this on a regular basis when I want to feel girly.

I received an imp of this from a lovely Forumite :P

In the vial: lavender and ...is that lilac?

Wet: gardenia (I think) is pouncing on everything

Dry: the orris and violet are a really pretty combination. I'm on the fence about a big bottle, but I will enjoy my imp. :D

Veil

In the imp it is green and sharp. Not at all the picture the discription painted for me.

Wet the scent calms down a little. Now the flowers are really coming out. Strong on the gardenia, and there's the lilac. The sandalwood is very soothing..

When it is dry, it certianly is a quiet scent. It turns powdery.. it reminds me of scented body powder I use to have. Quiet, hardly there, but every now and then you catch it's scent - it's wonderful.

Definietly a keeper, and will probably become a big bottle.

Frimp :P

In the vial: herbal/floral

Wet: same

Dry: This dries down to a quiet, soft and powdery (in a good way, in my book) floral. It's hard for me to discern the different florals, because they blend and complement eachother very well, but I think I get mostly (whispy, not heavy) gardenia, ylang ylang, lilac, and lavender (which gives the blend a herbal tone, but fear not lavender-haters, it is not overpowering). For some reason Mia Farrow in the Great Gatsby pops into my mind.

I really like this scent and will enjoy the imp very much! Maybe later in my BPAL experience, I will get more of this, it is really lovely, soft, pale and feminine.

Wet, Veil smells like Dirty, except sweeter and more floral.

On the drydown, I can definitely smell the flowers in Veil. It's a lovely, slightly powdery floral. It makes me think of a demure young lady in a pale lilac dress.

It's not overtly sexy, but it reminds me of that feeling you get when you spy someone you like and you get that bubbly rush, but you do your best not to let it show because it just wouldn't be proper.

Sweet, girly floral. Violets dominate for me, but I can pick out lilacs and lavender lurking as well. I wish the white sandalwood was more predominant - it might be more my cup o' tea. But it's too girly floral for me.

I'm not big on girly florals but this is rather nice. It has just enough sandalwood and unspoken mystery to pull it off.

In the imp: Lilac and gardenia incredibly sweet.

Wet on the skin: I don't mind sweetness but this is almost sickeningly so.

Drying down: It's coming together nicely, I smell other florals coming through but the lilac is in the forefront, and the sweetness is becoming bearable.

Dry: The sandalwood comes up and the florals find a nice place just beyond it. Softer, powdery in a nice way. Victorian lilac with a warm wood edge. Dryish. Like a lovely scented letter.

I'm surprised I like this so much. It was light yet had staying power. I'm going to use this imp up, and if it continues to make me keep smelling my wrists like it's been doing, I just may look into a big bottle.

Strange, I never woulda thunk it :P

A pretty, sweet floral. The gardenia is pretty strong on my skin, but the lilac is giving it a run for its money. Although I like lilac, there are some other BPAL blends with lilac that I like better than this one. However, this isn't bad at all. It smells soft, like petals. Pretty. Feminine. I like it.

On, wet: a jumble of florals.

Near drydown: the gardenia is giving this an unpleasant sharpness.

Far drydown: pleasant - soft, mild, airy floral.

It does evoke the name - I see a wispy veil floating in the breeze.

Very very soapy in the bottle, and sadly stays that way on me. My scent journal (yes I keep one so I know what scents to buy after the imps run out or what to try again in case it was the weather and what makes me really not happy) says "I smell like I just washed my hair with floral shampoo twenty times". *sigh*

In the imp: gentle, lightly sweet floral - a hint of everything, stronger on the lilac, gardenia and ylang ylang, followed by lavender and violet.

Wet: Pretty much the same as in the imp, only the lilac backs off and there's more of a hint of lavender and violet around the edges. The sandalwood is a nice base, not prominent but I can tell it's there. This is the most like its description - a quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic - of any (of the admittedly small sample) of the bpal I've tried so far, and I love it.

Dry: And then disaster strikes. The lilac and pretty much everything else packs up and goes, and I'm left with gardenia and ylang ylang scented soap. :P I really liked this wet.

Edited by dzurlady

The lab description lists this as a quiet scent, and indeed, it's a little too quiet for me. It's mostly a very, very soft violet. I love all the notes, but I was hoping for more presence. Perfect for someone who wants a very subtle floral, though!

I squealed when I smelled this. It is the softest, most lovely lavender that ever was! I love lavender, but it can tend to be a little sharp...this one was gentle and kind. It is subtle and sweet, but not too sweet.

I need a big bottle!! :P

In the imp: A light and 'summer sheets' mixture of sandalwood, gardenia, lavender, violet and orris. I don't pick up on as much lavender as most people; what I tend to smell is the violet.

Wet: The violet is even more prominent here, and the orris (which my skin amps) is also noticeable. I'm still really not picking up on the lavender or the sandalwood.

Drydown and wear: This really is a violet, orris and gardenia blend on me. It is very light, though not as airy as it comes off as in the imp (this is not quite in the Dirty family, I'd say). It's very pretty, but I generally like deeper violets, and I think I'm going to put this one up for swap.

strong but soft, very similar to le serpent qui danse! the similarity is striking, but this one is less sweet, and a little bit more green. really nice. the drydown is very green.

it's a close to skin scent and the bad thing is that it doesn't really last (on my skin at least)

When I first applied this, it smelled like...plastic to me. It was really bad and I don't know what part of it would smell that way. After a few minutes, the plastic smell went away and it got floral...really floral. Very violet. Too floral girly for me. This was a frimp, but unfortunately not for me. :P

In the bottle, Veil smelled soo lovely. I couldn't wait to try this frimp.

Unfortunately, it went straight to soap on me as well. :P

Like Tokyo Stomp, it does layer well on me.

In bottle/imp: creamy, light sandalwood and sharp lavender.

Immediately on skin: This blend is starting out very sharp on me. I can detect the sandalwood, but it’s being drowned out by the sharp florals in the blend.

After a few minutes: This smells a little like honeysuckle... which is weird since BPAL's honeysuckles seem to turn to powder on me, and there's no honeysuckle in this. It's a nice soft floral with a creamier note underneath. It's very pretty and complex.

Later on: This fades to a very pleasant floral laced with sandalwood. It's slightly warm and comforting.

In the imp: Sweet flowers and something that reminds me of a kitchen herb/spice rack. Weird.

Wet on me: Ugh, there's that violet note that smells like paint to me. This smells like chopped roots. (Orris?)

The imp I have of this seems fairly aged; I wonder if it's nicer fresh.

After five minutes: Roots, grass clippings, dirt...herbal smells but all very low-to-the-ground. Strangely I'm not picking up any lavender, which in BPAL blends is usually very sharp to me. A touch of pretty lilac and powdery ylang-ylang.

Drydown: Grass clippings and powdery ylang-ylang. Sweet violets. I have to say this is not really winning me over...

Suspiro is a similar scent which I like a lot more.

In the imp: the echo of lilac, with ylang ylang and sandalwood

On the wrist: As with all sandalwood blends, the sandalwood amps immediately. I can also smell violet, and the throw is entirely floral. On drydown, I’m getting what I think is the gardenia. It has a sourish smell to it, as if it’s causing the lilacs to wilt and wither.

After half an hour, that seems to have stopped. My right wrist has eaten the scent almost completely. I don’t understand how the two wrists are so different, when I put the same amount on both. The left wrist is still tangy, but it’s got a lovely floral waft. The violets are just about drowned out, but I find that whilst eating them, too: if you eat violets at the same time as roses (or any other edible flower), they get drowned out.

Crap! I just spilt this all over my fingers opening the imp. I am quickly seeing the draw of bottles, particularly with arthritis...

Wet: Pretty flowers.

FS. And I just forgot and rubbed my nose a few minutes later. LOTS of pretty flowers. Starting to catch bits of sandalwood, which is yay.

Drydown: Mainly catching the sandalwood and gardenia, I think. However, I'm not very good at identifying the other scents beyond lavender usually not working for me. Seems to be here though. \o/

Probably going to have to review this again sometime when I haven't accidently gotten it on my nose. Bwar.

Several hours later: Faintly floral, with a touch of sandalwood. I'm curious how well this would blend with Hymn..

Wet: Sweet iris twinned with violets and a heavy splash of lavender. A bit tart at first, but that goes away quickly.

Drydown: The heady intoxication of the florals wears off and the scent deepens a bit as the sandalwood comes to the fore. The sweetness of ylang ylang also peeks out.

Dry: Soft, feminine and barely there, Veil clings closely to the skin. Nice, subtle and definitely a great work scent.

Verdict: Classic. I could see myself owning a bottle of this.