Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Veil
In the Vial: Violet! Yum! And... a sweet white floral, lily? Gardenia? Ah yes, gardenia.

Wet: Whoa, the soft powder yields to a v sharp smelling floral.

Drydown: As it starts to dry, it mellows out, not nearly as sharp anymore. The soft violet comes back along with the powdery orris (which I love and hate in some blends).

Verdict: This is STUNNING! It's a very traditional perfume. Definite white floral, classic. I love this, perhaps not enough to get a bottle for now, but am for sure keeping my imp. I want to compare this to one of Chanel's slightly more exclusive EDTs, Gardenia. Hm, the more I sniff, the more I wonder if I do want to spring for a bottle. Lest it becomes discon'd soon (yes, the recent discons have me anxious). :P

In the imp: Flowers. I can pick up jasmine and violet distinctly against a hodge-podge of other flowers.

Wet: Hello jasmine! The jasmine is floating above the rest of the floral mass that makes me think of white and yellow flowers all in a heaped pile.

Dry: Um... I think my nose is broken. In a good way. I smell coconut milk. Or, more specifically frangipani flowers floating on a pool of coconut milk. Not at all what I think this is supposed to smell like, but it is DIVINE and to die for.

A long while later: There is just a light breathe of unidentifiable florals against my skin. Very clean and fresh smelling. And oddly enough, slightly creamy. BEAUTIFUL.

imp: sandalwood with orris/violet.

wet: the gardenia is pretty strong on me, the orris/violet scent is in the background alongside the sandalwood and other florals. the ylang ylang is (thankfully!) nowhere to be seen.

dry: gardenia and orris. if the orris (or violet) were slightly stronger i would consider a bottle. as it is, the gardenia is just a little too strong.

In the bottle this is very strong, reminding me of gasoline at first.

Upon application it is very green, sharp and earthy.

As it dries down, I smell more of the violet and lavendar, coming together in the perfect union. Two of my favorite scents, I love how they come together in this fragrance, with the sandalwood creating a strong depth under the two.

It's like a stroll through a forest, stopping to pluck a bouqet of fresh violets and lavendar. (not that they grow in the forest, but you get the point)

In the frimp, I'm getting lavender and sandalwood. Something tells me this isn't going to work well. On my skin, I get a faint floral for about five seconds before going to nothing. Stupid lavender. Swaps/sale.

Dear Veil,

When I said you could stay the night I had no intention of trying you out so soon.

This morning, though I was a bit offended by your strong approach straight off, I decided to give you a shot.

As a BPAL virgin, I always thought I would save myself for THE ONE, but these things often don't go as planned.

I had a hard time knowing what to do at first. I wanted to take it slow, but clearly that was not on your agenda. At one point, while you weren't looking I had to take a few puffs of my inhaler.

You were very sweet, which may be nice for some, but I found it a bit nauseating.

After a while you lightened up and became bearable, but it just seems like you've got some stuff going on that I'm not that eager to deal with. You remind me of a flower shop I used to work at, but much more overpowering. It's hard for me to pick out exactly what it is about you that isn't working, but instead of finding you mysterious, I just found you cloying and upfront.

So Veil, while I appreciate the experience, I just know there will be someone out there who is willing and able to give you the love and appreciation you deserve.

Trust me, Veil, it's not you...It's me.

In the bottle: Light floral

Wet: A light floral. It doesn't fade out immediately, it doesn't turn to powder as it once did. Interesting. I can make out something like lily--apparently the gardenia. As I smell it, I find myself thinking, "Now, what is that note? The orris, of course" I have no idea whether I'm right about that. I think I can distinguish the sandalwood, too.

Dry: This blend has a low throw, but not "your nose must touch my arm" low. The sandalwood comes out more strongly as time goes on and adds a nice dimension to the floral. I am willing to bet that it was the sandalwood that caused Veil to turn to powder on my skin when I first tried it. The lilac becomes more noticeable too, a benefit for me, as I love lilacs.

This was a lab frimp-I probably hadn't yet tried to get a hold of this one because sandalwood (and most woods really) tend to amp on me. But I like the florals listed in this, especially violet and lavender, so I am curious as to how this will be on me.

In the imp it's a misty, sweet floral with an undertone of sandalwood. Pretty and subdued.

I would say on my skin the gardenia is the strongest-the sandalwood is behaving quite well so far, laying low under the surface of the florals. For lavender haters, don't worry, it's barely noticeable here. As it sits, the sweet violet comes out a lot more. This is a soft, sweet, misty pastel scent. As I mentioned before, I usually overamp woods, but the sandalwood is just perfect here, grounding the blend from being zomg too floral.

This dried down less sweet-more of a muted sandalwood blend with a touch of flowers-and it is super rare for me to like a sandalwood blend so much, but this really quite gorgeous. I'm not sure I'm going to run out for a bottle right now, but it just may get added to my list of one days...

:::VEIL:::

A Veil can be used to obscure and hide away features or, one supposes, to imply a barrier of modesty or virtuousness. Veil, by any standard is a beautiful scent.

Veil seems to be set from more of a perspective of lending an air of mystique and intrigue than that of oppressive secrecy or concealment. The Violets in this fragrance are head-over-heels, incomparably lovely.

There is something crisp and green underlying the sweetness of this fragrance that brings to mind cool and crunchy cucumber.

Veil would make it's wearer peacock-proud.

Though this could be worn by either gender, Veil is probably better suited for She of the Drowning-pool eyes.

Top-notch!

A very light, floral and feminine perfume. Definitely a springy sort of scent. The lilac, gardenia, and violet are the most prevalent-I don't really get any wood from this at all.

In the imp and wet on my skin: powdery candied violets (blech). I resisted my impulse to wash it off and the scent has finally toned down to a light floral I can live with. Okay, but definitely not a favorite.

First Sniff: Something sharp and crisp, the lilacs perhaps?

Wet: Very floral and fresh. There are definitely a lot of flowers in this! I think I can smell iris now too.

Dry: Now I can smell the lavender, albeit faintly. And the sandalwood came through after the dry down too. I was worried that the sandalwood would be too strong and overpowering, but it’s not, it complements the florals nicely. Ooh, and there’s the gardenia, yay!

Throw: Not really. Most scents turn very light on me and I never really get any throw. That’s ok though, I wear these for me anyway!

My Reaction: As others have said, it is very light and fresh smelling, a perfect scent for springtime. It doesn’t remind me of hidden mysteries so much as flowers bursting with color under the warm sun. This is definitely a scent for females only! I like it as it smells happy and reminds me of a perfect spring day.

Rating 1-5: 3.5

I admit, once in a while...... I really like a pretty flowery perfume. Veil is very balanced if you enjoy gardenia or violet, which I do in this case.

I need several bottles of this to play around with layering scents.

As the saying goes, "SWEET".

Bunbun

For all the floral notes I see that are in this blend I am surprised I can even keep this on me to test and review it. It is a well blended floral since no individual floral note pops out on me. I get a zesty note in here too that may be part of the "perfumey" part. It has a strong throw. It is not terrible, but it is not for me since I can not do the floral stuff. If you love :heart: florals this is a great blend to try out.

In the Imp: dusty violets

Wet on Skin: Sweet orris tainted by icky violets. I can't detect sandalwood or lavender. The heavy florals swamp the good notes.

While Drying: heady florals - not my style

After a Little While: This dried down to pure violets (not orris, just the actual violets), maybe a touch sweeter than violets usually are, but violets hate me.

Veil earns a 2/5 on my skin.

Veil is very similar to Nocturne to me, which is one of my favorites, but it is a bit more astringent on the nose, if that makes sense. it might be the jasmine that makes this one too strong, but overall, it's the violet that comes through most. Once the strongness of the scent wears off, you get a nice violet sandalwood, but it is very close to the skin. I think I would like that combo without having to go through a jasmine phase. I'll stick with Nocturne and sugary Faith for my violet.

Veil

I keep trying blends with violet thinking maybe one will work someday. Well, so far, none have. In the vial, it smells kind of dusty/powdery, with the weird chemical smell that violet causes. Tried a small test patch.... gross violet. :cry2: I enjoy most of the other notes, but I can't smell them with the violet. Off to swaps.

Veil was part of my recent 'give the florals a chance' campaign.

Unfortunately, all it does is remind me of why I boycotted them in the first place...in the vial, it's actually a mildly warm, balanced blend. Nothing stands out and it's pleasant though not noteworthy.

On my skin - not so much. After the first few seconds, it turns into a sharp, heady, bitter violet-lilac concoction and I had to wash it off.

Then I spilled the imp all over myself, my desk, and the floor. Evidently I'm being chastised for having an 'oh god hissss get it off' reaction to the lab's floral blends - not my fault, I'd like them if I could! :lol:

Wet: sweet violet and gardenia with a pouf of orris.

Drydown: lilac violet gardenia, less orris, more ylang ylang. The sandalwood is lessened by strong florals but I can detect it somewhat. Further into drydown, lavender comes out and slaps the violet in the face for screaming for a decade.

Nice and sweet, floaty, appropriate for the name, but not for me. Hanging onto it as my tastes change constantly!

Edited by SophieCedar

I wanted to love Veil - it starts out so pretty in the bottle. After about 30 minutes, all I can smell on my arm is the violet and I'm not a huge fan of florals.

Veil was a frimp.

Veil in the bottle to me is mostly violet with a little ylang-ylang and powdery orris.

Wet, I amp the violet so hard nothing else really comes through. Just a kind of sugary, almost candied violet. I LOVE violet, so this doesn't bother me at all.

Dry down, ylang-ylang comes back out, very gentle under the violet. Usually lavender is a funky, musty note of doom on me. It's not rearing its head in this, though. After about 45 minutes, I start getting whiffs of sandalwood.

This stays pretty and close to the skin. It lasts several hours. I didn't think I'd find a violet scent I liked better than Nocturne, but this is it. It works very nicely with my body chemistry.

aptKc.jpg

Oh, sandalwood. I want to love you, really, but you overpower EVERYTHING ELSE to such a degree that it gets obnoxious. Yes, I noticed you. Now please let me enjoy the other notes? -_-

In The Imp: Very strong. Not BEWARE OF HEADACHES like French Love, but it nearly knocked me flat when I first opened the imp. HELLOOOOOOO, NURSE SANDALWOOD! :unsure:

Application: Sandalwood.

Dry-Down: Sandalwood.

30-45 Minutes Later: Faded sandalwood.

This is the oil that took my BPAL Virginity - while I wanted it to be one of those ~*ONE TRUE LOVE*~ experiences, like 99% of the rest of the world, it didn't work out. Ah, well. Experience leads to wisdom, right? 85mYb.png

Edited by lavenderfrost

I am a lavender girl, and this one is light and soft. I was worried that it would be too sweet due to the other notes but the blend is lovely! Sandalwood is elegant amongst the other notes, fading soft and powdery. I must find more of this one.

In imp: sharp and green, slightly floral but no one note jumped out at me. It definitely smelled like the garden it says it is--a clean, sweet garden, with a good dash of green in it. Slightly generic, but somehow still rather interesting.

Wet on skin: the first note was definitely green, sharp and alert and a good upper for a sleepy morning. The flowers come after, and while I'm not sure I can really tell which scent goes with which flower yet, the topmost scent for me seems to be ylang ylang (it's doubly underlined in my notes). The sharpness recedes quickly, becoming softer and creamier.

Dry: still quite faithful to the wet on skin experience, but without the sharpness--a mellowed out garden, with different competing sweet scents but ylang ylang usually at the top or near enough. It's truly enigmatic--it's such a beautiful mix of scents that I can't stop sniffing to try and find out which is which, or to get more of something, only to find another that's just as pretty. It's soft and sweet and young, but not in a child or adolescent way, more like in an ageless, happy way. Much later, it's turned just a wee bit soapy, but that may be because it's become a very clean, very refreshing scent.

Verdict: VERY promising! I want to give it another shot before really deciding on a bottle, as there was a hint of oiliness in the smell for me, but that may be just me today. Only a hair from bottle-worthy because of that, otherwise I'm quite sold!